'22 Wimbledon Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
jazzyg United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

Yes, that is what happened. Nadal complained to the umpire about Sonego's grunting, which extended well after contact and he considered a hindrance, then called Sonego to the net to discuss it with him. Sonego told him to take it up with the umpire, and Nadal said he already had. Their meeting at the net after the match was not friendly, but after a lengthy back and forth, they agreed to settle the dispute in the locker room.

What really happened is Nadal was up 4-2 when they agreed to close the roof after much complaining about the lack of light from Sonego. That irritated Nadal, and when Sonego then broke him for the first time to draw even at 4-4, he was really ornery. But as Nadal almost always does, he hit the reset button immediately and broke back before finishing him off in the next game.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:59 am Yes, that is what happened. Nadal complained to the umpire about Sonego's grunting, which extended well after contact and he considered a hindrance, then called Sonego to the net to discuss it with him. Sonego told him to take it up with the umpire, and Nadal said he already had. Their meeting at the net after the match was not friendly, but after a lengthy back and forth, they agreed to settle the dispute in the locker room.

What really happened is Nadal was up 4-2 when they agreed to close the roof after much complaining about the lack of light from Sonego. That irritated Nadal, and when Sonego then broke him for the first time to draw even at 4-4, he was really ornery. But as Nadal almost always does, he hit the reset button immediately and broke back before finishing him off in the next game.
Thanks! Nadal's self-professed lapse of decorum in calling Sonego to the net probably didn't affect the outcome, I guess. Someone (maybe Sonego himself) said Nadal rattled Sonego by calling him up for a little discussion, but I doubt Sonego was going to turn the match around.

Really looking forward to tomorrow and merely normal drama, if any.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:25 pm
Deuce wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:38 pm You're seriously writing her off after only 3 games?
She just won 3 of the the next 4 games, by the way.
Now 3-4. :D
We were correctly writing her off because of how badly she plays today not because of the scoreline at that moment.
3 games is a very short period of time to decide that a player is not going to play well during the entire match. Especially a player who has had more success than any other player - male or female - this year.

Your assessment turned out to be correct this time - but I think that will be an exception, not a rule, whenever assessing a pro player after only 3 games.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It wasn't 3 games. It was 3 games + the entire previous match. Thus greater chances of being correcrt. Not 100%, but greater than 50% for sure.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

...while completely discounting the past 4 months.
Ok - that's your right, certainly. I simply think that it's ill-advised to give up so easily and quickly on a player who has been so dominant recently. This approach will usually be wrong more than it will be right in my opinion.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:13 am There has never been a player even remotely like Kyrgios, who disrespects the game, his opponents, the chair umpire and pretty much anyone he comes into contact with on the court to the nth degree.
^ Those who saw Nastase play might disagree with your take that there's never been anyone remotely close to Kyrgios.
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:19 am Stef should've been disqualified full stop.
^ BOTH of them should have been disqualified!

Tsitsipas not only hit that semi line-drive just missing a spectator's head, but also returned a Kyrgios underhand serve by smashing a HARD line drive about 4 feet over the heads of Gerry Armstrong (tournament referee) and the other tournament officials sitting in that section. And he did it very deliberately - there was NO attempt to hit the ball into the court at all. When he did that I thought he'd be defaulted right away - especially because it came after he had previously hit the semi line-drive narrowly missing some fans.
I don't know if he knew that the officials were seated there - but I figure he should have known, as he has played Wimbledon a few times in the past. He certainly knew that there were some people there, and he still hit the ball very hard and only about 4 feet over their heads.

As childish and full of dung as both these guys are, it does bring back memories of the various 'shenanigans' that were often present in the Connors/McEnroe era. And Nastase before that, of course. Connors learned vulgar behaviour from Nastase, and McEnroe learned disrespectful behaviour from Connors.
I will admit that it was entertaining back then, though - as was today's Kyrgios - Tsitsipas match. As juvenile and pitiful as much of the behaviour is, it does add an element and a dimension that two automatons playing each other will never have.
It would not be a good thing if all players behaved well. Contrast and difference is good. We need heroes and villains... ying and yang... S&V and baseline...

I saw somewhere (either in a post here or in an article) that someone mentioned that they'd never seen a player call another player up to the net to 'lecture' them during a match before (Nadal - Sonego). Connors did that a few times with McEnroe. Sometimes McEnroe refused to go to the net for the 'discussion', so Connors just yelled at him from his side of the net.

Some of you wonder if Kyrgios qualifies as a 'bully'...
The word I would use to describe Kyrgios is 'Asshole'.
The word I would use to describe Tsitsipas is 'Asshole'.
When two assholes play each other, no-one wins.
But it is captivating...
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:13 am There has never been a player even remotely like Kyrgios, who disrespects the game, his opponents, the chair umpire and pretty much anyone he comes into contact with on the court to the nth degree.

That said, I was still pulling for him today because I love his tennis when he is focused and believe he would have a better chance of beating Nadal if they played than Tsitsipas would. And in the unlikely event he reaches the final, I would love for Djokovic to beat him for the first time there, although I'm not assuming Djokovic will get to the final like everyone else is. He could have a tough match with the Alcaraz-Sinner winner in the quarters.
Disrespect for the game: we know he has tanked sets and full matches. He then claims that clay is a stupid surface, and does not play on it. And here, openly saying that setting doubles matches to 5 set is "stupid". If you disagree, fine, but find another word. So, check.
Disrespect for his opponents. The infamous Wawrinka/Vekic comment. Some shot selection that is trying to tell the other player that he is better. When you get Nadal to comment on you negatively, that is something. So, check.
Disrespect to the chair umpire. Simply, check. So many events.
Disrespect to like judges. Again, so many. Check.
Disrespect to the crowd. Incidents involving spitting towards the crowd. Check.

I have been watching tennis since the 70's, and I can't find a way to disagree with you. Connors, McEnroe and Nastase never tanked a match (Connors did refuse to continue playing in that match at Key Byscaine, which I find is different). Rios did tank matches, but I can't recall such rude interactions with the crowd.
About him beating Rafa. Yes, I can't see Rafa dealing with this much power on grass. Then again, Rafa is underrated as a strategist. So, let's see, but I agree. Kyrgios will beat him.
But I think Novak has enough in the return to get it back, and once the point starts, it will be advantage Novak. I think that will be the final.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem