'22 RG on TV - US Only

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

'22 RG on TV - US Only

Post by ti-amie »

Qualifying on TV - US only

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Re: '22 RG on TV - US Only

Post by ti-amie »

2022 Week 21-22
Under the lights in the City of Light

Welcome to the second major of the year! Roland Garros will kick off on its customary bright and early Sunday start. Main draw action will kick off 5am Sunday and continue throughout the fortnight. In addition, this will be the second year Roland Garros has a night match scheduled under the lights.

Coverage for Roland Garros has always been a bit more complicated than other majors which coverage jumping between Tennis Channel and NBC, sometimes mid match. This year will be no different as NBC, Tennis Channel, TC Plus, and Peacock will all air matches during the fortnight. In general, morning matches will start off on Tennis Channel with NBC/Peacock picking up coverage during select days and times. The finals will exclusively be on NBC/Peacock, though. Peacock does also require a subscription in order to watch matches which starts at $4.99 month. If you are a subscriber of xFinity, Cox, or Spectrum you could get Peacock Premium free for 30-90 days too.

TC Plus will also have coverage of Roland Garros with the following caveats:

5/22-5/27: First ball to last ball coverage on available courts

5/28: Will air all matches EXCEPT the night match Phillipe-Chatrier

5/29: Will air all matches EXCEPT the night match Phillipe-Chatrier

5/30: Will air all matches EXCEPT the night match Phillipe-Chatrier

5/31: First ball to last ball coverage on available courts

6//1: First ball to last ball coverage on available courts

6/2: Will air all matches EXCEPT the Mixed Doubles Final

6/3: Will air all matches EXCEPT the second Mens Semifinal and Wheelchair Final

6/4-6/5: Will not air any Finals Matches, but will show any non-final matches if any are scheduled

So, lots to take in, but it will be worth it as we watch all the action on the clay in Paris! Check out the full guide below and enjoy the tennis!

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The time of year my bootleg setup comes most in handy. I remain pissed at Tennis Channel for not offering TC Plus on a monthly plan like every other streaming service and just refuse to get it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

A reminder

ti-amie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:43 pm 2022 Week 21-22

Welcome to the second major of the year! Roland Garros will kick off on its customary bright and early Sunday start. Main draw action will kick off 5am Sunday and continue throughout the fortnight. In addition, this will be the second year Roland Garros has a night match scheduled under the lights.

Coverage for Roland Garros has always been a bit more complicated than other majors which coverage jumping between Tennis Channel and NBC, sometimes mid match. This year will be no different as NBC, Tennis Channel, TC Plus, and Peacock will all air matches during the fortnight. In general, morning matches will start off on Tennis Channel with NBC/Peacock picking up coverage during select days and times. The finals will exclusively be on NBC/Peacock, though. Peacock does also require a subscription in order to watch matches which starts at $4.99 month. If you are a subscriber of xFinity, Cox, or Spectrum you could get Peacock Premium free for 30-90 days too.

6/4-6/5: Will not air any Finals Matches, but will show any non-final matches if any are scheduled

So, lots to take in, but it will be worth it as we watch all the action on the clay in Paris! Check out the full guide below and enjoy the tennis!

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ti-amie wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 pm A reminder

ti-amie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:43 pm 2022 Week 21-22

Thanks for posting and reposting this. :) I have 2 questions. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the info correctly. For this long weekend TC will have coverage starting 5 AM EST and then NBC / Peacock will show the night match. Is that right?

And will the women's and men's finals be on NBC or Peacock or both? I have xfinity so I need to figure out if I have Peacock.

Sorry if these are lame questions.

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:20 pm
Thanks for posting and reposting this. :) I have 2 questions. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the info correctly. For this long weekend TC will have coverage starting 5 AM EST and then NBC / Peacock will show the night match. Is that right?

And will the women's and men's finals be on NBC or Peacock or both? I have xfinity so I need to figure out if I have Peacock.

Kevin

All of these are good questions, not at all lame.

Men's and Women's Finals will be on both NBC and Peacock.

The Memorial Day Weekend coverage is much more complicated. First, holiday weekend means Monday is included in this. Tennis Channel will start coverage, and then NBC/Peacock (both again) will begin their coverage window at 11 AM ET (Kevin, I'm assuming you'll get it 8 AM, but would double check on that for Monday in particular because that time period means interrupting Today Show's window).

Now, the coverage window on NBC/Peacock DOES NOT mean that the Tennis Channel coverage window ends. Many times, it can run for several additional hours, so keep that in mind.

Also, and this is for everyone since since I'm guessing it will be a bit of a surprise- keep in mind that tennis is the odd man out on Sunday and there will be zero NBC coverage that day because of the Indy 500. Everything that day will be Tennis Channel and Peacock. So no NBC/Peacock for that 11AM start time, it's Peacock Only. And even more annoying, that is going to be the day Tennis Channel ends it's coverage window earlier than usual, so either Peacock or another way to stream will be necessary to watch the later matches on Sunday.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:16 am
dmforever wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:20 pm

Kevin

All of these are good questions, not at all lame.

Men's and Women's Finals will be on both NBC and Peacock.

The Memorial Day Weekend coverage is much more complicated. First, holiday weekend means Monday is included in this. Tennis Channel will start coverage, and then NBC/Peacock (both again) will begin their coverage window at 11 AM ET (Kevin, I'm assuming you'll get it 8 AM, but would double check on that for Monday in particular because that time period means interrupting Today Show's window).

Now, the coverage window on NBC/Peacock DOES NOT mean that the Tennis Channel coverage window ends. Many times, it can run for several additional hours, so keep that in mind.

Also, and this is for everyone since since I'm guessing it will be a bit of a surprise- keep in mind that tennis is the odd man out on Sunday and there will be zero NBC coverage that day because of the Indy 500. Everything that day will be Tennis Channel and Peacock. So no NBC/Peacock for that 11AM start time, it's Peacock Only. And even more annoying, that is going to be the day Tennis Channel ends it's coverage window earlier than usual, so either Peacock or another way to stream will be necessary to watch the later matches on Sunday.
Thanks so much!!

Also, I know a lot of you here are a lot younger than I am. I remember having to watch the 1984 French Open women's final tape delay, and cut. Martina had beaten Chris something like 17 times in a row over 3 years. Chris had finally beaten Martina again in the spring, at a US clay court tournament (Hilton Head?), so there was a lot of buzz about that match. And it came on at like 11 AM PST, well after it had finished and they cut out the first set that Marina had won. Seriously.

And the next summer I was living in Italy and in my dorm there was an old black and white TV and one of the state-owned RAI stations was actually showing the match. I watched it and was stunned when I realized that THEY DIDN'T CUT AWAY FOR COMMERCIALS. You could actually see what the players did on the changeovers.

It kind of feels like tennis coverage here is going backwards, though I think the internet has made tape delay a permanent anachronism.
Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

NBC Sports app has the coverage as well! Yay! Now, who knows it that means everything that Peacock would have, only time will tell. But make sure you keep this in mind before you spend on Peacock unnecessarily. What's airing on the app is exactly what it airing on NBC, so not a "lesser" product with an international broadcast team, I just heard Mary's voice when I opened it.
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

Where can we see Keys v.Rybakina in the US?
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

JazzNU wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:07 pm NBC Sports app has the coverage as well! Yay! Now, who knows it that means everything that Peacock would have, only time will tell. But make sure you keep this in mind before you spend on Peacock unnecessarily. What's airing on the app is exactly what it airing on NBC, so not a "lesser" product with an international broadcast team, I just heard Mary's voice when I opened it.
Because we don't have cable TV, we can't use the NBC sports app. Hoping Peacock is streaming-only with our internet provider, that is the only way, I guess!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

An Otherwise Blameless Life 🇺🇸 🇺🇦🌻
@KevinLNyc

I used to wake up in the middle of the night so I could watch an illegal stream of matches from Tanzania. Right now I haven't even bother to try to find the Medvedev-Cilic match. I watch less than half the tennis I did before Sinclair ruined tennis in the US when they bought TC.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think the WTA attempt to have its own streaming service like the ATP and TennisTV was an unmitigated disaster that resulted in Sinclair getting the WTA rights in the US while other countries do have WTA TV.

Last week Tennis Channel was down for large parts of the day and there was never an explanation or excuse given.

Post by JazzNU »

Honestly, tennis on TV has not gotten a lot worse, I think people just have short memories. And for real, do you remember how loudly people were complaining about the ESPN coverage just a few months ago during the Australian Open? And now people love it? Don't get me wrong, I like using ESPN+ to watch the grand slams even though I prefer TC commentators greatly, but I rarely complain about the service because it is convenient. But seriously, Tennis Twitter was torching ESPN's coverage, it wasn't just the minions, Ben wrote several posts criticizing the coverage that got a lot of engagement.

And I'm not saying things are perfect, I've complained plenty and will continue to do so, but sometimes the language used to describe these things need to be dialed back a bit to me. The main thing that tennis is on TV today, is harder to watch than most other major sports and so it is a glaring difference that rears it's ugly head during the majors.

Having said all that, let's not forget the WTA stint with BeIn. That was an epic mess. When it was finally over and done with, Ted Robinson was fond of saying the WTA was in the witness protection program during that time.

Also, it must be said that TennisTV is overpriced similar to TC Plus, even if it's a service that is well liked, it is considerably more expensive than a multi-sport ESPN+ subscription. The one thing TennisTV has going for it over TC Plus is that it has the monthly subscription, even though it costs more than the annual per month.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

TennisTV has always been expensive. I think what's happening is that for the money you don't have a situation like last week when for still unknown reasons Tennis Channel was down across the US. It's glitchy, it freezes before, during and after matches and is always behind. ESPN has a delay too though.

For the money I think TennisTV is the better platform. It just doesn't carry the Slams