'22 Wimbledon Day 13 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 13 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:35 am ...

Djokovic, as you remember, was promised by Australian tennis federation that he will get medical exemption and on this ground will enter the country. But some reporters decided to milk this situation and created "public outcry", which some politicians then in turn decided to milk and denied him the entry. Australians can do whatever they pleased with their entry policy. But if it differs significantly from the majority of other countries, then they lose the right to call their championship "open".
During that discussion, it was basically agreed that the way the Aussie Open/Australian Tennis/Australian government handled the situation was very poor. There was no disagreement on that.
About Australia's C19 policy being different from other countries: It is the same as in (for example) the USA, Canada, ALL S. American countries, and many more. Mandatory vaccination is very much the norm in many countries.
And about being "Open". A tennis tournament is not above country laws. Again, as an example. Any Venezuelan player that would qualify and wanted to play Wimbledon would still need a UK Visa. Maybe the LTA could provide a letter for his/her application to be considered in a better way ("We guarantee that this person indeed plans to compete at The Championships"), but there have been enough cases during the history of the sport in which a player has missed a tournament due to a visa problem.
What is your opinion then of the USO, IF the US Govt does not allow him entry?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:54 pm
mick1303 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:35 am ...

Djokovic, as you remember, was promised by Australian tennis federation that he will get medical exemption and on this ground will enter the country. But some reporters decided to milk this situation and created "public outcry", which some politicians then in turn decided to milk and denied him the entry. Australians can do whatever they pleased with their entry policy. But if it differs significantly from the majority of other countries, then they lose the right to call their championship "open".
During that discussion, it was basically agreed that the way the Aussie Open/Australian Tennis/Australian government handled the situation was very poor. There was no disagreement on that.
About Australia's C19 policy being different from other countries: It is the same as in (for example) the USA, Canada, ALL S. American countries, and many more. Mandatory vaccination is very much the norm in many countries.
And about being "Open". A tennis tournament is not above country laws. Again, as an example. Any Venezuelan player that would qualify and wanted to play Wimbledon would still need a UK Visa. Maybe the LTA could provide a letter for his/her application to be considered in a better way ("We guarantee that this person indeed plans to compete at The Championships"), but there have been enough cases during the history of the sport in which a player has missed a tournament due to a visa problem.
What is your opinion then of the USO, IF the US Govt does not allow him entry?
Even if US follows the suit, it was Australians who created a precedent. Slams known to stick together, so it is not impossible that US Open follows. But while I would consider them at fault as well, they would not be the ones who violated sporting principles first.
BTW, do you remember player missing a slam due to visa problem? I don't.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:11 pm ...
Even if US follows the suit, it was Australians who created a precedent. Slams known to stick together, so it is not impossible that US Open follows. But while I would consider them at fault as well, they would not be the ones who violated sporting principles first.
Very rare, but one Venezuelan player once missed the USO due to am expired visa (the qualies). Because Venezuela is a country with an extra-stupid government, we cannot have two passports, so this player was playing in S. America and, when he finally got back home in Caracas, it was too late to ask for a visa in time.
Bureaucracy, and Venezuela was mostly to blame, but it is one case I can recall.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:18 pm
mick1303 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:11 pm ...
Very rare, but one Venezuelan player once missed the USO due to am expired visa (the qualies). Because Venezuela is a country with an extra-stupid government, we cannot have two passports, so this player was playing in S. America and, when he finally got back home in Caracas, it was too late to ask for a visa in time.
Bureaucracy, and Venezuela was mostly to blame, but it is one case I can recall.
I think that Visa problems would happen more often in countries such as Venezuela or other countries that the Government would hold up the process. I wouldn't think it has happened too often with players from the United States, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, or Great Britain.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Passports are not universally accepted around the world, in the sense that some nationalities get entry without a visa. The UK, Japan, USA, and most European countries can travel around the world without a visa. I believe the Japanese passport is the best, with over 16o countries accepting entry with no visa.
The USA imposes visas for most S. American countries. Europe is divided, with the Schengen area separated from the British isles, which have a different immigration regime. Venezuela has become a pariah state and we get requested visas from more and more countries, even within the L. American community.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:19 pm
Deuce wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:53 am As I said - it's fundamentally - and logistically - impossible to get that many people to all agree to lie to the world in the exact same way at the same time.
It has never happened in the history of mankind, and it never will.
Because it's absolutely impossible.
I don’t think that an agreement on the necessity of these measures was that unilateral as you’re describing.
The facts say otherwise.
In fact, they SCREAM otherwise...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower