With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:09 pm ...

I'm planning a press conference to announce my last two Around The World trades. Hope everyone can attend.

Speaking or Rodgers, I need a new Packers jersey... getting hard to wear my Rodgers or Favre jerseys and not feel icky about it. Maybe I'll reveal a new one at my press conference!
That cracked me up. :thumbsup:
But, sorry. Won't be able to make it. Will be pulling my hair off thinking about my trades ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:06 pm Serious pondering here.
Notice this strange pattern. You are an antivaxxer. Yet, you claim you are not; you a simply "doing your own research". You hold strange ideas: energy mines in Serbia, experimentation with powerful hallucinogens drugs, the earth is flat. And you, therefore, can't stay away from controversy.
And, as you point out, there is this constant demand for attention, despite the fact that you are, indeed, very, very good at what you do.
Novak, Aaron, Kyrie. It seems like a pattern, something worthy of more research (or, maybe the research is there, and I have no idea).
Am I missing somebody? (Again, I am being serious).

You are going to play an ATP 500. Tweet could have done it.
(How big is the tear in his OTHER hamstring this time?)
It's not a pattern. It's a world view. And in Novak's case, he's the center of the world. He thinks that way because he was conditioned to think that way at a very young age. The entire family revolved around him. And because of his talent, that world view was easily and continuously fed, particularly within Serbian circles.

And because of that world view, it is thoroughly mystifying to him why it doesn't always and automatically extend to realms outside of his family, country, and tennis in general. Like a Biblical text, nothing about him should be questioned. He's above such nonsense.

He is, essentially, a human god. That's the default of his world view. And hence, the presser. His default is that the world was anxiously awaiting on pins and needles to know if he was playing or not.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

^ Makes sense... but I think that applies to many - if not most - 'famous' folk. Especially since the internet has made 'fame' much more rapid and far reaching than ever before.
Of course, not everyone's ego inflates to a huge degree - but most 'famous' people have rather large egos, and feel very entitled. More and more, they are treated as demi-gods everywhere they go - and when they are not treated as such, they are confused and object.

Lastly - the question is whether this 'world view' is flat or round... :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:30 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:06 pm Serious pondering here.
Notice this strange pattern. You are an antivaxxer. Yet, you claim you are not; you a simply "doing your own research". You hold strange ideas: energy mines in Serbia, experimentation with powerful hallucinogens drugs, the earth is flat. And you, therefore, can't stay away from controversy.
And, as you point out, there is this constant demand for attention, despite the fact that you are, indeed, very, very good at what you do.
Novak, Aaron, Kyrie. It seems like a pattern, something worthy of more research (or, maybe the research is there, and I have no idea).
Am I missing somebody? (Again, I am being serious).

You are going to play an ATP 500. Tweet could have done it.
(How big is the tear in his OTHER hamstring this time?)
It's not a pattern. It's a world view. And in Novak's case, he's the center of the world. He thinks that way because he was conditioned to think that way at a very young age. The entire family revolved around him. And because of his talent, that world view was easily and continuously fed, particularly within Serbian circles.

And because of that world view, it is thoroughly mystifying to him why it doesn't always and automatically extend to realms outside of his family, country, and tennis in general. Like a Biblical text, nothing about him should be questioned. He's above such nonsense.

He is, essentially, a human god. That's the default of his world view. And hence, the presser. His default is that the world was anxiously awaiting on pins and needles to know if he was playing or not.
And continues to, their shameless groveling over him is nauseating.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:04 pm
Yes... Danielle Collins and Taylor Fritz are also onboard with 'Waterdrop' (I posted about this a month or two ago).
It looks like a good initiative. I hate seeing the many plastic bottles that are used each match - hell, if I can bring a REUSABLE water bottle or two to the courts when I play, I'm sure that pro players can do the same.

Recycling is better than things going in the garbage, obviously - but recycling is not pure - the process of recycling produces pollution. Eliminating unnecessary use of materials is much better than using and recycling.

Taylor Fritz and Danielle Collins Lead Way Into Plastic Free Tennis...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Title count of active WTA players. Minimum 2 titles, GS's in parenthesis if any. Current top 10 players in bold.

Petra Kvitova 29 (2)
Simona Halep 24 (2)
Victoria Azarenka 21 (2)
Karolína Plíšková 16
Iga Świątek 12 (3)
Aryna Sabalenka 12 (1)
Caroline Garcia 11
Garbiñe Muguruza 10 (2)
Sara Errani 9
Belinda Bencic 8
Sloane Stephens 7 (1)
Elise Mertens 7
Madison Keys, Daria Kasatkina, Anett Kontaveit, Alizé Cornet 6
Barbora Krejčíková 5 (1)
Jeļena Ostapenko 5 (1)
Sofia Kenin 5 (1)
Irina-Camelia Begu 5
Ludmilla Samsonova, Kaia Kanepi, Lesia Tsurenko, Heather Watson, Mona Barthel 4
Elena Rybakina 3 (1)
Bianca Andreescu 3 (1)
Ons Jabeur, Coco Gauff, Paula Badosa, Ekaterina Alexandrova, Shuai Zhang, Donna Vekić, Kateřina Siniaková, Alison Riske, Camila Giorgi, Anna Karolína Schmiedlová, Dayana Yastremska 3
Jessica Pegula, Beatriz Haddad Maia, Magda Linette, Petra Martić, Anastasia Potapova, Leylah Fernandez, Amanda Anisimova, Jil Teichmann, Danielle Collins, Yulia Putintseva, Lauren Davis, Sorana Cîrstea, Tatjana Maria, Laura Siegemund, Clara Tauson, Nao Hibino 2

So to summarize there are 54 multi title winners on tour. 13 GS winners, from those 5 with more than one.

To be updated after this week and maybe in the future too. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:04 pm
Murray, so frequently ahead of the pack, brings his water in regular plastic bottles, which he refills.

Heck, dumb idiots like me take our own water jugs. It is not that complicated.
And: you want some change? Stop having your "re-strung-but-never-used-because-I-won-my-match-0&1" racquet sent to you in plastic wrapping. That would be a better thing to do (they all have the 10 racquet bags).
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

i'd probably include Osaka on the list, since the WTA doesn't consider her inactive...7 (4)

It's shocking to me that Jabeur and Pegula can be ranked so high with so few titles. Sakkari, too, I guess. I guess it's a function of Iga's points grab and their own very consistent performances.
Suliso wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:01 am Title count of active WTA players. Minimum 2 titles, GS's in parenthesis if any. Current top 10 players in bold.

Petra Kvitova 29 (2)
Simona Halep 24 (2)
Victoria Azarenka 21 (2)
Karolína Plíšková 16
Iga Świątek 12 (3)
Aryna Sabalenka 12 (1)
Caroline Garcia 11
Garbiñe Muguruza 10 (2)
Sara Errani 9
Belinda Bencic 8
Sloane Stephens 7 (1)
Elise Mertens 7
Madison Keys, Daria Kasatkina, Anett Kontaveit, Alizé Cornet 6
Barbora Krejčíková 5 (1)
Jeļena Ostapenko 5 (1)
Sofia Kenin 5 (1)
Irina-Camelia Begu 5
Ludmilla Samsonova, Kaia Kanepi, Lesia Tsurenko, Heather Watson, Mona Barthel 4
Elena Rybakina 3 (1)
Bianca Andreescu 3 (1)
Ons Jabeur, Coco Gauff, Paula Badosa, Ekaterina Alexandrova, Shuai Zhang, Donna Vekić, Kateřina Siniaková, Alison Riske, Camila Giorgi, Anna Karolína Schmiedlová, Dayana Yastremska 3
Jessica Pegula, Beatriz Haddad Maia, Magda Linette, Petra Martić, Anastasia Potapova, Leylah Fernandez, Amanda Anisimova, Jil Teichmann, Danielle Collins, Yulia Putintseva, Lauren Davis, Sorana Cîrstea, Tatjana Maria, Laura Siegemund, Clara Tauson, Nao Hibino 2

So to summarize there are 54 multi title winners on tour. 13 GS winners, from those 5 with more than one.

To be updated after this week and maybe in the future too. :)
Ainsley United States of America

Post by Ainsley »

Not really sure where this would go. The other night I was watching Alycia Parks play Mexico's Contreras Gomez in Merida and I noticed something right from the moment Alycia Parks walked onto the court. Her body language was just awful. It looked like she didn't want to be there or it looked like she was just in a huge fight with her best friend. I get it that she was not getting much support from the fans in Mexico, but her attitude was awful in my opinion.

I am an American and typically I would cheer for the American players in these sorts of matches, but I found myself cheering for Contreras Gomez in the match. There were net court winners by Parks that she would not acknowledge. I understand that players don't have to raise their hands on that sort of thing, but most do. It just seemed like she woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not saying a player has to be all cheerful and bubbly during a match, but on this night Alycia Parks was just off. I am not sure how she acted in her loss to Rebecca Peterson in the next match.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:36 am Not really sure where this would go. The other night I was watching Alycia Parks play Mexico's Contreras Gomez in Merida and I noticed something right from the moment Alycia Parks walked onto the court. Her body language was just awful. It looked like she didn't want to be there or it looked like she was just in a huge fight with her best friend. I get it that she was not getting much support from the fans in Mexico, but her attitude was awful in my opinion.

I am an American and typically I would cheer for the American players in these sorts of matches, but I found myself cheering for Contreras Gomez in the match. There were net court winners by Parks that she would not acknowledge. I understand that players don't have to raise their hands on that sort of thing, but most do. It just seemed like she woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not saying a player has to be all cheerful and bubbly during a match, but on this night Alycia Parks was just off. I am not sure how she acted in her loss to Rebecca Peterson in the next match.
I agree. I saw most of the match you refer to, as well, and I didn’t like Parks’ attitude, either. She was even terse with the ball kids a couple of times when she felt they didn’t give her the balls quickly enough.
To me, it looked like she was comporting herself like a very arrogant #1 player in the world. But she’s not close to #1, of course (and even if she was, there is no excuse for arrogance).

But then in the post match on-court interview, she seemed rather shy - which was odd. She went from appearing way over-confident during the match to appearing to be under-confident in the interview.

In terms of her tennis ability... I haven’t watched her much, but in the match vs. Contreras Gomez that you refer to, and which I saw most of, Parks did not impress me. She made a lot of very unforced errors on routine shots.

Parks has a history of questionable on-court behaviour. In the video clip below from 2019, she gets into a shoving match with Katherine Sebov after Sebov beat her. Parks said she didn’t like the way that Sebov shook her hand. Maybe Sebov didn’t like Parks’ pissy attitude throughout the match.
Parks also complained that Sebov was celebrating winning points too much (saying “come on!”, etc.) - but I’ve seen Parks do the very same thing herself (including this week).

For the record, I’ve seen Sebov play several times live, and I’ve never seen any questionable behaviour from her. I asked a linesman friend of mine, who has been on court for many of Sebov's matches, and he said he’s never seen her be a problem, either.

R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Ainsley »

Deuce wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:03 am
Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:36 am Not really sure where this would go. The other night I was watching Alycia Parks play Mexico's Contreras Gomez in Merida and I noticed something right from the moment Alycia Parks walked onto the court. Her body language was just awful. It looked like she didn't want to be there or it looked like she was just in a huge fight with her best friend. I get it that she was not getting much support from the fans in Mexico, but her attitude was awful in my opinion.

I agree. I saw most of the match you refer to, as well, and I didn’t like Parks’ attitude, either. She was even terse with the ball kids a couple of times when she felt they didn’t give her the balls quickly enough.
To me, it looked like she was comporting herself like a very arrogant #1 player in the world. But she’s not close to #1, of course (and even if she was, there is no excuse for arrogance).

But then in the post match on-court interview, she seemed rather shy - which was odd. She went from appearing way over-confident during the match to appearing to be under-confident in the interview.

In terms of her tennis ability... I haven’t watched her much, but in the match vs. Contreras Gomez that you refer to, and which I saw most of, Parks did not impress me. She made a lot of very unforced errors on routine shots.

Parks has a history of questionable on-court behaviour. In the video clip below from 2019, she gets into a shoving match with Katherine Sebov after Sebov beat her. Parks said she didn’t like the way that Sebov shook her hand. Maybe Sebov didn’t like Parks’ pissy attitude throughout the match.
Parks also complained that Sebov was celebrating winning points too much (saying “come on!”, etc.) - but I’ve seen Parks do the very same thing herself (including this week).

For the record, I’ve seen Sebov play several times live, and I’ve never seen any questionable behaviour from her. I asked a linesman friend of mine, who has been on court for many of Sebov's matches, and he said he’s never seen her be a problem, either.

I am glad someone else noticed it. It did seem like she was coming off as arrogant. If she thinks she can come onto the tour and win solely on her ability to serve bombs she has another thing coming. She was so late in preparing for most of her backhand shots it was ridiculous. The result was obviously clear with the amount of unforced errors she hit in the match. I didn't see her next match in which she lost to Rebecca Peterson, but I imagine it was more unforced errors. Once she steps on the court against the top players she is going to be blown off the court and hopefully that will be an attitude adjustment for her. I do think she has talent, but she also has a lot of work that needs to be done.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Oh?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The list is the list of wins by Iga, who obviously has only lost twice to Krejcikova.
About Barbora being an automatic HOF. Not yet. I think.

Post by Ainsley »

Krejcikova definitely has the game to become a Hall of Famer. The key for her now as she is entering the prime of her career in consistency. She needs to stay at a top level of her game and she will make it.