With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '23 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:16 am Keys playing like a champion, a USO champion.
Absolutely flawless for 11 games... this one is going to sting if she doesn't right the ship. Big collapse from 5-3, but she dug herself out of 15-40 at 5-6 to force a TB. I've never seen Maddie play this confidently. Credit Sabalenka for turning it on and believing in herself, too.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Starting with the 9th game of the set, Aryna went 21-7 in points.
So much with the narrative that she is a choker.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Keys looking tired now..footwork not good enough
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Though the score is 6 -0, 6-7 they have both won the same number of points..

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:00 am Keys looking tired now..footwork not good enough
i think she is going to rally. Looked good in that last game. Dig deep, Maddie!

Post by meganfernandez »

Sabalenka has been more clutch. I think she wins the match TB. Her returns have been bonkers. So good.

Sabalenka thought she won the match at 7-3 in the TB. Oops.

Very lackluster reaction from the crowd when Sabalenka won. That's sad. She played amazing and deserved better.

This was the best match of the tournament.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:28 am Is that Nelslus causing a stir in the stands?
....You really had to ask?? :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:45 am Sabalenka has been more clutch. I think she wins the match TB. Her returns have been bonkers. So good.

Very lackluster reaction from the crowd when Sabalenka won. That's sad. She played amazing and deserved better.

It was pretty late by the time the match ended, and obviously it was a pro-American crowd, but I thought the crowd reaction was normal.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:53 am
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:45 am Sabalenka has been more clutch. I think she wins the match TB. Her returns have been bonkers. So good.

It was pretty late by the time the match ended, and obviously it was a pro-American crowd, but I thought the crowd reaction was normal.
A number of folks left after the Coco match. Others left while the match was still going on. (I will never understand why folks come to these tournaments, when clearly they don't appear to care at all about tennis. But, bro-ing and boozing it up apparently have their own rewards). So, it was nowhere near a full house by the time the match ended. (I got back to where I am staying around 1:30 a.m. Fortunately, for me, this was 12:30 a.m. Chicago time). So, the after-match response felt fine. Remember that there were still many folks left- and it ain't fun getting out of there with tons of people doing the same thing. Frankly, I was one of the folks trying to speed out of there after Sabalenka won. Of course- fair enough- I am sure that Madison would still have gotten a larger response. And, I do see that it's a shame that Sabalenka didn't get the same level of acknowledgment after the match.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am rooting for Coco in the final solely because I like it when we get new slam winners.
But Sabalenka has obviously have the best slam year, and she deserves the #1 slot. If she wins it, even more clear cut.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:59 pm I am rooting for Coco in the final solely because I like it when we get new slam winners.
But Sabalenka has obviously have the best slam year, and she deserves the #1 slot. If she wins it, even more clear cut.
Best Grand Slam season since Serena came two wins short of the calendar Grand Slam in 2015.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Re fans leaving after the first match: A lot depends on the LIRR ( Long Island Rail Road) schedule for those who are traveling east as well as the match taking place during the work week. Even the bros have to put in an appearance at their jobs the next morning.

The situation in NYC is not like that at Wimbledon where transportation ends at 11 - the subway runs 24/7 - but I think if the matches were played Friday night instead of Thursday the fans would've hung around and been obnoxious longer.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein