Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
patrick United States of America

Re: Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

Post by patrick »

No. Got Russian help in 2016 then screaming "Bloody Murder" in 2020 forward
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:15 pm

There is no bottom.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ourse.html
Hopefully that plot gets filled quickly.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Republicans block cap on insulin costs for millions of patients
GOP senators move to strip a $35 price cap on insulin under private insurance from the Inflation Reduction Act
By Evan Halper and Tony Romm
August 7, 2022 at 10:57 a.m. EDT

Republican lawmakers on Sunday successfully stripped a $35 price cap on the cost of insulin for many patients from the ambitious legislative package Democrats are moving through Congress this weekend, invoking arcane Senate rules to jettison the measure.

The insulin cap is a long-running ambition of Democrats, who want it to apply to patients on Medicare and private insurance. Republicans left the portion that applies to Medicare patients untouched but stripped the insulin cap for other patients. Bipartisan talks on a broader insulin pricing bill faltered earlier this year.

The Senate parliamentarian earlier in the weekend ruled that part of the Democrats’ cap, included in the Inflation Reduction Act, did not comply with the rules that allow them to advance a bill under the process known as reconciliation — a tactic that helps them avert a GOP filibuster. That gave the Republicans an opening to jettison it.

“Republicans have just gone on the record in favor of expensive insulin,” said Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). “After years of tough talk about taking on insulin makers, Republicans have once against wilted in the face of heat from Big Pharma."

Some Republicans did support the price cap in the 57-43 vote for the measure, but not enough joined Democrats in support of it to meet the threshold for passage.

More than 1 in 5 insulin users on private medical insurance pay more than $35 per month for the medicine, according to a recent analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Some 7 million Americans require insulin daily. A Yale University study found that 14 percent of those insulin users are spending more than 40 percent of their income after food and housing costs on the medicine.

Despite an adverse ruling from the chamber’s parliamentarian, Democrats opted to keep the full price cap provision in the bill anyway. That gave Republicans, led in debate by Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), an opening for a challenge on the Senate floor. Democrats would have needed 60 votes — their entire caucus plus the support of 10 GOP members — to beat back that challenge. They came up short.

The fight was a policy loss for Democrats, but it was also a political win, as lowering the price of drugs like insulin is popular with voters.

"The only way it doesn’t pass is if folks on the other side of the aisle decide to block it,” said Sen. Raphael G. Warnock (D-Ga.), who had previously put forward legislation calling for a price cap.

GOP lawmakers had earlier tried to offer their own, more scaled-back version of an insulin price limit, but Democrats rejected it as too narrow.

“The cost of insulin isn’t just out of control, it is devastating people," Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) said on the Senate floor, imploring the GOP not to strip the price cap from the bill. "This should not be a hard vote to cast.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -congress/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Maya Angelou said it best. The only problem is... This isn't the first time.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3ppy5/ ... -rage-cage

The surreal scene around the cage in the CPAC exhibit hall was only made more bizarre when security guards began parting the crowds for extreme-right Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. The “jail guards” unlocked the cage and allowed her in. She hugged Straka, before falling to her knees in front of the chair he was sitting on. They clasped hands and prayed together.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:22 pm https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3ppy5/ ... -rage-cage

The surreal scene around the cage in the CPAC exhibit hall was only made more bizarre when security guards began parting the crowds for extreme-right Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. The “jail guards” unlocked the cage and allowed her in. She hugged Straka, before falling to her knees in front of the chair he was sitting on. They clasped hands and prayed together.
:vomit:

I saw the cosplay pics. I'm still not quite over it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think this all came out thanks to a FOIA request. That resignation letter should've come out during the second impeachment trial.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

And this.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

@itscaitlinhd
Aggregated by @threadreaderapp

1/ I've spent the last 18 months investigating how our government reached the point of taking children away from their parents as a way to discourage migration to the United States. Here's my story about how and why it happened, and who's responsible.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... on/670604/

2/ Beyond the answers to those initial questions, I came away with a new understanding of the government processes and procedures that exist to prevent bad policies from being implemented--systems that in this case, were dismantled, disempowered or ignored.

3/It's easy to blame family separations on a few hawks and a chaotic administration, but they were co-signed by dozens of high ranking political appointees and bureaucrats. Some actively supported the idea, but many simply declined to push back, figuring that someone else would.

4/The implications cannot be overstated. At press time, the parents of 185 separated children still had not been found. Even those who have been reunified remain, in many cases, profoundly traumatized. Both parents and children are struggling with severe mental illness.

5/For years we've been told that separations were done humanely and without incident. That's not true. Neris González, a Salvadoran consular worker, recalls kids being physically pulled back and forth between their parents and agents; she worried some might get hurt.

6/She says the CBP processing center where she worked was virtually locked down while separations were underway. No one outside of government was allowed in to see what was going on.

7/González can still hear the children's ear-piercing screams. She recalls getting ready to leave the facility at the end of the day. The children hugged and clung to her, begging her not to leave them in the detention center alone.

8/When I asked government officials how this could have happened, many told me they had no idea how badly awry separations would go. But government records show the opposite-everything that went wrong was documented in advance warnings. Still, the administration forged ahead.

9/This piece is the continuation of a body of work by many reporters who helped to uncover family separations before they were publicly acknowledged, during the many months when government officials were misleading congress and the public about what they were doing.

11/There are too many to name, but among them @JuliaEAinsley @lomikriel @jacobsoboroff @gingerthomp1 @mariasacchetti @NickMiroff @DLind @JonathanBlitzer @Haleaziz and of course, @nixonron @mirjordan @shearm and @juliehdavis. The list goes on and on. Please add to it.

12/And the work is ongoing. @iamfannygarcia and @NaraMilanich are recording the oral histories of separated families to ensure that their stories are preserved. washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/…

13/This story couldn't have happened w/out my brilliant colleagues, starting w/ the unparalleled @SStossel. @AndrewAoyama's research was indispensable, as was a copy and checking army, plus our photo, art and experimental storytelling departments. I'm so lucky to work with them.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm ...

I think this all came out thanks to a FOIA request. That resignation letter should've come out during the second impeachment trial.
Great. But I am still puzzled by the inevitable "It is with great regret that I present my resignation". No, it is with great pride. "I will not surrender my duty to the USA, and I will fight you all the way to ensure your agenda will not come to fruition".
Is that so hard to write?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm ...

Great. But I am still puzzled by the inevitable "It is with great regret that I present my resignation". No, it is with great pride. "I will not surrender my duty to the USA, and I will fight you all the way to ensure your agenda will not come to fruition".
Is that so hard to write?
Actually, yes. That would be very difficult, and dangerous, to write. We're talking about a former President who had a well-decorated track record for destroying people who opposed him or stood up to him--with a high degree of success. I don't blame him one bit.

That said, as it was worded, I'm pretty sure he landed on 45's permanent (expletive) List. That's risky enough.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This is a military man. If he is intimidated by this fat ass, you guys are in more problems than we know.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

An interesting breakdown of media coverage of the search done at Mar-a-Lago by the FBI.

P 1/2

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P2/2

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »