'22 RG Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
patrick United States of America

Re: '22 RG Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Post by patrick »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:13 pm
patrick wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:55 pm
Why not? Trevisan's opponents should have brought this up in prior rounds.
Because it's unfair to set a new standard in the semifinals of a tournament. Again, please show me the time they did this to Sharapova or Azarenka in one of their GS semifinal matches.
Guess we agree to disagree as my position remains steadfast. Nadal only gets time violation warning when serving at crucial times instead of the beginning of the match.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:38 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:00 pm I don't know. Comparing Iga to Roger is a bit extreme. She is clearly dominant now, but I don't think her style is truly that innovative, as she is a classic baseliner.
It is just that she is the best RIGHT NOW. I would put her far behind the Graf's, Seles' or Serena's of the history of the sport.
Wa aren't saying Alcaraz is the great right now, and his style isn't innovative. And he has accomplished less than she has. But we are assuming he'll keep it up and win 10 Slams. Why don't we give the same benefit of the doubt to Iga?

Don't take this personally, but to me it's another subtle example of how we assume greatness from men and deny it to women until they prove it about 3x over. It's the default setting.
I see your point, but I don't even think Swiatek would have been the best player this year if Barty had kept playing. The best player on clay, yes. But Swiatek's game on faster courts, even with all of the tournaments she won in a row, is not as good as Barty's was at the Aussie Open this year or Wimbledon last year. If she also wins Wimbledon (unlikely in my opinion) or the U.S. Open (much more likely), then we're talking.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso said it best. Who knows what very good rivalry we were robbed of with Barty's retirement.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:38 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:00 pm I don't know. Comparing Iga to Roger is a bit extreme. She is clearly dominant now, but I don't think her style is truly that innovative, as she is a classic baseliner.
It is just that she is the best RIGHT NOW. I would put her far behind the Graf's, Seles' or Serena's of the history of the sport.
Wa aren't saying Alcaraz is the great right now, and his style isn't innovative. And he has accomplished less than she has. But we are assuming he'll keep it up and win 10 Slams. Why don't we give the same benefit of the doubt to Iga?

Don't take this personally, but to me it's another subtle example of how we assume greatness from men and deny it to women until they prove it about 3x over. It's the default setting.
I see your point, but I don't even think Swiatek would have been the best player this year if Barty had kept playing. The best player on clay, yes. But Swiatek's game on faster courts, even with all of the tournaments she won in a row, is not as good as Barty's was at the Aussie Open this year or Wimbledon last year. If she also wins Wimbledon (unlikely in my opinion) or the U.S. Open (much more likely), then we're talking.
We’ll never know. She didn’t get a chance to prove it. She won the Sunshine Double so I give her the benefit of the doubt and say she would have been competitive at least, and for all we know, won. We can’t judge players against who they didn’t get to play. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Suliso said it best. Who knows what very good rivalry we were robbed of with Barty's retirement.
I’m still mad at Barty. I was soooo looking forward to seeing them play on clay. Was thinking about it the week Barty retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:47 pm Larcher de Brito was a truck full of hogs being taken to the slaughterhouse. Her shrieks were insane.
The problem, the way I saw it, was that after every match the opponents would be asked if they were distracted or affected by the screams (Sharapova and Azarenka) and they would say "No, I was focused on my game", so the circuit really could not come to the guilty parts and say "you have to cut it out, it is bothering your opponents". They had claimed that it had not.
I went by Roddick's observation. If he could serve 140 MPH serves in perfect silence, grunting after every point was not needed.
Rather than ask the opponents, they should ask the fans if the screaming bothers them. They're the ones who pay to attend the matches, and so should be able to have a say in the matter.
Even ask the fans that are watching on TV, as they are paying (through cable, streaming bills, etc.) to watch. Pressing the 'mute' button is not an option, because I want to hear the balls hitting the strings - and I even want to hear the commentators - when they say something insightful or interesting.

Grunting on a shot where you're running or stretching is fine... but yelling or screaming on every bloody routine shot is absolutely ridiculous. There is no valid reason for it at all.

Robin Haase lost a point for grunting loudly because his opponent was grunting in an exaggerated manner on every shot. Haase decided, suddenly in the middle of a point, to start doing the same thing. He got just one loud grunt out before the umpire called him for 'hindrance'! :o :x
I would have called the supervisor, as there should not be a double standard - if my opponent can do it on every bloody shot, then I can do it whenever I want, as well.

Here's the brief story, with video...
Haase Loses Point For Sarcastic Grunting...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I agree with this. The screaming/grunting/whatever you want to call it drives me nuts, and in my case, forces me to hit the mute button even though I like listening to the announcers. I heard very little of what was said in Trevisan's fourth round and quarterfinal matches because I could not take her noise.

I've always felt like the tours ignored fans on this topic, but I've come to accept it because I'm positive nothing will ever change. If they've kept their heads in the sand this long, they won't change now.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I watch entire matches with the MUTE on, but that is because of Clerc's commentating :)
But I watched Azarenka/Sharapova (Aussie final, long tome ago) with the mute on because of the screaming. Azarenka's was equally annoying, compared to Sharapova.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem