SWE R.Peterson vs Qualifiée/lucky Loser
CHN X.Wang vs CZE M.Bouzkova (31)

--- V.Azarenka (18) vs CAN B.Andreescu
--- A.Kalinskaya vs USA E.Navarro (W)
CHN L.Zhu vs USA L.Davis
UKR L.Tsurenko vs CZE B.Krejcikova (13)

--- V.Kudermetova (11) vs SVK AK.Schmiedlova
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs SVK K.Kucova
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs FRA K.Mladenovic (W)
EST K.Kanepi vs USA M.Keys (20)

UKR A.Kalinina (25) vs FRA D.Parry (W)
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs USA A.Riske-Amritraj
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs AUT J.Grabher
ESP R.Masarova vs USA C.Gauff (6)

KAZ E.Rybakina (4) vs Qualifiée/lucky Loser
CZE L.Noskova vs MNE D.Kovinic
FRA C.Burel (W) vs ESP S.Sorribes Tormo
CRO P.Martic vs USA S.Rogers (32)

--- E.Alexandrova (23) vs BUL V.Tomova
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs GER AL.Friedsam
CAN R.Marino vs --- D.Shnaider
GER T.Maria vs B.Haddad Maia (14)

CZE P.Kvitova (10) vs ITA E.Cocciaretto
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs Qualifiée/lucky Loser
EST A.Kontaveit vs USA B.Pera
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs CRO D.Vekic (22)

ROU S.Cirstea (30) vs ITA J.Paolini
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs UKR K.Baindl
FRA S.Janicijevic (W) vs FRA O.Dodin
ITA L.Bronzetti vs TUN O.Jabeur (7)

BOTTOM HALF

GRE M.Sakkari (8)
vs CZE K.Muchova
ARG N.Podoroska vs FRA J.Ponchet (W)
ITA S.Errani vs SUI J.Teichmann
HUN A.Bondar vs ROU I.Begu (27)

POL M.Linette (21) vs CAN L.Fernandez
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs --- A.Sasnovich
FRA L.Jeanjean (W) vs AUS K.Birrell (W)
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs SUI B.Bencic (12)

--- L.Samsonova (15) vs USA K.Volynets
--- A.Pavlyuchenkova vs CZE L.Fruhvirtova
EGY M.Sherif vs USA M.Brengle
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs --- A.Potapova (24)

BEL E.Mertens (28) vs Qualifiée/lucky Loser
USA C.Mcnally vs ROU A.Bogdan
FRA A.Cornet vs ITA C.Giorgi
USA D.Collins vs USA J.Pegula (3)

FRA C.Garcia (5) vs CHN X.Wang
--- A.Blinkova vs BEL Y.Bonaventure
ESP N.Parrizas Diaz vs Qualifiée/lucky Loser
UKR E.Svitolina vs ITA M.Trevisan (26)

LAT J.Ostapenko (17) vs CZE T.Martincova
USA P.Stearns vs CZE K.Siniakova
CZE M.Vondrousova vs USA A.Parks
GER J.Niemeier vs --- D.Kasatkina (9)

CZE KA.Pliskova (16) vs USA S.Stephens
--- V.Gracheva vs HUN D.Galfi
KAZ Y.Putintseva vs BEL M.Zanevska
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs CHN Q.Zheng (19)

CHN S.Zhang (29) vs POL M.Frech
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs --- K.Rakhimova
HUN P.Udvardy vs Qualifiée/lucky Loser
UKR M.Kostyuk vs --- A.Sabalenka (2)

by ponchi101 ABOUT THE POLL
Because many have said that Alcaraz is a lock to win this one, you can also choose players that may be the upset. You get 6 votes, and you can spread them, with a maximum of three votes to a single player. For example.
Iga 3
Sabalenka 2
Rybakina 1

That way you spread your votes. Or you can have only two players, each one with 3 votes.
Hope it is clear.

by ashkor87 Surprise second weeker..Sasnovich!

by ashkor87 My projected semifinal lineup..
Swiatek vs Rybakina
Ostapenko vs Samsonova

What the 'experts' say:

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/20 ... -then-win-

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:49 pm ABOUT THE POLL
Because many have said that Alcaraz is a lock to win this one, you can also choose players that may be the upset. You get 6 votes, and you can spread them, with a maximum of three votes to a single player. For example.
Iga 3
Sabalenka 2
Rybakina 1

That way you spread your votes. Or you can have only two players, each one with 3 votes.
Hope it is clear.
Good system..I like it..

by Suliso Samsonova in SF's is not impossible, but I doubt it. Her last three loses on clay are Vekic, Begu and Krejcikova and the only impressive win over Ostapenko. Not exactly inspiring... It's true that the quarter is the weakest, but still lots of solid players there.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:21 am Samsonova in SF's is not impossible, but I doubt it. Her last three loses on clay are Vekic, Begu and Krejcikova and the only impressive win over Ostapenko. Not exactly inspiring... It's true that the quarter is the weakest, but still lots of solid players there.
She does have a good draw, though, nobody there she can't beat .no Vekic/Begu/Krejcikova

by New England Nitemare
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:12 am My projected semifinal lineup..
Swiatek vs Rybakina
Ostapenko vs Samsonova

What the 'experts' say:

Samsonova has a decent chance, but Pegula is in that section, and Pegula had a good French Open run last year to the QF, although she did go out early at the Italian Open last week. Pegula has had a very solid season, has made the QF in every event she played in (except two tournaments).

by ponchi101 For Ostapenko to reach the SF's, she needs five rounds of her balls landing in. Her record at RG is 10/6; take out her 2017 and that means she has won a total of three matches in her other 6 appearances.
I don't know.
It seems we all are in agreement that Aryna will not contend.
Samsonova might get former RU Pavs in 2r. That may be one larger than expected hurdle.

by ashkor87
New England Nitemare wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:03 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:12 am My projected semifinal lineup..
Swiatek vs Rybakina
Ostapenko vs Samsonova

What the 'experts' say:

Samsonova has a decent chance, but Pegula is in that section, and Pegula had a good French Open run last year to the QF, although she did go out early at the Italian Open last week. Pegula has had a very solid season, has made the QF in every event she played in (except two tournaments).
I have never considered Pegula to be that good..especially on clay..she is one of the more over-rated players in the wta, she has earned her high ranking, by doing well in tournament without actually winning any of them or beating any of the top 3 players..certainly did not steal or buy her ranking but not a top player, in my estimation.. Samsonova has tremendous power - I have seen a good player like Bencic struggling even to stay erect, like a sailboat in a hurricane, against her..on clay, that is a great asset ..

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:57 pm It seems we all are in agreement that Aryna will not contend.
Won't contend? Or just isn't one of our top 3 picks more likely? :) Actually she is the third pick so far if we don't include Mme. Autre :) I wouldn't say that's us agreeing she won't contend.

by JTContinental It seems way more likely to me that Sabalenka would make the semis well before Ostapenko or Samsonova

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Diego Barbiani
@Diego_Barbiani

the LLs were chosen among

Osorio
Hibino
E. Andreeva
Avanesyan
Hruncakova
Bolsova

at the moment, Osorio and Erika Andreeva are out

tough luck especially for Cami, who was the n.1 seed

by ti-amie leemeade
@leemeade@mastodonapp.uk
Aryna Sabalenka previews tense Roland Garros first round against Marta Kostyuk https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/ar ... ta-kostyuk
#tennis #RolandGarros #FrenchOpen

https://mastodonapp.uk/@leemeade/110436704386846078

by ti-amie wta :verified_business: 🤖
@WTA@sportsbots.xyz
"Overall I think that I'm improving a lot physically, and also I played a lot of matches this year. No matter the surface, I feel like it's any way giving me confidence." - Elena Rybakina

by ashkor87
ptmcmahon wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:29 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:57 pm It seems we all are in agreement that Aryna will not contend.
Won't contend? Or just isn't one of our top 3 picks more likely? :) Actually she is the third pick so far if we don't include Mme. Autre :) I wouldn't say that's us agreeing she won't contend.
I have her as third pick too ..before I saw the draw and thought of Samsonova having a good draw. Not very rational, I know.

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:05 pm It seems way more likely to me that Sabalenka would make the semis well before Ostapenko or Samsonova
yes, could happen..I was just going by the theory that there is always one unexpected semifinalist.. like Trevisan last year.. this year, the draw seems to favor Samsonova.. there is nobody very formidable in her path

by ti-amie I'm struggling with the women's draw. Iga may win it but a lot has to break her way. I don't think the tour is afraid of her anymore. Sabalenka may lose her way in Week 2 and Sakkari may not get out of the first round. Gauff in her interview said she knows her forehand is garbage but that the clay actually helps and she was the runner up last year but I don't see any progress in her game.

Even though I picked Pegula as my third pick I'm not sure her game holds up through 7 matches.

I picked Mademoiselle Autre as my first choice.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Sometimes it seems to me that people are making too much out of Coco's FH. It is not as if she is Edberg (and Edberg's FH was not the putrid stuff of legend).
And. Serious question here. So she "knows" her FH is not that great. What keeps her from getting the coach needed to improve? It is not a shot that nobody knows how to fix. I mean, two weeks with Lendl and that is taken care of.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:50 pm Sometimes it seems to me that people are making too much out of Coco's FH. It is not as if she is Edberg (and Edberg's FH was not the putrid stuff of legend).
And. Serious question here. So she "knows" her FH is not that great. What keeps her from getting the coach needed to improve? It is not a shot that nobody knows how to fix. I mean, two weeks with Lendl and that is taken care of.

by skatingfan Hopefully I haven't missed anyone.

1st Major
Mirra Andreeva (16)
Simona Waltert, Switerzland (22)
Iryna Shymanovich (25)

1st Roland Garros
Ylena in-Albon, Switzerland (24)
Emma Navarro, United States of America (22)
Kayla Day, United States of America (23)
Julia Grabher, Austria (26)
Rebeka Masarova, Switzerland (23)
Brenda Fruhvirtova, Czech Republic (16)
Diana Shnaider (19)
Elizabeth Mandlik, United States of America (22)
Kimberly Birrell, Australia (25)
Elina Avanesyan (20)
Linda Fruhvirtova, Czech Republic (18)
Caty McNally, United States of America (21)
Peyton Stearns, United States of America (21)
Alycia Parks, United States of America (22)
Sara Bejlek, Czech Republic (17)

by ti-amie Kalinskaya has withdrawn due to injury. If Cami is still in Paris...

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:29 am Kalinskaya has withdrawn due to injury. If Cami is still in Paris...
Better be. Not like she has anything to do here in 'Olombia

by ashkor87 And Saba rolls through quietly! Great start!

by Owendonovan
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:50 pm Sometimes it seems to me that people are making too much out of Coco's FH. It is not as if she is Edberg (and Edberg's FH was not the putrid stuff of legend).
Sometimes it seems people are making too much of Coco.

by Suliso Agree. Coco is good, but not THAT good. Maybe will never be.

by ashkor87
A month with ANY decent coach would fix it ..but the WTA schedule probably doesn't allow it! Can a player take a month off just to work on her game? The WTA would probably fine her,,! Strange system...

by ponchi101 Sure they can. Nobody mandates you can't take a month off. Of course, a month of no income and no points, but Coco is well signed and certainly could afford it.
A month of forehands and a better game? I say that would be worth it.

by Suliso Is it really that easy to dramatically improve a shot at adult age? Ifit was more players would have done it.

by ponchi101 I don't think she needs dramatic improvement. She is not hitting 40 MPH forehands that land on the service line. She has power already, which is a more difficult thing to tinker with.
She already has a BMW of a forehand; she just needs to move up to a Porsche.

by ponchi101 Sakkari drops her match, which was way more difficult than the ranking says. Muchova played at her level, and bounces her off.
I like Muchova's game. Solid serve, solid volleys, and her slice BH was working very well today.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:46 am Surprise second weeker..Sasnovich!
And there you go. How hard is it to predict this sport? Sasnovich out to Tauson in 1R. Maybe not that much of a surprise, until you see the score. 12 straight games for Tauson.
Below a few players at the top, the depth of the WTA is very even.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:36 pm Sakkari drops her match, which was way more difficult than the ranking says. Muchova played at her level, and bounces her off.
I like Muchova's game. Solid serve, solid volleys, and her slice BH was working very well today.
No surprise. I picked her in the SP

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:10 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:36 pm Sakkari drops her match, which was way more difficult than the ranking says. Muchova played at her level, and bounces her off.
No surprise. I picked her in the SP
And you were the only one and I congrat you on that. Brave, and solid, pick.

by ti-amie Not surprised at all about Sakkari.

by ponchi101 I am a bit because this is how she maintains her ranking: making it deep in all tournaments. So, to have a 1R loss is something that I don't associate her with.
Obviously this time it was not to be, and we spoke about how this match was a tough pick for 1R for both, but from our theories to see it actually unfold there is a bit of a stretch.
Again, FOR ME.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JTContinental In unlucky lucky loser news, Osorio did not get the spot in the draw left by Kalinina. Fortunately for her, McNally has withdrawn

by ponchi101 Ok. Because she is scheduled in tomorrow's OoP.

by ashkor87 My wife remarked that Muchova looks like. Chris Evert..I told her she is crazy but then I saw it .there are some moments when the face and expression, that puzzled semi-frown, does look like Chris Evert..does anyone else here think so?

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:30 pm I am a bit because this is how she maintains her ranking: making it deep in all tournaments. So, to have a 1R loss is something that I don't associate her with.
Obviously this time it was not to be, and we spoke about how this match was a tough pick for 1R for both, but from our theories to see it actually unfold there is a bit of a stretch.
Again, FOR ME.
Muchova is simply the better player..that is a bad draw for Sakkari, that is all .

by ashkor87 Nice
Win by Leylah. ...volleying always works on clay..

by JTContinental
ashkor87 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:35 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:30 pm I am a bit because this is how she maintains her ranking: making it deep in all tournaments. So, to have a 1R loss is something that I don't associate her with.
Again, FOR ME.
Muchova is simply the better player..that is a bad draw for Sakkari, that is all .
I think Muchova would be top 10 if she didn't get injured every other tournament.

by ashkor87 Not surprised Brncic lost..away too long, no match practice ..I fear for Jabeur too...wish they had played Strasbourg or Rabat...

by ponchi101 Indeed. And now, it is two more weeks with no competitive matches. A couple of matches last week would have at least helped with conditioning.

by ti-amie I know Martincova is not one of the players who shreds opponents on a consistent basis but she was up 5-1 on Aljona (who won the first set) and lost the second set and match 7-5.

What?

by ti-amie This section of the draw collapsed didn't it?
GRE M.Sakkari (8) vs CZE K.Muchova
ARG N.Podoroska vs FRA J.Ponchet (W)
ITA S.Errani vs SUI J.Teichmann
HUN A.Bondar vs ROU I.Begu (27)

POL M.Linette (21) vs CAN L.Fernandez
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs --- A.Sasnovich
FRA L.Jeanjean (W) vs AUS K.Birrell (W)
Qualifiée/lucky Loser vs SUI B.Bencic (12)
SAKKARI Maria GRE [8] K.MUCHOVA 7/6(5) 7/5
MUCHOVA Karolina CZE

PODOROSKA Nadia ARG N.PODOROSKA 6/0 6/2
PONCHET Jessika FRA (W)

ERRANI Sara ITA S.ERRANI 3/6 6/4 6/2
TEICHMANN Jil SUI

BONDAR Anna HUN I.BEGU [27] 6/4 6/2
BEGU Irina-Camelia ROU [27]

LINETTE Magda POL [21] L.FERNANDEZ 6/3 1/6 6/3
FERNANDEZ Leylah CAN

TAUSON Clara DEN (Q) C.TAUSON 6/2 6/0
SASNOVICH Aliaksandra ---

JEANJEAN Leolia FRA (W) L.JEANJEAN 6/4 6/7(6) 6/3
BIRRELL Kimberly AUS (W)

AVANESYAN Elina --- (L) E.AVANESYAN 6/3 2/6 6/4
BENCIC Belinda SUI [12]

Errani and Begu will play each other. Someone will win this one
Muchova and Podoroska - Muchova's to lose
Fernandez and Tauson - Toss up with slight edge to Leylah-Annie
Avanesyan vs Jeanjean - Someone will win

Unless Muchova has a very, very bad day she should do well here no?

by ponchi101 At the very least, 4R. Her game is completely above everybody else's here. I say Leylah could be a proper foe because she is good at using the other player's pace and shots, but other than that, what you say.

by ti-amie

The kit is not as plain as it looks in the first pics. Nice.

by ponchi101 She is not wearing NIKE anymore. Do we know the clothing brand?

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:10 pm Not surprised Brncic lost..away too long, no match practice ..I fear for Jabeur too...wish they had played Strasbourg or Rabat...
Jabeur went into last year's with a ton of match wins and lost R1 from the pressure of expectation. Let's see what happens this time. As long as she's confident enough for a couple early wins, she can build up.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:13 pm She is not wearing NIKE anymore. Do we know the clothing brand?
Paka

https://paka.life/en-reborn-women

by ponchi101 I like those. Seem a bit different.

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:55 am
ashkor87 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:10 pm Not surprised Brncic lost..away too long, no match practice ..I fear for Jabeur too...wish they had played Strasbourg or Rabat...
Jabeur went into last year's with a ton of match wins and lost R1 from the pressure of expectation. Let's see what happens this time. As long as she's confident enough for a couple early wins, she can build up.
She looked pretty good. She got a little tentative on her serve up 5-1 in the first set, but managed to close it out 6-4 and coasted the rest of the way.

by jazzyg I actually like Begu to win the decimated section over Muchova. Underrated player. Nowhere near as talented as Muchova but more consistent.

by ponchi101 On several occasions, Wertheim called her "the best player you have never heard of".
But she has burned me on a couple of SP's so, I don't know about the consistency. I picked her on matches she should have won and she coughed up some ugly losses.
But sure, she is a candidate on that side.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:55 am
I like Jabeur, she has 'class' but I am not convinced of her red clay prowess...

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:21 pm On several occasions, Wertheim called her "the best player you have never heard of".
But she has burned me on a couple of SP's so, I don't know about the consistency. I picked her on matches she should have won and she coughed up some ugly losses.
But sure, she is a candidate on that side.
Wertheim has said Begu is a BPYNHO in the past? Wow...

Is Alexandrova still the reigning BPYNHO? She isn't in my mind. Are Kudermatova and Tauson too heard-of by now?

by ponchi101 In the past. I actually have not read his RG NOTES and PREDICTIONS because the SI website is so complicated to navigate.
And, of course, he means by people that do not follow tennis like we do. Begu is by now a known quantity in the tour.

by Suliso Watching Swiatek play. Not that impressed this year. I think she will not win this year.

by ponchi101 Of course, I can't watch because they are showing PELLA and CERUNDOLO in the outer courts. But just looking at the score, this was the sort of match that last year would already be 6-1 and all steam ahead in the second.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Cake Watch Alert!

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

Have the French changed?

by JTContinental I just updated my SP stuff, and the women's draw has really collapsed after the first round, particularly in Swiatek's section.

by ti-amie This seems to happen quite a lot with women's draws in general. It's why "other" is always up there when we're asked "who ya got".

Via Wiki

Seeds

1. Poland Iga Świątek
2. Aryna Sabalenka
3. United States Jessica Pegula
4. Kazakhstan Elena Rybakina
5. France Caroline Garcia
6. United States Coco Gauff
7. Tunisia Ons Jabeur
8. Greece Maria Sakkari (first round)
9. Daria Kasatkina
10. Czech Republic Petra Kvitová (first round)
11. Veronika Kudermetova (first round)
12. Switzerland Belinda Bencic (first round)
13. Czech Republic Barbora Krejčíková (first round)

14. Brazil Beatriz Haddad Maia
15. Liudmila Samsonova
16. Czech Republic Karolína Plíšková (first round)
17. Latvia Jeļena Ostapenko
18. Victoria Azarenka (first round)
19. China Zheng Qinwen
20. United States Madison Keys
21. Poland Magda Linette (first round)
22. Croatia Donna Vekić
23. Ekaterina Alexandrova
24. Anastasia Potapova
25. Anhelina Kalinina (first round)
26. Italy Martina Trevisan (first round)

27. Romania Irina-Camelia Begu
28. Belgium Elise Mertens
29. China Zhang Shuai (first round)
30. Romania Sorana Cîrstea (first round)
31. Czech Republic Marie Bouzková (first round)
32. United States Shelby Rogers (first round)

I didn't realize it was this bad!

by ponchi101 14 seeds out in 1R.
A nice slaughter :ax:

by Owendonovan 1-10 follows seeding predicability much better than 11-32 did.

by Suliso That has always been the case.

by ashkor87 5 of the top 16 gone in R1..certainly, the ones at the very top (3 of the top ,4) will probably make it . But of the top 16, I bet fewer than 8 will get to the 4th round

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:41 am 5 of the top 16 gone in R1..certainly, the ones at the very top (3 of the top ,4) will probably make it . But of the top 16, I bet fewer than 8 will get to the 4th round
Isn't that a very safe bet from your side? ;) Of course, Garcia just lost, which adds to your tally, but it would mean only 2 more losses and your bet is correct.
And the WTA is like that. Take out the very top players, of which, as you say, there are only three, and everybody is very even.

by ashkor87 Bad day for me...Samsonova lost, Giorgi too..though she has an excuse...ostapenko's is the hardest to fathom ..

by ponchi101 Ostapenko is the easiest to fathom for me. She is a great striker of the ball, but her accuracy fluctuates tremendously. On the days when her balls are landing in, there is very little to do for the opponent. But that level is almost impossible to sustain. At the speed she plays, she will have a day off with frequency.
And Samsonova played a former RU; Pavs has the power.

by Suliso Also I doubt clay is where Samsonova is best at. I'm more surprised about Garcia and Zheng.

by jazzyg Garcia has been playng like garbage all year. I am irritated she lost because it hurts me in YCWJ but not the least bit surprised.

Zheng losing I did not see coming at all.

Stearns, who l join Ponch in knowiing nothing about, hit more winners than Ostapenko. That is hard to do.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie So should Pegula be counted in the top four since the woman who declared herself a member of that group crashed out already? Pegula, slamless, is always there to jack up your day if she's playing well.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Shot of the Day indeed

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:15 pm So should Pegula be counted in the top four since the woman who declared herself a member of that group crashed out already? Pegula, slamless, is always there to jack up your day if she's playing well.
I think we can agree that Kerjcikova's statement, while brimming with confidence, was borderline delusional. She is not a member of the "Big 4" because there are no Big 4.
And calling a group of women with 5 slams in total "The Big 3" is a generous marketing ploy. Let's give them more time.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:24 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:15 pm So should Pegula be counted in the top four since the woman who declared herself a member of that group crashed out already? Pegula, slamless, is always there to jack up your day if she's playing well.
I think we can agree that Kerjcikova's statement, while brimming with confidence, was borderline delusional. She is not a member of the "Big 4" because there are no Big 4.
And calling a group of women with 5 slams in total "The Big 3" is a generous marketing ploy. Let's give them more time.
People have been griping for years about the WTA's lack of marketing skills. It's too bad they're starting this one with, as you say, a group of women with a total of five slams in total not each.

by ti-amie The updated seed list after today's play (Day 4)

[1] Iga Swiatek
[2] Aryna Sabalenka
[3] Jessica Pegula
[4] Elena Rybakina
[5] Caroline Garcia
[6] Coco Gauff
[7] Ons Jabeur
[8] Maria Sakkari
[9] Daria Kasatkina
[10] Petra Kvitova
[11] Veronika Kudermetova
[12] Belinda Bencic
[13] Barbora Krejcikova

[14] Beatriz Haddad Maia
[15] Liudmilla Samsonova
[16] Karolina Pliskova
[17] Jelena Ostapenko
[18] Victoria Azarenka
[19] Qinwen Zheng

[20] Madison Keys
[21] Magda Linette
[22] Donna Vekic
[23] Ekaterina Alexandrova
[24] Anastasia Potapova
[25] Anhelina Kalinina
[26] Martina Trevisan

[27] Irina-Camelia Begu
[28] Elise Mertens
[29] Shuai Zhang
[30] Sorana Cirstea
[31] Marie Bouzkova
[32] Shelby Rogers

Sigh.

by Suliso You'd like to see a more random Slam winner than Raducanu? Mira Andreeva wins RG and immediately retires to join a religious community in Idaho. It would take that something like that to beat Emma. :)

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:46 pm You'd like to see a more random Slam winner than Raducanu? Mira Andreeva wins RG and immediately retires to join a religious community in Idaho. It would take that something like that to beat Emma. :)
It would take something like that, indeed. It is just that Emma will have a decade of wild cards so maybe she can salvage her career, which I would like her to.
And it is not only Emma. That final has to be the oddest of all time; Leylah has also failed to reach consistency and depth after that fine run.

by ashkor87 Mertens vs Pegula today...both similar players, both top of tier2...Pegula is probably marginally better, though the record suggests otherwise (2-0)...

by ashkor87 Andreeva vs Coco? what is your expectation of this match? I wonder if Andreeva is capable of playing a smart tactical match, which is what it normally takes to defeat Coco...
Tennis com seems to think Stearns will beat Kasatkina...I haven't seen her yet but it seems a bit far-fetched..?

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:12 am Tennis com seems to think Stearns will beat Kasatkina...I haven't seen her yet but it seems a bit far-fetched..?
Not a good idea to dismiss Kasatkina on clay.

by JTContinental Well, Kasatkina just handed her a bagel, so it will be an uphill climb

by skatingfan a bagel, and a breadstick for Stearns - she had no rhythm, and Kasatkina was never in any trouble, playing very free - I think the tennis.com prediction is an example of a pro-American bias

by skatingfan And down goes Pegula.

by ponchi101
skatingfan wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:23 am And down goes Pegula.
It is not only that she went down, it was how. I know Mertens plays her best on clay but, as we saw in TSiP contest, it is not as if she is playing great tennis at the moment.

by ashkor87 I didn't see the match (I am travelling on work) but sometime even a 0 and 1 score can be close...was this as bad as it sounds!

by ponchi101 1:22 hours of match. Some games were close, but still...
I am glad as I really like Mertens, but it should have been a closely fought match.

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:11 pm I didn't see the match (I am travelling on work) but sometime even a 0 and 1 score can be close...was this as bad as it sounds!
Stearns had 4 or 5 service games with 30-0 or 40-0 leads and she allowed Kasatkina to get back in and win those games. It was pretty bad.

by JTContinental Mertens had one of the matches of her life last night--she only hit 1 UFE of the ground in the first set.

by ti-amie I was surprised that Mertens beat Pegula. Mertens, despite their h2h, has done bupkis of late.

by ti-amie “It would be nice if we had women’s matches as well” – Swiatek on night sessions at Roland-Garros
Iga Swiatek admits that she prefers to play during the day, but that it would be nice to see some variety for the evening sessions which have, so far, only held men’s matches

Jamie Malachy
June 1, 2023

Iga Swiatek‘s game is well-suited to clay court tennis in dry and hot conditions under the Parisian sun.

With such topspin-heavy game, the world No. 1 thrives in warmer conditions on the clay, where she can generate a devilish amount of kick of her shots.

It is not a surprise, therefore, to hear that she would rather play during the day at this year’s Roland-Garros than in the night sessions. Swiatek also feels that, after a 01:00 finish at the Madrid Open, she has done her late-night match shifts.

SWIATEK SUITED TO THE DAY SESSIONS AT ROLAND-GARROS

“I have to tell you that I kind of requested every day to play a day session because I felt like I played already night sessions in this clay court swing.”

However, when asked about the evening sessions, Swiatek admitted that – although she hasn’t been watching them – a women’s match to be scheduled under the lights would be a good thing.

“Well, I didn’t even, like, kind of know this because I’m not watching these late evening matches. I’m mostly just kind of recovering and not thinking about tennis.

“But obviously it would be nice if we had women’s matches as well.”

UNHAPPY MEMORIES OF LATE-NIGHT FINISH AT MADRID OPEN

Swiatek has said that she will be ready to play a night match if and when required, but that she hopes it will not be a repeat of the late finish in Madrid, something the World No. 1 was clearly irritated about after losing to Sabalenka in the final.

“So in terms of regeneration, recovery, and just kind of being in a good rhythm and also keeping better mindset through the end of the tournament, I think it’s more healthy for me to play day sessions. But I’ll be also ready for night sessions. I already played many of them this year or last year.

“Honestly, if there is a pretty big request, I always kind of adjust. Then maybe if I play many night sessions during a tournament and I kind of straightforwardly said that, please, if you could schedule me a little bit earlier, that would be nice.

“I may get a little bit frustrated as I did in Madrid. You could see in my speech. Maybe I should have said that. I also understand that there is sometimes a need for us to play late.”

Swiatek is next due to play on Saturday, the order of play for which will be released on Friday.

The world No. 1 will take on Chinese player Xinyu Wang in the third round, as she continues her bid for a first ever Grand Slam title defence.

https://www.tennismajors.com/wta-tour-n ... 85376.html

Federer did this all the time at the Aus Open and no one made a big deal about it.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie That was brutal.

That said don't forget how Naomi was attacked and vilified for her stance at the very same RG. It's too bad she wasn't offered the same "private press conference" Sabalenka was.

by ponchi101 While I agree that players should have interviews, it is getting to be too much. You give an interview when you win, you give an interview when you lose, you get interviewed on your way to the court, you give interviews prior to the tournament, on and on.
How many times do you have to give an interview?

by skatingfan
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:56 pm That was brutal.

That said don't forget how Naomi was attacked and vilified for her stance at the very same RG. It's too bad she wasn't offered the same "private press conference" Sabalenka was.
Did Osaka ask for that? She announced that she was doing the press conferences, and as I understand it gave no information as to the reason to the tournament until later. I don't think she was looking for special treatment, and her initial statement, as I recall, said that she would accept the consequences, i.e. fines that such an action would receive.

by ti-amie
skatingfan wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:10 pm
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:56 pm That was brutal.

Did Osaka ask for that? She announced that she was doing the press conferences, and as I understand it gave no information as to the reason to the tournament until later. I don't think she was looking for special treatment, and her initial statement, as I recall, said that she would accept the consequences, i.e. fines that such an action would receive.
You can't ask for what you don't know exists.

by skatingfan
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:18 pm You can't ask for what you don't know exists.
True enough, though I don't think Osaka would have taken the option if it did exist because I really think she didn't want, or intend to draw that much attention to herself. I don't think she anticipated at all what the reaction would be to her decision. I also think this is a good example of why the players need a proper player union that could be working on, and negotiating these sort of things.

by ashkor87 Really don't see why media is so very important...TV and streaming have taken over anyway...I never read or watch the interviews anyway..how many people do?

by ashkor87 Nice to see Andreescu and Svitolina rolling along nicely...Andreescu has a good shot at reaching the QFs...
BHM vs Alexandrova is the most intriguing match for me...contrast of styles....

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:27 am Nice to see Andreescu and Svitolina rolling along nicely...Andreescu has a good shot at reaching the QFs...
You think she will beat Swiatek in R16?

by ashkor87 No, misread the draw..round of 16...am on the road...

by ti-amie Wow Ashkor I didn't know you were part of the TAT Jinx Crew! Andreescu went down 1&1 to...just checking...Tsurenko who hasn't done much the last couple of years.

by ti-amie Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 🤖
@christophclarey@sportsbots.xyz
Round 16 #RolandGarros women

1 Swiatek v Tsurenko
Schmiedlova v 6 Gauff
Sorribes Tormo v 14 Haddad Maia
Pera v 7 Jabeur

Muchova v Avanesyan (LL)
Pavlyuchenkova v 28 Mertens
Svitolina v 9 Kasatkina
Stephens v 2 Sabalenka

9 unseeded, 3 Russians, 3 Americans, 1 mom

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm Wow Ashkor I didn't know you were part of the TAT Jinx Crew! Andreescu went down 1&1 to...just checking...Tsurenko who hasn't done much the last couple of years.
Now let me try my hand on muchova! She may be coming through in this section of the draw..

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:49 am
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm Wow Ashkor I didn't know you were part of the TAT Jinx Crew! Andreescu went down 1&1 to...just checking...Tsurenko who hasn't done much the last couple of years.
Now let me try my hand on muchova! She may be coming through in this section of the draw..
:lol:

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Svitolina vs Kasatkina was a strange match...it was almost as if K didn't really want to win..sabalenka will almost certainly come through now to the semis, against Muchova...
So I guess Muchova is the 'surprise' semifinalist...except the only real surprise there is how steadily she has been playing ..of course, Pavs could beat her, but I really think Muchova is the better player right now.

by ponchi101 I had forgotten how much of an all court player Muchova is. Today's match Vs Avenesyan showed so many weapons: solid at the net, strong defense, and one thing that I really like: NO SWINGING VOLLEYS! When the ball is high, she comes quickly in and SMASHES THE DAMN THING.
Martina would approve.
Still a bit far, because PAVS is showing why she reached the final two years ago. If the semi on that side is PAVS/Sabalenka, ball changes will have to be every 5 games; they are both belting he ball.

by ashkor87 BHM not coming to the net much...I thought she was a volleyer,?

by ponchi101 Plays a lot of doubles, but nowadays that means so little.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:00 pm Plays a lot of doubles, but nowadays that means so little.
True but somehow I had the impression...
Saw no sign of it today .
Don't give her much of a shot against Jabeur...

by ponchi101 Hard to see somebody that was pushed to a 3:51 hours match vs SST with any chance against anybody. But BHM puts up the fight. I say 25% chance.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:39 pm Hard to see somebody that was pushed to a 3:51 hours match vs SST with any chance against anybody. But BHM puts up the fight. I say 25% chance.
Being generous

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:09 am I had forgotten how much of an all court player Muchova is. Today's match Vs Avenesyan showed so many weapons: solid at the net, strong defense, and one thing that I really like: NO SWINGING VOLLEYS! When the ball is high, she comes quickly in and SMASHES THE DAMN THING.
Martina would approve.
Still a bit far, because PAVS is showing why she reached the final two years ago. If the semi on that side is PAVS/Sabalenka, ball changes will have to be every 5 games; they are both belting he ball.
'no swinging volley' - i totally agree! why they cant smash the thing, I dont know.. it is not only the women, though...

by ponchi101 I wrote about it. I consider the Swinging volley to be a terrible shot. Look at matches and you will see how many times the players miss it, or simply hit it back at the opponent. A solid, regular volley would have done the job.
But of course, what do I know. I am an old fashion S&V player.
And, as you say, it is in both tours.

by JTContinental Somewhere we had a discussion about the women's draw collapsing and the seeds bowing out before their projected exit. Assuming making the QFs is "living up to your seeding," I'm counting only 10/32 seeds doing that:

Swiatek
Sabalenka
Gauff
Jabeur
Kasatkina
Haddad Maia
Alexandrova
Potapova
Begu
Mertens

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:32 pm I wrote about it. I consider the Swinging volley to be a terrible shot. Look at matches and you will see how many times the players miss it, or simply hit it back at the opponent. A solid, regular volley would have done the job.
But of course, what do I know. I am an old fashion S&V player.
And, as you say, it is in both tours.
I look at the swinging volley like the overhead smash. It's a matter of timing. You can't rush it or your shot will end up in the next county and if you wait too long you've lost the point as the ball goes over your head. When it works it's a thing of beauty for me.

by ponchi101 The thing is: for me, a properly hit FH volley is also a thing is beauty. A Mandlikova FH volley was a 99% effective shot. The woman just never missed it, and put it away for good on most occasions.
Mugu: she misses swinging volleys on a regular basis. For her, it is a liability. So, a regular volley would have been such a great addition to her game.

by JTContinental I love the swinging volley. It's one of the most satisfying shots to hit and land to me.

by ponchi101 That's the problem. When you hit one, it feels awesome. You feel like a Master of the Universe.
So, you remember the one you made, and forget the ones you didn't. ;)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:03 pm That's the problem. When you hit one, it feels awesome. You feel like a Master of the Universe.
So, you remember the one you made, and forget the ones you didn't. ;)
The smash is still the most decisive shot though, to end the point with...

by ashkor87 Watching Muchova..rolling nicely to a win .thus far..up a set and a break

by ashkor87 Muchova is really good...she will do well at W too ..

by Fastbackss Muchova was at 24-1 to win the tournament before today's match. I admit I thought about it...

by ashkor87 Saba spewing errors..more than I expected...up a set though..but she may not beat even Muchova playing like this, let alone Swiatek....

by Suliso I see it the other way. Even Iga will have a tough time beating this version of Sabalenka. Sure she does hit errors too, but is nearly dominant on her own serve.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:19 am Watching Muchova..rolling nicely to a win .thus far..up a set and a break
You picked her in 1R for the SP, and it was an impressive pick. Who would have thought it was indeed too early? (Which I can only say because of hindsight). She has been playing very solid tennis, and I do give her a chance in the semis.
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:14 pm I see it the other way. Even Iga will have a tough time beating this version of Sabalenka. Sure she does hit errors too, but is nearly dominant on her own serve.
Agree. The number of winners in which she is leaving her opponents flat footed is very high. She only needs a very good day, not an excellent day, to beat Iga.
(And Iga to be a little under her standard).

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:14 pm I see it the other way. Even Iga will have a tough time beating this version of Sabalenka. Sure she does hit errors too, but is nearly dominant on her own serve.
I predict Muchova beats her.. we shall see

by Owendonovan Sabalenka pulled a total d*ck move at the net with Svitolina.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:39 pm Sabalenka pulled a total d*ck move at the net with Svitolina.
I saw the picture earlier and wondered why Sabalenka went to the net to wait for Svitolina when she knew that wasn't going to happen.
I'm trying to find video or the photo.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 pm
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:39 pm Sabalenka pulled a total d*ck move at the net with Svitolina.
I saw the picture earlier and wondered why Sabalenka went to the net to wait for Svitolina when she knew that wasn't going to happen.
Devil's advocate.
If Aryna is the one that does not go to the net, how does that look on her? "Oh, I don't want to shake hands with the Ukrainians". It could look like she would be the "rude one" in this case.
If she goes to the net, at least it may look like she has nothing against them.

by ti-amie French Open 2023 results: Elina Svitolina booed after losing to Aryna Sabalenka in Paris
By Jonathan Jurejko
BBC Sport at Roland Garros

Ukraine's Elina Svitolina, who has not shaken hands with Russian opponents, was booed after walking past Belarus' Aryna Sabalenka when she waited at the net

Ukraine's Elina Svitolina accused Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka of encouraging French Open fans to boo her by waiting at the net for a handshake following their tense quarter-final.

Svitolina has not shaken hands with Russian opponents since Ukraine was invaded with support from Belarus.

Before her loss to Sabalenka, Svitolina made clear she would again avoid it.

Asked if Sabalenka inflamed the boos with her actions, Svitolina said: "I think so, unfortunately."

