Did you play today?

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Did you play today?

Post by ponchi101 »

It is very good training. The singles player has to do most of the work, but then gets a break.
Should be hitting a bit later today. Cloudy and cold, so if it stays that way, it may be an easy session.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:40 am There were only 3 of us at the court today, so we played 'tringles' - 2 against 1 .we play 3 games and then rotate..the player playing alone has to defend the singles court, the pair has to defend the entire court..everyone serves once..
I find this game very interesting tactically..when you are playing alone, against 2 players who are good volleyers, you need to get to the net right away! Scoring is- every game has 2 points ..the doubles team splits them if they win...
Lots of fun and good exercise!!
Interesting. When we have 3, we play 21. It's all singles with rotation every 2 points, but every person is in for 4 points at a time. Each person serves for 4 points, sits out 2, returns for 4, sits out 2, serves for 4, and so on. First to 21 points wins. Every two points, you switch something and end up playing a different opponent.

It looks like this: I return two versus Player A , then return two versus Player B, then sit out for two, then serve two vs player A, then serve two versus player B, then sit out for two, and so on.

I haven't played in 6 days. Still taking it a bit easy before fall leagues and clinics start. Might go serve a bucket of balls tonight. There are nice courts in my neighborhood.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Day 3. A bit better. Maybe more than a bit. The FH volley is gone and due to a new medical condition, can't really stretch for serving (hello, hernia). But overall, the strokes were better. Left my trainer flat footed with two BH crosscourts that were properly angled.
The hands are feeling better. Plus, it ended up being a perfect day: maybe 65°F, a bit cloudy, not too cold, not too hot.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm ...

I haven't played in 6 days. Still taking it a bit easy before fall leagues and clinics start. Might go serve a bucket of balls tonight. There are nice courts in my neighborhood.
We used to have one that was good. Then, the city re-surfaced it. WITH LITERAL STREET ASPHALT. You can wear a pair of shoes, and/or break and ankle, in one session. Therefore, no way I am playing there anymore.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm ...

We used to have one that was good. Then, the city re-surfaced it. WITH LITERAL STREET ASPHALT. You can wear a pair of shoes, and/or break and ankle, in one session. Therefore, no way I am playing there anymore.
What were they thinking? Just cheapskates?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The lousy major that we had decided that the court had to be open "to the people". So he had it resurfaced, but of course, this monkey knew nothing about tennis.
And he is the current president. You know, where I live.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:40 am There were only 3 of us at the court today, so we played 'tringles' - 2 against 1 .we play 3 games and then rotate..the player playing alone has to defend the singles court, the pair has to defend the entire court..everyone serves once..
I find this game very interesting tactically..when you are playing alone, against 2 players who are good volleyers, you need to get to the net right away! Scoring is- every game has 2 points ..the doubles team splits them if they win...
Lots of fun and good exercise!!
Interesting. When we have 3, we play 21. It's all singles with rotation every 2 points, but every person is in for 4 points at a time. Each person serves for 4 points, sits out 2, returns for 4, sits out 2, serves for 4, and so on. First to 21 points wins. Every two points, you switch something and end up playing a different opponent.

It looks like this: I return two versus Player A , then return two versus Player B, then sit out for two, then serve two vs player A, then serve two versus player B, then sit out for two, and so on.

Nice..but don't you cool off too much between turns? Our problem is we don't want to make anyone just sit and wait, if at all possible..
Also, it was about to rain any minute so ...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I hate it when people who have no athletic background and have no idea what they're doing make important decisions about sports.
Here, they completely tore down and rebuilt 3 separate tennis facilities. In the first one they did, they replaced 3 courts with 3 courts - though they could have fit 4 courts - and at the same time change the orientation so that the sun would not be setting in one player's eyes all the time. I communicated with them that they could have fit 4 courts in the area during the re-build, and that they really should AT THE VERY LEAST consult with people who know and understand a given sport BEFORE they change, build, or modify anything relating to the sport - and I offered myself as one such person.

The following year, they tore down and re-built another tennis area - this time replacing 4 courts with 5 courts... so perhaps my words had some influence.
They also tore down and re-built a third tennis area, replacing 4 courts with 4 courts - but that was all they could do with that one.
At all the re-built courts, they installed wonderful new LED lighting, which means it's now feasible to play at night and actually see the ball.

This year, they built us 6 new pickleball courts (from scratch). The surface is beautiful - 2 colours, and done with 'tennis court paint'. There is a 3 foot high metal fence separating the courts. The problem is that these short fences are only 3 feet from the extremities of the court. This is fine for beginner and maybe even intermediate level play... but at the advanced level, we're running around all over the place, and hitting shots around the post is not uncommon (pickleball is a game of angles). Now, though, with the fences in such close proximity, around the post shots are much more rare. And running into the fence is more common.

They just don't understand (or don't care) that it takes someone who knows and understands a given sport to be in on decisions about things like building new facilities. Otherwise, it's like having a plumber build a car.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

One ritual we have is to play for an hour, then stop for tea..these days the cook at the club is away so one of us has to bring the tea..today was my turn, got up at 430 to do my morning routine so I could get to the court by 615..we have the court till 8 am..perfect weather for tennis..!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sounds like fun.
But I could never play at that hour. I am not a morning person, so at that hour I have zero coordination. :)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm Sounds like fun.
But I could never play at that hour. I am not a morning person, so at that hour I have zero coordination. :)
Too hot rest of the day! And all working people..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Good training session today.
Got new balls, my now beloved Tretorn Pressureless Pro Control. Hard as rocks, but they give you a crisp feel. However, price has gone up again: around $7/ box of three. Then they wonder why Colombia cannot produce any proper tennis players (Osorio and Galan are the only two). This for a country with more population than Spain.
The BH was a bit off, maybe because of the new balls. Could not get consistent speed of the shot, and the slice was not biting. I was late with my stride into the ball. Something to work on on Friday.
Since I knew that I would be serving very poorly, simply decided to work on speed and loosening up the shoulder. So, I told my trainer that I would simply serve from my back, trying to put enough speed to fly the ball OUTSIDE his baseline. First serve landed in the service box, proof that I had no speed. A few minutes of this and I was able to get s bit more oomph, but I am still too slow on my backswing.
The blister in my hand had busted so by now it is dry, about to form a good, clean, nice callus.

Post by meganfernandez »

i was supposed to play today, but it was too windy. I hate playing in the wind, and this was supposed to be a fun hit, so I cancelled. Leagues start this weekend but they will be indoors until May, so there is no need to ruin my mood practicing in the wind.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:13 am i was supposed to play today, but it was too windy. I hate playing in the wind, and this was supposed to be a fun hit, so I cancelled. Leagues start this weekend but they will be indoors until May, so there is no need to ruin my mood practicing in the wind.
Those leagues are fun.
Get to meet new people etc ..I used to play the Volvo league in Virginia..
Only problem is I used to get calls from the Volvo team captain and my secy thought they were from the Volvo dealer .I had to reassure her I cannot afford a Volvo!

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:49 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:13 am i was supposed to play today, but it was too windy. I hate playing in the wind, and this was supposed to be a fun hit, so I cancelled. Leagues start this weekend but they will be indoors until May, so there is no need to ruin my mood practicing in the wind.
Those leagues are fun.
Get to meet new people etc ..I used to play the Volvo league in Virginia..
Only problem is I used to get calls from the Volvo team captain and my secy thought they were from the Volvo dealer .I had to reassure her I cannot afford a Volvo!
I play USTA leagues, and yes, I think they are fun. Some people get bent out of shape about the results, but overall it's a nice community. I captain a couple teams, and they aren't built to win. I want to play with friends and also create chances for people to play. Someone has to captain.