Grabher
Cornet
Bronzetti
Cristian
Maria
Niemeir

https://badhomburg-open.de/de/spielerinnen/

by ashkor87 Swiatek surfaces!

by Suliso Also Alexandrova is playing every week. Nothing will be left in the tank for a deep run in Wimbledon, I suspect.

by ponchi101 She can pull out if she makes another deep run this week.
Better to sign up for the tournament and then pull out, than not sign up, and be unable to maneuver if she loses early this week.

And, as Ashkor said: she is the kind of good player that maybe will not go far at Wimbledon. But these smaller trophies will round up a good career.

by ti-amie Qualifying Draw

N. Podoroska (1)
vs J. Teichmann
K. Baindl (2) vs K. Volynets

M. Zanevska (3) vs L. Papadakis
C. Liu (4) vs M. Guth

by ti-amie Main Draw Singles

(1) I. Swiatek
vs T. Maria
Qualifier vs Qualifier
A. Parks vs L. Fernandez
S. Lisicki vs (6) L. Zhu

(4) M. Sherif vs A. Friedsam
L. Bronzetti vs J. Grabher
Qualifier vs S. Errani
J. Cristian vs (8) V. Gracheva

(5) B. Andreescu vs S. Kartal
A. Sasnovich vs R. Masarova
M. Trevisan vs A. Cornet
A. Kalinskaya vs (3) D. Vekic

(7) E. Cocciaretto vs K. Siniakova
Qualifier vs E. Rodina
L. Noskova vs A. Blinkova
V. Tomova vs (2) L. Samsonova

by ti-amie Day 3 Order of Play

Centre Court

Starts at 12:00 PM

USA A. PARKS vs CAN L. FERNANDEZ
FOLLOWED BY
EGY M. SHERIF (4)
vs GER A. FRIEDSAM
NOT BEFORE 4:30 PM
CAN B. ANDREESCU (5)
vs GBR S. KARTAL
NOT BEFORE 6:00 PM
POL I. SWIATEK (1)
vs GER T. MARIA

Court 1

ROU J. CRISTIAN vs RUS V. GRACHEVA (8)
FOLLOWED BY
CZE L. NOSKOVA vs UKR K. BAINDL
FOLLOWED BY
SUI J. TEICHMANN vs USA C. LIU
NOT BEFORE 5:00 PM
ITA E. COCCIARETTO (7)
vs CZE K. SINIAKOVA

Court 2

ITA L. BRONZETTI vs AUT J. GRABHER
FOLLOWED BY
USA E. NAVARRO vs CRO D. VEKIC (3)
FOLLOWED BY
UKR N. KICHENOK/POL A. ROSOLSKA (4)
vs CZE A. DETIUC/GEO O. KALASHNIKOVA
FOLLOWED BY
BLR L. MAROZAVA/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS vs NOR U. EIKERI/RUS A. PANOVA

by ashkor87 That is a tough first round for. Swiatek...

by ashkor87 Happy to see Alexandrova resting this week..it means she is serious about Wimbledon (why wouldn't she be?!)

by ashkor87 Looking forward to Andreescu doing well .Samsonova too but I think grass is too fast for her..though her serve will keep her alive in most matches..
Parks too .time she won some matches...I have high hopes for her in future...not this year, probably .

by ti-amie Well at least Lisicki won't have to pick up her own balls...

by skatingfan
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:13 am Well at least Lisicki won't have to pick up her own balls...
Does she know that she has to handle her own towel now?

by ashkor87 What happened to Alycia Parks?

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:13 am Well at least Lisicki won't have to pick up her own balls...
That is the kind of statement that will chase her forever. It was silly.

by ti-amie
skatingfan wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:56 am
The horror! :lol:

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:53 pm
skatingfan wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:56 am
The horror! :lol:
Sabine also has to put up her own umbrellas and get her own water bottles.

You all are monsters. :gorgeous:

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:47 am Happy to see Alexandrova resting this week..it means she is serious about Wimbledon (why wouldn't she be?!)
I know you are high on her, but has she ever made an impact in a big event? She is 28 so she could be nearing her prime, but I still don't see her as much of a factor in majors. She has never been past the third round of a Slam and never past the second at Wimbledon. Four titles in her career, two of them on grass.

by ti-amie Day 4 Order of Play Centre Court

ITA S. ERRANI vs RUS V. GRACHEVA (8)
FOLLOWED BY
FRA A. CORNET vs USA E. NAVARRO
CZE L. NOSKOVA vs RUS L. SAMSONOVA (2)
CAN B. ANDREESCU (5)
vs ESP R. MASAROVA

Court 1

HUN A. BONDAR/ROU J. CRISTIAN vs SVK T. MIHALIKOVA/JPN M. NINOMIYA (3)
FOLLOWED BY
USA S. CHANG/USA A. KULIKOV vs GER A. FRIEDSAM/GER V. HEISEN
FOLLOWED BY
RUS A. BLINKOVA/RUS V. GRACHEVA vs RUS Y. SIZIKOVA/BEL K. ZIMMERMANN (2)

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:39 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:47 am Happy to see Alexandrova resting this week..it means she is serious about Wimbledon (why wouldn't she be?!)
I know you are high on her, but has she ever made an impact in a big event? She is 28 so she could be nearing her prime, but I still don't see her as much of a factor in majors. She has never been past the third round of a Slam and never past the second at Wimbledon. Four titles in her career, two of them on grass.
Well, she is a solid tier 2..equal to Bencic, slightly better than Pegula, certainly better than Badosa, Sakkari, Gauff..as to impact at majors, how much have some of these had (other than Coco's run last year at RG). And 4 titles is twice whar Pegula has, and more than Coco and Sakkari.. it is a matter of perspective ..

by jazzyg I have thought Alexandrova was very talented for a few years now and have been surprised she continually falls on her face in slams.

At some point, her talent should overcome whatever stops her in big events. At least I hope that's the case.

by JTContinental I count that she has played 35 tournaments since January 2022, so she might not be super motivated every week

by ashkor87 btw do you know how many titles the heroine of Breakpoint - Tomljanovic has? exactly 0. so 4 is not bad..

by ponchi101 Devil's advocate.
Who would you have for that show? Iga?
"Yes,IwinallmymatchesandIhavenoproblemswhatsoeveronthetour..."
Iga would have no story to tell. Ajla can talk about being an excellent practitioner of her craft, and still be struggling.

(And I have not seen one single episode, nor I am planning to do so).

And about your point of having 4 tournament wins in a career.
Exactly. We, the public, downplay these achievements as if they meant nothing. And they do; it means a commitment to playing this sport year after year, and only "winning" a few tournaments here and there.

by ashkor87 I have nothing against Tomljanovic..merely pointing out that many good players have won far fewer than Alexandrova ..as to whose story I would like to hear, there must be many interesting ones...I have watched all the Breakpoint episodes..they are ok, good 'time pass' as we say here.

by ashkor87 Btw you may remember, I had predicted T would be the one to send Serena into retirement..she is a solid, professional player

Probably Tier 3 though...

by ti-amie Day 5 Order of Play

Centre Court

CZE K. SINIAKOVA vs RUS E. RODINA
NOT BEFORE 2:00 PM
EGY M. SHERIF (4)
vs ITA L. BRONZETTI
POL I. SWIATEK (1)
vs SUI J. TEICHMANN
CAN L. FERNANDEZ vs RUS A. BLINKOVA (9)

Court 1

EST I. NEEL/TPE F. WU vs USA S. CHANG/USA A. KULIKOV
NOT BEFORE 2:30 PM
CZE M. KOLODZIEJOVA/CZE L. NOSKOVA vs ITA S. ERRANI/ARG N. PODOROSKA
FOLLOWED BY
JPN E. HOZUMI/ROU M. NICULESCU vs RUS Y. SIZIKOVA/BEL K. ZIMMERMANN (2)

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:44 am
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:39 pm
Well, she is a solid tier 2..equal to Bencic, slightly better than Pegula, certainly better than Badosa, Sakkari, Gauff..as to impact at majors, how much have some of these had (other than Coco's run last year at RG). And 4 titles is twice whar Pegula has, and more than Coco and Sakkari.. it is a matter of perspective ..
If she is better than Pegula, why isn't she ranked higher or been deep in any Slams like Pegula has? Alexandrova has had plenty of time. I think Pegula's career is better than Alexandrova's. I'm surprised that Pegula only has 2 titles, but one of them is a 1000. I think you're looking at Alexandrova's potential, not what she actually produces.

Coco's run at RG counts. :) That's the kind of impact I'm talking about. Gauff has gotten farther at every Slam than Alexandrova at a young age. I don't know if Alexandrova is better than Gauff or not, but Gauff's results are better.

I hope Alexandrova has a big moment and maximizes her potential at some point, but I think a lot of players fall into that category.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:21 am I have thought Alexandrova was very talented for a few years now and have been surprised she continually falls on her face in slams.

At some point, her talent should overcome whatever stops her in big events. At least I hope that's the case.
Agree, but then again, that's about everyone in the top 50 who never makes top 10. Everyone out there could be great, with the exception of maybe a few players who are just amazing athletes without the extreme talent level.

by ashkor87 Alexandrova thrashed Coco 4 and 0 just last week in Berlin.

by ashkor87 As to why Pegula is ranked higher, surely it is because the ranking system rewards, not excellence, but consistency - the tour wants players who will show up and play well, week after week- that is Pegula .if they were to actually meet any time soon, I would certainly expect Alexandrova to win.

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:51 pm As to why Pegula is ranked higher, surely it is because the ranking system rewards, not excellence, but consistency - the tour wants players who will show up and play well, week after week- that is Pegula .if they were to actually meet any time soon, I would certainly expect Alexandrova to win.
The only time they met Pegula won easily. I guess you just like Alexandrova much better hence this prediction.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:51 pm As to why Pegula is ranked higher, surely it is because the ranking system rewards, not excellence, but consistency - the tour wants players who will show up and play well, week after week- that is Pegula .if they were to actually meet any time soon, I would certainly expect Alexandrova to win.
Yes, playing well week after week is the tour's definition of excellence. I think that should be the case.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:42 am btw do you know how many titles the heroine of Breakpoint - Tomljanovic has? exactly 0. so 4 is not bad..
Interesting point. They got so lucky that she drew Serena and had that epic match. I have a feeling Netflix followed more players than we see in the show, and some didn't make the cut - at least this season.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:02 pm
Yes, playing well week after week is the tour's definition of excellence. I think that should be the case.
it isnt mine!

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:55 pm
The only time they met Pegula won easily. I guess you just like Alexandrova much better hence this prediction.
'any time soon' means on grass.

by Suliso On grass I agree, but as I see it soon could also be on North American hard in mid August and there I'd favor Pegula. :)

by ti-amie Day 6 Order of Play

Centre Court

ITA L. BRONZETTI vs FRA V. GRACHEVA (8)
FOLLOWED BY
ESP R. MASAROVA vs USA E. NAVARRO
POL I. SWIATEK (1)
vs RUS A. BLINKOVA (9)
CZE K. SINIAKOVA vs RUS L. SAMSONOVA (2)