Sabalenka responded by saying her reaction was "an instinct".

It was a sour end to 28-year-old Svitolina's dream run at Roland Garros as Sabalenka, seeded second, kept focus to reach the semi-finals.

Svitolina, playing in her first Grand Slam since giving birth in October, lost 6-4 6-4 on the Paris clay.

"I don't know what she was waiting for, because my statements were clear enough about the handshake," Svitolina said.

On the booing, she added: "It was quite expected. Whoever in this situation loses, I guess gets booed. It was not a surprise for me."

There was a tense atmosphere in a quarter-final between two women whose nations are on opposing sides of Russia's war in Ukraine.

Sabalenka, 25, underlined why she is one of the favourites for the title and will play Karolina Muchova in the last four.

The unseeded Czech reached her first French Open semi-final with a straight-set victory over former finalist Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/658200 ... rter-final.

by Owendonovan
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:21 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 pm
Devil's advocate.
If Aryna is the one that does not go to the net, how does that look on her? "Oh, I don't want to shake hands with the Ukrainians". It could look like she would be the "rude one" in this case.
If she goes to the net, at least it may look like she has nothing against them.
A quick visual acknowledgment was all that was needed. It's no secret to any Russian or Belarussian player who will and won't be shaking hands from the Ukraine. That's just my take.

by ashkor87 Probabilities:
Swiatek 80 - BHM 20%
Sabalenka 55 - Muchova 45%

sounds fair?

by Suliso I'd give Sabalenka a bit more.

by ponchi101 And BHM pushed Iga to a 7-5 3rd set in their last meeting.
But I agree with Aryna/Muchova. Muchova has weapons, and the movement is superb. It should be the second match of the day because it has much more upside.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:33 pm And BHM pushed Iga to a 7-5 3rd set in their last meeting.
But I agree with Aryna/Muchova. Muchova has weapons, and the movement is superb. It should be the second match of the day because it has much more upside.
I think you mean Iga pushed BHM to 7-5 in the 3rd in their last, and only meeting.

Toronto 2022 Haddad Maia def Swiatek 6-4, 3-6, 7-5

by ponchi101
skatingfan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:11 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:33 pm And BHM pushed Iga to a 7-5 3rd set in their last meeting.
I think you mean Iga pushed BHM to 7-5 in the 3rd in their last, and only meeting.

Toronto 2022 Haddad Maia def Swiatek 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
Tzs, I read it backwards.
So... I do give her some chance. Although we know that Iga loves clay more than hards (by a bit).

by ashkor87 The prediction (presumably by Infosys analytics) is
Swiatek 90% to BHM 10%
Sabalenka 73% to Muchova 27%
Both seem high to me...

by ponchi101 Especially the Muchova/Sabalenka. But then again, maybe this certainly-AI-driven thing has no eyes to look at the matches.

by ashkor87 Phew...saba choked again...

by jazzyg I would put the Swiatek-Haddad Maia match at 100-0.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:25 pm Phew...saba choked again...
I would give Muchova a bit more credit than Saba choked. Sure, she had MP, and she hit those two DF's. But she never stopped hitting out on her strokes.

by ashkor87 Now swiatek won't have much trouble with Muchova.,only Ryba or Saba could have ..,90% swiatek I would say..

by Suliso If Iga does win her 3rd RG title what do you think will be the career total. I'd guess seven.

by ponchi101 Tying Evert? About right. 7-6 would mean 3 more in about an extra decade of playing.

by ashkor87 BHM doing what Rybakina, saba, krejcikova do...push swiatek back, don't give her time...and treating her spun serve with the contempt it deserves ..

by ponchi101 A truly unlucky game there for BHM. One ace that barely caught the line, and that game point that clipped the net.
But she is starting to show a bit of fatigue, I think. She has been a lot on court.

by jazzyg No, no, no, no.

That was a complete 100-percent choke by Sabalenka. Muchova, who played a terrific match overall, deserves credit only for not giving up, but she had nothing to do with the comeback. Just as one example, right after the two double faults, Sabalenka missed a sitter forehand off a weak return of serve she never misses. And although she was hitting out, she was missing horribly over and over. That's why Novotna claimed she did not choke against Graf in the long-ago Wimbledon final when she did. She thought hitting out and staying aggressive was a sign of not choking.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:39 pm If Iga does win her 3rd RG title what do you think will be the career total. I'd guess seven.
I would guess 10 .she will have 3 shots every year..over 5 years, that is 15..#converson of half of them to add to her current haul...

by ashkor87 How many do we think Sabalenka and Rybakina will collect? Both proving rather fragile..so maybe 3 each?

by Fastbackss
Fastbackss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:59 am Muchova was at 24-1 to win the tournament before today's match. I admit I thought about it...
I hope I don't bump this again tomorrow

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:45 am
Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:39 pm If Iga does win her 3rd RG title what do you think will be the career total. I'd guess seven.
I would guess 10 .she will have 3 shots every year..over 5 years, that is 15..#converson of half of them to add to her current haul...
I think Suliso was talking SOLELY RG's.

by ponchi101
Fastbackss wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:34 am
Fastbackss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:59 am Muchova was at 24-1 to win the tournament before today's match. I admit I thought about it...
I hope you do :)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:55 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:45 am
I think Suliso was talking SOLELY RG's.
Ah .then I would say 5 or 6...plus a couple of USO and Aos...

by Fastbackss
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:55 am
Fastbackss wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:34 am
I hope you do :)
Ha!

I logged in to check, she was still 5.7 to 1 as of this morning. I decided I should "pony up" , but I am traveling in a different state currently and had all sort of troubles trying - so oh well. I'll enjoy it (for an hour until LeMans starts)