Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by ti-amie »

Thank you dry, as usual.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

So, the neighbor across the road, Bob, hasn't left his house since he got home from work yesterday. (He works at the local stone quarry.) He's in his early 60s and has diabetes, heart problems, and other ailments. His daughter-in-law bought four COVID tests and delivered them this morning. Bob's wife refused to test him, insisting that it wasn't COVID, even though she knew some of the guys the neighbor works with at the quarry had it a few days ago--and still came to work. Instead, she left to go do a beer run, yes, a beer run, and left Bob alone in the house for over an hour.

So their son went to check on Bob, found the unused COVID tests on the kitchen counter, and also found Bob passed out. He finally got Bob to wake up and administered the test. Positive.

Bob needs to go to the hospital. He needs paxlovid or some other treatment. But I don't see anything going on down there.

I know there are several things wrong with this story--people showing up for work knowing they have COVID, prioritizing a beer run over a spouse's health, etc. But it is what it is. I hope this ends as well as it can. Bob has always been very good to us.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

sigh...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Is Bob capable of calling 911 to take him to the hospital for himself?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Covid is just a viral disease. How did it manage to become so political?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:59 pm Covid is just a viral disease. How did it manage to become so political?
1. One political figure that is really a cult figure, said it was nothing and peddled lunacy to his followers.
2. A general misunderstanding of basic tenets in science.
3. An impossibility to detect fictional conspiracy theories.

But yes, how did it get to this point?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:59 pm Is Bob capable of calling 911 to take him to the hospital for himself?
Not from the sound of it. Someone would have to call for him. The good news is that the local ambulance is less than 2 miles away. But it still takes a few minutes because they have to sound the siren, wait for volunteers to arrive, and then drive 2 miles up the mountain. (Don't worry, that's not as daunting as it sounds. We have a decent road.) And the ambulance service is free for any household in the community that makes a $100 donation to the local fire hall each year. That's the first "bill" I pay each January.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:12 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:59 pm Is Bob capable of calling 911 to take him to the hospital for himself?
Not from the sound of it. Someone would have to call for him. The good news is that the local ambulance is less than 2 miles away. But it still takes a few minutes because they have to sound the siren, wait for volunteers to arrive, and then drive 2 miles up the mountain. (Don't worry, that's not as daunting as it sounds. We have a decent road.) And the ambulance service is free for any household in the community that makes a $100 donation to the local fire hall each year.
I hope for Bob's sake someone makes the smart decision to call it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So my 80+ year old cousin invited me and my family to a bbq tomorrow July 3. I asked her if she and all the members of her household (she has an adult son) are vaccinated. At first she ducked the question. I asked again. 10 hours later she responded and said they were "good".

I'm not going.

Any update on Bob?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:09 pm Any update on Bob?
It's awfully quiet over there today, especially for a Saturday when there's usually a constant buzz of tractors, 4-wheelers, and diesel trucks. I'm wondering if perhaps his son drove him to the hospital instead of calling an ambulance. I hope so (in spite of how inherently dangerous it would be to drive 35 miles with a person sick with COVID in the truck). It's never this quiet on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I meant that. NEVER.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:59 pm Covid is just a viral disease. How did it manage to become so political?
I'll assume you're asking the question seriously - though I kind of hope you're not...

The rather obvious answer is because governments - the politicians - are the ones who were deciding upon the restrictions, protective measures, compensations, etc. directly relating to COVID-19.
And this was occurring worldwide.

And that COVID-19 is deadly to some, debilitating to many others, and is the first declared worldwide viral pandemic in a long time.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I am pleased to report I just saw Bob walk from his house to their garage. He was moving slowly, but he was moving slowly before COVID. At least he's up and around. So that is encouraging.

He's a tough cookie.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:33 pm I am pleased to report I just saw Bob walk from his house to their garage. He was moving slowly, but he was moving slowly before COVID. At least he's up and around. So that is encouraging.

He's a tough cookie.
Glad to see he is at least up and moving around. Do you know if he went to the hospital for some treatment and at least got on some medicine?
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:13 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:33 pm I am pleased to report I just saw Bob walk from his house to their garage. He was moving slowly, but he was moving slowly before COVID. At least he's up and around. So that is encouraging.

He's a tough cookie.
Glad to see he is at least up and moving around. Do you know if he went to the hospital for some treatment and at least got on some medicine?
He didn't go to the hospital. Chances are he fought that notion tooth and nail if anyone mentioned it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

My daughter just told me another of her friends has come down with C19. This is in addition to four of her co-workers, one of whom had had C19 during its first go around.