With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:39 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:06 am Individual liberties dont matter to them - just their vision of a perfect world..
This is nonsense. These officials are still just people trying to do the task that they have been assigned, and they certainly don't have a broader vision for a perfect world. When it comes to sports, athletes, and the officials that regulate the sport everyone says that they want a fair field of play, and I think the public does to, and that means having a system of testing and accountability for violations.
I agree with what I highlighted. If everyone is doping then why should anyone but cookers/chemists watch sports? There's nothing for an average Joe or Jane to see since they're not seeing a competition between athletes but a competition between drug companies/makers.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sorry. Agree with the WTA in this one. You cannot punish somebody for liking some social media post. As atrocious as that can be.
And Andreeva is only 16. One must wonder if she understands the entire scope of this war, or is taking in Russia's propaganda.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:53 pm Sorry. Agree with the WTA in this one. You cannot punish somebody for liking some social media post. As atrocious as that can be.
And Andreeva is only 16. One must wonder if she understands the entire scope of this war, or is taking in Russia's propaganda.
At the same time I hope someone at the WTA is talking to Andreeva, and her team about this sort of thing. The WTA may not be able to sanction her for this behaviour, but the fans, and the media can.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

She's proving herself to be quite the charmer.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I can't help but wonder why Yastremska was trolling Andreeva's social media after a crushing loss earlier in the week.

Post by Owendonovan »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:04 am I can't help but wonder why Yastremska was trolling Andreeva's social media after a crushing loss earlier in the week.
Kids these days.....
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:59 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:53 pm Sorry. Agree with the WTA in this one. You cannot punish somebody for liking some social media post. As atrocious as that can be.
At the same time I hope someone at the WTA is talking to Andreeva, and her team about this sort of thing. The WTA may not be able to sanction her for this behaviour, but the fans, and the media can.
This made me wonder.
What is a Russian player were to come out openly in favor of Russia in this war? I know, I know, we are in agreement of which side is the one doing the aggression. But what if there is somebody that is a Russian patriot and believes Russia is right?
Could anything be done by the governing bodies?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:47 pm This made me wonder.
What is a Russian player were to come out openly in favor of Russia in this war? I know, I know, we are in agreement of which side is the one doing the aggression. But what if there is somebody that is a Russian patriot and believes Russia is right?
Could anything be done by the governing bodies?
I don't see that either tour would take steps to sanction such behaviour. Sabalenka came closest to crossing the line with some of her statements, though that was before the war. All of the players are reliant on Western companies for their clothing, shoe, and racquet deals so doing such a thing would come with a serious financial risk.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

wta
@WTA
WTA statement pertaining to athletes denied entry into Czech Republic:

The WTA emphatically condemns the war in Ukraine and the reprehensible actions of the Russian government. The WTA also continues to support the Tour’s Ukrainian athletes – as well as all WTA athletes – who face immense challenges as professional athletes while many of their loved ones and their country face attacks from Russia.

Individual WTA players whose nationality is Russian/Belarusian continue to compete on the Tour on a neutral basis. Despite their neutrality, some WTA players are being denied by Czech government authorities the ability to compete at the WTA 250 event scheduled to be held in Prague next week.

WTA rules state that all players must be allowed to compete on the WTA based solely on merit, without discrimination. We will continue to review the situation as we factor important considerations around these complex geopolitical issues
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And what can the WTA? It already tried to boycott China over another moral issue, and we saw how that went.
Gonna take tournaments out of Czechia and Poland? Uhm...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:53 am And what can the WTA? It already tried to boycott China over another moral issue, and we saw how that went.
Gonna take tournaments out of Czechia and Poland? Uhm...
There was never any consequences for the tournament (Qatar?) that didn't let Israeli Sharhar Pe'er compete.

Post by Owendonovan »

I'm fine denying publicly pro-war Russians and Belarussians anything and everything. Ef em.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/ru ... -in-prague
Note that they are stopping ALL Russisns not just those they think pose a security risk. The tours should cancel those tournaments...they did sanction Wimbledon, why not these?