The Music Thread

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: The Music Thread

Post by Deuce »

My god... the Manhattan Transfer are still making music?
I remember them from this (about 1980)... One of the TV networks used it for a time as John McEnroe's 'theme song'.
It's still as 'catchy' now as it was back then...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:26 pm
The only musicians I'd heard of before are the Manhattan Transfer. I listened to Samara after she won because she's from my borough of the Bronx.

I need to clarify what I meant by saying that she shouldn't have gotten the award.

She's very young. She hasn't developed her own approach to classics or new works. My listening went from "beautiful voice" to "she's using the phrasing and style that Ella used, throwing in a bit of Billie and Carmen McRae. Like I said to ponchi give her five years or more in the real world of jazz, not the one her instructors have put her in. She's just too green despite that beautiful voice to win a Grammy right now in my opinion. I'm hoping that she'll find her own voice, her own approach, and that in another few years she will have become the singer she can be.

I hope that clears it up a bit. :)
First, I thought the first post you made on it was clear, the only thing I wondered was who you would give it to instead. I'm with you on the only name that jumped out as recognizable was Manhattan Transfer.

She has a very nice voice. But I would say, it's not doing much for me. And I think it's because what you're saying, it has the feeling of a cover more than original music, which is a shame. So if she has more of her own style, maybe I'd appreciate her voice more.

I listened to snippets or a full song of all the nominees just now and based on that, but knowing this is about a full album not just a song, I'd give it to Cecilie or the Baylor Project. Had much stronger reactions to both. Far more intriguing music and styles for me.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:29 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:26 pm
The only musicians I'd heard of before are the Manhattan Transfer. I listened to Samara after she won because she's from my borough of the Bronx.

I need to clarify what I meant by saying that she shouldn't have gotten the award.

She's very young. She hasn't developed her own approach to classics or new works. My listening went from "beautiful voice" to "she's using the phrasing and style that Ella used, throwing in a bit of Billie and Carmen McRae. Like I said to ponchi give her five years or more in the real world of jazz, not the one her instructors have put her in. She's just too green despite that beautiful voice to win a Grammy right now in my opinion. I'm hoping that she'll find her own voice, her own approach, and that in another few years she will have become the singer she can be.

I hope that clears it up a bit. :)
First, I thought the first post you made on it was clear, the only thing I wondered was who you would give it to instead. I'm with you on the only name that jumped out as recognizable was Manhattan Transfer.

She has a very nice voice. But I would say, it's not doing much for me. And I think it's because what you're saying, it has the feeling of a cover more than original music, which is a shame. So if she has more of her own style, maybe I'd appreciate her voice more.

I listened to snippets or a full song of all the nominees just now and based on that, but knowing this is about a full album not just a song, I'd give it to Cecilie or the Baylor Project. Had much stronger reactions to both. Far more intriguing music and styles for me.
Interesting. I'll give them a listen over the weekend. :)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:29 am

Okay, so had a holy crap moment. I don't know them exactly, but not nearly as unknown to me of a group I was thinking. The Baylor Project is composed of a husband and wife Marcus and Jean Baylor. Marcus is a former drummer with The Yellowjackets. Now, I'm thinking he's not part of the original group since that's a band I listened to way back when my dad played it on vinyl and then cassette tape, but a later replacement member. And Jean is originally Jean Norris, as in one half of the fantastic duo Zhane, which made one of the very best R&B albums of the 90s. Who knew? Learn something new every day.
Ainsley United States of America

Post by Ainsley »

Here is an artist that is going to make a statement in 2023. Ethel Cain brings her folk, dream pop, ethereal style music to the forefront. She also is quite the accomplished songwriter. This song is called "Thoroughfare".

Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

A Canadian Band I grew up with from the Montreal area. One of the coolest concerts I ever went to back when I was young. Everyone has to remember their huge hit "The Safety Dance". This song is called "The Great Ones Remember" and is one of my favourite songs from my youth. It also is the perfect sound of the 80's New Wave scene.

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Concert at our home Mar 11...we do this every quarter, to promote young musicians..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: to you
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

This is the best song Kylie has put out in 20+ years

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Couldn't see the women's final at all..had our quarterly concert at home...providing young musicians a platform..started in lockdown when they had no gigs..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It's giving us a 403 error (no access). It may be your personal page, so we can't see it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Not a big deal, posted the pic again ..
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JTContinental wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:13 pm This is the best song Kylie has put out in 20+ years

Just now listened for the first time - it's catchy but not as good as exciting as I hoped.

I don't get the connection between the trailer chic video (which actually looks great), the Edith Piaf referencing lyrics and the electropop music. Video setting looks wrong for the song?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Re the pic I posted, no, neither I nor any of my family is in the pic.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

held at our home.. posting this because instrumental music is easier for people from other cultures to relate to..this was a violinist, young but a fourth generation maestro! her father, grandfather and great grandfather were all great violinists..