Ruud
6%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 17

jazzyg United States of America

Re: '22 RG ATP Singles Draw & Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

For years and years, the ATP did exactly what Brad Gilbert suggested, with the No. 1 and 2 seeds drawn to play either 15 or 16 in the fourth round and the 7 or 8 in the quarterfinals, and the 3 and 4 seeds drawn to play the 13 or 14 in the fourth round and the 5 or 6 seeds in the quarters. Somewhere along the way, they went to the WTA format of the 1 being able to play anyone from 9 to 16 in the fourth round and and anyone from 5 to 8 in the quarters.

I liked the old ATP system better.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:20 am
dmforever wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:21 am Even with this draw Tsitsipas has to prove that he can think his way through (maybe) seven five set matches without Papa holding his hand along the way.
Has Apostolos been banned from RG???

Kevin
I phrased it badly. Apostolos will be there and he will be holding his sons hand as much as he will is allowed. Stef can't think his way through a five set match let alone potentially 7 of them on his own. If he and his father are allowed to do their thing I think it will take away from any achievement he will make.
Didn't think you phrased it poorly. Stefanos is unlikely to be able to repeat any part of his bathroom/bag/text situation that he had going on for a portion of last season and definitely employed at RG. So, yeah, he'll be on his own.

As for taking away from his achievement - I do not and have no plans to recognize Kenin's run to the RG Finals in 2020. That ish was off the walls.

Post by jazzyg »

If Nadal magically can stay healthy, he will win. He only lost to Djokovic last year because he was not healthy.

If Nadal's foot continues to give him problems, I'd say it's almost 50-50 between Djokovic and Alcaraz, with the slight edge to Djokovic because he will not lose to anyone in the draw not named Nadal or Alcaraz. We don't know how Alcaraz will handle the pressure of being a favorite at a slam for the first time.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So. As we wait for RG to really start:
Who has been the player that has been the most coached player in the history of the sport? Coached from the stands, I mean.
Kenin, Henin, Tsitsipas, Sharapova (early career). Who else comes to mind?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:54 pm If Nadal magically can stay healthy, he will win. He only lost to Djokovic last year because he was not healthy.

If Nadal's foot continues to give him problems, I'd say it's almost 50-50 between Djokovic and Alcaraz, with the slight edge to Djokovic because he will not lose to anyone in the draw not named Nadal or Alcaraz. We don't know how Alcaraz will handle the pressure of being a favorite at a slam for the first time.
I like the "magically" qualifier. He himself has said it: it is not an injury that is healing, it is something he lives with.
Agree that it cost him last year's title.
On the other hand: how was he able to go through the Aussie and win, when those courts are so much tougher on the body? I suppose that for RG, the routine will be: play match, press conference, cool down, MRI, hotel, wait for MRI results and analysis by his doctor.

Post by jazzyg »

That was an incredible performance by Nadal at the Aussie.

But Medvedev should have beaten him in straights. i recently rewatched the third set starting with the game where Nadal was down 0-40 after Medvedev lobbed over his head and he ran back to try to retrieve it, hobbling all the way. He was ready to lose. Medvedev choked and then let the crowd get to him. Given a reprieve, Nadal exhibited an almost otherworldly effort level (even for him) to get across the finish line.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:23 pm
Facing Alcaraz in the 1st round, I'd classify Londero much more as an UL than a LL. :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:
ti-amie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:23 pm
Facing Alcaraz in the 1st round, I'd classify Londero much more as an UL than a LL. :)
Still got the 77,000 euro paycheck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Can I just say that knowing there will be tennis even if it rains, and not having to stop matches mid match because of darkness is a HUGE improvement. ;)

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

To keep complaining about the seeds at this stage is silly. Look at the women's side. A totally different picture, same seeding rules.
Sometimes some tournaments will work this way. The USO tried to change that in 1986, seeding Agassi well above his ranking (to avoid him playing Sampras in the QF's, a round NOT shown by CBS) and all hell broke loose.
So, this time the seedings seem unfair. You don't change an entire system just because one time it did not produce the desired result.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

It's also strange that they aren't a little bit thrilled that there's marquee matchups on the horizon for both the QFs and the SFs and not just have the Finals to promote. Yes, it's a positive way to spin this, but there have been years where those matches were routine duds, and it's unlikely that will be the case this year and even if they are, there's anticipation for each round of matchups and uncertainty with the results, but with the guarantee of a big name coming out of it. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I wish they'd alternate the night match between the men and the women, rather than have it always be the men.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:32 am I wish they'd alternate the night match between the men and the women, rather than have it always be the men.
The one night match that wasn't an ATP event featured Alize Cornet.

That said Ruud vs Rune should be a day match in my opinion.

With no Stefanos the bottom part of the draw is not that interesting at all.