Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I asked my mom who is in her 40's if she knew the 867 song and she said yes of course. She said even though she was really little when the song came out she still knows the song.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Re-reading some old stuff, I came upon this:
Good government never depends upon laws, but upon the personal qualities of those who govern. The machinery of government is always subordinate to the will of those that administer that machinery. The most important element of government, therefore, is the method of choosing leaders.
Law and Governance.
The Spacing Guild Manual.
---0---
In reality, from CHILDREN OF DUNE, book 3 of the original DUNE Tetralogy. Frank Herbert, 1976.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:30 am
^ Brilliant!
I'm still laughing...

I imagine a few 'For Sale' signs will go up for houses in the immediate neighbourhood very soon...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

More Darwin awards.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Pocket recording devices combined with the attention one gets by sharing on the internet has led to many deaths from people who want to record dangerous events - be it something natural like an avalanche, or some kind of stupid stunt they perform.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not forever. It is a fantastic illusion, but you can flip back and forth between the circles and rectangles.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

This is, in my view, an absolutely excellent first-person article.
I have long felt that the recent 'popular trend' of changing one's gender is in large part a product of the 'political correctness' movement, which uses and exploits individual insecurity to further their very questionable agendas... I've felt that whatever problems or sadness is present in the lives of people who change gender will still be present after the gender change; that the pretty promises that this very radical change will eradicate their problems was a very false - and very dangerous - promise.

This article takes the same position - written by a person who came very close to changing genders, and is immensely thankful that she did not do it.

"If I had gone through with a gender transition, I would have committed suicide"

Various life problems and sadness and depression are profound, complicated issues... They cannot be solved by one action.

Relevant quotation:
“Travelling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
R.I.P. Amal...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Euro is so cheap these days, less than a Swiss Franc for the first time ever I believe. Our long weekend (3 days) trip to Germany is going to cost barely more than 50% of a similar long weekend trip we had two weeks ago within Switzerland. :)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:25 pm Euro is so cheap these days, less than a Swiss Franc for the first time ever I believe. Our long weekend (3 days) trip to Germany is going to cost barely more than 50% of a similar long weekend trip we had two weeks ago within Switzerland. :)
Switzerland doesn't use the euro?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

No, we're not even in EU ;)