Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I got off the socials a couple years ago after being a prolific Facebook/Instagram poster. I know where to find the non/less opinionated information I seek now. I don't miss it, though sometimes feel I'm not part of something current happening, which is easy enough to live with. I think Elon believes the hype about himself not realizing it's just hype.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

His companies that are doing well are hard-physics companies: Tesla and Space X. That is mechanical and hardware.
TWT is software; it is algorithms, project-planning and AI. And it seems that is not something he is adept at. Remember he has been promising Tesla Self Driving for a while now, and has not been able to deliver.
(It is a very tough problem, one has to admit).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:58 am His companies that are doing well are hard-physics companies: Tesla and Space X. That is mechanical and hardware.
TWT is software; it is algorithms, project-planning and AI. And it seems that is not something he is adept at. Remember he has been promising Tesla Self Driving for a while now, and has not been able to deliver.
(It is a very tough problem, one has to admit).
It's a hard thing for the egomaniacs to stick with what they know. Unfortunately, they come to believe they know everything.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

His initial wealth comes from Paypal. He was not the only boss there, though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would say Pay Pal is a much "simpler" platform than TWT. It is a transactional tool, with no complications like censoring, moderating and all the complexities of SM.
It is just YOU PAY or YOU DID NOT PAY.
TWT is very complex, and certainly much more controversial than PP.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

thrunched @thrunched
Replying to
@TwitterSafety
Flight locations are publicly available information. Are those an exception?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is what got under Elmo's skin.

And the situation now is...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This just in...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by Owendonovan »

I don't buy into the idea of twitter being necessary.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

NOTHING in the internet is necessary, as in INDISPENSABLE. It is CONVENIENT. Physical banks worked well before, regular mail was available, newspapers did the job, and if you needed information, books were available at the bookstore or the local library.
Travel agents worked well, and if you needed friends, well, you had to go out and mingle; it was good for your mental health.
A ridiculous thing to post in an INTERNET BASED BOARD, but what am I going to do? Send you letters? ;)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes...
I learned a long time ago that human beings will abuse absolutely everything they come into contact with - thus turning positives into negatives very quickly. Television could have been a wonderful education tool... but instead, it became the 'idiot box'... It's the same with the internet, which, through abuse of it, has, among other things, quite negatively affected true communication between people.
Whereas it used to be two people communicating with each other, it is now one alter-ego communicating with your alias, and my machine communicating with your machine.
Communication is much, much less personal and much more superficial than it was pre-internet. And that has significantly affected how we relate to one another; it has negatively affected relationships of all kinds.

"Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end... We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas, but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate. Either is in such a predicament as the man who was earnest to be introduced to a distinguished deaf woman, but when he was presented, and one end of her ear trumpet was put into his hand, had nothing to say. As if the main object were to talk fast and not to talk sensibly. We are eager to tunnel under the Atlantic and bring the Old World some weeks nearer to the new, but perchance the first news that will leak through into the broad, flapping American ear will be that the Princess Adelaide has the whooping cough. After all, the man whose horse trots a mile in a minute does not carry the most important messages..." - Henry Thoreau
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »