'22 Wimbledon Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:37 pm Jabeur has to be the major favorite to make the final. I really hope she goes up against Amanda. It is really gonna be tough for Amanda to get to the final with Halep then probably Rybakina, but I am hoping.
Top half is so much harder. Ons is the big favorite. Hope she and Tatjana enjoy the match. They know each other's games well.
Just heard they are really good friends. It will be a great match to watch.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Were the Cambridges at the Sinner/Djokovic match? The definitely found their way to Court 1 and were avidly cheering Norrie on. Djokovic was upset that none of the British royals hung around for his late match the other day.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They were. They then moved to support the last remaining Briton.
Ons/Tatjana: I saw the interview with Tati (we can no longer treat her as a stranger). She also mentioned their friendship, said she was rooting for her in the next match, said Ons has been a babysitter for her kids. Tennis wise: prepare to see more slices in one match that you will see in all of the other WTA matches for one year. Tati used it deftly against Niemeier, as was expected.
Ons 80%, Tati 20%. Odds for that match.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

BTW. Maria has made the semis. That would have been 720 Pts; she has 654, at the #103 position. Those 720 points would have moved her ahead of Cornet, around 36, and would have ensure entry at the USO, Aussie and RG next year. So, roughly, the Russia ban and subsequent lack of points has cost her her best ranking ever, and three direct Slam entries, worth at least $200K.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:25 pm BTW. Maria has made the semis. That would have been 720 Pts; she has 654, at the #103 position. Those 720 points would have moved her ahead of Cornet, around 36, and would have ensure entry at the USO, Aussie and RG next year. So, roughly, the Russia ban and subsequent lack of points has cost her her best ranking ever, and three direct Slam entries, worth at least $200K.
AND, consider the following- Maria wins Wimbledon, but could conceivably then have to qualify to play the US Open.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:54 pmHell of a story. She said, "Some people like to go skydiving. I like to go have a kid and come back to play tennis." She's gotten a lucky break with the draw, but luck is part of sports. And she beat a legit contender in Ostapenko by extending the match, and also took out Sakkari.
That ain't a description of lucky breaks in a draw IMO. She best high quality players- three seeds- in very tough matches.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It also made her nearly 600k which might not have happened with someone like Sabalenka around.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:25 pm BTW. Maria has made the semis. That would have been 720 Pts; she has 654, at the #103 position. Those 720 points would have moved her ahead of Cornet, around 36, and would have ensure entry at the USO, Aussie and RG next year. So, roughly, the Russia ban and subsequent lack of points has cost her her best ranking ever, and three direct Slam entries, worth at least $200K.
AND, consider the following- Maria wins Wimbledon, but could conceivably then have to qualify to play the US Open.
I hope she gets wild cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:37 pm Jabeur has to be the major favorite to make the final. I really hope she goes up against Amanda. It is really gonna be tough for Amanda to get to the final with Halep then probably Rybakina, but I am hoping.
Top half is so much harder. Ons is the big favorite. Hope she and Tatjana enjoy the match. They know each other's games well.
The most likely scenario in the Final is going to be Halep against Jabeur and that is gonna be a great Final. I hope it is Anisimova against Jabeur, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:54 pmHell of a story. She said, "Some people like to go skydiving. I like to go have a kid and come back to play tennis." She's gotten a lucky break with the draw, but luck is part of sports. And she beat a legit contender in Ostapenko by extending the match, and also took out Sakkari.
That ain't a description of lucky breaks in a draw IMO. She best high quality players- three seeds- in very tough matches.
Just a little bit lucky - to get a qualifier in the quarters and be in a section with a weak #2 seed. A little luck is normal to go deep in a Slam. Full credit for the tough wins.

Compared to the top half, I think she got a relatively easy draw until now.

Maria has played 4 three-setters, long matches, and Jabeur has only played one and cruised most of the way. Wonder if Maria will be tired.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:45 pm
nelslus wrote:
Just a little bit lucky - to get a qualifier in the quarters and be in a section with a weak #2 seed. A little luck is normal to go deep in a Slam. Full credit for the tough wins.

Compared to the top half, I think she got a relatively easy draw until now.

Maria has played 4 three-setters, long matches, and Jabeur has only played one and cruised most of the way. Wonder if Maria will be tired.
It doesn't hurt to get lucky that is for sure. I wear hats and visors on the court that say Lucky In Love. Love not meaning the romantic love, but in the tennis Love sense. So yeah it is really good to be lucky in tennis.

I don't know how lucky Tatjana will be against her good friend Ons, but I hope they both have good fun with the match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:40 pm It also made her nearly 600k which might not have happened with someone like Sabalenka around.
Not a total loss, certainly. But the Sabalenka possibility would have been the same as drawing Ons in the first round as opposed to the SF's. The no points, on the other hand, was a certainty from the beginning.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:57 pm It doesn't hurt to get lucky that is for sure. I wear hats and visors on the court that say Lucky In Love.
I like that brand! They have collaborated with Bethanie Mattek-Sands on some wild looks.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:54 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:57 pm It doesn't hurt to get lucky that is for sure. I wear hats and visors on the court that say Lucky In Love.
I like that brand! They have collaborated with Bethanie Mattek-Sands on some wild looks.
I think their stuff is really awesome. I didn't know Bethanie was with the brand. so cool.

Post by meganfernandez »

I didn’t know Niemeier was up a break in the third set, 4-2. Oof. Hope we see more of her, though.