The World of Style & Entertainment

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by ti-amie »

Sigh. There's a big mess going on around Alec Baldwin and his wife. It turns out she's been perpetrating a fraud/grifting for about ten years claiming to be from Mallorca. The thread below blew her out of the water.

Alec went along with this (how could he not know?) so I'm guessing she wanted a reality show or something. Whoever invented those things needs to be thrown into jail.
elena ilana alana alina elana (not) @lenibriscoe
You have to admire Hilaria Baldwin’s commitment to her decade long grift where she impersonates a Spanish person
1:56 PM · Dec 21, 2020 from Queens, NY

(...)
There is video of her faking her accent that I'm not posting but is available on Twitter.

From a review of her podcast. This woman also claimed to have moved to the United States because she wanted to go to NYU.

Hilary’s Google results say she was born to a Spanish mother and yet here we have her very American sounding mother talking about growing up in Massachusetts and Hilary’s grandfather was a college professor in the 1960s in Longmeadow...

And no she is not Spanish on her father’s side either here is the obituary of her grandfather - her paternal family has been in the United States since it was a British colony

Here is her grandfather's obituary.
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/benni ... =195863246

(...)

But her native language is most certainly English because here is her mother’s bio which notes that she graduated from BU medical school in 1986 and then had a 20 year career in MA
Hilaria/Hilary was born in 1984 - mom would have been in medical school IN BOSTON

Hilaria (née Hilary) has children with the following names:

Carmen Gabriela
Rafael Thomas*
Leonardo Ángel David
Romeo Alejandro
Eduardo Pau Lucas

Thomas is her maiden name otherwise she probably would have gone with Tomás I’m surprised she didn’t

(...)

Her CAA bio notes that she grew up in Boston. Was she even born in Spain? What medical student has time to go to Spain to give birth?! https://caa.com/caaspeakers/hilaria-baldwin

(...)

Here is a link to Hilaria/Hilary’s mother’s CV which has her graduating medical school in Boston in 1986 which means she likely started medical school in 1982. Again, Hilaria was born in 1984, meaning she was born while her mom was in med school IN BOSTON.

Dr. Hayward’s CV also indicates she practiced medicine in Massachusetts from 1986 until 2012 so when exactly did Hilaria “grow up in Spain”
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Re: The World of Entertainment

Post by ti-amie »

Apparently Hillary ticked off Amy Schumer and that resulted in her "secret" being revealed.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Country music’s pandemic year: Frustration, backlash and a sad ending

By
Emily Yahr
Dec. 28, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. EST

In the hours after country music legend Charley Pride died of covid-19 complications on Dec. 12, fans were devastated. And then they started asking questions.

About a month earlier, the 86-year-old singer attended the Country Music Association Awards, where he received a lifetime achievement award. But many viewers were shocked to see the ceremony taking place indoors, in front of nearly 100 people, the majority of whom were not wearing masks on camera. Following the news of Pride’s death, a flood of social media posts — including some from high-profile country stars — wondered whether his attendance or travel from his home in Texas to the show in Nashville led to his illness.

It is unclear where and when Pride contracted the coronavirus. The CMA released a statement saying that it “followed strict testing protocols outlined by the city health department and union” and that Pride — whose family said he was hospitalized in late November — tested negative before coming to the show, again upon landing in Nashville, and multiple times when he got home. Pride’s manager Kevin Bailey echoed this to the Dallas Morning News and praised the CMA for “taking every precaution,” and added that anyone saying otherwise is “crusading to stir up some mud.”

Pride’s publicist did not respond to multiple requests for additional details, and when reached by phone, Bailey declined to discuss the topic. A CMA spokeswoman said: “Out of respect for his family, we do not have further comment.”

And yet it’s hard to imagine country music’s year in the pandemic ending on a worse note. The genre has made a slew of unflattering headlines over the past 10 months, from Chase Rice’s not-socially-distanced summer concert to Morgan Wallen being dropped as the “Saturday Night Live” musical guest after violating the show’s coronavirus protocols. Then there was the strange tone of the CMA Awards, the format’s biggest night in the national spotlight to celebrate music known for capturing real life and “three chords and the truth,” trying to project an image of cheerful normalcy in a tragedy-filled year.

It’s a lightning-rod topic that almost no one wants to talk about publicly — but behind the scenes in Nashville, according to industry veterans, it’s a subject nearly everyone has talked about. One common term used to describe these types of incidents is “tone deaf”; there’s anger, fear and a lot of questions. Among the questions that come up among people in the industry: Given that nearly every other awards show went largely virtual this year, why did the CMA Awards have to be in person, especially with virus cases spiking in Tennessee? Why do country stars keep showing up on social media attending maskless indoor gatherings or traveling? What message is it sending to their fans?

“I think the thing that angers me the most is they’re purporting to represent a working-class art form . . . but what I see is nothing but ‘me, me, me,’ ” said roots musician Rhiannon Giddens, who tweeted about her grief and frustration after Pride’s death. “It just hits me so hard. The excesses of the commercial country music industry are not my thing, and that’s fine — but this year, it’s just really hard to see all of that.”

While country stars are hardly the only celebrities to use their wealth and resources to host events and travel (the Kardashians and their private island, anyone?), they have received their share of criticism for pandemic activities. Cole Swindell recently posted an Instagram photo of a group of Nashville singers including Wallen, Kenny Chesney, Luke Combs and Jake Owen (and, for some reason, NFL quarterback Peyton Manning) with their arms around each other at a bar. While it mostly earned delighted reactions, the comments were also peppered with "Come on boys mask up" and "Not a mask among them" and "Is this an ad to catch covid for the holidays?" The response sparked arguments among fans.

In October, Wallen made national headlines when SNL dropped him as a musical guest after TikTok videos surfaced that showed him partying maskless with students at the University of Alabama. (He was later rebooked.) Shortly after, Jason Aldean encountered some backlash over a no-masks family photo at Disney World. “Chill out lady. They are in our pocket. We took them off for 5 seconds to take the pic,” Aldean wrote to one critic, before deleting the picture.

A similar dynamic occurred in mid-December when Thomas Rhett and his wife, Lauren Akins, posted photos of a group trip to Mexico, and some fans were not thrilled: “Wish I could be happy for you but the rest of us are not traveling to try to keep covid at bay.” Afterward, Rhett said he was taking a break from Instagram because of the negativity.

This echoes other singers’ decisions on whether to engage on social media: According to one Nashville industry veteran, one star simply declines to upload photos because every time they post a maskless one, they are criticized no matter what.

The potential of being publicly shamed is a powerful influence. Country singers saw the outcry in June when Rice and Chris Janson held concerts the same weekend and shared Instagram pictures of people packed together with no masks. The intense reaction, some said, seemed to discourage other singers from attempting to hold concerts.

“It wasn’t about the fear about getting covid,” theorized Clay Myers, who owns Nashville Music Consultants. “They were scared of the public disapproval of them playing shows.”

The pandemic has decimated the live touring industry, and performers are understandably anxious about their futures and providing for their band and crew members. While musicians are all eager to get back on the road, in November, many country singers let their frustrations show on social media when pictures of people celebrating President-elect Joe Biden’s victory started to go viral.

“Knew we were waiting on the election since March when this s--- show started,” Florida Georgia Line’s Brian Kelley wrote on Instagram under a picture of crowds gathered in Washington, adding, “Time to go back to work AMERICA. Booking shows ASAP.” Other Nashville singers shared similar thoughts (“So this means we can play shows again right?” wrote Mitchell Tenpenny; Wallen added: “The hypocrisy is unreal”), though others criticized them for equating outdoor, largely masked gatherings in response to a contentious election with country music concerts.

“Perhaps most egregious, the nonchalant calls to restart live shows generally fail to consider or acknowledge the fans,” Joe Hudak and Jon Freeman wrote in Rolling Stone. “We’ve all been thrown into economic crisis because of the pandemic — millions have lost jobs, with music crews especially hard hit — and yet artists clamoring to return to the road in a traditional manner . . . suggests they’re not taking into account their fans’ finances or their very health and safety.”

On the other hand, lots of singers have dutifully followed protocols and are patiently waiting for the days when they can tour safely. Earlier this year, the Academy of Country Music Awards and CMT Music Awards went ahead with mostly virtual shows, as artists performed outside or in remote locations, and accepted trophies via video. Then in October, the CMA Awards announced that the show would "mark the first time the biggest names in country music will come together — safely, all in one room — this year."

Things got off to a rocky start when the show promoted itself on Twitter as a “no drama zone,” which briefly stirred controversy as some took it as a warning to artists to not discuss current events. Then, five acts (Lee Brice, Florida Georgia Line, Lady A, Rascal Flatts and Jenee Fleenor) had to drop out after testing positive for the virus or being exposed to someone who had tested positive. In interviews after the telecast, executive producer Robert Deaton and CMA chief executive Sarah Trahern ran through the long list of state, local and union protocols they followed to hold the show inside the Music City Center. Deaton told Variety the reasoning behind the in-person ceremony was to have it properly reflect the CMA brand.

“We knew we could not do a Zoom show; we could not do a living room show. We could not do that and have it represent the CMAs, which is ‘country music’s biggest night,’ ” Deaton said. Trahern emphasized that anyone who stepped on set had to first test negative. “Probably one of the safest places in the world to be was at our show,” Deaton said.

Still, news coverage of the awards was nearly overshadowed by headlines about all the positive tests before the telecast, as well as the lack of mention of covid-19 and the absence of masks — which some considered a missed opportunity to send a powerful message to country music’s fan base. (In the Variety interview, the producers later compared it to a restaurant, and said that anyone not seated or singing had to wear a mask; and added that they provided plastic shields for artists who didn’t want to wear face coverings because of hair and makeup.)

The optics took another dive with Pride’s death, as fans vividly remembered him, four weeks earlier, accepting his Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award with an emotional speech and performing onstage with Jimmie Allen. People instantly started speculating. “I don’t want to jump to conclusions because no family statement has been made. But if this was a result of the CMAs being indoors, we should all be outraged,” country artist Maren Morris, who was of the many stars in attendance, said in a now-deleted tweet. Mickey Guyton and Brandi Carlile concurred, as did Giddens.

“It’s like the [Trump rally], they held this big gathering and then who’s the one that died? The Black guy. Herman Cain. I was just like, here it is again, there’s this big country gathering, and who’s the one that dies? The Black guy. It’s just so cosmically unfair,” Giddens said. “So it’s just kind of like, of course we’ll never know [how it happened] — but it doesn’t seem like it even needed to be a question.”

That’s the other issue that has come up repeatedly in conversations with Nashville insiders, even as many declined to speak publicly. (Nobody wants to tick off the CMAs, one said, as others noted the high-profile organization’s power and board members’ influence in town.) Charley Pride was a groundbreaking legend, one of the genre’s first Black stars. He had 30 songs reach No. 1 on the country charts. He could have received the award, which was instituted in 2012, well before 2020. Presenting him with the award in the year of racial reckoning appeared to be a way for the CMAs to recognize the serious lack of diversity in the genre. In doing so, Pride was faced with the choice of whether he should travel for the show — and as CMA defenders have pointed out, he did make the decision to go. But, behind the scenes, many feel he should have never been asked to make that choice.

“The thing that breaks my heart the most is that Charley Pride has been trained for decades about the way country music works — first and foremost, it’s loyalty to country music,” said a longtime Nashville industry insider, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly. “If you’re presented with an opportunity and turn it down, or request something be changed, you’re unlikely to get that opportunity again.”

