A. Ramos-Vinolas (ESP) v H. Hurkacz (POL) 17
LADIES' SINGLES - FIRST ROUND
D. Kasatkina 11 v C. Dolehide (USA)
NOT BEFORE: 4:30PM
GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES - FIRST ROUND
E. Ruusuvuori (FIN) v S. Wawrinka (SUI)

COURT 4 11:00AM

N. Podoroska (ARG) v T. Martincova (CZE)
C. Moutet (FRA) v R. Gasquet (FRA)
R. Masarova (ESP) v M. Sherif (EGY) 31
L. Harris (RSA) v G. Barrere (FRA)

COURT 5 11:00AM

B. Strycova (CZE) v M. Zanevska (BEL)
M. Marterer (GER) v B. Gojo (CRO)
M. Ymer (SWE) v A. Molcan (SVK)
M. Bouzkova (CZE) 32 v S. Waltert (SUI)

COURT 6 11:00AM

S. Baez (ARG) v T. Barrios Vera (CHI)
M. Trevisan (ITA) v S. Sorribes Tormo (ESP)
Q. Zheng (CHN) 24 v K. Siniakova (CZE)
T. Etcheverry (ARG) 29 v B. Zapata Miralles (ESP)

COURT 7 11:00AM

L. Van Assche (FRA) v A. Karatsev
M. Vondrousova (CZE) v P. Stearns (USA)
M. Kecmanovic (SRB) v D. Schwartzman (ARG)
C. Osorio (COL) v E. Cocciaretto (ITA)

COURT 8 11:00AM

A. Parks (USA) v A. Friedsam (GER)
L. Tsurenko (UKR) v C. Liu (USA)
D. Koepfer (GER) v O. Otte (GER)
B. Bonzi (FRA) v H. Mayot (FRA)

COURT 9 11:00AM

J. Thompson (AUS) v B. Nakashima (USA)
S. Hunter (AUS) v X. Wang (CHN)
A. Vukic (AUS) v D. Altmaier (GER)

COURT 10 11:00AM

C. Bucsa (ESP) v K. Rakhimova
J. Wolf (USA) v E. Couacaud (FRA)
R. Safiullin v R. Bautista Agut (ESP) 20

COURT 14 11:00AM

L. Musetti (ITA) 14 v J. Varillas (PER)
K. Baindl (UKR) v L. Fernandez (CAN)
E. Mertens (BEL) 28 v V. Hruncakova (SVK)
B. Coric (CRO) 13 v G. Pella (ARG)

COURT 15 11:00AM

Y. Yuan (CHN) v V. Azarenka 19
L. Broady (GBR) v C. Lestienne (FRA)
A. Bublik (KAZ) 23 v M. McDonald (USA)
NOT BEFORE: 5:30PM
A. Kontaveit (EST) v L. Stefanini (ITA)

COURT 16 11:00AM

L. Fruhvirtova (CZE) v P. Martic (CRO) 30
J. Isner (USA) v J. Munar (ESP)
Y. Nishioka (JPN) 24 v D. Galan (COL)
NOT BEFORE: 5:30PM
S. Stephens (USA) v R. Peterson (SWE)

COURT 17 11:00AM

A. Bogdan (ROU) v L. Samsonova 15
M. Linette (POL) 23 v J. Teichmann (SUI)
J. Choinski (GBR) v D. Lajovic (SRB)
D. Collins (USA) v J. Grabher (AUT)

by skatingfan

by skatingfan Really enjoying the behind the scenes channel - currently watching Novak & his team play a board game - looked like Sorry.

by JTContinental Don't look now, but Alycia Parks is up a set and a break in her first round match.

Other notable early results: Azarenka up a set and 3-3, Martic squeaks out the first set against Fruhvirtova, Samsonova loses the first set tiebreak to Bodgan

by JTContinental Yuan converts her 2nd set point to level the match with Azarenka.

by patrick
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:13 am Don't look now, but Alycia Parks is up a set and a break in her first round match.

Other notable early results: Azarenka up a set and 3-3, Martic squeaks out the first set against Fruhvirtova, Samsonova loses the first set tiebreak to Bodgan
Now, Parks win a match when I traded her out

by ashkor87 Good to see Parks win..I have high hopes of her, in future

by Owendonovan Is it me or are there more 3 setters than usual for the ladies?

by JTContinental Samsonova out in straight sets

Pegula wins in three--she is not a good grass court player, but she willed herself to that victory

by JTContinental
patrick wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:15 pm
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:13 am Don't look now, but Alycia Parks is up a set and a break in her first round match.

