C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by JazzNU »

Feel awful for Matteo. To look so good so soon coming back from an injury that took you out for months only to have this happen, really sucks. He was my pick to win it. A tough break for sure, maybe next year his luck will turn around.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Silently, he has been having some bad luck. Several injuries, now this. Broke up with Ajla. It has been a bit topsy turvy, for sure.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok, this is getting serious:
Tennis: "There was a Covid epidemic at Roland-Garros and no one talked about it", says Alizé Cornet

The original news is from L'equipe, which is very respected. That link is in French.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Believable. If there was a lot of money on the line most of us would probably not test either.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sure. I would test myself privately but, if showing no symptoms, I would most likely keep it quiet.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:47 pm Sure. I would test myself privately but, if showing no symptoms, I would most likely keep it quiet.
Even if the test came out positive?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How I wish I could say I am a man of integrity and impeccable morals.
But I have never seen 70,000 Euros just to play one match (RG 1r losers' prize), nor I have never dedicated my life to such an endeavor in which playing such a match could be a dream opportunity.
I really would not know what to do if the test came positive AND I were not showing symptoms.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:57 pm How I wish I could say I am a man of integrity and impeccable morals.
But I have never seen 70,000 Euros just to play one match (RG 1r losers' prize), nor I have never dedicated my life to such an endeavor in which playing such a match could be a dream opportunity.
I really would not know what to do if the test came positive AND I were not showing symptoms.
I do understand that. It is a ton of money for sure. I just don't know how I would deal with myself if others started getting sick. Really tough.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

To not get into such moral issues the solution is to not test unless there are some serious symptoms (more than coughing or a congested nose).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:05 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:57 pm How I wish I could say I am a man of integrity and impeccable morals.
I do understand that. It is a ton of money for sure. I just don't know how I would deal with myself if others started getting sick. Really tough.
And don't get me wrong. The clear path would be to take yourself out. But, if asymptomatic, the little bug in your ear telling you "you are surrounded by a lot of very low risk people" would not be completely silent.
It would be a terrible position. But, as Suliso says, the pragmatic solution would be not to test yourself, and only do so if symptoms would develop.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:23 pm
And don't get me wrong. The clear path would be to take yourself out. But, if asymptomatic, the little bug in your ear telling you "you are surrounded by a lot of very low risk people" would not be completely silent.
It would be a terrible position. But, as Suliso says, the pragmatic solution would be not to test yourself, and only do so if symptoms would develop.
Yeah, just not to know would be the best way to keep it unless you were having symptoms of course.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:23 pm
Yeah... and these 'low risk people' who contract it from you then go on to spread it to their grandmother who's visiting to watch them play, etc. :roll:

The ONLY thing to do if one tests positive is to be honest and upfront about it and pull out and isolate.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Quentin Moynet
@QuentinMoynet
"À Roland, il y a eu une épidémie de Covid, personne n'en a parlé. Dans les vestiaires, tout le monde l'a eu et on n'a rien dit (...) Je pense que c'est un accord tacite entre nous. On ne va pas s'autotester pour se mettre dans la merde !"

Translated from French by Google

"At Roland there was a Covid epidemic, nobody talked about it. In the locker room everyone had it and we didn't say anything (...) I think it's a tacit agreement between us. We're not going to test ourselves to get ourselves into trouble!"

The above is from Alizé Cornet
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The link to the Cornet article a few posts above (post #843) is difficult to read, as it seems to be a (rather poor) translation.
I found this link to an article about the issue written in proper English...

What she reveals reeks of utter selfishness from the players.

Cornet Reveals "Everyone Had COVID-19" at Roland Garros...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:20 am The link to the Cornet article a few posts above (post #843) is difficult to read, as it seems to be a (rather poor) translation.
I found this link to an article about the issue written in proper English...

What she reveals reeks of utter selfishness from the players.

Cornet Reveals "Everyone Had COVID-19" at Roland Garros...

whatever one may feel about this, it certainly highlights the hypocrisy around banning Djokovic..!