Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ponchi101 »

Wimbledon was the one that made the decision NOT to allow Russian and Belarusian players to play (in '22). These stops for Russian and Belarusian citizens come from the governments.
It is the sole difference, but a considerable one.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:18 am Wimbledon was the one that made the decision NOT to allow Russian and Belarusian players to play (in '22). These stops for Russian and Belarusian citizens come from the governments.
It is the sole difference, but a considerable one.
I suspect the UK government pressured Wimbledon..and the entire Tory upper class..
Anyway, what is the difference? If it was the tournament's decision, the tournament should be de-recogmized, as it was..if it was the country's decision, they should not be awarded a tournament..same result!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

All of Eastern Europe except Hungary are strongly anti Russia. So no surprise here.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

No surprise.. but is it fair? To kasatkina for instance?
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Ultimately, the Russian population allowed Putin to run the show his way a long time ago. Sometimes, you have to pay a price for the poor choice your parents generation made. That's just life.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Life is not always fair. In many sports Russians are banned outright.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The alternative is not so nice, either. Just play tournaments and allow Russians and Belarusians play as if nothing is happening is not a high moral ground.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:13 pm The alternative is not so nice, either. Just play tournaments and allow Russians and Belarusians play as if nothing is happening is not a high moral ground.
Maybe ideally there would be no mention of nationality tied to the players careers, but between the Olympics, other team competitions, and funding that is tied to national sporting bodies that is probably an impractical solution.
tenniswizard United States of America

Post by tenniswizard »

The content discusses how eating has become mindless in our busy lives. Mindful eating is presented as a transformative approach to reconnect with the eating experience by being aware, grateful, and enjoying every bite. The article explores the practice of mindful eating and its potential benefits for overall well-being.

The Art of Mindful Eating: Nourishing Body and Mind
THE TENNIS JOURNEY MANAGEMENT MARKETPLACE
  • Tennis consumers can find global providers & online solutions.
    Global providers can deliver various services across borders.
    Digital Coach - learning facilitator between the providers and the consumers
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Making time for a quiet meal is very difficult especially for people with children who also have hectic schedules. I'm at the point now where I can carve out an hour twice a day to enjoy a meal.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:04 pm Making time for a quiet meal is very difficult especially for people with children who also have hectic schedules. I'm at the point now where I can carve out an hour twice a day to enjoy a meal.
It strikes me as an extreme luxury and kind of idealizing this notion, as if all the generations before us were mindful eaters and we've let it go. They weren't. I doubt early humans were mindful eaters - they wolfed food to survive. The family dinner was more common in the past, but it doesn't mean they were eating mindfully. The ideal is somewhere in the middle.

I get the point - people, including myself, gobble bad food in our cars. But the answer isn't to find hours to make a spiritual connection to all the produce on my plate. If you can and want to, great. I don't want to spend my precious time that way. For me, mindful eating is planning and making smart decisions and enjoying the food and occasionally using food to gather people together. I tend to spend a lot more time cooking (on occasion, not daily) than eating. That connects me to it a little more.

Portions are out of control in the US. They have become spectacles totally unrelated to what we need or want.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I don't believe in any spiritual connection to food. However, I do believe in eating well if at all possible. We make time to cook 5-6 times per week.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Until very recently, the vast majority of humans ATE TO SURVIVE.
There is a very good, evolutionary reason why we are omnivores. As small and weak and slow as we are (compared to other mammals), being able to eat anything and everything was a superb evolutionary advantage. Just think about how few species actually share that trait.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It's not so much a spiritual connection with food. It's taking time to savor the process of eating itself. Paying attention to what you eat is part of it but it is a luxury and everyone can't indulge it.
The family dinner was a time for everyone to sit down and talk about their day, what's on their minds, and check in with each other. With parents working late hours and if they live in the burbs having an hour or more to commute home, with kids having sports practice or academic studies that are more and more computer based the idea of having time to sit around the table to just talk does sound odd. Some cultures manage to do it and others struggle with it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
tenniswizard United States of America

Post by tenniswizard »

THE TENNIS JOURNEY MANAGEMENT MARKETPLACE
  • Tennis consumers can find global providers & online solutions.
    Global providers can deliver various services across borders.
    Digital Coach - learning facilitator between the providers and the consumers