Now, Parks win a match when I traded her out
And now she gets Bogdan next instead of Samsonova

by JTContinental Fruhvirtova won the second set vs Martic, but took a nasty fall in the process. She retired down 1-4 in the third.

by Suliso Samsonova losing is a slight surprise. Grass is not her thing, I guess.

by jazzyg Samsonova came on the radar with a 10-match winning streak on grass in 2021, getting her first career title in Berlin as a qualifier and then reaching the fourth round at Wimbledon.

But she won her last round of qualifying in Berlin in a third-set tiebreak. It may be a case of her getting randomly hot at the time and not having the game to sustain it on grass. If she had lost that qualifying match, she never would have gotten past the quarterfinals of a grass event in her career.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:18 pm Good to see Parks win..I have high hopes of her, in future
You are on record saying that she was a future Wimbledon champ. The style of game seems appropriate enough.
1 down, six more to go.

by ponchi101 What happened to Fruhvirtova? Retired in the 3rd Vs Martic, who is not at her best on grass.

by ponchi101 Showing images of Novak during this rain delay.
Hard to have ever seen a man so unworried while playing a tennis match. He probably could not spell the words "defeat" or "loss" at the moment.

by jazzyg
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:05 pm What happened to Fruhvirtova? Retired in the 3rd Vs Martic, who is not at her best on grass.
JT Continental explained it on the first page. Suffered a bad fall during the second set.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:36 pm Samsonova out in straight sets

Pegula wins in three--she is not a good grass court player, but she willed herself to that victory
She said she got tentative, especially with her serve, in the second set due to the gusty wind, and then made the correction in the third set and went for her serves more. She also said Davis is a tricky player on grass. She's short and loves Pegula's low, flat ball.

by meganfernandez Mmon up 2 sets to 1 on FAA. All three sets tiebreaks. They were 4-4 in the third-set breaker and Mmoh out-steadied Felix.

What a bad year for FAA so far.

by meganfernandez Who makes tennis look easy to you? For me, it's Kenin. So smooth, smart and instinctual when she is on. I'm enjoying this Gauff match.

by meganfernandez FAA double-faulted on match point to lose to Mmoh.

Minor controversy to end the Venus-Svitolina match. Svitolina's return landed on the baseline right at Venus's feet but was called out. Venus made contact but the ball just ricocheted off her racket to the side of the court. Svitolina challenged and it was overturned, and the chair called GSM, didn't let Venus replay it. Venus laughed in disbelief and was shaking her head at her chair. Svitolina looked a little dismayed at the net.

by jazzyg It was the right call.

Tough way to end a match, but the call on the court was late and came after Venus made contact with the ball.

by Suliso Out goes Coco. Not particularly surprising given the opponent. Also so far grass is her weakest surface (statistically).

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:40 pm Out goes Coco. Not particularly surprising given the opponent. Also so far grass is her weakest surface (statistically).
Chrissie called it the "match of Kenin's life" and that she played better than she did to win the Australian. I'm not so sure... I watched most of this match and remember Australia. She played so well to beat Muguruza in the final.

It's lovely to see Kenin back in form. She picked on Coco's FH. It was a high-quality match.

It has to suck when your sponsors build campaigns around you and you disappoint them in the first round. And I'm sure she knows her sponsors and team are waiting for her to win a Slam. At least she has broken through to the final. But R1 stings. Bad draw but Coco could have won the match.

by jazzyg Chris Evert just said Kenin played better than she did in winning the Australian Open.

I like Evert as a human, but she utters the most off base ommentary of any announcer I've ever heard. This is just the latest example on hundreds, like when she labeled Bouchard the favorite over Kvitova at the beginning of their Wimbledon final. There were some brilliant points today and Kenin played well, but Gauff is nowhere close to as good as Muguruza was when they met in the Aussie Open final. Kenin's forehand is balky, but just not as balky as Gauff's. I would not be surprised if Kenin loses to Wang in the next round. She does not have the built-in confidence of winning a series of matches yet.

by mick1303 Bublik broke the Halle curse )

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:21 pm FAA double-faulted on match point to lose to Mmoh.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:00 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:18 pm Good to see Parks win..I have high hopes of her, in future
You are on record saying that she was a future Wimbledon champ. The style of game seems appropriate enough.
1 down, six more to go.
Alexandrova vs. Parks in the final. :gorgeous:

by skatingfan Seems like a lot of matches being suspended today.

by ti-amie
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:48 pm Chris Evert just said Kenin played better than she did in winning the Australian Open.

I like Evert as a human, but she utters the most off base ommentary of any announcer I've ever heard. This is just the latest example on hundreds, like when she labeled Bouchard the favorite over Kvitova at the beginning of their Wimbledon final. There were some brilliant points today and Kenin played well, but Gauff is nowhere close to as good as Muguruza was when they met in the Aussie Open final. Kenin's forehand is balky, but just not as balky as Gauff's. I would not be surprised if Kenin loses to Wang in the next round. She does not have the built-in confidence of winning a series of matches yet.
There was a "s*itChrissieSays" hashtag for a reason.

by ti-amie Ed Salmon
@fogmount@mas.to
Play on the outside courts at #Wimbledon is suspended due to darkness.

Hanfmann and Fritz are at 4-6 6-2 6-4 5-7 *2-3;
Bautista Agut leads Safiullin, 6-2 6-7 7-6;
Halys leads Evans, 6-2 6-3;
Zapata Miralles leads Etcheverry, 7-6 7-5 3-6;
Collins leads Grabher, 6-4;
Mayot leads Bonzi, 6-3 5-3*;
Pella leads Coric, 6-3 4-4;
Albot leads Shapovalov, 7-5 2-2.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good.

by skatingfan Evert's comment about Kenin's level of play was not well thought out.

by ti-amie Waiting for the revisions to tomorrows order of play.

by Owendonovan
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:40 pm Out goes Coco. Not particularly surprising given the opponent. Also so far grass is her weakest surface (statistically).
Chrissie called it the "match of Kenin's life" and that she played better than she did to win the Australian. I'm not so sure... I watched most of this match and remember Australia. She played so well to beat Muguruza in the final.

It's lovely to see Kenin back in form. She picked on Coco's FH. It was a high-quality match.

It has to suck when your sponsors build campaigns around you and you disappoint them in the first round. And I'm sure she knows her sponsors and team are waiting for her to win a Slam. At least she has broken through to the final. But R1 stings. Bad draw but Coco could have won the match.
There's so much talk of Coco's forehand, I bet it's so far in her head right now, you'd be a fool not to pick on it.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:47 pm Who makes tennis look easy to you? For me, it's Kenin. So smooth, smart and instinctual when she is on. I'm enjoying this Gauff match.
Yes, Kenin is a natural...her ability to take the ball on the rise is astounding..she oozes class. I am not surprised she beat Coco..

by Owendonovan Are we ever going to see Venus play here again? When do the wildcards run out?

by patrick Williams has unlimited wildcards as she won 7 Slams

by meganfernandez
skatingfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:11 pm Evert's comment about Kenin's level of play was not well thought out.
She doubled down on it. Her partner said, "Even better than in Australia?" and she paused and said, "Yes."

by meganfernandez
Owendonovan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:57 pm

There's so much talk of Coco's forehand, I bet it's so far in her head right now, you'd be a fool not to pick on it.
Stubbs and Shriver did a great analysis of it after the match, with a racket for demo. Stubbs believes the problem is her wide stance more than the grip. She says the grip is tricky, but Iga handles it well because she accellerates through the shot, whereas Coco doesn't from her wide base. Stubbs says once Coco lands in her wide base, she gets stagnant and doesn't get enough racket head speed and struggles to time it.

by ashkor87

actually, I think Evert's comments are easy to understand - when you have gone on record saying Coco is great, you are forced to justify yourself with all these excuses... I have stopped playing SP for exactly this reason - I get too focused on how my picks are doing, rather than enjoying the tennis itself..

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 am

Stubbs and Shriver did a great analysis of it after the match, with a racket for demo. Stubbs believes the problem is her wide stance more than the grip. She says the grip is tricky, but Iga handles it well because she accellerates through the shot, whereas Coco doesn't from her wide base. Stubbs says once Coco lands in her wide base, she gets stagnant and doesn't get enough racket head speed and struggles to time it.
that is a pretty good analysis, actually - when Coco hits her forehand, she doesnt give herself enough room to get racket head speed - that is another way of describing it.