Court 1

UKR N. KICHENOK/POL A. ROSOLSKA (4) vs BLR L. MAROZAVA/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS
PMNOT BEFORE 2:30
CZE M. KOLODZIEJOVA/CZE L. NOSKOVA vs SVK T. MIHALIKOVA/JPN M. NINOMIYA (3)

by ti-amie Day 7 Order of Play

Centre Court

Starts at 01:00 PM

SUSPENDED
Quarterfinal
CZE K. SINIAKOVA vs RUS L. SAMSONOVA (2)
7 4 0
5 6 0
NOT BEFORE 2:30 PM
Semifinal
POL I. SWIATEK (1) vs ITA L. BRONZETTI
FOLLOWED BY
Semifinal
SVK T. MIHALIKOVA/JPN M. NINOMIYA (3) vs JPN E. HOZUMI/ROU M. NICULESCU
NOT BEFORE 6:30 PM
Semifinal
USA E. NAVARRO vs TBD

Court 1

Semifinal
EST I. NEEL/TPE F. WU vs BLR L. MAROZAVA/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS

by ponchi101 Swiatek withdraws due to "illness".
Message to tournaments the week prior to a slam: DO NOT HOLD A TOURNAMENT. Hold an exo, play two out of three sets, with the last set being a TB, finish on Friday, move your venue within the same area code of the slam.
Because there is no way a top player will play the full week. They will w/o at the semis, if they make it there.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:20 pm Swiatek withdraws due to "illness".
Message to tournaments the week prior to a slam: DO NOT HOLD A TOURNAMENT. Hold an exo, play two out of three sets, with the last set being a TB, finish on Friday, move your venue within the same area code of the slam.
Because there is no way a top player will play the full week. They will w/o at the semis, if they make it there.
Medvedev 2019. :) Maybe he wasn't considered a top player then?

I'm not as cynical as you are, but this would make sense since it's a 250. I wondered why she played a 250. The tournament sold some tickets, she and the fans got a couple matches, but ultimately it didn't benefit her to be there.

I'm not 100% convinced it's fake, though. If it is, I wish they could be honest. "That's enough, I need to rest to have my best chance at Wimbledon."

by ponchi101 I wish I could give the benefit of the doubt, but I think this was exactly the plan. She got three matches in, ended the week on Thursday, did not play today so she would not have to w/o the final which, for the tournament, would be even worse.
And I don't believe for one moment she is ill. She pummeled Blinkova yesterday in 72 minutes. I know, it is Blinkova, but how much longer could a match against Bronzetti take?

by ashkor87 Yes, players are cynically gaming the system...not fair to the tournaments, not fair to their (lesser) opponents, not fair to fans who have paid money to see them.

by jazzyg I cannot stand it when players withdraw from tournaments to get ready for slams, but Swiatek absolutely benefited from her three matches. After a rocky first set against Maria, she played lights out tennis for the next six.

Will it translate to Wimbledon? Hard to say, and she has a potentially tough 1st tound against Zhu. But after struggling mightily on grass in the past, she should be a lot more confident now.

For what it is worth, Ruud played the week before Roland Garros the past two years, so it can be beneficial.

by JTContinental Iga mentioned her illness was GI related and maybe food poisoning, so it is possible she just ate a Bad Homburg-er.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:20 pm Swiatek withdraws due to "illness".
Yes, there were 6 lucky losers in the Eastbourne draw. 

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:26 pm Iga mentioned her illness was GI related and maybe food poisoning, so it is possible she just ate a Bad Homburg-er.
....Which could have also led to a disastrous case of Bad Gastein. :gorgeous:

by JTContinental
lol Alexandrova has already played 35 tournaments in the past 18 months, so she's got the showing up week after week part down.

Just did a quick results check for Wimbledon:

Alexandrova has 2 wins in 5 Wimbledons

Gauff has 8 wins in 4 Wimbledons

Pegula has 3 wins in 3 Wimbledons

by ponchi101 I am amazed that Pegula has played only 3 Wimbledons. I know she has been injured plenty, but that is a very small number of appearances for a player already 28yo.

by ti-amie Day 8 Order of Play

Centre Court

Starts at 01:30 PM

Final
ITA L. BRONZETTI vs CZE K. SINIAKOVA
UPCOMING
Final
BLR L. MAROZAVA/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS vs JPN E. HOZUMI/ROU M. NICULESCU

by ti-amie