“You smile and be a good soldier. And if you say no? Country music moves on,” the insider said. “The moment you say, ‘I don’t want to do it that way,’ they’ll find someone else who will do it that way.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

As someone who was actually born in Spain and who manages to speak both english and spanish without an accent and without getting confused, and who remembers the word for cucumber in BOTH languages (!) this story cracks me up (but not in a good way). And no, I did not wave a fan at my wedding, and neither has any other bride at any spanish wedding I've been to. This article sums up the real damage best. I've lived with seeing discrimination against my parents my whole life, who have spanish accents they can't shed. And they are white. Let's not even open that can of worms. By the way, I'm convinced Alec Baldwin was well aware of the duplicity involved and actively encouraged it. A Daily Fail article I read yesterday broke down how her parents lived in a $4 million home in Boston while Hillary was growing up, and now have retired to a house in Mallorca purchased with non-resident status, something many foreigners do. And to think Hilaria is an actual Spanish name is hilarious.

Hilaria Baldwin's Spanish cosplay shows which Hispanic stereotypes white people are cool with
The woman once known as Hillary faked an accent and foolishness that was socially acceptable to white America — and which actual Latinos can never afford. Stereotypes damage people of color, but for white, privileged women like Hillary Baldwin, they are a way to climb the Hollywood ladder.

By Susanne Ramírez de Arellano, journalist and cultural critic

Up until the last week, Hilaria Baldwin — the wife of actor Alec Baldwin and mother to five of his children — was arguably one of the most famous Spaniards in Hollywood (apologies to Penélope Cruz and Antonio Banderas). That is, she was one of the most famous Spaniards in Hollywood until a still-anonymous Twitter user admired “her decade long grift where she impersonates a Spanish person."

Outed as a fake Spaniard, she is now known to the world as plain Hillary Baldwin née Hayward-Thomas from Boston — just a girl "living life."

Except that that life was built in part on appropriating the persona of a white, Spanish-speaking (albeit European) immigrant with an accent palatable to a white elite, at a time when brown and Black Latino immigrants are persecuted and belittled in the United States.

After first denying the anonymous allegations, Baldwin, 36, was eventually forced to admit that she is not even half-Spanish (both her parents are U.S.-born), that she was not born in Mallorca, Spain, and that her real name is Hillary. She now insists that she was being “misrepresented” by the media she so assiduously courted after first marrying into Hollywood royalty and then shilling her yoga and wellness business — during which she inundated social media with lingerie-clad selfies with babies in an expensive Manhattan apartment and appearances on television in mutating Spanish accents.

“There is not something I’m doing wrong," she told The New York Times. "I think there is a difference between hiding and creating a boundary.”

Alec Baldwin defended his wife in a video in which he says we should consider the source of the allegations (rather than, one presumes, the truth of them). But he had been part of his wife’s act, both pushing her Spanish roots and even making fun of her accent on "The Late Show with David Letterman" in 2013. “My wife is from Spain, you know,” he told Letterman as he imitated her supposedly poor English when discussing pregnancy: “I have to pee every five minutes! I can’t believe it!”

In a self-made video clip of her own, Hillary Baldwin also tried to explain her story — with a lot of hair-tossing and no-makeup lighting — in a flawless American accent. “I am a white girl," she said. "Let’s be very clear that Europe has a lot of white people in there,” she also said, unnecessarily belaboring the obvious.

But then she added: “My family is white. Ethnically, I am a mix of many, many, many things. Culturally, I grew up with two cultures. So it’s really as simple as that.”

Well, Hilaria, Hillary or whatever your name is, actually, it isn’t that simple at all.

In reality, one couldn’t care less about this latest episode of “white woman appropriating a different culture to advance herself” if it hadn’t gone so far.

But for years, Baldwin had gotten good press in the Hispanic media, which described her as Latina or Hispanic. “Hispanic” refers to someone from a Spanish-speaking country and is inclusive of Spain and white people (though it is rarely used that way in America or by nonacademics), while “Latina” describes only people with roots in Latin America and the Caribbean — much of which was colonized by Spain — the vast majority of whom are brown and Black (though, because of colonization, there are white and white-appearing Latinos).

And reporter Aura Bogado, for instance, wrote on Twitter that Hilaria's “pretended to be from Spain with that ridiculous accent, while some of us have been denied opportunities for our actual accents, is disgusting."

Indeed, other Latinos in America commented on the difficulties they'd had getting work because of their real accents, even as Hillary Baldwin's affected accent was used to make her lifestyle brand seem more "exotic" than one promoted by just another actor's younger, yoga-teaching wife.

Stereotypes damage people of color, but for white, privileged women like Hillary Baldwin, they are a way to climb the Hollywood ladder and become — as The New York Times wrote — the new Gwyneth Paltrow. But since there's already a Gwyneth from L.A., I guess Hillary from Boston had to be Hilaria from España — because passing yourself off as Puerto Rican, Dominican or Central American just wouldn’t carry the same cachet, now, would it? (Though she was seemingly happy enough to benefit from the impression that she was Latina.)

"When I moved from Puerto Rico stateside, I had a lot of difficulties getting theater roles in college — even in a play written by Ariel Dorfman, an Argentine writer — because of my accent,” Suset Laboy, founder of A Little Awareness and co-founder of Lalaboy PR, told me. “But here is this person failing up, with a made-up accent,” she said.

Still, between Hillary-cum-Hilaria-cum-Hillary and a handful of other racial or ethnic pretenders exposed on social media this year, perhaps the age of thinking a spray tan qualifies one as "spicy" — as white people are prone to call Latinos — is coming to an undignified close at long last.

“When you seek to upgrade yourself socially by adopting a fake cultural background, you actually achieve the opposite,” Bobby Moya, a Puerto Rican choreographer and director, told me. It should be “enough to make anyone reconsider hypocrisy as a tool for success,” he said.

Hillary: Live your life, teach your kids Spanish and vacation as much as you like in the rich people's playground that is Mallorca (though please do tip the locals) — just stop stripping bits of Hispanic culture off to sell your own lifestyle brand to the mayo-white masses.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

OK. Some thoughts.
There are NO native black people from Latin America. The black population in L.A are also descendants from slaves brought from Africa. The Spaniards colonizing the continent felt that the local indigenous people were not strong enough for the slave-induced work that would await them all.
Until recently (early 1900's) all white people in L.A. were of Spanish or Portuguese origin. In the early 20th century, more immigrants came from other European countries, mostly (again) from Spain, Portugal, Italy and to a lesser degree, Germany (after WWII and you know why). So us white Latin Americans, if we buy our 23&me kit, will show those profiles.

Other than that, mostly what MJ says. But the USA has to stop paying attention to dumb Hollywood people. I mean, these people are not real in any way, and that is what they get payed for. To pretend.
And indeed, Hilaria is not even a Spanish name. Or a Latino name.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I always wondered about that name especially because "Theresa" in English is "Teresa" in Spanish (I know there's an accent but I don't want to get it wrong.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I thought this was funny. The Daily Fail delivers once again.

EXCLUSIVE: Ivanka has bust up with her dad over her plan to go to Biden's inauguration so she would 'come across as a good sport' and save her 'political career' - which Donald said was the 'worst decision she could make'

Ivanka Trump had plans to go against her father's wishes and attend Joe Biden's inauguration on January 20, DailyMail.com can reveal
She worried that her 'promising political career is in jeopardy' and is doing 'whatever she can to save her reputation,' a White House insider says
President Trump was up in arms about Ivanka's decision, calling it the 'worst decision she could ever make'
'Ivanka is convinced that by attending Biden's inauguration she will come across as a good sport and will gain future supporters,' the source says
Donald Trump made it clear he wouldn't be attending Joe Biden's inauguration in a tweet last week - before his social media accounts were suspended
'The White House is being dubbed a circus on steroids with Trump's kids desperately vying for control,' the insider added
House Democrats formally introduced articles to impeach Trump Monday, charging him with 'incitement of insurrection'
Another White House source has denied the story
By KAYLA BRANTLEY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 15:23 EST, 11 January 2021 | UPDATED: 18:10 EST, 11 January 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... areer.html
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Promising political career?
These people must have some sort of dominant delusion-gene with high penetration.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Part of the pull down across all sites of his accounts is because he said he wouldn't be at the inauguration so clearly. His minions have taken that as a clear green light that the inauguration is a good target for them in addition to the stuff on other days but especially the 17th, Ivanka going would ruin that as she might get injured, but at this point, if it's planned, not sure they'll just change their plans just because of her. Especially because they are becoming more violent and less loyal to him.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Is 2020 over yet? Seriously? What Jazz is saying I don't think anyone would've ever predicted would have to be said by any citizen of the US.

Honorary_medal

Re: The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by ti-amie »

A guide to the fabulous coats at the inauguration, from Kamala to Michelle

First Lady Jill Biden waves to Vice President Harris during the inauguration of Joe Biden on Wednesday. (Kevin Lamarque/Reuters)

By
Ashley Fetters
Jan. 20, 2021 at 1:53 p.m. EST

On a chilly Wednesday in January, during a pandemic that’s forced Americans to wear masks obscuring their faces, the most high-profile attendees at the inauguration of the 46th president knew their outerwear would have to send the messages that their faces couldn’t. A number of them, including the incoming first lady and vice president, rose to the occasion.

Here’s a guide to the inauguration coats. (This story will update.)

Jill Biden’s sophisticated Markarian tweed

The incoming first lady’s ensemble is designed by Alexandra O’Neill’s sustainability-focused label Markarian, according to Vanity Fair. Many found its bright teal color — in two complementary shades, with matching gloves and mask — striking in the good way:

Jesse North @jessenorth
Nicole Kidman's Undoing character is going to steal Dr. Jill Biden's coat after the inauguration.
Kamala Harris’s blue-purple Christopher John Rogers

Vice President Harris’s outerwear, designed by rising-star Black designer Christopher John Rogers, is also a continuation of a tradition she upheld during her presidential campaign: wearing purple in honor of Shirley Chisholm, the first Black woman to run for president in the United States. (Harris took color cues from Chisholm in other ways, too, adopting red and yellow as her signature presidential-campaign colors in a nod to Chisholm having done the same.)

Ella Emhoff’s Miu Miu top coat

Emhoff -- daughter of Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff, stepdaughter of Harris and a textile-design student at the Parsons School of Design in New York City -- garnered many a heart-eye emoji with her beige Miu Miu Shetland Pied De Poule coat adorned with gold at the shoulders. Some wondered if it ushered in the age of be-sequined shoulders:

Michelle Obama’s maximalist Sergio Hudson

Another of several women in politics wearing purple at the inauguration, the former First Lady wore a dramatic long overcoat in a warm burgundy shade, designed by Sergio Hudson, a Black designer from South Carolina. The coat, alongside the rest of the Obamas’ sartorial choices, inspired “Grey’s Anatomy” creator Shonda Rhimes to tweet praise:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Michelle Obama’s maximalist Sergio Hudson

Bernie Sanders’s all-purpose Burton parka

At inauguration, it appeared Sen. Sanders was once again taking the opportunity to showcase a hometown brand: His practical winter coat, made in Burlington, Vt., is the same one he’s wearing in the photo that became the ubiquitous “I am once again asking” meme. To some, Sanders’s ensemble of parka and hand-knitted mittens lent him the distinct air of a gruff granddad, or of having run a few errands beforehand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ium=social

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

IG waits for no one.

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Michelle wins today. She's rocking that look.