'22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Deuce Canada

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:26 am Very impressed with Halep and Swiatek today ..both played like champions...Gauff not so much..her forehand was repeatedly exposed yet again ..
I didn't see any of the Halep match - but I was surprised by the rather one-sided score vs. Muchova.

I didn't see any of the Gauff match, either, but I'm not surprised that Ruse gave her significant trouble.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:58 am
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 pm At least we're spared the garbage about Serena being a possible contender. Throwing in 80 mph first serves, missing shots by yards and moving sluggishly, all of which is totally expected for any 40-something player who has not competed for 12 months regardless of their history.

Tan fed her a steady diet of junk and it paid off because of the poor footwork and massive rust.

Gauff and Serena played horribly today, but since Gauff is 18 and coming off a slam final, she found a way to win. I don't like her chances here with those extreme grips, but I don't want to underestimate her incredible will and movement.
^ Yes... I saw the 1st set and the beginning of the 3rd set of Serena - Tan, and Serena was as you describe above.
Wozniacki (and her annoying voice) was one of the commentators for that match, and she said that Serena's movement was "really good" - thus providing a strong argument against having people commentate on the matches of their personal friends - because, from what I saw, Serena's movement was terrible. And Tan was taking advantage with the drop shots that Serena wasn't getting anywhere near.

Along with the poor movement, Serena missed all kinds of shots. But every once in a while, she'd hit a great shot. She looked exactly like a 40 year old player who is coming back from a 2 year retirement, and who used to be really good, but who has not competed in a long time.
I'm surprised it went 3 sets. I guess Serena must have done something right in the middle set (which I didn't watch, as I was focused on Felix - Cressy).
On that break point when Serena served for the match, she played that point too loosely which gave Tan the easiest passing shot in tennis. Also, she was undecided at times on what shot to hit and almost whiffed on them.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:26 am ...

Right, but he's definitely the same generation as Sinner and FAA. Age difference is only 1-2 years.
Should have written my post better. Sure, he is together with FAA and Sinner (and Rune), but he is clearly ahead of those. I am not sure if he can be a contender here at W, because of the surface (although it is playing so slow he can be very good on it), but at the USO, and with his good result at Miami, he will be one.
We agree, just I did not explain myself well enough.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:49 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pm
I just finished the 10th grade and I really just started thinking about universities. Obviously the University of Florida is one of my choices. Not sure if I would get recruited there, but that would be my dream. Then there is also Vanderbilt University which is also one that I probably will not be recruited at. Others include The University of South Carolina, The University of Tennessee, & The University of Kentucky. There are also local schools like The University of Maryland & The University of Delaware. There is also a small Division 3 college in Vermont called Middlebury that I like a lot.

Tough match for Felix and I am kind of bummed about that, but Cressy did play a great match and deserved to move on.
Allow me to put the University of Indianapolis on your radar. :) It's a top D2 school. They always make the national championship. I live near there and play at their tennis center, and support the teams. It's a fantastic program, great coach, great group of kids. They support each other a lot. Good school, too.

You have a great attitude about your favorites winning and losing.
I think in the my Senior year and the Summer before my Senior year I will visit some of these schools and see what they offer and what the coaches are like and maybe even hang with some of the players on the tennis team. I want to get a feel of what college is like and what schools will offer me the best chance of helping my tennis game and mostly the school that will give me the best education. That is what the main thing is and my mom makes sure she tells me that at least once or twice a week. :lol:

Both of my older brothers are in college right now. One is going to be a Senior next year and the other a Sophomore. They played Lacrosse since they were young and both play Club Lacrosse at the colleges they go to.
Solid priorities!
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:27 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm

Allow me to put the University of Indianapolis on your radar. :) It's a top D2 school. They always make the national championship. I live near there and play at their tennis center, and support the teams. It's a fantastic program, great coach, great group of kids. They support each other a lot. Good school, too.

You have a great attitude about your favorites winning and losing.
I think in the my Senior year and the Summer before my Senior year I will visit some of these schools and see what they offer and what the coaches are like and maybe even hang with some of the players on the tennis team. I want to get a feel of what college is like and what schools will offer me the best chance of helping my tennis game and mostly the school that will give me the best education. That is what the main thing is and my mom makes sure she tells me that at least once or twice a week. :lol:

Both of my older brothers are in college right now. One is going to be a Senior next year and the other a Sophomore. They played Lacrosse since they were young and both play Club Lacrosse at the colleges they go to.
Solid priorities!
When I was younger my dream was to be on the pro tour. Well it still is but I think as I have gotten a bit older I have widened my goals a bit and my main one is to get a good education from all of this.

I look at players like Coco, Emma, & Leylah and say OMG they are 18 & 19 years old and already established on the tour. Here I am only a few years younger and I am playing on my high school team. I also know that there are a lot of players that go through college and then the pro tour and maybe I will grow into that player. I have a lot of work to do to reach that level but I am a hard worker both on the court and in the classroom.

One thing you all will quickly realize about me is though I am really young I am dedicated. Heck I started all of this when I was just 5 years old and I still love it and am still going strong with it. Even if I just play at college and get a great education and then after that just play tennis for recreation for the rest of my life it will be all worth it.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:51 pm

Solid priorities!
When I was younger my dream was to be on the pro tour. Well it still is but I think as I have gotten a bit older I have widened my goals a bit and my main one is to get a good education from all of this.

I look at players like Coco, Emma, & Leylah and say OMG they are 18 & 19 years old and already established on the tour. Here I am only a few years younger and I am playing on my high school team. I also know that there are a lot of players that go through college and then the pro tour and maybe I will grow into that player. I have a lot of work to do to reach that level but I am a hard worker both on the court and in the classroom.

One thing you all will quickly realize about me is though I am really young I am dedicated. Heck I started all of this when I was just 5 years old and I still love it and am still going strong with it. Even if I just play at college and get a great education and then after that just play tennis for recreation for the rest of my life it will be all worth it.
That is such a healthy perspective. It would be well worth all the hard work if you play as a student-athlete and then have tennis in your life as a serious hobby and something fun. But going to college is a totally legit path to the pros, for sure. More and more, players are choosing that route, and I think it's so smart. Take time to develop for (mostly) free if you can and get an education along the way. Do you follow Cracked Racquets, which covers college tennis? Noticed this today and it's such a great point.

About those teenage players you mentioned - for every one of them, there are dozens of players like you who also made it to the pros. It sounds like you have all the ingredients to keep it in your sights. Good luck.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:57 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:51 pm

Solid priorities!

That is such a healthy perspective. It would be well worth all the hard work if you play as a student-athlete and then have tennis in your life as a serious hobby and something fun. But going to college is a totally legit path to the pros, for sure. More and more, players are choosing that route, and I think it's so smart. Take time to develop for (mostly) free if you can and get an education along the way. Do you follow Cracked Racquets, which covers college tennis? Noticed this today and it's such a great point.

About those teenage players you mentioned - for every one of them, there are dozens of players like you who also made it to the pros. It sounds like you have all the ingredients to keep it in your sights. Good luck.
Thank you so much. I try and work so hard everyday with my tennis. I try and take in everything I possibly can on and off the court. There are many times when my mom tells me to take a break from tennis.

I listen to a podcast that is called The Mini Break which mentions Cracked Racquets. They discuss everything about tennis. The pros and college. Right now it is all about Wimbledon.