Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I say: indeed. Let's get rid of one gender.
Let's keep all women.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I had to run over to Shirleysburg this afternoon. It's about a 40-minute drive through some of the most pro-Trump country you'll ever see. People love putting political signs in their yards during election years. I've written here before about the Trump flags and signs that have been so prominent in this part of Pennsylvania.

Obviously, there wasn't a single Shapiro or Fetterman sign to be seen during that drive.

But there aren't very many Mastriano signs--certainly much fewer than in previous PA Governor elections. And there were only two--yes, TWO--Oz signs. That's appallingly low for this area given the political landscape and the Trump endorsement. The lack of enthusiasm for Oz is quite striking. And the lack of enthusiasm for Mastriano is only slightly less striking.

That said, both will still win this part of PA in a massive landslide. Because folks here will still vote AGAINST Shapiro and Fetterman at all costs. But there's a clear paucity of enthusiasm around both of the Republican candidates for Governor and U.S. Senator. And compared to previous elections, it's really noticeable.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Meanwhile, in reading about the latest Herschel Walker kerfuffle, I stumbled across his son, Christian Walker. That was... mindboggling.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:39 pm Meanwhile, in reading about the latest Herschel Walker kerfuffle, I stumbled across his son, Christian Walker. That was... mindboggling.
He's being accused of misleading some of Walker's backers by coming out with his true life story. It also appears that NONE of Walker's family is supporting him in this grift, uh, run for the Senate.

Herschel Walker’s Battle With His MAGA-Influencer Son, Explained
Who is Christian Walker and why did he just go nuclear on his father’s campaign for Georgia senator?
BY HEATHER SCHWEDEL
OCT 04, 20224:19 PM

If you didn’t know any better, you might think that Christian Walker, a 23-year-old who has nearly a million combined followers on TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram, was just another midlevel right-wing influencer, prone to front-facing camera diatribes about modern life. Or maybe you first heard of Walker this week when he denounced his father, Herschel Walker, the Republican former NFL star who is running against Democrat Raphael Warnock for one of Georgia’s Senate seats, after it broke that a former girlfriend of the candidate’s said he paid for her to get an abortion. Either way, the younger Walker has quickly become an unlikely supporting player in one of the most-watched election races in the country, if one whose sincerity is sometimes hard to measure. Here’s what to know about him.

Why is Christian Walker in the news?

After the Daily Beast reported that the “pro-life” Herschel Walker paid for a woman to abort a pregnancy that he and she conceived together in 2009, his son (with his ex-wife, Cindy DeAngelis Grossman) wrote on Twitter, “I know my mom and I would really appreciate if my father Herschel Walker stopped lying and making a mockery of us. You’re not a ‘family man’ when you left us to bang a bunch of women, threatened to kill us, and had us move over 6 times in 6 months running from your violence.”

Herschel Walker, who has supported a ban on abortion with no exceptions, even for rape, has denied the report. Christian Walker also said that he and other family members had urged Herschel Walker not to run for Senate, “because we all knew (some of) his past.”

He has since posted a pair of follow-up videos in which he has responded to those who have “attacked” him and questioned his “authenticity.”

Why would anyone question his authenticity?

There are a couple of reasons, but when it comes to this particular story, some critics have pointed out that, in December, he introduced his father at an early campaign event, posting a video of the two sharing a hug.

https://twitter.com/ChristianWalk1r?ref ... itter.html

Until recently, he also sold T-shirts that expressed support for his father’s campaign, though the merch reportedly did not actually financially benefit his father’s campaign.

Hm! Can we go back for a minute? Isn’t there a whole thing with Herschel Walker and secret children?

Yes. The candidate has publicly acknowledged Christian as his son throughout his campaign, but it came out in the months leading up to the election that he had three more children that he had not been publicly discussing. This is especially notable because the elder Walker has made a point of railing against the problem of “fatherless” homes—coincidentally also an issue that Christian Walker has weighed in on in his TikToks, and now Christian is saying that he speaks from personal experience.

How long has Christian been an influencer, and what are his videos like?

Walker has been prominent on social media, particularly TikTok, since 2020 or so, when he was a student at the University of California, Los Angeles, focusing on a familiar range of right-friendly topics, from “cancel culture” to election fraud. He gained a following as an up-and-coming conservative pundit mostly independently of his father, though Herschel Walker being a former Heisman Trophy winner who is also well-connected in the MAGA-verse must have played some role. In his videos, which frequently take place in his car in the Starbucks parking lot, Walker often seems like he must be doing satire, such is the extent of the drama he brings to his rants.

What do you mean his videos play like satire?

For a good example, see a recent one that started, “There’s a big elephant in the room and I’m just gonna to say it: I’m pissed about who they chose for Little Mermaid.”

Walker has also had a podcast, called Uncancellable, since last year. Some episode titles include: “COMMUNISM IS GHETTO,” “ITS ILLEGAL TO POOP ON THE STREET,” and “IF YOU OPPOSE ELON MUSK, YOU’RE A RACIST.”

So he’s a troll?

You might say so. On Twitter, Washington Post reporter Taylor Lorenz summarized Walker as “basically a Gen Z Milo [Yiannopoulos],” referring to the alt-right provocateur who it might actually be generous to call a troll. Last year, New York magazine described Walker and his place among conservatives thusly: “Walker cuts a rare figure: a gay Black man in Cartier and Gucci who also happens to be a two-time world-champion competitive cheerleader with a six-pack and perfectly plucked eyebrows.”

Hasn’t he said he isn’t gay, though?

Yup, he has bristled at being called the “G-word,” and this is another place where it can be hard to gauge his level of sincerity. While he is explicitly interested in men and frequently posts TikToks expounding on this interest, he also frequently says things like, “Do not put the G-word on me. I do not want to be lumped in with rainbow flags. … Just because I’m attracted to men doesn’t make me a G-word-er.” He has elsewhere claimed to be interested in men but not dating them. Walker seems to know this is a ridiculous stance to hold and has even parodied it by using audio of him talking about the “G-word” to accompany video footage of him being very excited about the “muscle men” at the Super Bowl.

Is there a quick rundown of some of his greatest hits and antics over the years?

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Help! I’m Typically the Only Man at My Work Happy Hours. I Think I Enjoy It Too Much.
What Elon Musk Might Really Be Up to With Twitter
My Clueless In-Laws Think Their Backyard Is Perfectly Safe for My Toddlers
Glad you asked. Walker got into an entertaining fight with pop star Kehlani at his favorite place, Starbucks, over the summer. She apparently warned the employees that he was being an asshole and losing his (expletive) over the store having rainbow flags, which he then confronted her about, claiming that she in fact was the asshole. She recognized that he was probably trying to get a reaction out of her to go viral, and it seemed to have worked. More recently, Walker used his experience of being raised in a “broken home” to excoriate a woman who claimed to be having an affair with Maroon 5’s Adam Levine, calling her a homewrecker. One of the first videos of his to receive widespread attention was from summer 2020, when he criticized Joe Biden’s statement that Black people who vote for Trump “ain’t Black.” That video is actually a good example of Walker’s tendency to occasionally make something resembling a good point, whether it’s about Biden’s presumptions about Blackness, the modern tendency to play the victim online, or his father’s hypocrisy. (Not about Kehlani, though—he was just being an asshole there.)

So even though he turned on his father, we shouldn’t welcome Christian Walker to the Resistance?

No, probably not.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/10/hersc ... itter.html

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Below is his pinned Tweet for his Twitter account.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If you've never watched Archer here's a peek at the kind of thing that goes on with that show. I thought about it when reading about Christian Walker.

Start at about 2m3s in

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Trying to process how things work and fit within Christian's brain is what I really have trouble with. He identifies as a "man who is attracted to men", which right there is a distinction from CDC's old and still prevalent categorization of "men who have sex with men". I don't think that's coincidental. So he actively scurries from anything gay, anything Pride, the LGBTQ flag, etc. Are we to presume that he is attracted to men but will not have sex with men because that's a sin? If so, how's that going. (None of which is really any of our business. But he goes out of his way to make it everyone's business.)

I respect his agency (his right to identify himself as he sees fit). And let's remember, he's only 23, so it's not like he's fully cooked yet.

Maybe the problem for me is that I have a pretty good grasp for what he's against. But I couldn't give you an example of anything he is... for.

Which begs the questions: What's real? What's garden variety cognitive dissonance? And what's a social media act to attract followers?

