Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:25 am Meanwhile a respected journalist tells us, in Tennis magazine, that Strycova won RG last year
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

On a positive note, String Theory by David Foster Wallace is a marvellous book of essays on tennis..well worth your time, both in terms of insights and sheer writing..the chapter on Federer has entered tennis lore, but I personally like the one on Tracy Austin best...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Actually, a book I have never read, and have heard nothing but positive praise.
I really should.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:52 am On a positive note, String Theory by David Foster Wallace is a marvellous book of essays on tennis..well worth your time, both in terms of insights and sheer writing..the chapter on Federer has entered tennis lore, but I personally like the one on Tracy Austin best...
I will have to look for this book. Thanks for sharing about it.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

This IS wonderful creativity. Don’t know where else to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:26 am This IS wonderful creativity. Don’t know where else to put it.

It's all too often very true.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:26 am This IS wonderful creativity. Don’t know where else to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next time somebody says satire is dead....
Brilliant :notworthy: And, as an aspiring writer that will never make it, I roast with envy :fuelfire:

Post by meganfernandez »

I wrote this for Milwaukee magazine. You can decide if you think it's great or *great" tennis journalism. :) IMO, it's neither. It's OK. (It's about Essential Tennis's founder, Ian Westermann, who lives and coaches in Wisconsin.)

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/youtubes-m ... milwaukee/

Also, I just started writing for Tennis.com, and I admit this isn't great journalism. :) But I had to find a Baseline story that day while juggling editing other stuff for the website, and this worked. Emma-Serena was the talk of the tennis world.

https://www.tennis.com/baseline/article ... ving-large
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am really tempted to start a new topic because both articles go completely against the spirit of this topic, which is LOUSY tennis journalism. I really enjoyed the Westermann article; I totally disagree with the "pros" that just feed you balls and never even give you a hint of what you are doing wrong. His approach seems, to me, the correct one.
Two great pieces (I also enjoyed the other, although not as much as the first one). YOU HAVE RUINED THIS TOPIC, MEGAN! Ruined it!
Congrats. Indeed, Great Tennis Journalism :clap: :clap: :clap:
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yeah no great journalism allowed in the Great Journalism thread :D
:steven:

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:04 pm I am really tempted to start a new topic because both articles go completely against the spirit of this topic, which is LOUSY tennis journalism. I really enjoyed the Westermann article; I totally disagree with the "pros" that just feed you balls and never even give you a hint of what you are doing wrong. His approach seems, to me, the correct one.
Two great pieces (I also enjoyed the other, although not as much as the first one). YOU HAVE RUINED THIS TOPIC, MEGAN! Ruined it!
Congrats. Indeed, Great Tennis Journalism :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sorry for spoiling the fun. :) This isn't great tennis journalism, but it's decent. Thanks for reading and for the kind words. I'd love to know what questions you're left with, because I'm going to write a more tennis-focused version of the story pretty soon. This one was a general profile.

I would have put this in Tennis Random, Random before it changed to On Court Only.

I made some true Great Tennis Journalism errors on the Tennis.com page when I was working on Saturday. I posted that Ruud beat Djokovic in the quarters at Toronto last year - nope, it was Rome last year, and I misread the match notes. Also mixed up Team Europe and Team World in a Ruud story, and that one stayed up for hours before I caught it. No one was proofing my stories. To me, the European team scanned as "world," and I just made a mistake. Looked at it 10 times before I caught it. Happens. I was waiting for someone to post those here. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If you have time, which I know it is precious due to deadlines, you can start a topic and we can help you proof-read it. It can be fun.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:16 pm If you have time, which I know it is precious due to deadlines, you can start a topic and we can help you proof-read it. It can be fun.
I wish there was for outside proof-read before posting. Maybe an hour in some cases... Might try it next time, whenever that is. I appreciate the offer!

Right now, I need new angles on Westermann. Something tennis-centric. Been circling around why tennis teaching pros don't use video more (Ian has never been invited to a coaching conference, for instance, and given his Youtube following, that's odd). Or why club players get so worked up about being a tiny bit better, when there's nothing at stake. That kind of life/identity/tennis intersection, which Ian specializes in.

In the past, I never got responses when I have asked for help with story ideas. Several times. I figured it's just not what people here are into.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But you have the idea right there. You read your article, and the question is obvious: why don't the other pros do this? Why just the basket of balls? After all, today, everybody has a camcorder in his/her pocket.
So, why and how did Westermann hit on the idea, but other people don't do it? For example, when we go skiing, I always film my GF with my phone, on the 2nd-3rd day. Then I will film her about every two weeks, so she can see her progress.
Why isn't this method adopted, and what other media can be used to enhance teaching?
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

I am surprised that other tennis teachers/coaches of club-level players aren't taping the people they are helping. I remember someone telling me that they had gone someplace to take some tennis lessons, and the coach has taped them so they could see what they were doing wrong. And that was 20 years ago.