My new tennis goal for the remainder of 2022

Our main board to talk about our sport
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

My new tennis goal for the remainder of 2022

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I have decided to set a new tennis goal for the remaining months of 2022. This tennis goal has nothing to do with the techniques of my forehand, backhand or any of my strokes. It has nothing to do with my footwork, but I suppose it could have something to do with my mental game. I am talking about my grunting. After talking about it on here and watching videos some of which were suggested by some of you, I have come to realize that the grunting I do doesn't really add anything to my game at all. I always thought it might add more power into my ground strokes as I thought if I grunt I might be exerting more energy into the shots, but honestly my shots are not generating more power.

So I am starting in practice to become a quieter version of myself and it will transition into my match play as well. I expect to see no difference in my game play at all from doing this. When I mentioned this to my coach that I was going to do this he really didn't have any words about it either way other than saying he would have to take less Tylenol after practice from the headaches he got from all the grunting I would do. :lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: My new tennis goal for the remainder of 2022

Post by ponchi101 »

Welcome to the ranks of the Silent Ones :clap: :clap: :clap:
Don't do that because of some of our opinions. Your game is your game. Experiment a little; drop some decibels, but make sure your breathing is normal and relaxed.
As long as you don't sound like this, there is no problem.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:58 pm Welcome to the ranks of the Silent Ones :clap: :clap: :clap:
Don't do that because of some of our opinions. Your game is your game. Experiment a little; drop some decibels, but make sure your breathing is normal and relaxed.
As long as you don't sound like this, there is no problem.
:lol: I am 100% sure my breathing is fine or my coach would have said something a very long time ago. The question I keep asking myself is grunting really a part of my game or just something I feel I have to do because I see some pro players doing it? In the beginning I really thought there was some benefit to grunting, but really there is not. That is the main reason now I don't feel it is necessary for me to do it.

If I for some odd reason go on a long losing match streak and it gets into my head it is because I am not grunting then I don't know what I will do. I doubt that will happen, because I am not that sort of player where things like that get to me, but I guess it could happen and I'd go back to grunting.

It's not like I am trying a one handed backhand after many years of a two handed backhand and then my game starts to fall apart. This is just grunting which really isn't that important to the game at all.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:58 pm As long as you don't sound like this, there is no problem.
Or this. :)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:01 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:58 pm As long as you don't sound like this, there is no problem.
Or this. :)

She sounds like she is howling. :lol:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Update: My goal on becoming silent is going well. I still do the occasional fist pump and "Come On" after nice shots I have made, but other than that my routine ground strokes have become pretty much silent.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Randomize your "C'mons". "Vamos", "Allez", "das war ein toller Schuss!" can all become part of your vocabulary ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:07 pm :clap: :clap: :clap:
Randomize your "C'mons". "Vamos", "Allez", "das war ein toller Schuss!" can all become part of your vocabulary ;)
I do say "Vamos" sometimes. :D
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:34 pm Update: My goal on becoming silent is going well. I still do the occasional fist pump and "Come On" after nice shots I have made, but other than that my routine ground strokes have become pretty much silent.
But what do you say/yell when you miss a shot you know you should have made???
:twisted: :freaking: :bang:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:19 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:34 pm Update: My goal on becoming silent is going well. I still do the occasional fist pump and "Come On" after nice shots I have made, but other than that my routine ground strokes have become pretty much silent.
But what do you say/yell when you miss a shot you know you should have made???
:twisted: :freaking: :bang:
Well, I don't really yell. I do say a few choice words under my breath sometimes. :lol: