'22 WTA ATP GS USOpen 8/29 - 9/11

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 WTA ATP GS USOpen 8/29 - 9/11

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:27 am
texasniteowl wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:46 am
Deuce wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:05 am Both Ruud and Alcaraz made sure to mention the tragedy of 9/11 right off the bat in their post match on-court interview.
Gotta admit, it both felt odd to me and make me feel very old. Alcaraz was not even born at the time!
Indeed - everything is relative. :lol:
Even Leylah's eloquent mention of 9/11 last year felt odd...
But I think it's good that they are mentioning it, which means that they are being educated about that particular portion of history, at least.
yeah, a 9/11 acknowledgment is expected. I think they're better safe than sorry. I'm sure their managers told them to say something. I think they both did a good job with an awkward moment. Unfortunately, Chris McKendry's heavy-handed interview departed from the norm and Casper didn't find an opening to congratulate Alcaraz or thank the tournament, fans, ballkids, sponsors, yada yada. If he wasn't so nice, he would have ignored her questions and said whatever he wanted. But he followed her lead. I think the interviewer should just prompt the player's speech, not interview them, at least unless they get stuck, then they could jump in and help.

Post by meganfernandez »

In honor of - and complete thievery of - Jon Wertheim's 50 Parting Shots after a Slam, I thought we could do our own.

Starting off, in no particular order.

Galan and Nave are fun to watch. Nava, in particular, was a dynamic showman winning the first set vs Murray.

Sabalenka likes playing at the US Open.

Comedian Chris Mann should have a front-row pass.

We didn’t talk about Kyrgios for the first week, and it was fantastic.

Serena was a great first-week story, and I thought the match was a perfect ending to her career. The last game was her career writ small.

Shot of Day 5? ADF serving down at 3-4 deuce in the fourth.

Moutet getting ready for 2nd set vs Ruud after losing the first 6-1:

Shot of the tournament? PCB match point 6-5 in the fourth set TB

​​
Zhang Shuai had a suprising resurgence this summer, overshadowed by Garcia’s.

Careers aren’t linear. We say "so-and-so is done/faded/over the hill" too soon. Garcia, Kvitova, Pliskova, and Azarenka all had better results than people would have expected earlier this year. Who else did? Cilic?

Matches to rewatch to stave off the Grand Slam hangover: Serena/Kontaveit, Serena/Tomljanovic (or just the 2nd set TB and the last game), Alcaraz/Sinner, Alcaraz/Tiafoe. What else? What were some sleepers?

Women's match of the tournament: Serena/Tomljanovic

Men's match of the tournament: Alcaraz/Sinner

Nadal’s racket bouncing off the ground and hitting his nose was the weirdest injury. Can't find a video.

Sabalenka switched her rackets between serves vs Collins, facing BP while serving for the second set. Commentators were still talking about it in her next match. Swiatek switched before her championship point in the final. Both she and Pegula switched rackets like Raducanu switches coaches. Weird micro-trend this tournament.

I loved these Alcaraz quotes: “I’ll never be too tired to say thank-you” and “The last thing you lose is hope.”

Alcaraz's 2:30 am 2:50 am finishes might kill best-of-five at the Slams, says Craig Shapiro.

Most candid on-court interview moment.

Coaching was legal for the first time in a Slam. Did it matter?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I will only comment on the very last point.
I was expecting that the coaching would be a monumental disaster. It wasn't. I could only catch up on some Spanish comments from the Nadal and Alcaraz camps, and it was basically inane. So, sure. Let your team tell you this silly advice. I really think it did not make a difference.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:54 pm I will only comment on the very last point.
I was expecting that the coaching would be a monumental disaster. It wasn't. I could only catch up on some Spanish comments from the Nadal and Alcaraz camps, and it was basically inane. So, sure. Let your team tell you this silly advice. I really think it did not make a difference.
I didn't hear much technical or strategic input, but I only heard a drop in the bucket anyway. Most of it, we can't hear, and that doesn't account for language barriers and matches on all the courts. The media can't hear much, so they're going to struggle to report on this.

Collins was begging her box for serving advice against Sabalenka, but her coach kept saying to keep her energy up because she'll get chances (in that third set) and she needs to be ready to take them. He and her boyfriend also said "finish your shots." She kept saying, "I just need one thing on my serve." That was about the meatiest coaching conversation I heard.

Ferrero was talking to Alcaraz, but no idea what he was saying.

One college coach told me that she would never talk technique to a player during a match. Wouldn't suggest they start playing a different way than they're used to. The match isn't the time to talk about technique. She was there to help them mentally and with strategy. But if someone is making a lot of UFEs on a certain shot, surely a coach would say something. I think strategy and adjusting has more impact on the match, though.

Collins wanted to spend changeover time talking to her coach, and the umpire said no. She had to stay at her chair throughout the changeover. That's silly to me. If you're going to allow coaching, why not let them use their changeover time any way they want?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

During the final, Ferrero told Alcaraz, in the 3rd, to go for it in the first three shots ("Attack the first three shots") and then see what would come up. He also gave him some advice in the Tiafoe match to move forward on the serve. That was the most complicated thing I heard.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:41 pm During the final, Ferrero told Alcaraz, in the 3rd, to go for it in the first three shots ("Attack the first three shots") and then see what would come up. He also gave him some advice in the Tiafoe match to move forward on the serve. That was the most complicated thing I heard.
I think that's meaty coaching. It's not nothing, or generic encouragement. It's definitely not what was permitted before this year. Alcaraz was very aggressive in the third set, so maybe it mattered.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Interesting background...
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Best non player involved pic of the tournament?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

My big takeaway was that Ashe, regardless of the time of day, was full most of the time. Usually during the first week fans in the know are out on the outer courts and it's only at night that Ashe is full. I wonder why that was?

As a result of the higher attendance it's no surprise they ran out of cups, etc.

ESPN comms, with a few exceptions, were horrid. That never changes.

The WTA had stories to tell but if you weren't a tennishead there are many you wouldn't know about, Caroline Garcia being one of them.

As for the ATP once the second week rolled around there was really only one story - the race for #1. It was well covered.

My favorite pics/video?

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:00 pm My big takeaway was that Ashe, regardless of the time of day, was full most of the time. Usually during the first week fans in the know are out on the outer courts and it's only at night that Ashe is full. I wonder why that was?
That is interesting. More top seeds there during the day session since Serena always played the night session, and S&V had a night sessions, too? Maybe the grounds were more packed? Maybe the extra people were mostly Ashe upper-level ticket holders.
ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:00 pm
3ga is born. Life expectancy, 4.5 months.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That picture of Alcaraz, "flying", where you can see both Nike swooshes on his shoes, will be worth millions for Nike. A very good deal for the photographer.
AshBartyfan Czech Republic

Post by AshBartyfan »

US Open 2022 Quiz
How much do you remember? ;)