Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
Deuce Canada

Re: Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:09 pm
Interesting that Canada is not participating. I'm glad, as I view this as just another gimmick designed to bring in money.

What on Earth are the criteria for qualifying? I mean, Canada's players are certainly stronger than the players of some of the countries who have 'qualified'.
Perhaps kissing certain people's ass is a significant part of the 'qualification' process, and the Canadians have simply refused to do it...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

No way ass kissing is part of doing business in tennis.

/s
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Hadn't even noticed..the Davis Cup is on..too much for my head to handle right now

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And, of course, not being shown anywhere here.
Hard to be enthusiastic about it this way.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

Deuce wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:02 pm Interesting that Canada is not participating. I'm glad, as I view this as just another gimmick designed to bring in money.

What on Earth are the criteria for qualifying? I mean, Canada's players are certainly stronger than the players of some of the countries who have 'qualified'.
Perhaps kissing certain people's ass is a significant part of the 'qualification' process, and the Canadians have simply refused to do it...
The criteria are that you need to have players sign up for the tournament. None of the top Canadian men had signed up. That seems very odd, as Canada did so well at the ATP Cup (which this is replacing) this year.

What is the problem with "bringing in money"? Do you think the players should still be amateurs, playing for the love of the game? And this tournament is a great replacement for the totally unnecessary ATP Cup, which essentially duplicated the Davis Cup finals two months later, and the former Hopman Cup. An opportunity for men and women to play together as teams should be celebrated, not scorned.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

martini4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:52 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:02 pm Interesting that Canada is not participating. I'm glad, as I view this as just another gimmick designed to bring in money.

The criteria are that you need to have players sign up for the tournament. None of the top Canadian men had signed up. That seems very odd, as Canada did so well at the ATP Cup (which this is replacing) this year.

What is the problem with "bringing in money"? Do you think the players should still be amateurs, playing for the love of the game? And this tournament is a great replacement for the totally unnecessary ATP Cup, which essentially duplicated the Davis Cup finals two months later, and the former Hopman Cup. An opportunity for men and women to play together as teams should be celebrated, not scorned.
No, thanks.
It's just another B.S. gimmick.

The problem with 'bringing in money' is that when that is by far the primary purpose of doing something, it's ridiculously selfish. It brings money in for the administrators of tennis and the players, all of whom have far more than enough money already. It simply adds to the problem of the rich getting richer (which, of course, is directly related to the poor getting poorer).

I maintain that when money is the primary motivating factor for anything, there is a serious problem.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:02 pm
The powers that be have been screwing with the format and rules of Davis Cup for a while - trying to ruin it completely... and it seems, based on this ^ footage that they've now instituted a rule that players are not permitted to come within 30 feet of the net.
Both players had numerous opportunities to go to the net in that point...
Sigh...
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

23 November 2022

DAY TWO RESULTS

Croatia defeated Spain 2-0

Quarter-final – Palacio de Deportes Jose Maria Martin Carpena, Malaga, Spain

Borna Coric (CRO) d. Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) 6-4 7-6(4)

Marin Cilic (CRO) d. Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) 5-7 6-3 7-6(5)

Nikola Mektic/Mate Pavic (CRO) v Pablo Carreno Busta/Marcel Granollers (ESP) – not played

DAY THREE SCHEDULE

Quarter-finals – Palacio de Deportes Jose Maria Martin Carpena, Malaga, Spain

1000 CET/0900 GMT – Italy v USA

Not before 1600 CET/1500 GMT – Germany v Canada

The players representing each team will be announced one hour prior to the scheduled start of each tie.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

QF are US vs Italy and Germany vs Canada..Croatia and Australia are through yesterday..
At least Cilic seems to care enough to play...no other major champion did..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Hard to see Germany beating Canada but we saw a strange dynamic at the BJK..those who had underperformed at the YEC seemed depressed and unmotivated..maybe US will win after all..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

martini4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:52 pm

Huh? Canada is in the Qfs, playing Germany next
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

US is struggling...Tiafoe beaten by Sonego, Fritz leveled by beating Musetti...US playing Sock and Paul in doubles, now crucial ...hope they are regretting dropping Ram! Can't imagine what the calculation must have been..?