The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Explaining how the new forum works
ashkor87 India

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by ashkor87 »

Thank you for checking..and rechecking..must be my Isp then...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:50 pm I checked on two laptops I have, and my phone. Sorry to say it seems like it is a problem on your side. Especially if you can access via mobile data.
Let me see if somebody has reported anything like than in phpBB.
Add blockers are sometimes tricky, but we don't have adds in our site, so there should be no issues there.
trying on the laptop.. it seems to be working now, didnt last week.. anyway, thank you all again
ashkor87 India

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works. DNS server update.

Post by ashkor87 »

got fixed, thanks.. something about adding an external DNS server had to be done..
thanks again for trying so many times!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, you are welcome Ashkor but.... I really did not do too much :)
Just in case it happens again. The addition of the external DNS server was done by your ISP, or did you do it yourself? If it was you, can you explain a bit so we can have it here in the technical topic for other people that may have the same problems?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works. DNS server update.

Post by ashkor87 »

The isp did it..have to add 88.88.88.88 in the DnS server address, that is all
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works (3.3.8 update and a bit more)

Post by ponchi101 »

Hello Gang.
I believe (you know, a big maybe) that the update to 3.3.8 was successful. The update was solely to correct some new features and a couple of bugs by the phpBB people, who had to correct some bugs from 3.3.7, which corrected bugs (major ones) from 3.3.6, which corrected bugs (minor) from 3.3.5, which... have you ever been around programmers? Yes, that's how they work.
Anyway, I would very much appreciate if you can inform me, VIA THIS TOPIC, if you see anything odd with the forum, regarding functionality or performance. That way I can look into it.

I took the opportunity to also install and enable a new extension that produces RANDOM images in our heading. You know that as much as I like phpBB, I find that it lacks a certain level of aesthetics and elegance. I mean, it is a website board, but at times it seems, visually, a bit cold and mundane to me.
I do not have the skills to change the entire structure to make it more artistic, but I do have 1,000's of photos from around the world, so I wanted to see if I can make the header more colorful. If there are some "shots" (I am only loading segments of my shots, or otherwise they would overtake the entire forum) that you dislike, let me know. More can be loaded.
Keep me posted,
P
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Great to see the new NASA pics in the rotation!
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Is there a way to disable the random images in the heading?
I looked through the User Control Panel, and did not find an option to turn it off.

I can no longer see most of the links under the heading (Quick Links, Board Index, Welcome Centre, etc.). And I use the 'Board Index' link often.
I can only begin to see those links if I reduce the size of the page to the point where I cannot read the writing anymore.
I am using the 'PS4' theme, and it's the rectangular PS4 logo that is blocking the links I mentioned. I never had this problem before - even when you change the heading for the Majors, everything was fine. Until now.

I don't want to change from the PS4 theme. I've tried all the available themes several times, and that is the only one that lays things out the way that I want, and where I can easily distinguish the separation of posts, etc.
I also have an extension whereby I change the colours of the entire forum - I change it to match the next Major tournament coming up (much like the options we used to have in TAT 1.0 where we had themes in the colours of the 4 Majors, but this time I do it myself with the extension. So there are several reasons I want to stay with the PS4 theme.

I'm using Vivaldi browser, as I have been from the start of TAT 2.0.

If you can make a way to render the random images in the header optional, I think that would work, as I've never had this problem before, as I said.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Here's a screenshot with the page size set to 98%, which is the size I've always had it without problem. (It's predominantly blue because the U.S. Open is the next Major)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The random_banner function is designed to be used with the default PRO SILVER theme, or any of its variations. If you use PS4, if will cause the problems you see because the banner will overlap areas of other themes.
And no, it is not customizable. It is a global setting.
I will wait for other people to comment on whether they like it or not, and then decide, based on their opinions, whether they like this new banner feature or want it gone.
The PS4 theme is a fine one, but most official features of phpBB run in pro-silver, so that one will not support them all. I felt it was an experiment in the beginning.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Anyone have suggestions on what I can check to get twitter links to display? For example, in the tiny thread, ti-amie posted a lot of twitter links. they don't display on the page. I have to click on each one manually which opens it on a new tab.

windows, firefox, disabled my pop-up blocker with no change.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Can you test on another browser? I also run W10/Firefox and I have no issues.
Looking into it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Try disabling tracking protection in FF:
Screenshot 2022-08-11 163827.jpg
Let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

to be honest, I'm surprised. I launched chrome and logged in and they also do not load there. just says loading tweet and nothing happens. since I don't use chrome except as a backup, I don't have any extensions on it. and my settings should be default in chrome.

yeah, tracking protection already turned off...has the slash through the symbol and when I click on it, it does say off.

I mentioned I turned off my ublock origin extension. After I did that I did delete cookies, etc. and re-login No change.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Since it is chrome and firefox, I disable (temporarily) my antivirus (eset nod32) but still have the same problem.