Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Uhm, not so fast about the USA. Nissan, Kia and Hyundai are offering some reasonably priced vehicles that offer good quality. The Nissan Leaf is a nifty little thing that offer good value IF you are a city dweller, and can compete with the Model 3. Of course, this are Japanese and Koreans. You are right that Toyota, Honda and the other small Japanese companies (Mazda has made it clear they have no intentions of joining the EV market) seem not to be pushing full EVs but rather hybrids. Madness, if you ask me.
From the Americans, Ford seems to be ahead of the other traditional manufacturers (but yes, nowhere near Tesla for electrics). They offer the Mustang E, which suffers only from long charging time, but they just stopped taking orders for their F150 Lightning (pick up truck) because they simply can't make enough. Chevy is resurrecting the Volt (which is a good car) and are planning on EV trucks. Chrysler/Fiat is seriously behind.
Lucid is making a complete competitor for the Series S: the Lucid Air. For my money, a much better car, but of course, it is around the $145K range, so that is not going to be in any sort mass produced.
Polestar (Volvo/Geely) is offering the 1 and the 2. The 1 is aimed at the Model S, the 2 at the Model 3. I will take the Polestar 2 over the Model 3, simply because of looks.
VW, as you say, is doing good things and is spinning them out to Porsche/Audi. MB has the EQS and BMW has stalled with the i3, but has now come up with several electric X models.
I wonder how much of a fad it will be, or if it will be permanent. Supply and demand will come into effect. If all America would switch to EV's, the demand for electricity would surge accordingly, with prices going up. So charging your EV might end up being more expensive than the equivalent ICE car. This is far from being settled.
(Says the old guy that still drives a stick shift because he does not like Automatic gearboxes).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Of course there are competitors in principle in US, but when you look at actual number of cars sold last year they're tiny compared to Tesla. VW sells a lot of electric cars in Europe.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It was a silly idea that grew into a monster. Just a simple place for people to share simple thoughts became the premier platform to spew anything.
It is not TW. It is the users. And since you cannot get rid of the people, you have to get rid of TW.
I really believe it causes more harm than good.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It's actually gotten better since TFG and his crew have been banned or left to join Truth Social or whatever that data mining grift is called. There is more real world information given and few if any trolls/bots/lunatics respond and if they do it's easier to spot them and block them.

I think what Jack is saying is that "we" can't regulate ourselves, that rules need to be established so that when something is said or encouraged that can cause harm to people the company itself is not liable. It sounds to me as if he's asking for a Communications Act/Telecom Act update to include social media, to provide guidelines these companies must follow. It's the same with FB. I wonder why he took so long to put this out there, and why he voted to take the money and run.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:24 pm ... It sounds to me as if he's asking for a Communications Act/Telecom Act update to include social media, to provide guidelines these companies must follow. It's the same with FB. I wonder why he took so long to put this out there, and why he voted to take the money and run.
Which is long overdue, but with your split congress/senate, fat chance.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

When I first heard about twitter and 'tweets', I thought it was a joke. I honestly believed it must be a joke, because I didn't think that the populace would buy into this trivial nonsense - especially because it was so restrictive and limiting... there's nowhere near enough space to express anything remotely resembling profound or complex thought.

But, of course, people have absolutely no desire to express - or to read - profound or complex thought - they simply want the superficiality of skimming along the surface of things and of being judged and judging everyone else on just the surface - then complaining about being 'judged', of course.
And so, twitter is very popular.

In addition to surely contributing to the DIScouragement of true communication, twitter is also surely a significant factor in the ever decreasing attention span that people have, and in the fact that it seems no-one today is capable of reading more than 4 paragraphs of any writing without completely losing focus.
The internet as a whole is re-wiring people's brains to not only expect, but to DEMAND instant results for everything.
And that, of course, is the antithesis of thought.

As for Tesla being 'sustainable'... I will call them sustainable only when all of the materials they make their cars from are either entirely and easily recyclable, or are biodegradable within less than one year once the car is no longer able to be used as a vehicle.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Didn't know this. Today, June 30th, is World Asteroid Day, which I find an odd way to name a day for things that are literally OUT of this world.
Here is a fun site:
https://asteroidday.org/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There is Elon Musk the crazy guy messing around with Twitter and then there is Elon Musk engineer. Here is a series of interviews (some highly technical) about his rocket engines and Starship. Maybe some of you will appreciate. The rocket should be ready for the inaugural launch within a month or two.

The first two videos about are about the Starbase in Boca Chica, TX. The third is about the Merlin engine used in the current generation Falcon 9 rocket and the fourth is about the Raptor engine to be used in the Starship.

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok, it will take some time to go through them. Thanks :thumbsup:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A little bit of (perhaps) good news.
MIT scientists think they’ve discovered how to fully reverse climate change

Basically, putting a shield at the Lagrangian Point 1, and bring down a bit of the solar input.
(I said this, about four years ago, in TAT1.0. But I am an unknown buffoon in an obscure forum).