With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

2023 WSP Womens Picks and Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

JTContinental United States of America

Re: 2023 WSP Womens Picks and Results Thread

Post by JTContinental »

There is still only a partial schedule for tomorrow, but I will get the Day 7 thread going once it is out.

Post by JTContinental »

after 3 no picks and 1 double pick of Azarenka, we are down to 41, with another 4 players' lives hanging in the balance. Those lives have pushed the arrival of the UPDATED PICKS & RESULTS THREAD until those matches are finished.

The breakdown

Market Vondrousova 18
Jessica Pegula 10
Victoria Azarenka 8
Elina Svitolina 4
Marie Bouzkova 1

Post by JTContinental »

Submitted for your consideration, it's the Wimbledon '23 Round 2 edition of STANK or DANK! Was your losing pick as STANK as a several hundred year old sponge found in a musty corner of a cell in the Tower of London, or as DANK as that aforementioned corner? Read on and find out!

Jule Niemeier (13 victims) DANK This match seemed to come down to fitness, as Niemeier quickly faded away in the third set after she didn't win the tiebreak. Your dreams of Wimbledon glory have also quickly faded away.

Barbora Krejcikova (6 victims) DANK Big Four, my @$$ (wait, where have we read that before?)

Katerina Siniakova (5 victims) DANK An unfortunate time for Lesia Tsurenko to decide to finish a match this year, with the added insult of Bigfoura Krejcikova pulling out of the doubles tournament.

Irinia-Camila Begu (4 victims) DANK , he wrote without conviction. Despite being on the tour for almost 50 years, I've never been compelled or privileged to watch her play, and I've already made the "Begu not to pick her" joke, so we'll award you a faint DANK , like when you first open the door to a 13 year old son's bedroom.

Alycia Parks (1 victim) STANK After a fast start to the season, Parks has been content to arrive on court and overhit every ball that comes her way. Since the step up in competition, she looks a little lost out there, and probably needs a coach.

Paula Badosa (1 victim) STANK You broke the poor woman's back again with the weight of your expectations, you cruel, cruel person.

Anhelina Kalinina (1 victim) DANK Thought that was a slam dunk, didn't you? Usually when Andreescu knocks someone out the SP, it happens the opposite way.

Anett Kontaveit (1 victim) STANK A chronically ailing Kontaveit sadly has called it quits after this tournament, but happily took one of you along with her on her way out.

Tamara Korpatsch (1 victim) STANK Short of putting LEAVE US ALONE patches (predominantly white, of course) on their shirts before taking the court, how could it have been more obvious that this match was best left alone? No matter who you picked, they would have lost.

Veronika Kudermetova (1 victim) an unenthusiastic DANK Kudermetova tricked you that she was back in form with her decent grass court season, but now that outlook is hazy for the US Open.

Rebecca Masarova (1 victim) an even less enthusiastic DANK She did win a couple of grass court matches leading up to Wimbledon, but enough to warrant this risk? We don't think so.

Elise Mertens (1 victim) STANK Mertens and Svitolina are veterans headed in different directions, and got those directions mixed up.

Jelena Ostapenko (1 victim) DANK This was a match so close at a time of night (morning!) that is so late (early!) that I've got nothing snarky to say about it.

Round 2 now in the annals of history! Round 3 tomorrow, if the rains hold off long enough to finish it out.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JTContinental wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:26 am Paula Badosa (1 victim) STANK You broke the poor woman's back again with the weight of your expectations, you cruel, cruel person.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
The read was worth the wait :thumbsup:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
kknudsen Canada

Post by kknudsen »

What a great match between Azarenka and Svitolina ... I'm out with my Azarenka pick, but am super thrilled that Svitolina won! Good luck to those remaining!

Post by JTContinental »

One more no pick added to the discard pile, leaving us with 30. We'll move to the Updated Thread after this round finishes.

The breakdown

Madison Keys 14
Elena Rybakina 6
Petra Kvitova 4
Aryna Sabalenka 3
Ons Jabeur 2
Mirra Andreeva 1
G2gaynor United States of America

Post by G2gaynor »

Do I root for potentially not having a pick from the bottom quarter and eliminating 14 or 17 people....or wanting keys to win so i can still pick her.....tough decision.

Post by JTContinental »

We only have one entry for the Round 3 edition of STANK or DANK and it's a no brainer:

Anastasia Potapova (3 victims) DANK This was TMQ's pick, and since we are never wrong, Potapova was mistaken for losing.

Post by JTContinental »

That bandwagon creaked and teetered, but Andreeva was just too young to handle that situation.

Post by G2gaynor »

If kvitova and Alexandrova win today... There's a ton of people gonna be in some trouble making picks potentially in the final. Could be interesting!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Alexandrova already didn't, Kvitiva looks to be on her way out.
So, no debate for pickers yet.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by G2gaynor »

25 through day 8 isn't that bad. I think it begins to get interesting tomorrow.

Post by JTContinental »

G2gaynor wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:40 pm 25 through day 8 isn't that bad. I think it begins to get interesting tomorrow.
It's bad for me :lol: