'22 Wimbledon Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 pm The one thing that Rafa I think has a clear advantage over Nick is in the mental game. If Rafa starts to figure out how to handle certain things that gives an advantage to him this could quickly unravel Nick and he could completely fall apart.
Well, yes. But a deranged chimpanzee after a lobotomy has a mental edge over Kyrgios. He can go from shouting to Brandon Nakashima "You are done!" to tanking an entire match at the flap of a butterfly. Rafa would have to start dominating on Nick's service games repeatedly to have Kyrgios falling there.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:48 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 pm The one thing that Rafa I think has a clear advantage over Nick is in the mental game. If Rafa starts to figure out how to handle certain things that gives an advantage to him this could quickly unravel Nick and he could completely fall apart.
Well, yes. But a deranged chimpanzee after a lobotomy has a mental edge over Kyrgios. He can go from shouting to Brandon Nakashima "You are done!" to tanking an entire match at the flap of a butterfly. Rafa would have to start dominating on Nick's service games repeatedly to have Kyrgios falling there.
That is definitely the key. Rafa knows the lethal serve that Nick has so I know he is going to prepare for that.

The funny thing is we are all talking about the Nick and Rafa match and watch tomorrow when Garin and Fritz upset them both. :lol:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Fritz has a 20 to 30 % chance of beating Nadal ..he did beat him at IW...and he appears to be playing well ...but Fritz seems a bit slow, that didn't hurt him much on a slow court like IW but it will, here..

Am hoping this is Rybakina's breakthrough year..I always loved her game, this year she seems to be delivering..she has a 20% chance of winning the whole thing, she is a better player than anyone here except Halep.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:34 pm
ponchi101 wrote:
Kyrgios WILL make it to the final. Garin simply does not have the grass chops to stop him, and Nadal will not be able to handle Kyrgios' serve with his return position.
In the final, Novak will have a good chance because he stands closer to the baseline and once the point starts, he will be able to frustrate Kyrgios with three or four lunging saves. We are getting to the point in which Darth Vader will be our last and only hope.
If you know what Rafa’s problem is vs Nick, then he knows, so why wouldn’t he adjust his return position? Nick will still have to make a high percentage of first serves. I’m sticking with Rafa, if the match happens.
I'm with you Megan. I am sticking with Rafa. He always seems to figure out how to get the job done in the end. I actually think he is going to win the whole thing.
^ I agree.
It's hard to go against Nadal after the guts and determination he has shown over the years. Like Djokovic, Nadal simply does not see losing as an option - and that's what sets them apart from the rest of the players.

While 'mental strength' is impossible to quantify or measure precisely, it is the most important element at this level.

As for Kyrgios... yes, it seems that he is committed this time around... But how many times have we thought the same thing about him - "Oh, he has matured, and he is showing that he's more committed now", only to see him falter badly in his next match because he can't handle the pressure?

I think it's about the time now that Kyrgios panics and crumples, like he has so often done. The pressure of the quarterfinals or semi-finals of a Major - even if it's an Asterisk Major - will probably spook him enough to be terrified of failing, and the result will be that he'll play even more nervously than usual, and self-destruct again.
Plus the weight of the recent allegations against him will have a negative effect on his tennis, as well, I imagine.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:02 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:34 pm
If you know what Rafa’s problem is vs Nick, then he knows, so why wouldn’t he adjust his return position? Nick will still have to make a high percentage of first serves. I’m sticking with Rafa, if the match happens.
I'm with you Megan. I am sticking with Rafa. He always seems to figure out how to get the job done in the end. I actually think he is going to win the whole thing.
^ I agree.
It's hard to go against Nadal after the guts and determination he has shown over the years. Like Djokovic, Nadal simply does not see losing as an option - and that's what sets them apart from the rest of the players.

While 'mental strength' is impossible to quantify or measure precisely, it is the most important element at this level.

As for Kyrgios... yes, it seems that he is committed this time around... But how many times have we thought the same thing about him - "Oh, he has matured, and he is showing that he's more committed now", only to see him falter badly in his next match because he can't handle the pressure?

I think it's about the time now that Kyrgios panics and crumples, like he has so often done. The pressure of the quarterfinals or semi-finals of a Major - even if it's an Asterisk Major - will probably spook him enough to be terrified of failing, and the result will be that he'll play even more nervously than usual, and self-destruct again.
Plus the weight of the recent allegations against him will have a negative effect on his tennis, as well, I imagine.
I would've agree that occasion could get to Kyrgios, except Nadal is a wrong opponent for this to happen. If there is a player on tour, who Kyrgios craves to beat, it is Nadal. Nadal's past remarks about Kyrgios were maybe fair and all, but in the psychotic mind of Kyrgios, Nadal is a part of "them", the establishment, that he fights in his own mind. The fact that it is in the semis changes nothing, IMO.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote:
Deuce wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:02 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm I'm with you Megan. I am sticking with Rafa. He always seems to figure out how to get the job done in the end. I actually think he is going to win the whole thing.
^ I agree.

I would've agree that occasion could get to Kyrgios, except Nadal is a wrong opponent for this to happen. If there is a player on tour, who Kyrgios craves to beat, it is Nadal. Nadal's past remarks about Kyrgios were maybe fair and all, but in the psychotic mind of Kyrgios, Nadal is a part of "them", the establishment, that he fights in his own mind. The fact that it is in the semis changes nothing, IMO.
I agree with everything everyone has said… and I won’t be surprised by either outcome. But I still give Rafa the edge. Yes, Nick lives for these marquee matchups. But Rafa has won the last 3 and is a different class of competitor. He will know exactly what to do.

Of course, he has to get by Fritz first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

And Nick has to get past Garin.

It is gonna be a great match, but I agree that Nadal will do everything to get the job done in the end and win a tight one.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Tomljanovic wins the 1st set 6-4.

Amanda down a break in the first set.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:09 pm ...

Hadn't thought about that. Yes, it sounds right.
Fritz beat Nadal at IW, with Nadal having a cracked ribs. The second set still went to 7-6. Nobody that reaches a slam QF is a gimme, but I just don't see upsets in either one of those matches. Having said that, technically Kyrgios would be the upset; Garin is the higher ranked player in that match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Amanda having tons of problems in her match. Seems like that 1 & 2 of a couple of weeks ago was not a fluke, it was a pattern.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:10 pm
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:09 pm ...

Hadn't thought about that. Yes, it sounds right.
Fritz beat Nadal at IW, with Nadal having a cracked ribs. The second set still went to 7-6. Nobody that reaches a slam QF is a gimme, but I just don't see upsets in either one of those matches. Having said that, technically Kyrgios would be the upset; Garin is the higher ranked player in that match.
Nothing really would surprise me in the tournament. The men's side has been a little more stable then the women's side, but still have had it's share of upsets. I doubt these two will be part of them, but you never know.

As for the matches now Halep is forces Amanda to make mistakes and it is showing on the scoreboard. I hope Amanda can turn things around in the 2nd set or she will be out quickly.

The Tomljanovic/Rybakina match looks like it is a great one.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am flipping between both matches. Ajla/Elena is not great, but better than Amanda/Simona. At least, it is close.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Amanda is not going away easily. Gets one break back in the 2nd set.

That is what I meant. At least the match is a contest. I am also not watching the Tomljanovic/Rybakina match. I am just scoreboard watching it.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Halep also beat Anisimova 6-1, 6-0 at Roland Garros in 2020.

All that said, if she had not come back from 0-40 in that last game, I'm not sure she would have won today. Thankfully I won't have to worry about it now.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Amanda had three BP, to even the match. 3 UE in a row, 1 W from Halep, 1 more UE from Amanda.
At IW she had three MP against Leylah. She hit 5 consecutive UE's to lose the game, then the set, then retired. Lovely game, all the power in the world, some issues understanding the game.