2023 USOSP Women's Picks and Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: 2023 USOSP Women's Picks and Results Thread

Post by ponchi101 »

All the ones I picked are alive too, except the one that killed me ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We lost one player yesterday. And it was to Rybakina.
This game is insane.
NatLee United States of America

Post by NatLee »

Rybakina seemed like a good pick, then again every pick seems good.
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:43 pm We lost one player yesterday. And it was to Rybakina.
This game is insane.
You would have thought Rybakina was a safe pick. Crazy game.....
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

One more no pick leaves us with 44 hopefuls waiting to step into the glorious lighting of the Updated Picks & Results thread

The breakdown

Daria Kasatkina 27
Qinwen Zheng 10
Ons Jabeur 2
Aryna Sabalenka 2
Peyton Stearns 2
Liudmila Samsonova 1
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

And now it's time to celebrate the Round parade of losers, who were clamoring at the door to see who could die first. But was your pick as STANK as a pile of Frances Tiafoe's discarded shirts during the course of one match, or as DANK as Frances Tiafoe changing his shirt on court? FInd out below

Victoria Azarenka (16 victims) STANK This isn't 2012, but the soon-to-be-dead still flock to pick Azarenka even though she's never been the same feisty player since her unfortunate baby daddy drama.

Karolina Pliskova (14 victims) A half-hearted DANK. Always a popular early round pick Pliskova's results are so random and streaky now that it's no longer a sure thing that she'll get by an lower-tier opponent you've never heard of.

Beatriz Haddad Maia (13 victims) DANK This was TMQ's pick, and since he is never wrong, it was Haddad Maia who is in error here.

Lauren Davis (7 victims) The faintest whiff of STANK as TMQ can see why you would select from this match as the winner would serve as cannon fodder for Iga in the next round, but with a 1-1 H2H and their nearly identical best results in grand slams, why pick from this match when you could have chosen Azarenka...er, Pliskova, er, Haddad Maia...er, never mind, great pick!

Danielle Collins (3 victims) DANK TMQ can appreciate a big swing and miss, and given Mertens comparatively poor past couple of seasons, it could have happened.

Clara Tauson (2 victims) STANK No way--TMQ mentioned at Wimbledon that Stearns is rocketing up the rankings and with Tauson not match-tough after coming back for injury, this was a slam dunk for Peyton.

Yafan Wang (2 victims) STANK While picking against a Brit is usually a sure ticket to the next day, Boulter has more talent than her compatriots, and is more than game to take out a 29-year old qualifier who has never made it past the second round here.

Rebecca Masarova (1 victim) STANK I guess her friends ran out of weed after the Sakkari match...

Magda LInette (1 victim) STANK Magda seems content to fade back into obscurity after next year's Australian Open.

Lesia Tsurenko (1 victim) STANK The biggest surprise here is that Tsurenko actually played two matches here without retiring in either one.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JTContinental wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:19 pm Lauren Davis (7 victims) The faintest whiff of STANK as TMQ can see why you would select from this match as the winner would serve as cannon fodder for Iga in the next round, but with a 1-1 H2H and their nearly identical best results in grand slams, why pick from this match when you could have chosen Azarenka...er, Pliskova, er, Haddad Maia...er, never mind, great pick!
The SP thought process summarized in one paragraph. :clap::clap:
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

FINALLY!!!! One of my picks is out- Samsonova. :gorgeous:

In that section- at least with my choice for tomorrow for now, and my next anticipatory pick- I pretty much need Coco to beat Granny Blonde, then Muchova to win two matches (IF Wang wins, I'll need HER to win her next two matches), and then pray I still have options for the SF. Unless I am neglecting to factor something in here. :freaking:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
kknudsen Canada

Post by kknudsen »

nelslus wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:56 pm I let Pliskova take me out of the Wimbledon Pool. No WAY was I gonna let that crone do that to me again. Pliskova is an automatic DNP. Out of fairness and Pool Compassion- JT and all moderators- I suggest never listing any Pliskova match again during any Pool. :gorgeous:
Hear hear ... never picking her again :bang:
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Zheng was down 4-2 and a game point for 5-2 to Bronzetti after being up 2-0 in the third set, but she came back and won 6-4. Whew!
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:50 pm FINALLY!!!! One of my picks is out- Samsonova. :gorgeous:

In that section- at least with my choice for tomorrow for now, and my next anticipatory pick- I pretty much need Coco to beat Granny Blonde, then Muchova to win two matches (IF Wang wins, I'll need HER to win her next two matches), and then pray I still have options for the SF. Unless I am neglecting to factor something in here. :freaking:
Second player out now from my picks- thanks to the Ons Crap-Fest- Bouzkova.

Nothing can go wrong now. :bananas:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
aidsasis Philippines

Post by aidsasis »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:55 pm nah, she plays Iga next. That's the reason you picked her in the first place.
um
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

aidsasis wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:06 am
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:55 pm nah, she plays Iga next. That's the reason you picked her in the first place.
um
Backfired spectacularly, didn't it? ;)