The Music Thread

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
MJ2004

Re: The Music Thread

Post by MJ2004 »

"It still sounds as fresh as if it was released this morning."
I can't quite agree with that. It certainly sounds very 80's. But that's not a bad thing. ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, totally. It sounds completely 80's, but there is no other band that sounds like that.
And thanks for the video link, but... if you thought I have not heard the song today, you are in for a surprise.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Watch (and listen to) the entire thing...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Lovely post..my son is a musician, can relate...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

To live in a civilized country...
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I am currently listening to:

Avalanche- Avril Lavigne
As It Was- Harry Styles
Bad Life- Sigrid, Bring Me The Horizon
So Good- Halsey
Head On Fire- Griff, Sigrid
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Other than Avril Lavigne, totally lost on these people.
Let me see what I have in my 8-Tracks... ;)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:39 pm Other than Avril Lavigne, totally lost on these people.
Let me see what I have in my 8-Tracks... ;)
Not even Harry Style?. He was a member of the huge boy band One Direction. One Direction is my favorite and all the members of the band are my favorites, especially Harry.
Last edited by Cuckoo4Coco on Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The problem with these new bands for me is that my hearing aid creates too much distortion when I play them. I am getting to the stage in which I need the music industry to create some device that I can plug DIRECTLY into my ears :)
Cuckoo, I am putting you on. But when I told you we are a bunch of grownups here, I was not lying. If I (because most people here are younger than me) were to start a rock band it would be called "Ponchi and the Wheelchairs". And our opening act would be "The Walking Canes".
You get my point. :)
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:35 pm I am currently listening to:

Avalanche- Avril Lavigne
As It Was- Harry Styles
So Good- Halsey

I agree w/Ponchi the only one I know is Avril Lavigne. Her 1st two CD's were the best. I'm more of a 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's kind of guy when it comes to most music. Some 60's too....but my musical tastes run all over the place. But, I do like Jazmine Sullivan and HER for newer artists.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

New England Nitemare wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:22 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:35 pm I am currently listening to:

Avalanche- Avril Lavigne
As It Was- Harry Styles
So Good- Halsey

I agree w/Ponchi the only one I know is Avril Lavigne. Her 1st two CD's were the best. I'm more of a 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's kind of guy when it comes to most music. Some 60's too....but my musical tastes run all over the place. But, I do like Jazmine Sullivan and HER for newer artists.
Since I was born in 2006, I am not up on much of the music from the 60's- 90's other than The Beatles, Madonna, and Nirvana. Jazzmine Sullivan and HER are awesome R & B,Pop musicians with great voices.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Avril and Harry and Halsey are the ones I've heard of. I like HER a lot. Motown, TSOP, Luther, Aretha, Nina Simone, Coltrane, Miles, Oscar Peterson, that's where my head is musically for the most part. Pharrell's early work is good too.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I love the band One Direction and all the members especially Harry Styles after they split up and went all solo. I also love other boy bands like The Jonas Brothers, DNCE, 5 Seconds of Summer, and Why Don't We . I also love the music Joe and Nick Jonas do on their own. That is mostly the stuff I listen to.

Most of all of you probably never heard of any of that other than maybe the Jonas Brothers and One Direction.

Most kids who are into boy bands now seem to love the K-Pop band BTS which I know you all have had to have at least heard of with the songs like "Dynamite" and "Butter". They are huge international stars. I am not really into them though.
Last edited by Cuckoo4Coco on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am curious now. When I was young, I got my music from friends, and the Music/Cd store. I would physically go to the store and browse through racks of albums. If you were lucky, the music store had a couple of people that could tell you what was new, what was interesting, what you could like. I was always very adverse to radio, as I really don't like commercials, so that was my route for new music. As JazzNu's series on R&B music has proven to me, I missed a lot of stuff.
How do young people today "find" their music? Obviously, one part is friends, but at the very least, there has to be ONE friend that is the one that finds an album/song/group that is enjoyable. How do you find your stuff?

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:41 am I am curious now. When I was young, I got my music from friends, and the Music/Cd store. I would physically go to the store and browse through racks of albums. If you were lucky, the music store had a couple of people that could tell you what was new, what was interesting, what you could like. I was always very adverse to radio, as I really don't like commercials, so that was my route for new music. As JazzNu's series on R&B music has proven to me, I missed a lot of stuff.
How do young people today "find" their music? Obviously, one part is friends, but at the very least, there has to be ONE friend that is the one that finds an album/song/group that is enjoyable. How do you find your stuff?
Influence by friends is still a part of it, but there really isn't much of going to the music/cd store although they still sell them or at least I think they do. I also think they sell vinyl albums like from the olden days which is a big collectors thing now. Most of the music today is listened to by Apps like Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music. I have the Spotify Music App and just about every musician uses this App to share their music. The way it works is when a musician releases or drops a new album or song it immediately goes onto these Apps and the people who like the music listen to it. The more listens a song gets the more popular a song becomes for that musician and then it goes on to be played on the radio a ton.

So they have each artist and band and a fan can make playlists of their favorite songs or just click on the music of a certain artist they like a lot. Also the more you select your favorite artists then the Spotify App will also then make a favorites playlist that they recommend for you. This gives the fan the opportunity to listen to other musicians and bands that they may not know that are similar to the ones they like. So you just pay for the service of the App and then you have unlimited music. My mom pays for the family plan so we all have Spotify (Mom, My two brothers & me) and we all listen to our different stuff.