Balls...

Talk about your racquets, your strings, shoes and yes, your balls.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Balls...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 pm The Triniti's will catch on very soon, and the rest of the manufacturers will follow. It is a win-win for everybody.
According to the video some of the players and manufacturers have really liked how the balls have performed. I know I am going to support them.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It must be noted that, while an improvement, the Wilson Triniti balls are not an ultimate solution. Eventually, they find their way into landfills, too - it just maybe takes a little longer for them to get there.

To me, this (link below) is a much better and obviously more sustainable - solution, though more difficult to implement...

https://www.tennisballrecycling.com

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:18 am It must be noted that, while an improvement, the Wilson Triniti balls are not an ultimate solution. Eventually, they find their way into landfills, too - it just maybe takes a little longer for them to get there.

To me, this (link below) is a much better and obviously more sustainable - solution, though more difficult to implement...

https://www.tennisballrecycling.com

I love this idea. This is the type of job I need after I graduate from college with my degree in Environmental Sciences.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:53 pm ...

I love this idea. This is the type of job I need after I graduate from college with my degree in Environmental Sciences.
If I may.
My undergraduate is Environmental Technology. Don't go there; you are basically lab personnel.
Environmental Sciences: A bit better, but you will be studying problems and measuring environmental issues. You will be the person saying "Oh, we have this problem HERE, and it is caused by this and that, and it will eventually lead to THIS OTHER PROBLEM". A fine area of sciences, highly multidisciplinary, but...
If you want to find solutions, it is ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. And, the way things are going, we will need GEO ENGINEERING very, very soon. Even if we were to cut down on all emissions TOMORROW, there are already enough CC gases in the atmosphere to keep up a warming trend for decades. The Environmental Engineer is the guy/gal that will find new technologies for more sustainable buildings, better managed landfills, produce the systems and the machinery to recycle more efficiently.
Just saying. But any of the last two choices are fine careers. For sciences, you will need a Masters later on, most likely a PhD.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:32 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:53 pm ...

If I may.
My undergraduate is Environmental Technology. Don't go there; you are basically lab personnel.
Environmental Sciences: A bit better, but you will be studying problems and measuring environmental issues. You will be the person saying "Oh, we have this problem HERE, and it is caused by this and that, and it will eventually lead to THIS OTHER PROBLEM". A fine area of sciences, highly multidisciplinary, but...
If you want to find solutions, it is ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. And, the way things are going, we will need GEO ENGINEERING very, very soon. Even if we were to cut down on all emissions TOMORROW, there are already enough CC gases in the atmosphere to keep up a warming trend for decades. The Environmental Engineer is the guy/gal that will find new technologies for more sustainable buildings, better managed landfills, produce the systems and the machinery to recycle more efficiently.
Just saying. But any of the last two choices are fine careers. For sciences, you will need a Masters later on, most likely a PhD.
I am also looking into schools for Environmental Engineering as well for sure.
AcesAnnie United States of America

Post by AcesAnnie »

Reading through some of this thread has really got me thinking a lot more about my selection of tennis balls. To be honest when I go to the court, I don't really think much about the tennis balls I am going to be hitting with. I am nothing more than a novice player, so some that are round, have felt on it, and bounce good works for me. It can be a mixed match set of balls and doesn't have to be a brand new can of balls.

Reading this information about the environment and the tennis balls has got me thinking maybe it is time to change things up a bit for me when I go to the court.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Balls... Wilson Triniti's

Post by ponchi101 »

Because of my elbow problem, today I switched from by beloved but hard-as-rocks Tretorns to Wilson Triniti's.
First, they are a pressure-less ball, so if you don't like the feel of them, these ones are still in that category. They are good for my altitude (2,600 Mts OSL) so in that aspect, they made no difference.
The good thing is that they don't seem to be much different from regular Wilsons. They are light, and much lighter than the Tretorn's (then again, few balls are as heavy as them). They feel very much like my memory of Wilson US Open, and are compact.
The main issue, which was to hit with a softer ball, was accomplished. They feel light, fly well through the air and it is easy to generate speed with them. I am a bit iffy about the felt, though; the shot is after just one hour of play, and I bought two boxes, so there were 6 balls. It has always been my peeve with WIlsons and Penn/Heads; they lose the felt quickly.
They were not particularly more expensive then the other balls. One box came at about $7, but that is here in Colombia, where things are so expensive.
Overall, they are good.
Triniti.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I have read that the Trinitis are pressureless, and I've read that they are not pressureless, but that they have less pressure than regular balls, and have a thicker wall, which results in less leaks of the pressure.
In the end, though, whether they have pressure or are pressureless, it's the feel and duration that count the most, I suppose.

They apparently have some new kind of felt that is supposedly also thicker than regular felt. Thicker doesn't necessarily mean longer lasting, though.

It's odd that you're saying that the balls (not just the Trinitis, but other balls, as well) are losing the felt quickly, given that you play on clay, where regular duty felt is most often used because the felt lasts longer on clay than on hard courts, which is what extra duty felt is made for.

In terms of the environmental benefits, which Wilson is typically using to over-market the ball... sure, it's an improvement over regular balls if it does actually last longer - but to call it 'sustainable' is overkill. These balls still end up in the garbage and in landfills, where they take decades - or centuries - to decompose.

Here is Wilson's blurb on the details of the Triniti... (their 'excitement' about the packaging is rather ridiculous, as it's simply thin cardboard - hardly a ground-breaking innovation)...

https://www.wilson.com/en-gb/explore/la ... is/triniti

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Ainsley United States of America

Post by Ainsley »

Most of the time I use the Wilson US Open tennis balls.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I will put these here because it is directly tied to balls.

'Super fluffy' tennis balls are causing injuries fear leading players

Gist. The balls are too heavy and become too fluffy after just a few games. In Medvedev's opinion, you can't hit a winner when the balls are at the end of their 9 game cycle.
He is talking about the Dunlops, which I really, really like (they are the same as the Slazengers).

So, in this case, not the courts. It is the balls.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

So is it that the balls get too 'fluffy', or that they lose pressure?
Nadal and Murray are complaining about the balls losing pressure and feeling dead, and mention nothing about the 'fluffiness'... but Medvedev isn't talking about the loss of pressure, he's complaining only that the balls get too 'fluffy'.

Whatever the problem is, it seems clear that the Dunlop balls are of lower quality than they used to be. This is perhaps (likely, I'd say) because Dunlop has found a way to manufacture their balls using even cheaper labour than before - which would be a shame, of course.

I played with Dunlop balls once last summer - the guy I played against brought them. I didn't like them at all. They felt dead right out of the can, like dollar store balls. I don't know which type of Dunlop balls they were - every company makes about 10 different kinds of balls of various qualities these days, unfortunately.

Also, I don't think Henman's theory of blaming the chair umpires for starting the serve clock too late holds water. The serve clock is a new thing, and, with the exception of matches involving certain players - like Nadal -, players weren't complaining that matches were taking too long before the serve clock came into existence.

While on the subject of balls... you said that you recently switched away from the Tretorn pressureless balls (because of arm/elbow problems, I believe), and you were trying the Wilson Triniti balls. Have you liked the Trinitis? How have you found them to play, compared with the Tretorns?
Last edited by Deuce on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I really liked the Triniti. They are very hard, but are lighter than the Tretorns. The felt held for considerable time, and I did not notice a loss of performance that was not the expected kind once the balls got a bit old.
If you like control, I felt they gave me enough and at the same time, I was able to make them move. They felt like Wilson US Opens, with a bit longer lasting shelf life.
I would not hesitate to recommend them, especially for people that play attacking tennis.
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

I was actually surprised at the performance of the Triniti tennis balls. They had a great feel to them when hitting with them and were quite flexible. The felt was pretty durable and lasted a good long time. The best thing about these tennis balls though was the packaging. 100% fully recyclable packaging.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Balls... Tretorn's Z

Post by ponchi101 »

I bought two boxes of a new ball by Tretorn. They are called Z's (as in, ZOMBIE) and are certainly an answer to the Wilson Trinitis.
They are on the soft side and are a good rally ball. A bit heavy but I did not feel them being rough on my elbow. They seem to be a good ball to keep in play and are especially good for practicing. I suspect that if you like to hit winners, this ball is not for you; it takes some considerable power to get them going but, if your aim is to get plenty of exercise by engaging on long rallies, they should do nicely.
The felt is soft and thick, so it may last long enough. After one hour of playing on clay, they show little wear. I suppose they will be good for about 4 outings.

Overall, a good ball from Tretorn. Of course, they are pressure-less, so they suit Bogota's altitude. At lower elevations, who know how fast they can travel.
Tretorn_balls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Wow every fake TAT member sure had a lot to say about tennis balls…