An early look at the US Open

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Canucklehead Canada

Re: An early look at the US Open

Post by Canucklehead »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:11 am
Canucklehead wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:02 am I could come up with and post a list of players whom I believe will be contenders or win the US Open, but honestly all that will prove is how much I actually do not know about who is going to be the contenders or who is going to the Slam. ;)
You just basically described a rite of passage for this site. The "Test of the Fumbler" ;)
I could also post a list of like 15 to 20 players and if one of them does so happen to win the tournament, I can then say, "Oh look, I told you so." ;) When actually, I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell what I was talking about.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, we did that last year, on the women's side. Remember what happened? :bang:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Canucklehead Canada

Post by Canucklehead »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:18 am Oh, we did that last year, on the women's side. Remember what happened? :bang:
That looks like a severe headache is what happened. :lol:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30 am on the women's , yes, more but 6-8 at most:
Swiatek, Osaka :?: :!: :?: , Rybakina (ok, I can understand that one), Andreescu :?: :!: :?: if the courts are slow,
Leylah :?: :!: :?: and Raducanu :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :roll: if they are fast. Add BHM to the mix (that's a stretch... but... ok) ..nobody outside these is going to win!
Yes - of course Leylah and Emma are among the few favourites this year - because they made the final last year, and so that qualifies them as favourites this year :roll: .
Especially because Emma's results are piss poor over the past 11 months, and Leylah is just returning from a stress fracture in her foot which kept her away from competitive matches for 2 months.

Indeed, all the criteria are there for them to be favourites!

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

We shall see, won't we?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Actually, Zheng should be considered, especially if the courts are slow..she showed her prowess at RG and again in Toronto .hits hard and deep, pure aggression...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:49 am Whomever wins Montreal will be a contender. And the finalist too.
Same for Cincy (in the men's).
And, yes, our disagreement is expected by now :) Because: I see no way, whatsoever, that Osaka is a contender this year, nor Rybakina, and your faith in Raducanu is exemplary. If she draws any player ranked 33-40, she loses in the first round.
And I still will pick OTHER.
Only if his name is Nadal...the only person who has won all 3 in the same year
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Serious here.
So, you are saying that if, for example, Tommy Paul takes Montreal by beating Kyrgios in the final (I don't know which side of the draw they are in right this moment) that would still mean NOTHING about his chances at the USO? A recent win on a similar surface would be meaningless.
But, at the same time, Raducanu should be considered a favorite because of last year's win, despite the fact she has done nothing since.
You are a tough customer, Ashkor. Anybody winning Canada or Cincy should have a few chips in his/her game to win the USO.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:52 pm Serious here.
So, you are saying that if, for example, Tommy Paul takes Montreal by beating Kyrgios in the final (I don't know which side of the draw they are in right this moment) that would still mean NOTHING about his chances at the USO? A recent win on a similar surface would be meaningless.
But, at the same time, Raducanu should be considered a favorite because of last year's win, despite the fact she has done nothing since.
You are a tough customer, Ashkor. Anybody winning Canada or Cincy should have a few chips in his/her game to win the USO.
Of course they do. Most semifinalists and finalists, too. We tend to focus only on winners - depends on how they won. Predicting who will win is a totally different story, and pretty much a fool's errand.

Strong results = form and confidence. B3/B5 and seven matches does make a big difference. On the men's side, the argument against this is that Djokovic and Nadal are heavy favorites regardless of their lead-up preparation. So I agree that a Canada or Cincy winner won't knock them off the favorite pedestal, but could be a 2nd-tier candidate. IT depends on who it is and who they beat. If Botic manages to win Cincy without beating a Top 5 player, for instance, I'm not sure I'd put him as a 2nd-tier favorite. If FAA does by beating Tsitsipas or Medvedev, I would.

Women's side has its own nuances. They don't go from B3 to B=5, but the parity balances out winning form.
AshBartyfan Czech Republic

Post by AshBartyfan »

I think Badosa could win this year.

Post by meganfernandez »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:31 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:52 pm Serious here.
Of course they do. Most semifinalists and finalists, too.
Edit: Not PCB. :) I mean, could he, really?

Post by meganfernandez »

AshBartyfan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:05 pm I think Badosa could win this year.
Love her, so I'm curious why you think so. I wish! Don't know what made her retire mid-match in Toronto.
AshBartyfan Czech Republic

Post by AshBartyfan »

I saw her match against Gauff last week and I was truly impressed. Her game really suits to hardcourts. Hope she will recover soon.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:46 pm ...

Edit: Not PCB. :) I mean, could he, really?
Two time USO SF P. Carreño Busta, who made one such SF as early as 2020, and was only one set away from the final?
Uhm, damn good question. Could this guy, with limited weapons, win the USO? Lleyton Hewitt, with limited weapons too, did. He would need to have other players take out some big guns, but PCB is solid. That is his sole excellent trait, but you have had solid players reach the final before. Hewitt, Chang, Pioline.
Tier 2, but this Open will be open, especially if Novak is finally unable to play.
AcesAnnie United States of America

Post by AcesAnnie »

I say Rafa has to be considered a favorite for the US Open. I imagine he has been taking care of his abdominal issue and will be 100% ready for the US Open. Medvedev can give him problems if they meet in the later rounds, but Rafa should be there in the end.

Someone on the ladies side who has a big, but erratic serve in Karolina Pliskova could also make waves in the tournament.