With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ponchi101 »

I like Courier.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Me too.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The description is accurate of my sentiments watching, er listening, to him
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I don't like Courrier at all. (I also wouldn't want to agree with a Tsitsipas perspective on defining someone's character.)
I search for broadcasts where Courrier isn't present as much as possible (I did that just yesterday).

To use the word 'humility' to describe him is, in my opinion, a huge inaccuracy.
He was arrogant and obnoxious as a player (treated chair umpires very badly).
The only difference now is that his that his arrogance and obnoxiousness as a commentator is not as loud as it was when he was a player. He is always very smug and very satisfied with himself - the opposite of humble.
I see him as being just as much of a phoney as Agassi.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:49 pm I don't like Courrier at all. (I also wouldn't want to agree with a Tsitsipas perspective on defining someone's character.)
I search for broadcasts where Courrier isn't present as much as possible (I did that just yesterday).

To use the word 'humility' to describe him is, in my opinion, a huge inaccuracy.
The only difference now is that his that his arrogance and obnoxiousness as a commentator is not as loud as it was when he was a player. He is always very smug and very satisfied with himself - the opposite of humble.
I always appreciate your point of view. I've heard this about Courier but I prefer him over the laughing hyenas of ESPN.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:54 pm
Deuce wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:49 pm I don't like Courrier at all. (I also wouldn't want to agree with a Tsitsipas perspective on defining someone's character.)

I always appreciate your point of view. I've heard this about Courier but I prefer him over the laughing hyenas of ESPN.
I just think that Courrier - like Agassi - is putting on an act, pretending to be 'humble' when underneath that disguise is pure arrogance.

Right now, I'm being subjected to Stephanie Dubois in the WTA Final. She and Mickey Pereira seem to be the #1 team for WTA matches. Pereira is ok - except that his "breakthrough" (when a player breaks serve) gets old very fast. But Dubois is annoying with her very halting/abrupt way of talking. She talks like she has a permanent case of the hiccups. And, as a Fancophone, her English grammar leaves much to be desired (she'll constantly say things like "that" instead of "this" - as in "she has taken control of that set" when they're in the middle of THIS set).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I don't know if Courier is "inspiring" but he is usually accurate and is one of the few that are able not to talk about random unrelated things during points, which is - and I'm not being facetious - the most important skill of a commentator to me.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:30 pmI like Courier.
He's one of my favorites, along with Lindsay and Chanda
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I like McEnroe and Navratilova best, as experts....
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:47 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:30 pmI like Courier.
He's one of my favorites, along with Lindsay and Chanda
Chanda is very good. I like the voice, she does not over extend, she is light. And, she knows when she does not need to say anything. She let's you watch the match.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

LOL, John and I cannot stand Courier- you should HEAR what John has to say about him during matches. I swear, many years ago, John and I recall that Courier, while, if I am recalling this correctly, playing something like a banjo or whatever, "sang" some kind of weird "original" song involving Andy Roddick that, in our admittedly depraved minds, came off as vaguely and boringly homoerotic-esque. :gorgeous:

ON a positive note, at least the Bryan twins weren't there as accompanists. :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous:

He comes off to me as smug and self-important, and he far too often talks talks TALKS!!!! during points, and can just get very obsessive about making his opinions and expertise heard. Lindsay and Chanda are terrific IMO- and Taylor Townsend has come off great when she's been a commentator. I also hope that Petkovic can be used more during telecasts.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Amazing how the same person can come across, to people that actually don't know them, in so many different hues.
There's got to be a social sciences experiment right there.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

nelslus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:41 am LOL, John and I cannot stand Courier- you should HEAR what John has to say about him during matches. I swear, many years ago, John and I recall that Courier, while, if I am recalling this correctly, playing something like a banjo or whatever, "sang" some kind of weird "original" song involving Andy Roddick that, in our admittedly depraved minds, came off as vaguely and boringly homoerotic-esque. :gorgeous:

ON a positive note, at least the Bryan twins weren't there as accompanists. :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous:

He comes off to me as smug and self-important, and he far too often talks talks TALKS!!!! during points, and can just get very obsessive about making his opinions and expertise heard. Lindsay and Chanda are terrific IMO- and Taylor Townsend has come off great when she's been a commentator. I also hope that Petkovic can be used more during telecasts.
Well, I MEAN....not even one like? I SWEAR, and FAR too often, I waste my best material on you trollops. :o
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

nelslus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:41 am LOL, John and I cannot stand Courier- you should HEAR what John has to say about him during matches. I swear, many years ago, John and I recall that Courier, while, if I am recalling this correctly, playing something like a banjo or whatever, "sang" some kind of weird "original" song involving Andy Roddick that, in our admittedly depraved minds, came off as vaguely and boringly homoerotic-esque. :gorgeous:

No one, and I mean NO ONE talks as much as JMac, Carillo, and if the Hellsent trifecta is going, PMac. Throw Arias into that cesspool too.
I stay in my lane when it comes to subjects I know nothing about so I'll take your word re the banjo concert.

I haven't heard Petko but Chanda, Lindsay and Taylor are all good. Chanda actually elevates the commentary of one of the male talking heads whose name escapes me right now.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

A friend mentioned that some players, not just Ukranians, support the ban on Russian and Belarussian players, like at Wimbledon. Is this true? I thought they all understood that was not helpful or deserved.