NBA 2021-22 Season

And other things related to basketball
JazzNU United States of America

Re: NBA 2021-22 Season

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:35 pm
A belt with a big cowboy buckle?
And that is the problem with the loose definition of "mental health". I am sure Naomi was dealing with real issues. Simone Biles most likely. But now, every clown like Simmons is going to declare he is taking care of "mental health issues" when in reality he simply is feeling a little off that day. As these problems are of a much more complex diagnosis (this is not a visible ACL sprain, for example), now everybody can claim they suffer from some mental problem and abuse the term, making it harder for people with real issues to be taken seriously.
Your point is a good one, but "Most Likely?" Sounds like you need to read up a bit on Simone. Not most likely, more like absolutely was to a level no one should ever have to deal with.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Nope. I read a lot on the subject. I wrote about it.
My god, it's full of stars!

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:04 pm Nope. I read a lot on the subject. I wrote about it.
So you know about what happened to her and the others, know she's the one who was still competing and that's your take? I find that much more unsettling.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I only claimed that I read about it. And that I wrote about it. That was the extent of my statement.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I guess now I can say this. Ja Morant is the real deal. He is a throwback to the days when players went inside, took the hits and drew fouls not by flopping but because they got body slammed. He wants the ball when the game is on the line. If he's out the rest of the playoffs that's more than enough time for Memphis to try and build a team for him. He can't do it all on his own. If they don't do that he needs to get the he** out of Memphis.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Totally. There are two teams right now that are One-man-bands: Memphis and Dallas. Ja and Luka simply carry the teams completely (although I think Brooks and Bane are getting better really fast).
There are very few players in the incoming draft that will make a difference, so I think the only way is free-agency. I say Donovan Mitchel will be able to command top $$$.
But as you say, there is a GM in both cities with his butt on a Bunsen burner. They better get some real talent to go together with those two. Memphis without Ja is done in that series, Dallas may push it to 7, but no more.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Danny Green tore his ACL in Phily's last game. So not only he could help with the game, he is in real danger of missing the entire next season. Truly sad.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Explain this to me. On the last day of the regular season, the Bucks sat Giannis, being one game over Boston for the #2 seed and home court advantage over everybody except Miami. They lost, Boston won, they got the #2 seed, and now the Bucks have to go to Boston for a game 7, as opposed to playing it at home.
Why sit Giannis on that last game? I don't see them winning 3 out of 4 games at Boston. Just can't.

Post by JazzNU »

Everyone played to what they thought they needed to for an advantage in the postseason. The Bucks were trying to avoid playing the Nets and the Celtics were playing for #2 to avoid being #4 and having to face the Raptors. It is what it is. Bucks might regret that now, but probably not. Despite getting swept, there is no series in this playoffs more competitive than the Celtics vs. Nets. It's just people will focus on the sweep and ignore that fact and act like the Nets were an easy out. They were not. Bucks could easily already be sitting home if they had played the Nets, there is no guarantee at all, that they'd have gotten thru them.

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:08 pm Everyone played to what they thought they needed to for an advantage in the postseason. The Bucks were trying to avoid playing the Nets and the Celtics were playing for #2 to avoid being #4 and having to face the Raptors. It is what it is. Bucks might regret that now, but probably not. Despite getting swept, there is no series in this playoffs more competitive than the Celtics vs. Nets. It's just people will focus on the sweep and ignore that fact and act like the Nets were an easy out. They were not. Bucks could easily already be sitting home if they had played the Nets, there is no guarantee at all, that they'd have gotten thru them.
So as I'm reading this, I realize it might be confusing if you don't follow NBA news closely. The Celtics were avoiding the Raptors, but not the team per se, they were avoiding the travel to Canada. Everyone is pretty certain the team would've been down at least one key starter during the series for any games played in Toronto.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No, I got it right, you were clear. But I disagree with the approach by the Bucks. Home court advantage is real and huge in the NBA. No visiting team won a series in the first round. So far, only the Warriors have won theirs, being the lower seed.
I know the Nets were seen as perhaps the strongest #7 in ages, but they went down meekly. But now, as I said, the Bucks need to win for the third time in Boston, and I think that will be hard to do. Boston as damn good, and without Middleton, Milwaukee is missing too much. I think they could have taken the Nets, and now Boston if they had home court.
Of course, parallel universe scenario. We'll never know, or at least, I will never know.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:45 pm No, I got it right, you were clear. But I disagree with the approach by the Bucks. Home court advantage is real and huge in the NBA. No visiting team won a series in the first round. So far, only the Warriors have won theirs, being the lower seed.
I know the Nets were seen as perhaps the strongest #7 in ages, but they went down meekly. But now, as I said, the Bucks need to win for the third time in Boston, and I think that will be hard to do. Boston as damn good, and without Middleton, Milwaukee is missing too much. I think they could have taken the Nets, and now Boston if they had home court.
Of course, parallel universe scenario. We'll never know, or at least, I will never know.
You're being a prisoner of the moment a bit though. The Nets are a tough out, like I said. Clowning the Nets post-Celtics series loss aside, they aren't the joke they've been made out to be the last two weeks. The sweep aspect of the Nets vs. Celtics series needs to be ignored and the actual games need to be paramount. There is no team that can confidently say with any certainty, they would've beaten the Nets had they drawn them as an opponent. The Celtics only got by by the skin of their teeth but because it's a sweep, it appears easy. It was not. Again, easily the most competitive series in the entire playoffs and it was a historically competitive series The Bucks didn't know that they'd be without Khris Middleton. And the Bucks have a good defense, but not as good as the Celtics. If their not quite as good defense results in say sacrificing an average of 5-7 more points a game? And let's add in losing Khris during that series. The Bucks may very well already be out of the playoffs versus the Nets.

They played the hand they thought they could win at the time, just as the Celtics did. Should they have valued home games more? I'm sure many will think so. But the Bucks likely think, thank goodness we avoided the Nets and drew the undermanned Bulls especially after losing Khris and we're happy to be in the second round and their calculation to avoid the Nets was a good one and they'll deal with a Game 7 on the road. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, about their in-season matchups with the Nets in the last few months should've or would've given the Bucks confidence that the they'd come out the certain victor in a series against the Nets.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I guess we differ on the Nets. Sure, they have KD and Kyrie, but then I think they drop off terribly. And I really don't thing Nash deserved that coaching job. We also differ on the calculation of: home court = more important than 1st round opponent.
Agree, they could not envision being without Middleton. But right now, I say they got themselves in big trouble, not having closed that game on Thursday.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:44 pm I guess we differ on the Nets. Sure, they have KD and Kyrie, but then I think they drop off terribly. And I really don't thing Nash deserved that coaching job. We also differ on the calculation of: home court = more important than 1st round opponent.
Agree, they could not envision being without Middleton. But right now, I say they got themselves in big trouble, not having closed that game on Thursday.
But you're acting like the Bucks handled the Nets well during the season. That's where we differ I think. You're not impressed with the Nets as a whole, which is fine. But you can't act like the Bucks just had an easy time with the Nets in 2022 so no big deal if they draw them in Round 1, they'll safely get by them. Your breakdown of just KD and Kyrie doesn't change that it was just them in the other in-season matchups. And once, not even with KD, they didn't have an easy time and also lost to them.