With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
mmmm8

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by mmmm8 »

I have more than that and I can't serve NOR do flips
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:08 pm Old people you are :D

I still have more than a decade to go till 57
Smirk now, ingénue. 50's just around the corner. :gorgeous:

(....Albeit, I'm less than 7 years away from 70.) :shock:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:57 pm
ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:19 pm
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Thank you, Iga. One conversation and term that can be put to sleep.
FAR too soon to call them the big 3. Two of them haven't been consistent enough to earn Big Anything status yet. The men's Big 3 got to the semis of Slams and 1000s in their sleep. Not quarters, semis. Every single time.

But it's nice to have a solid 1, 2 and 3, and I hope they can keep it up. We need that.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Kei Nishikori on Alcaraz
https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/carlos ... tory.shtml

Nishikori thinks, as I do, that Alcaraz' quickness makes him a better player than Nadal..better than anyone seen thus far..in fact
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

With modern technology and so much video available, it should be possible to quantify that quickness and speed.
Is Alcaraz truly faster than Roger, Rafa or Novak? Faster than Deminaur? (I have always been impressed by his speed). Faster than Borg? I would love to see a quantified analysis.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Tennis Connected
@TennisConnected
·
Jul 23
Is Casper Ruud Overrated? Point-Counterpoint.

After many interactions on Twitter,
@AmyLundyDahl
& Nima Naderi return to discuss the current resume of world No. 4 Casper Ruud.

Is the Norwegian overrated, or not?

The latest

Is Casper Ruud Overrated? Point-Counterpoint
By Amy Lundy -July 23, 2023

TennisConnected.com founder Nima Naderi and writer/reporter Amy Lundy debate whether Casper Ruud is overrated or not. The Norwegian, currently ranked #4 in the world, has been runner up at Grand Slams 3 times and has 10 career singles titles, all at the 250 level. His career earnings in prize money alone (singles and doubles combined) is over $15 million.

Nima’s Point
Recently, I posed the question on Twitter: Is Casper Ruud overrated? The simple point gained a lot of traction and provided a very elaborate discussion on both sides of the spectrum.
Tennis Connected
@TennisConnected
Still think Casper Ruud is super overrated. He’s in this soft patch of men’s tennis where he can basically tank the grass season and finish Top 5 in the world. Again, nothing against him. Good guy, nice game but he’s definitely benefitting from a weak top 10 overall.
Interestingly enough, tennis mainstays and respected coaches Daniel Vallverdu and Brad Gilbert tweeted to defend the Norwegian in their support that he is not in fact “overrated.”

Anyway you slice this argument, the facts remain here:

– Ruud is 0-14 against 5 recent Grand Slam winners: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Medvedev and Alcaraz.

– He has never won a title higher than an ATP Tour 250 event.

– In the 3 Majors finals that he reached (French Open 2022 and 2023 and the US Open in 2022), he only defeated one top 10 player en-route to the finals (Rune, Roland Garros quarterfinals 2023).

– He has notoriously played a ton of lower ranked clay court events to gain ranking points throughout the years

– Against the rest of the current top 10, his record is:

1-1 against Tsitsipas
6-1 against Rune
2-5 against Rublev
0-2 against Sinner
1-0 against Fritz
0-0 against Tiafoe

All in all, the claim remains strong that at No. 4 in the world and a career high of No. 2, Ruud is an overrated player that has benefitted from easy Slam draws and a weak overall top 10 field at the moment.

Amy’s Counterpoint
This is an easy counterpoint for me to take up because Ruud is one of my son’s favorite players. He gets loads of respect in my house for his work ethic and his forehand!

First of all, Ruud is only 24 years old. His story is very much unwritten. Dude has a decade or more of tennis in front of him, if he so chooses.

– Regarding the 0-14 record against recent Grand Slam champs, most people struggle against those guys, particularly the Big 3. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are in their own rare air (more on that in a moment). Yes, as of now, Casper is 0-6 vs Meddy and Carlitos, but only one of those six matches was on clay, Casper’s preferred surface. Give these rivalries time to play out.

– All his titles are 250s. It’s better than not winning ten 250s, which is true of the vast majority of players on tour. Yes, he might benefit from more thoughtful scheduling to save his energy for Masters level events, but he’ll get there.

– 6-1 vs Holger Rune is nothing to sneeze at. Runner up in three Grand Slam and one ATP Finals is amazing for a 24-year-old. To borrow from golf (since Casper likes it), the GOAT of golf, Jack Nicklaus, finished 2nd in Majors a record 19 times. The fact is, most tennis players lose most of the time. That’s the nature of tournament tennis. Ruud’s overall career winning percentage is 65%. How many people can say that? Ruud will break through and win a Grand Slam eventually.

– On blowing off the grass season, except for Wimbledon. How a player chooses to engage with the sport of tennis is their choice. I have friends who refuse to play indoors– or play on clay. They’re good players. They do them. If Ruud wants to make $15 million in prize money and use the grass season to take a breather, then he’s probably doing something right. Scandinavians have been consistently ranked as some of the most content people on the planet, in large part to work-life balance. Casper has that.

– The other side of the equation of the Big 3 dominance era is that current young players probably realize they’re never going to catch those guys. If you can’t possibly win 20+ Grand Slams, you might need to enjoy your life a bit. Ruud can still very much win a Grand Slam or two, or four. That doesn’t mean he needs to wear himself out on a surface he doesn’t enjoy. The tennis calendar is too damn long. Everyone needs a calculated break in the schedule, and I’m here for it.

The bottom line: The Big 3 Era is drawing to a close. The world is about to open up for the taking. I would not bet against Ruud’s work ethic as a means to solving the larger-tournament puzzle.

https://tennisconnected.com/home/2023/0 ... nterpoint/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I say Ruud is not overrated. But he also is not underrated. Can't see him becoming a force in the sport.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Calling him the Pegula of the ATP may be just right..as someone did on this forum recently.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

She's hitting with kids balls it seems.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And that is also a juniors' racquet.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Meanwhile Ankita Raina has becme the answer to a trivia question, by sending Strycova into retirement at her home tournament...I still remember the nasty exchange Strycova has with Venus some years ago, left a bad taste in the mouth.. but I am sure we all wish her well
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

This might be giving Nelsus nightmares. :lol:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Spinopsys
@spinopsys@aus.social
I will never forget how this woman treated a young Nick Kyrgios when he needed a helping hand and understanding shoulder to lean on in his formative years. And I have zero idea how she keeps getting appointed to head things. Her past form indicates she should never be allowed near anything to do with Australian sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... l-sanction?