It's all just very confusing.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

One thing that puzzles me.
H. Walker is not a BAD candidate. It is more than that; the man is certifiably an idiot.
But, as that is America and, most importantly, Georgia, the focus is on his personal life, not the fact that this man truly holds unbelievable opinions.
I guess this is politics, today.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:19 pm One thing that puzzles me.
H. Walker is not a BAD candidate. It is more than that; the man is certifiably an idiot.
But, as that is America and, most importantly, Georgia, the focus is on his personal life, not the fact that this man truly holds unbelievable opinions.
Have you not been paying attention, ponchi? (And I know you have.) 30-35% of the U.S. population (larger percentages in Georgia) threw out personal life in 2016--because of Hillary and her emails. What matters most to that segment of the population are the candidates' beliefs: 1) abortion; 2) religious liberty; 3) unchecked 2nd amendment; 4) freedumb (a direct conflict with #1 and #2); 5) making sure racial and ethnic minority votes are not counted; 6) white fragility; 7) small government; 8) stacking the Supreme Court and lower circuits with extremely conservative judges... Just to name a few.

Of course, the order is debatable.

They don't care that Herschel emotionally and physically abused women, slept around, and spread his seed farther than an Iowa farmer. They haven't cared about any of those things since 2016 or so. That segment of the U.S. population only cares about what his votes on key legislation will deliver to them.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:55 pm Trying to process how things work and fit within Christian's brain is what I really have trouble with. He identifies as a "man who is attracted to men", which right there is a distinction from CDC's old and still prevalent categorization of "men who have sex with men". I don't think that's coincidental. So he actively scurries from anything gay, anything Pride, the LGBTQ flag, etc. Are we to presume that he is attracted to men but will not have sex with men because that's a sin? If so, how's that going. (None of which is really any of our business. But he goes out of his way to make it everyone's business.)

I respect his agency (his right to identify himself as he sees fit). And let's remember, he's only 23, so it's not like he's fully cooked yet.

Maybe the problem for me is that I have a pretty good grasp for what he's against. But I couldn't give you an example of anything he is... for.

Which begs the questions: What's real? What's garden variety cognitive dissonance? And what's a social media act to attract followers?

Maybe it's confusing to us because we don't buy into the performative nature of RW politics? The young man puts on a good show and in the videos where he's "vehemently denouncing" his father he's presenting quite a persona. Did someone not pay him or cut him off from his source of money so now he's annoyed?

Nothing is real with them.

And Ponchi is right. Walker pere is a complete idiot.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:07 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:19 pm One thing that puzzles me.
Have you not been paying attention, ponchi? (And I know you have.) 30-35% of the U.S. population (larger percentages in Georgia) threw out personal life in 2016--because of Hillary and her emails. What matters most to that segment of the population are the candidates' beliefs: 1) abortion; 2) religious liberty; 3) unchecked 2nd amendment; 4) freedumb (a direct conflict with #1 and #2); 5) making sure racial and ethnic minority votes are not counted; 6) white fragility; 7) small government; 8) stacking the Supreme Court and lower circuits with extremely conservative judges... Just to name a few.

Of course, the order is debatable.

They don't care that Herschel emotionally and physically abused women, slept around, and spread his seed farther than an Iowa farmer. They haven't cared about any of those things since 2016 or so. That segment of the U.S. population only cares about what his votes on key legislation will deliver to them.
I did say it puzzles me, didn't I? ;)
It is insane, I know. I maybe, maybe, would shift some of your points (2nd amendment comes before religious freedom, maybe) but... I am puzzled.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Accept perpetually puzzled status, ponchi, and don't bother trying to figure it out. There's not much reason to it. Keep your brain cells.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:55 pm Trying to process how things work and fit within Christian's brain is what I really have trouble with. He identifies as a "man who is attracted to men", which right there is a distinction from CDC's old and still prevalent categorization of "men who have sex with men". I don't think that's coincidental. So he actively scurries from anything gay, anything Pride, the LGBTQ flag, etc. Are we to presume that he is attracted to men but will not have sex with men because that's a sin? If so, how's that going. (None of which is really any of our business. But he goes out of his way to make it everyone's business.)

And how do you communicate with them in some kind of meaningful way?