With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:15 am
Amen. I WANT players to want to be #1 in the world and own it. There's nothing wrong with it.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Interesting that Tennis ranks Pegula higher than Rybakina...Pegula won a 1000 event, Rybakjna won Indian Wells, generally considered the biggest tournament outside the majors, plus the Italian. Recency bias? Or just plain old American bias?!
Last edited by ashkor87 on Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:52 am Interesting that Tennis ranks Pegula higher than Rybakina...Pegula won a 1000 event for the first time, Rybakjna won Indian Wells, generally considered the biggest tournament outside the majors, plus the Italian. Recency bias? Or just plain old American bias?!
Probably a bit of recency affect.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'd say a bit of both. Rybakina didn't show much late in the season and Pegula was always there plugging away.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sorry, not first time for Pegula.. she had won Guadalajara

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:Interesting that Tennis ranks Pegula higher than Rybakina...Pegula won a 1000 event, Rybakjna won Indian Wells, generally considered the biggest tournament outside the majors, plus the Italian. Recency bias? Or just plain old American bias?!
And Rybakina got to a Slam final and nearly won. It’s a good question. Probably more recency bias than American, IMO…. and evidence that Rybakina fails to make an impression off the court… and is fairly inconsistent.

I would have put her over Pegula. To me, 4 and 5 weren’t really the fourth and fifth best results but people who had an incredible year in other ways, too. For my 5 picks on both tours, I went with players who had at least a credible claim to Player or the Year and made a big impression on the tours. For the men, there were 3-4… for the women, 3 IMO. The other picks were never going to win conventional POTY but I thought they had unconventional POTY stories.

Confession: I also struggled to say anything interesting about Pegula or Rybakina. I knew I would write something better about Svitolina, who was my #5 pick instead of the other two, and it’s boring to just stick to the rankings. There are X factors.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:
Fritz’s vocal fry gets on my nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:51 pm For my 5 picks on both tours, I went with players who had at least a credible claim to Player or the Year and made a big impression on the tours.
yes, that is an interesting and valid way to think about it.. Player of the Year need not be 'best player'..Kasatkina, Svitolina,Kostyuk come to mind ,,
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I would expect a guy who allowed himself to be the focus of an ad campaign that started with, "I'm obsessed with the number 1" to be pretty receptive to anyone else who basically says the same thing. :D
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I believe that the stat about Pancho Gonzalez is that he was never broken when serving for THE MATCH. Not the SET.
Still, an incredible stat, if true. The Wiki page makes no mention of that fact. which would be a prominent one. Maybe some other source is needed.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Translated from Spanish by Google
My last reflection after the announcement... 📣

👉🏻 of course I thought that it made no sense (to compete again)... that it has been many years...
👉🏻 I have fought and I have maintained the illusion at all times
👉🏻 I have had the right people around me as I have always had throughout my career...
👉🏻 … the people who want to see me play have had an impact
👉🏻 There is a good chance that it will be my last year, without a doubt.

Thank you all.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »