ATP 500 WTA 500 Washington DC 7/31-8/6 2023

To talk about both tours
nelslus United States of America

Re: ATP 500 WTA 500 Washington DC 7/31-8/6 2023

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:09 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:33 pm Can we agree that you truly don't like her? I can't recall any Pegula fans here; we simply say that she is a solid player, and that she has reached a very high ranking. Will she win here? I doubt it; it is a very even field. Can she make the semis? Very possible.
From my side: the few times I have seen her play, Jessica is a fine player, but nothing about that game impresses me. SO, having reached #3 in the rankings, I say she has overachieved. And she may win a few more tournaments in her career. This might be one.
I'm a Pegula fan. I think she has a nice all-court game, a lot of power, nice touch at net, a lot of composure, but hasn't been able to close some big matches. Hopefully she will close a few more before she hangs it up. I think she will keep putting herself in position for a while.
....There's actually....tee-hee....a TAT Pegula Fan?!?! My TAT Troll Heart now bursts from Ecstasy. :gorgeous: Bake them toll house cookies and put out those fold out chairs, 'cause The President Megan's Jessica Pegula Fan Club is about to commence. :bananas:

PS: I recently was able to watch the third set of the Pegula Wimbledon QF loss (even I didn't have the heart to watch the whole match), via ESPN-Plus. It actually was sad watching how Jessica blew her third set 4-1, game point for 5-1 lead. She just got so tentative- multiple times starting to move towards the net, then backing up- blowing these points, of course, with being in no-man's land. (OF course, Vondroušová did play some excellent tennis at that time. But, still....) Certainly, at least, Jessica will soon get to a Slam singles SF.....
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:32 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:33 pm Can we agree that you truly don't like her? I can't recall any Pegula fans here; we simply say that she is a solid player, and that she has reached a very high ranking. Will she win here? I doubt it; it is a very even field. Can she make the semis? Very possible.
From my side: the few times I have seen her play, Jessica is a fine player, but nothing about that game impresses me. SO, having reached #3 in the rankings, I say she has overachieved. And she may win a few more tournaments in her career. This might be one.
I'm a Pegula fan. I think she has a nice all-court game, a lot of power, nice touch at net, a lot of composure, but hasn't been able to close some big matches. Hopefully she will close a few more before she hangs it up. I think she will keep putting herself in position for a while.
PS: I recently was able to watch the third set of the Pegula Wimbledon QF loss (even I didn't have the heart to watch the whole match), via ESPN-Plus. It actually was sad watching how Jessica blew her third set 4-1, game point for 5-1 lead. She just got so tentative- multiple times starting to move towards the net, then backing up- blowing these points, of course, with being in no-man's land. (OF course, Vondroušová did play some excellent tennis at that time. But, still....) Certainly, at least, Jessica will soon get to a Slam singles SF.....
Confidence... she will have to force herself to play fearlessly in the big moments.

Am I really the only TAT Pegula fan who will come forward? I'm sure there are a few more. She has a great personality, too. I think she will be in Vogue or some other big publication in August. Caitlin Thompson spend some significant time with her to report a long story. She didn't name the publication, but I'm thinking Vogue or the NYT Magazine. Not Racquet.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Confidence... she will have to force herself to play fearlessly in the big moments.
For sure. "Big 3" talk and all that- the window for winning a singles Slam title sure seems to be wide open for so many WTA players. Act on this opportunity now.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Am I really the only TAT Pegula fan who will come forward? I'm sure there are a few more. She has a great personality, too. I think she will be in Vogue or some other big publication in August. Caitlin Thompson spend some significant time with her to report a long story. She didn't name the publication, but I'm thinking Vogue or the NYT Magazine. Not Racquet.
....I think it's less TAT-risky to come out as a Novak fan. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm ...

I have nothing against her, and nothing but respect; she reminds me a bit of David Ferrer, a consummate professional to me, but her game simply does not click any buttons for me.
Now you know how it felt to be a Pete Fan in the 1990's ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I actually like Pegula. She doesn't have superstar skills but outside of Iga not many WTA players do. I think someone here said at big tournaments you have to get past her and if she is playing what is her "A" game that can be a difficult ask.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:42 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm ...

I have nothing against her, and nothing but respect; she reminds me a bit of David Ferrer, a consummate professional to me, but her game simply does not click any buttons for me.
Now you know how it felt to be a Pete Fan in the 1990's ;)
:lol: Pete was demonstrably great - you don't think he got any respect? My friend always says, "Pete is my GOAT." I like a shotmaker, and I think Pegula comes up with some big stuff. That's partly why I like her. And she has exceeded my expectations. And I like her personality.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Pegula was a point away from a 5-1 lead in the Wimbledon quarterfinals against the eventual champion.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:38 pm :lol: Pete was demonstrably great - you don't think he got any respect? My friend always says, "Pete is my GOAT." I like a shotmaker, and I think Pegula comes up with some big stuff. That's partly why I like her. And she has exceeded my expectations. And I like her personality.
I think most fans respected Pete, but cheered for any but most of the times he played because he was so bland to watch.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

100% agree.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

On hard courts in general I would rank the women as follows:
1. Rybakina
2. Swiatek
3. Sabalenka
4. Jabeur
5 Bencic
6. Vondrousova
7. Kvitova
8. Krejcikova
9. Alexandrova
10 Pegula
11 Samsonova
12. Kasatkina
As of now anyway...
Pegula is in the top 10 but not top 5

Post by nelslus »

skatingfan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:03 am
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:38 pm :lol: Pete was demonstrably great - you don't think he got any respect? My friend always says, "Pete is my GOAT." I like a shotmaker, and I think Pegula comes up with some big stuff. That's partly why I like her. And she has exceeded my expectations. And I like her personality.
I think most fans respected Pete, but cheered for any but most of the times he played because he was so bland to watch.
Pete was/is also bland to talk about. And write about. And think about. (Etc., etc.) :gorgeous:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

As for not liking Pegula, there is nothing about her not to like. We are talking about her tennis ability- I think she is good, tier 2, not great, not tier 1..that is all. Whether she makes the cover of Vogue simply does not interest me- tennis is what we are discussing.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:17 am
skatingfan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:03 am
Pete was/is also bland to talk about. And write about. And think about. (Etc., etc.) :gorgeous:
And one of the reasons this sport is so great. You say he was bland to watch. I thought he was extremely exciting. The serves that would leave the other player frozen. The slam dunks (nobody else had that shot). The running FH was a superb shot.
And yet, we are talking about the same player, but it is as if we were watching two different ones.
I guess, just tastes.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

First time I saw Pete, I was stunned, I couldnt believe he could hit so flat and hard and get away with it.. actually, I thought he will fade, he will never be able to keep doing it.. but he did!