'22 RG Dbles & Jnrs Draws and Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '22 RG Dbles & Jnrs Draws and Discussion

Post by Suliso »

In the girls' singles 3 out of 4 semi finalists are from Czech Republic. The best know is probably 16 year old Sara Bejlek (WTA 270). She's in doubles SF's as well.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Anyone know why Gauff and McNally are not partnering?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:43 am Anyone know why Gauff and McNally are not partnering?
I haven't heard. Goes back a few months. Other teams reshuffled, too. Stosur and Zhang aren't together anymore, and Zhang is with McNally. Stosur and Zhang are (were?) great friends and did so well together. I'd like to know why they split. Maybe it's just scheduling.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:41 am In the girls' singles 3 out of 4 semi finalists are from Czech Republic. The best know is probably 16 year old Sara Bejlek (WTA 270). She's in doubles SF's as well.
And none of them are Brenda Fruhvirtova, either, the one I expected to make a deep run. With those sisters and Nodskov, there's a ton of Czech talent coming up.

I get a kick out of looking at the junior rankings from recent years. Lots of familiar women, who have done well on the WTA Tour. Not nearly as many men. I wonder if more guys choose to play in college for some reason. Maybe they need more time to mature or don't see an opportunity to succeed right away, so they might as well go play college.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:56 am
Suliso wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:41 am In the girls' singles 3 out of 4 semi finalists are from Czech Republic. The best know is probably 16 year old Sara Bejlek (WTA 270). She's in doubles SF's as well.
And none of them are Brenda Fruhvirtova, either, the one I expected to make a deep run. With those sisters and Nodskov, there's a ton of Czech talent coming up.
Brenda is only 15 and for the moment is better known as a sister of Linda.
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:56 amI get a kick out of looking at the junior rankings from recent years. Lots of familiar women, who have done well on the WTA Tour. Not nearly as many men. I wonder if more guys choose to play in college for some reason. Maybe they need more time to mature or don't see an opportunity to succeed right away, so they might as well go play college.
I doubt it US college looks attractive to many with serious pro aspirations. It's likely that at the junior age it's still very difficult to distinguish who will have the required power and speed needed to succeed on ATP tour. Also many young players prefer to start grinding it out on the futures and challengers tour as soon as possible instead of concentrating on junior tour. Of course some junior starts do succeed. Roger was Wimbledon junior champion.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:23 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:56 am
Brenda is only 15 and for the moment is better known as a sister of Linda.
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:56 amI get a kick out of looking at the junior rankings from recent years. Lots of familiar women, who have done well on the WTA Tour. Not nearly as many men. I wonder if more guys choose to play in college for some reason. Maybe they need more time to mature or don't see an opportunity to succeed right away, so they might as well go play college.
I doubt it US college looks attractive to many with serious pro aspirations. It's likely that at the junior age it's still very difficult to distinguish who will have the required power and speed needed to succeed on ATP tour. Also many young players prefer to start grinding it out on the futures and challengers tour as soon as possible instead of concentrating on junior tour. Of course some junior starts do succeed. Roger was Wimbledon junior champion.
Good points. Yeah, I know Brenda is younger but she did really well in ITF at the end of last year (3 straight finals, all vs her sister), so I thought she might be ready for something big. No rush. She's #4, Linda is #3.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:43 am Anyone know why Gauff and McNally are not partnering?
Somewhere in the RG topics somebody said that because they had different schedules, they were unable to practice together before the tournament. They plan to play together again.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem