With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Because Kate Middleton handing Medvedev the Wimbledon trophy would mean WHAT? Other than: he won, she gave him the trophy. I mean, she does not have to French Kiss him...
And imagine the entire world ridiculing Vlad if he were to claim some sort of moral superiority or excuse for the invasion because "Daniil Medvedev just won Wimbledon". Where would the jokes end?
---0---
Rublev. I know I always say "never believe somebody that says 'believe me' ", but this time, do. Rublev is simply refusing to say anything because he knows what happens next time he opens his mouth or signs a camera lens saying "No war, Please". Those are the words of somebody that knows what it is like to live in a dictatorship.
---0---
@Mick. Thanks for that piece. A different and certainly more educated view of the issue, but in the end all opinions are converging to the same thing: this is one stupid decision, from all points of view.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:07 pm Because Kate Middleton handing Medvedev the Wimbledon trophy would mean WHAT? Other than: he won, she gave him the trophy. I mean, she does not have to French Kiss him...
She could just make Pippa do it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:12 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:07 pm Because Kate Middleton handing Medvedev the Wimbledon trophy would mean WHAT? Other than: he won, she gave him the trophy. I mean, she does not have to French Kiss him...
She could just make Pippa do it.
:rofl:
One more like that I am changing this forum's motto to LET'S JOKE ABOUT TENNIS...
(I find Kate to be pretty but, for my money and a weekend of real debauchery, yes, Pippa).
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:21 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:32 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: to Millman
Indeed, if the AELTC is so concerned for Ukraine, put you money where it matters. Say something like: "The AELTC will donate all the proceeding from this year's Championships for Ukrainian relief". Want to be cynical? "The AELTC will donate the same amount of money WON BY RUSSIAN AND BELORUSSIAN PLAYERS during this year's Championships for Ukrainian relief".
John Millman for Tennis Commissioner. He gets my vote.

Which is what Rublev said he suggested they should do.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am not a fan of Rublev because of his style. It does very little for my taste. But, as a person, he seems to be exactly the kind of player that one wants. Yes, he has broken racquets and sometimes he misbehaves a bit on court, but it is always aimed at himself.
So sign me up as a fan, for Rublev THE PERSON. Rublev the player I will watch and cheer for him, but it will take a lot before I become a fan of his game.
(Still, 1,000 times more enjoyable than Medvedev's).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I like Rublev as a player and I'm glad to see that he is a good person off court as well.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Kate doesn't award ish at Birmingham, Nottingham, Eastbourne, etc.. So why ban them everywhere else? I can see technically why Queen's Club would be problematic if they are worried about Wimbledon optics, though I'm not sure royals award anything at that tournament, I thought that was just the name.

If there's any truth to this, they couldn't come up with anything else less damaging to these players and setting a precedent? How about no photos or hand shaking with the royal family and the tournament director or one of the sponsor CEOs doing the trophy presentation, photo, and handshake as many other tournaments do?

Preventing a lot of points being earned or defended at these events that can have pretty far reaching consequences to certain players. Samsonova is a good example to me. It's lucky that the one tournament she won was in Germany I think, but still, you get my point. Thankfully she's done well enough since then, but she's gonna take a hit not being able to defend any of her Wimbledon points. I certainly didn't know her name in May of last year. Some other low ranked player whose game is well suited to grass that most of us have no clue about might miss out this time around because of this decision. Those few weeks on grass, the points and the money, were life changing to Samsonova's career trajectory.
Last edited by JazzNU on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by JazzNU »

Watch Sascha win this year and be in photos with Kate instead. 🤣🤣
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

With his Russian dad, mom and brother? :rofl: :thumbsup:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Maria Osorio

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She looks very pretty there. I gather in Madrid already.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MCOS no longer looks like a chubby kid in the face. I agree that she looks really nice in that picture.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:55 pm She looks very pretty there. I gather in Madrid already.
She might be, but this was taken in Bogota. Not sure if the Sonesta Hotel there is one you'd know, but that's where this is.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You are right. If you zoom on the picture, you can see the reflection across the street. And that is certainly NOT Madrid.
She is a very classical Colombian beauty. The long dark hair is mandatory in this country.