'22 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Collins has been taken to a 3rd set by Bouzkova.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Carreño Busta out after splitting the first two sets. Another injury?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:35 pm Garcia was two points away from losing to her unknown opponent (to me) five times but never faced a match point before winning the third-set breaker easily.
She's a Japanese-born British player, got a wild card into Wimbledon. She played the warm up tournaments and she wasn't a pushover in her matches against more known players. I think the comparative amount of time these British players are able to practice and play on grass makes a world of difference in their performance and allows someone who might barely make a dent at another time of year, be very competitive during this short season.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Wow, Danielle Collins goes out on the 1st day in 3 sets.

I was really close to picking her in the suicide game. Glad I didn't.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I did not consider her, but I would have saved her. I thought she was solid for a 3R or something like that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

Didn't think Bencic would be struggling in this match, but here she is down a set and a break.

Marie Bouzkova played a great match against Danielle Collins and deserved that win. Very hard to know how that one would go, but she played very smart in the second half of that third set to get the break and serve it out.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Belinda is likely another one not fully over her injury. Sad...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm Didn't think Bencic would be struggling in this match, but here she is down a set and a break.

Marie Bouzkova played a great match against Danielle Collins and deserved that win. Very hard to know how that one would go, but she played very smart in the second half of that third set to get the break and serve it out.
I thought Q. Wang would have given Bencic a tough go at it, but she is blowing her off the court.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:33 pm Belinda is likely another one not fully over her injury. Sad...
She's got a lot of kinesio tape on today, on her knee and down almost the entire length of the back of her leg.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I am in a contest where one of the things you have to do is pick the highest top 16 seed to go out first, and I had Collins.

It's not like I knew she would lose--Bouzkova made zero unforced errors in the second set and nine for the match and no one could have foreseen that--but Collins had played only one tournament since the Aussie Open in which she had won more than one match, has little history of success on grass and did not play a lead-up tournament on grass.
Last edited by jazzyg on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:57 pm I am in a contest where one of the things you have to do is pick the highest top 16 team to go out first, and I had Collins.

It's not like I knew she would lose--Bouzkova made zero unforced errors in the second set and nine for the match and no one could have foreseen that--but Collins had played only one tournament since the Aussie Open in which she had won more than one match, has little history of success on grass and did not play a lead-up tournament on grass.
Bouzkova's low amount of unforced errors was unreal.

Bencic seems to want to make a match out of this one as she is now 1 game away from taking the 2nd set.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Best friend for Q. Wang is the darkness. From what we saw, Wang was not the same after taking a fall. She managed to hold serve after the fall- out-of-nowhere serving 2 aces and a service winner. But, she was never quite the same. Bencic, who had been pretty much satisfyingly terrible down a set and 5-1, really didn't have to do much of anything, as Wang completely fell apart.

If this had gone to a third now, Bencic would have won. Now, at least Wang can get some treatment if something physical happened, rest, coaching, etc. (I mean, Bencic will win, anyway, mind you.)
Last edited by nelslus on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Only two matches remain for day 1. Murray on Centre Court and Heather Watson on Court 1. The rest are either finals or suspended because of being too dark.

Murray won the final men's game on court tonight in 4 sets. Heather Watson survived the 2nd set pushing her match with Korpatsch til tomorrow because they have some sort of rule where they can't play after 11 p.m..

A total of 6 matches will carry over from today til tomorrow(3 men's/3 women's).

The first day in my opinion was awesome.

Coco Gauff plays on day 2 so I am really excited for that.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

the first couple days are always tough, the ball bounces very oddly because the grass is fresh and thick.. anyone who relies on their timing to hit through the ball is going to be vulnerable in the first round - the bounce gets a bit more relaible by the third or fourth day, so easier to hit through... at least, that is what I have seen over the past 45 years of watching Wimbledon but who knows...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm Suliso, old and wise in the ways of the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

:P
I said in another thread (Ladies draw?) that she was in tough vs. Juvan, who has been playing well...

I also called the Bouzkova over Collins result...

But I also thought Raducanu would likely lose her first round match (she won, but it was a good battle).

The Alcaraz - Struff match was very high quality throughout, and highly entertaining.

The Hurkacz loss was only a mild surprise - and only because Hurkacz has been playing well lately. Davidovich Fokina is a top end player who's capable of beating just about anyone on a given day.

Canadian Rebecca Marino lost a match she should have won. She was up in the 3rd set, and got broken in her last 2 service games to lose it 5-7 to a Polish woman who was playing in only her second Major main draw match.
Marino herself was playing the Wimbledon main draw for the first time in about 10 years (she was away from tennis for about 6 of those years).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower