'22 RG Day 3 OoP & Discussion EDITED

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 RG Day 3 OoP & Discussion EDITED

Post by ponchi101 »

I like that shirt. Don't like the color, but the high neck is cool.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Sabalenka is doing her GS act again. Will she recover?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:14 pm I like that shirt. Don't like the color, but the high neck is cool.
Looks like he's moments away from taking confession.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sabalenka. Down one break in the second. That looks not too promising.
Musetti is another player that has joined the ranks of receiving serve from an extremely far position.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:08 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:21 pm Hurkacz appears to be playing tennis in a turtleneck

I have questions.

My first question would be to Yonex and it would be "Why?"
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Halep barely won the first set, went on walkabout during the second and ran away with the third.

Skrunk's facial expression went from "Simona who?" to "What am I doing here playing Simona Halep?"

Paquet took the first set from Sabalenka 6-2. Sabalenka is up 5-2 in the second.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:14 pm I like that shirt. Don't like the color, but the high neck is cool.
I wonder if the under layer is for compression or warmth.

Post by meganfernandez »

Qualifier Fernanda Contreras beat Udvardy in straights. It was a little shaky at the end - she needed 5 match points across 2 or 3 games. She led some fans in chanting "Mexico!" afterward. She grew up in Austin, Texas - her dad teaches tennis at a college-prep tennis academy there. She plays for Mexico. This is her first Grand Slam, and she has only played a couple tour events, Acapulco and Monterrey. She graduated from Vanderbilt. Has a one-handed backhand.

Great story, but I don't expect her to go very far, though. Kasatkina next.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue May 24, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It will be fitting that the winner of the mine field that is the top half, will have to play Lorenzo Musetti in the final.
He is believing he can win.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:50 pm
I wonder if the under layer is for compression or warmth.
Seen enough players wearing long sleeves, not to mention many in the crowd, to make me think it is not a warm day even if the temp isn't that low. I just wonder why Yonex would do this instead of a long sleeved shirt, a pullover, a quarter-zip pullover, or really almost anything else that fits more naturally with the rest of his kit.
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

Musetti is very impressive! I watched him play against Diego Schwartzmann at Barcelona, was impressed with him there. Was he expected to do this well against Tsitsipas?

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:18 pm Qualifier Fernanda Contreras beat Udvardy in straights. It was a little shaky at the end - she needed 5 match points across 2 or 3 games. She led some fans in chanting "Mexico!" afterward. She grew up in Austin, Texas - her dad teaches tennis at a college-prep tennis academy there. She plays for Mexico. This is her first Grand Slam, and she has only played a couple tour events, Acapulco and Monterrey. She graduated from Vanderbilt. Has a one-handed backhand.

That's great. And really doesn't matter if she won't go far, it's a big win for Mexican tennis even if this is it. They've had players with very nice looking games in those Mexico tournaments, but I think they lack funding since we see them so little elsewhere. I'd imagine 2nd round prize money could prove to e a game changer for her. Hopefully we'll keep hearing her name.

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:26 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:18 pm Qualifier Fernanda Contreras beat Udvardy in straights. It was a little shaky at the end - she needed 5 match points across 2 or 3 games. She led some fans in chanting "Mexico!" afterward. She grew up in Austin, Texas - her dad teaches tennis at a college-prep tennis academy there. She plays for Mexico. This is her first Grand Slam, and she has only played a couple tour events, Acapulco and Monterrey. She graduated from Vanderbilt. Has a one-handed backhand.

That's great. And really doesn't matter if she won't go far, it's a big win for Mexican tennis even if this is it. They've had players with very nice looking games in those Mexico tournaments, but I think they lack funding since we see them so little elsewhere. I'd imagine 2nd round prize money could prove to e a game changer for her. Hopefully we'll keep hearing her name.
Yeah, the prize money should help. Her coach is Christo van Rensberg. He's not courtside (just her sister and a friend or two, apparently), so I don't know if he is traveling with her or not. This might attract a sponsor, too. Yeah, she has already had a great result.

Edit: Maybe van Rensberg was there. She hugged an older man who could well have been van Rensberg, based on Google photos of him now. Oddly he never played the French Open in singles. He played it in doubles. Played all the other Slams, so he would have been ranked high enough.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed May 25, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

JazzNU wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:08 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:21 pm Hurkacz appears to be playing tennis in a turtleneck

I have questions.

It's giving me priest, but casual

Post by JazzNU »

Irena2 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:25 pm Musetti is very impressive! I watched him play against Diego Schwartzmann at Barcelona, was impressed with him there. Was he expected to do this well against Tsitsipas?
Yes and no. Musetti was a top prospect coming out of juniors. He made a splash in Rome 2020 and then backed it up pretty well in the beginning of 2021. But he had a very embarrassing loss to Djokovic at last year's RG after being up in the match, and almost went into hiding for a bit afterwards and he's rarely been the same player since then, losing inexplicably, just lacking all confidence on court. He's been showing signs lately of starting to get it back though. The thinking was that he would be a future top 10 player and potentially a GS champion. The Italians are very high on him. So, Tsitsipas was expected to win this match for sure, but given the talent Musetti possesses, it also wouldn't be a shocking upset. It's the night match for a reason, they expected it to be competitive and the potentially the biggest stumbling block for Tsitsipas reaching the Final.