(WC)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)

by ti-amie It's being reported that both Gauff and Pegula have withdrawn.

by ponchi101 Coco? Sure.
Jessie? Why?

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:06 am It's being reported that both Gauff and Pegula have withdrawn.
My guess is she wants a longer break before the last push to the year-end championships.

by ashkor87 Isn't Pegula defending champ ?

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:Isn't Pegula defending champ ?
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ashkor87 I thought she did seem a bit unwell in her match against Keys...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:I thought she did seem a bit unwell in her match against Keys...
It was either the worst bad day ever, or she was sick or hurt or something was off.

by ti-amie UPDATED MD Singles Entry List

1 Swiatek, Iga (POL)
3 Pegula, Jessica (USA)

4 Rybakina, Elena (KAZ)
5 Jabeur, Ons (TUN)
6 Gauff, Coco (USA)
7 Garcia, Caroline (FRA)
8 Sakkari, Maria (GRE)
11 Kvitova, Petra (CZE)
13 Kasatkina, Daria (RUS)
14 Brady, Jennifer (USA) SR
15 Bencic, Belinda (SUI)
16 Kudermetova, Veronika (RUS)
17 Keys, Madison (USA)
18 Azarenka, Victoria (BLR)
19 Haddad Maia, Beatriz (BRA)
20 Ostapenko, Jelena (LAT)
22 Alexandrova, Ekaterina (RUS)
25 Pliskova, Karolina (CZE)
27 Potapova, Anastasia (RUS)
28 Kalinina, Anhelina (UKR)
29 Cocciaretto, Elisabetta (ITA)
31 Bouzkova, Marie (CZE)
32 Mertens, Elise (BEL)
33 Sherif, Mayar (EGY)
34 Collins, Danielle (USA)
35 Paolini, Jasmine (ITA)
37 Kostyuk, Marta (UKR)
38 Stephens, Sloane (USA)
43 Parks, Alycia (USA)
44 Rus, Arantxa (NED)
46 Badosa, Paula (ESP)
50 Davis, Lauren (USA)
51 Andreescu, Bianca (CAN)
52 Giorgi, Camila (ITA)
53 Trevisan, Martina (ITA)
57 Navarro, Emma (USA)
58 Stearns, Peyton (USA)
61 Pera, Bernarda (USA)
66 Osorio, Camila (COL)
68 Sasnovich, Aliaksandra (BLR)
70 Bucsa, Cristina (ESP)
72 Fernandez, Leylah (CAN)
74 Masarova, Rebeka (ESP)
75 Frech, Magdalena (POL)

by ti-amie WC's have been given to Tomljanovic and Bouchard.

by ponchi101 Bouchard? What about the pickleball? 🤨

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:36 pm Bouchard? What about the pickleball? 🤨
:lol:

by Jeff from TX
ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:47 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:36 pm Bouchard? What about the pickleball? 🤨
:lol:
That's next season!

by ti-amie Qualifying Draw

A. Li (1
) vs J. Failla
M. Niculescu vs K. Scott (10)

P. Kudermetova (2) vs V. Lepchenko
V. Rodriguez (WC) vs A. Muhammad (14)

S. Vickery (3) vs A. Smith
E. Shibahara vs W. Osuigwe (15)

E. Kalieva (4) vs A. Guarachi
D. Schuurs vs I. Shinikova (9)

J. Fett (5) vs U. Eikeri
N. Melichar-Martinez vs G. Min (12)

N. Stevanovic (6) vs S. Sewing
M. Navarro Oliva (WC) vs M. Mateas (13)

C. Zhao (7) vs E. Perez
O. Kalashnikova (ALT) vs R. Kingsley (11)

A. Tikhonova (8) vs V. Miroshnichenko
A. Sánchez vs M. Herazo Gonzalez (16)

by ti-amie Main Draw Singles

TUN O. Jabeur (1)
/BYE
USA L. Davis vs USA A. Parks
Qualifier vs ITA M. Trevisan
USA L. Chirico vs ITA J. Paolini (15)

BRA B. Haddad Maia (9) vs USA D. Collins
USA C. Dolehide vs USA P. Stearns
COL C. Osorio vs POL M. Frech
BYE/RUS E. Alexandrova (8)

USA M. Keys (4)/BYE
USA E. Navarro vs Qualifier
CAN L. Fernandez vs Qualifier
BEL Y. Wickmayer vs BEL E. Mertens (13)

UKR A. Kalinina (12) vs Qualifier
USA S. Kenin vs Qualifier
UKR M. Kostyuk vs CAN S. Fung
BYE/LAT J. Ostapenko (6)

RUS V. Kudermetova (7)/BYE
MEX R. Zarazua vs CAN E. Bouchard
Qualifier vs UKR D. Yastremska
USA R. Montgomery vs BLR V. Azarenka (10)

CZE K. Pliskova (16) vs Qualifier
USA H. Baptiste vs MEX L. Fernandez Olivares
BLR A. Sasnovich vs NED A. Rus
BYE/FRA C. Garcia (3)

SUI B. Bencic (5)/BYE
AUS A. Tomljanovic vs USA T. Townsend
USA S. Stephens vs Qualifier
COL E. Arango vs RUS A. Potapova (11)

EGY M. Sherif (14) vs ITA C. Giorgi
FRA K. Mladenovic vs ESP C. Bucsa
AUS S. Hunter vs BLR I. Shymanovich
BYE/GRE M. Sakkari (2)

by ti-amie Some people are upset that this is the draw for a WTA 1000 but this is what you get when your scheduling is crap.

by ponchi101 It's a 1000, and you have only two former Slam Champs. Kenin and Stephens, with Kenin winning hers in 2020.
Yes, this is no good.

by ashkor87 Rybakina not playing? she needs some matches..

by ashkor87 i thought WTA guarantees a certan number of top 10 players to every 1000 level tournament? Not so?

by meganfernandez Surprised Krejcikova isn't riding her momentum given this weak field. I know she played both dubs and singles, but she played dubs because she felt she needed matches. So why pass up a 1000 in a city so close to San Diego?

She said quite a few times how much she likes San Diego, the hotel they stay at, etc. Sometimes we underestimate (and don't know) how much a player's comfort level at a site affects their performance.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:34 pm i thought WTA guarantees a certan number of top 10 players to every 1000 level tournament? Not so?
Maybe the can pay a fee if they can't get the numbers. I've never understood how they can force anyone to play a tournament, ultimately. I know players can take 0 points for an event they were required to enter and forfeit bonus money for the year, and that's some leverage. Points more than the money for top players.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:27 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:34 pm i thought WTA guarantees a certan number of top 10 players to every 1000 level tournament? Not so?
Maybe the can pay a fee if they can't get the numbers. I've never understood how they can force anyone to play a tournament, ultimately. I know players can take 0 points for an event they were required to enter and forfeit bonus money for the year, and that's some leverage. Points more than the money for top players.
I remember Sampras was once 'designated' to play a tournament to make up the numbers.. he promptly lost in the first round, so it can be done.. the WTA has contractual rights with players to enforce these things.. maybe they dont care enough about 'non-mandatory' tournaments..

by ashkor87 From the WTA rule book (see pg 17)

B. TOP 10 PLAYER DELIVERY
1. Fulfillment
If a Tournament has met its material obligations to the WTA pursuant to
these Rules, then the WTA is obligated to:
a. provide the applicable number of players whose WTA Singles
Ranking is 1-10 at the Tournament’s Main Draw entry deadline (“Top
10 Players”) to play in the Tournament (“Top 10 Player Delivery”); or if
WTA fails to fulfill the applicable Top 10 Player Delivery requirement,
then
b. pay out of the Bonus Pool Fund the applicable compensation payment
for missed Top 10 Player Delivery as set forth in the following table:
Tournament
Category
Top 10 Player Delivery Tournament Compensation for
Missed Top 10 Player Delivery
WTA 1000
Mandatory*
10 of Top 10
9 of Top 10
8 of Top 10
7 (or less) of Top 10
$0
$100,000
$250,000
$500,000
WTA 1000
Non-Mandatory
7 of Top 10
6 of Top 10
5 of Top 10
4 of Top 10

the amounts are in the rulebook..

so the WTA ends up paying compensation if they cannot deliver 7 of the top 10 players to a Non-mandatory event and 10 out of 10 to a mandatory!

by ashkor87 From videos of last year, court appears medium to fast...will help folks like Bencic,alexandrova ..I don't expect Jabeur to have recovered fully. Too bad the big 3 are not playing...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:27 pm
I remember Sampras was once 'designated' to play a tournament to make up the numbers.. he promptly lost in the first round, so it can be done.. the WTA has contractual rights with players to enforce these things.. maybe they dont care enough about 'non-mandatory' tournaments..
I read some of the rule book and they can’t really force someone - they can just dock them points and bonus money. Maybe with enough infractions they can suspend a player, but I doubt it ever comes to that.

Oh I didn’t see your post about the rule book. This makes sense. If players miss obligations, the tour uses their bonus money to pay tournaments.

by meganfernandez Mladenovic lost 0 and 0 to Busca. Crazy how far she has fallen n 4-5 years, since she beat Mugu at the French in 2017 and single-handedly won the Fed Cup by beating Australia at home in 2019. Australia had Barty and Stosur the year Barty won the French and the WTA Finals.

Bouchard made good on her wild card, unfortunately at the expense of Mexico’s top female player, Renata Zarazua.

by ti-amie Day 4 Order of Play

Estadio Akron de Tenis Starts at 11:00 AM

USA R. MONTGOMERY vs BLR V. AZARENKA (10)
FOLLOWED BY
CZE K. PLISKOVA (16)
vs USA H. BAPTISTE
NOT BEFORE 3:00 PM
RUS V. KUDERMETOVA (7)
vs CAN E. BOUCHARD
NOT BEFORE 6:00 PM
BRA B. HADDAD MAIA (9)
vs USA D. COLLINS
FOLLOWED BY
SUI B. BENCIC (5)
vs USA T. TOWNSEND

Grandstand Caliente Starts at 11:00 AM

EGY M. SHERIF (14)
vs ITA C. GIORGI
FOLLOWED BY
ITA M. TREVISAN vs ITA J. PAOLINI (15)
FOLLOWED BY
COL E. ARANGO vs RUS A. POTAPOVA (11)
NOT BEFORE 4:30 PM
USA S. KENIN vs CAN C. ZHAO
FOLLOWED BY
UKR L. KICHENOK/NED A. RUS vs RUS V. MIROSHNICHENKO/MEX R. ZARAZUA

Court 1 Starts at 11:00 AM

USA C. DOLEHIDE vs USA P. STEARNS
FOLLOWED BY
USA E. NAVARRO vs USA M. MATEAS
FOLLOWED BY
USA L. DAVIS/USA R. MONTGOMERY vs CHI A. GUARACHI/ROU M. NICULESCU
FOLLOWED BY
NOR U. EIKERI/EST I. NEEL vs COL M. PEREZ GARCIA/USA S. SEWING
FOLLOWED BY
USA B. MATTEK-SANDS/FRA K. MLADENOVIC vs GEO O. KALASHNIKOVA/CZE M. KOLODZIEJOVA

Court 3 Starts at 11:00 AM

AUS S. HUNTER vs BLR I. SHYMANOVICH
FOLLOWED BY
UKR M. KOSTYUK vs CAN S. FUNG
FOLLOWED BY
ESP C. BUCSA/BLR I. SHYMANOVICH vs JPN M. KATO/INA A. SUTJIADI (8)

Court 2 Starts at 11:00 AM

COL C. OSORIO vs POL M. FRECH
FOLLOWED BY
KAZ A. DANILINA/CHN Z. YANG (7)
vs USA A. PARKS/BEL Y. WICKMAYER
NOT BEFORE 2:00 PM
POL M. FRECH/UKR D. YASTREMSKA vs USA C. DOLEHIDE/USA A. MUHAMMAD
FOLLOWED BY
USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (6)
vs ITA J. PAOLINI/EGY M. SHERIF

by ashkor87 Parks has a nice draw..even Jabeur is not fully ready. .hope she can make the most of it...

by ashkor87 Maybe time to talk about the Big 4. Coco has done enough to be included.. though I would want to see one more big result.. 1000 or YEC....

by ashkor87 Guadalajara is presumably like te hardcourt version of Madrid.. court not especially fast but ball flying because of altitude..? must be hard on the lungs too..

by ashkor87 Altitude at Guadalajara is around 6000 feet, versus 2000 at Madrid.. according to wiki.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:Maybe time to talk about the Big 4. Coco has done enough to be included.. though I would want to see one more big result.. 1000 or YEC....
There’s no Big Anything in the WTA. :)

Coco had a blazing summer and it was legit. We saw her level - it is impressive. I expect she will maintain a higher average level than she did before, but might not win another Slam for awhile. Only because I expect Iga and Sabalenka to continue to dominate. Rybakina is too inconsistent. She might pop in and out of finals and is always a threat but she isn’t consistent.

by ponchi101 Only part I disagree with Megan is that Iga and Sabalenka will NOT continue to dominate, because nobody is dominating anything in the WTA. We had 4 Slam winners this year, three of them first timers, and seven different finalists, 4 of them first timers.
We have had 10 new winners in the last 15 slams.
If you don' like parity, the WTA is not for you. And in January, with Osaka coming back just expect one more option in the mix. She will be competitive, but I doubt it will be an automatic domination from her.
As Megan says: there is no Big Anything in the WTA. Just a lot of evenly matches players.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:18 pm Only part I disagree with Megan is that Iga and Sabalenka will NOT continue to dominate, because nobody is dominating anything in the WTA. We had 4 Slam winners this year, three of them first timers, and seven different finalists, 4 of them first timers.
If you don' like parity, the WTA is not for you. And in January, with Osaka coming back just expect one more option in the mix. She will be competitive, but I doubt it will be an automatic domination from her.
As Megan says: there is no Big Anything in the WTA. Just a lot of evenly matches players.
The bolded part is spot on.

And Megan is right. There is no big anything in the WTA.

by JTContinental Sascha Vickery takes BHM's place in the draw after she suffered a freak injury in her hotel room, horrifyingly detailed in the Injury and Illness thread

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:42 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:18 pm Only part I disagree with Megan is that Iga and Sabalenka will NOT continue to dominate, because nobody is dominating anything in the WTA. We had 4 Slam winners this year, three of them first timers, and seven different finalists, 4 of them first timers.
The bolded part is spot on.

And Megan is right. There is no big anything in the WTA.
Big Something requires a few years of dominance, I think. Iga can still get there, Sabalenka is getting there. But we shouldn't turn to that phrase lightly. The ATP has a Big 2 right now, I guess.

I expect Iga to start dominating again, if not as much because Sabalenka and Gauff have improved, but still winning most of those matchups and continually going deep in tournaments.

I don't know what to expect of Osaka. Not much until maybe the US Open. So many unknowns. Or she could make a deep run at the Aussie and IW with renewed interest.

Back to Guadalajara? Dolehide took out Peyston Stearns in a 3-TB match.

by ponchi101 Two time champ at Melbourne, on courts that fit her game fantastically. I think Naomi will come back and be a force to reckon with immediately, ON HARD COURTS. Not saying she will win the Aussie (although I will not rule it out) but if she is a floater and is non-seeded, a lot of people better beware.

by ti-amie Day 5 Order of Play

Estadio Akron de Tenis Starts at 12:00 PM

BLR A. SASNOVICH vs FRA C. GARCIA (3)
FOLLOWED BY
UKR D. YASTREMSKA vs BLR V. AZARENKA (10)
TUN O. JABEUR (1)
vs USA A. PARKS
AUS S. HUNTER vs GRE M. SAKKARI (2)
FOLLOWED BY
USA M. KEYS (4)
vs USA E. NAVARRO

Grandstand Caliente Starts at 12:00 PM

USA S. STEPHENS vs COL E. ARANGO
FOLLOWED BY
POL M. FRECH vs RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (8)
FOLLOWED BY
CAN L. FERNANDEZ vs BEL E. MERTENS (13)
UKR M. KOSTYUK vs LAT J. OSTAPENKO (6)
FOLLOWED BY
TUN O. JABEUR/USA P. STEARNS vs CAN L. FERNANDEZ/USA T. TOWNSEND (2)

Court 1 Starts at 12:00 PM

ITA C. GIORGI vs ESP C. BUCSA
UKR A. KALININA (12)
vs USA S. KENIN
FOLLOWED BY
TBD vs USA C. DOLEHIDE
FOLLOWED BY
TBD vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (3)
FOLLOWED BY
USA A. KULIKOV/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS vs USA D. COLLINS/NED D. SCHUURS

Court 2 Starts at 02:00 PM

CHI A. GUARACHI/ROU M. NICULESCU vs RUS V. KUDERMETOVA/RUS A. POTAPOVA
FOLLOWED BY
CAN E. BOUCHARD/MEX M. NAVARRO OLIVA vs SVK T. MIHALIKOVA/CHN Y. XU
FOLLOWED BY
USA A. PARKS/BEL Y. WICKMAYER vs TBD

by ashkor87 Meanwhile, the tournament has been hit with a spate of withdrawals - latest being Bencic (gastro trouble i gather - that will teach her to eat enchiladas on an empty stomach)

by JTContinental 10 Americans made the second round

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:50 am 10 Americans made the second round
And only 2 of them were byes! Unseeded American Elvina Kalieva, ranked #182, got a first-round bye - I assume she is a lucky loser for Haddad Mia. The luckiest... $17.000 and 60 points for losing the right match. Domi Schuurs beat her in the last round of qualifying, drew Trevisan, and lost 0 and 2. Kalieva's match vs Townsend was suspended last night with TT up a set and it's 5-5 in the second. If Kalieva comes back and wins, she will go from $7,600 and 30 points in qualifying to $31,000 and 105 points for R3.

by skatingfan
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:43 pm And only 2 of them were byes! Unseeded American Elvina Kalieva, ranked #182, got a first-round bye - I assume she is a lucky loser for Haddad Mia. The luckiest... $17.000 and 60 points for losing the right match. Domi Schuurs beat her in the last round of qualifying, drew Trevisan, and lost 0 and 2. Kalieva's match vs Townsend was suspended last night with TT up a set and it's 5-5 in the second. If Kalieva comes back and wins, she will go from $7,600 and 30 points in qualifying to $31,000 and 105 points for R3.
I think you've got ATP points confused with the WTA. For losing in final round of qualifying Kalieva got 20 points, and if she loses in the opening match she'll get an additional 10 points, and if she wins she gets an additional 120 points.

by meganfernandez
skatingfan wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:52 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:43 pm And only 2 of them were byes! Unseeded American Elvina Kalieva, ranked #182, got a first-round bye - I assume she is a lucky loser for Haddad Mia. The luckiest... $17.000 and 60 points for losing the right match. Domi Schuurs beat her in the last round of qualifying, drew Trevisan, and lost 0 and 2. Kalieva's match vs Townsend was suspended last night with TT up a set and it's 5-5 in the second. If Kalieva comes back and wins, she will go from $7,600 and 30 points in qualifying to $31,000 and 105 points for R3.
I think you've got ATP points confused with the WTA. For losing in final round of qualifying Kalieva got 20 points, and if she loses in the opening match she'll get an additional 10 points, and if she wins she gets an additional 120 points.
You're right about 20 points for losing in the final round of qualifying. But for the main draw, R1 losers get 1 additional point and R2 losers get 60. That's per the Guadalajara draw sheet. She got a bye into R2 because she took BHM's spot in the draw, and she had a bye. So does a ll who gets a bye automatically get R2 prize money and points, or do they get R1 (assuming they lose their R2 match)?

by skatingfan
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:18 am You're right about 20 points for losing in the final round of qualifying. But for the main draw, R1 losers get 1 additional point and R2 losers get 60. That's per the Guadalajara draw sheet. She got a bye into R2 because she took BHM's spot in the draw, and she had a bye. So does a ll who gets a bye automatically get R2 prize money and points, or do they get R1 (assuming they lose their R2 match)?
Sorry, I was getting mandatory 1000, and non-mandatory 1000 events confused. The WTA really tries to make these things difficult.

by ti-amie Day 6 Order of Play

Estadio Akron de Tenis Starts at 11:00 AM

USA H. BAPTISTE vs FRA C. GARCIA (3)
NOT BEFORE 1:00 PM
USA S. KENIN vs LAT J. OSTAPENKO (6)
ITA C. GIORGI vs TBD
RUS V. KUDERMETOVA (7)
vs BLR V. AZARENKA (10)
FOLLOWED BY
TUN O. JABEUR (1)
vs ITA M. TREVISAN

Grandstand Caliente Starts at 11:00 AM

ITA J. PAOLINI/EGY M. SHERIF vs SVK T. MIHALIKOVA/CHN Y. XU
FOLLOWED BY
USA C. DOLEHIDE vs RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (8)
USA T. TOWNSEND vs COL E. ARANGO
TBD vs CAN L. FERNANDEZ

Court 1 Starts at 01:30 PM

USA A. KULIKOV/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS vs JPN M. KATO/INA A. SUTJIADI (8)
FOLLOWED BY
JPN S. AOYAMA/JPN E. SHIBAHARA (4)
vs USA C. DOLEHIDE/USA A. MUHAMMAD
FOLLOWED BY
AUS S. HUNTER/BEL E. MERTENS (1)
vs USA B. MATTEK-SANDS/FRA K. MLADENOVIC

by JTContinental Still 5 Americans left in the R16, and not any of the ones you would expect (maybe Kenin now). I'm sure Maddie is probably still a little down about blowing the USO SFs, but Navarro seems to have improved above the level of nepo baby this year.

by ashkor87 great win for Leylah over Mertens.. court is very slow but... Mertens struggled with it more than LF did

by ashkor87 Ostapenko should do well, assuming she cares enough!

by ashkor87 saw a bit of Sloane losing to Arango.. Sloane seemed to have no ideas when the ball keeps coming back, and no power to put it away.. not a natural volleyer like Leylah is, either.. she really struggles on a slow court!

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:27 am Still 5 Americans left in the R16, and not any of the ones you would expect (maybe Kenin now). I'm sure Maddie is probably still a little down about blowing the USO SFs, but Navarro seems to have improved above the level of nepo baby this year.
I still haven't seen anything special or distinctive in Navarro's game. I guess she's getting enough balls in play to crack the Top 50, which isn't easy. But I can't tell you her strengths. Her movement and footwork seem subpar. Several times in San Diego, Kenin's return caught Emma flat-footed and she hit it off her back foot and lost the point. Maybe the issue is with the serve, too attackable.

by Jeff from TX
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:24 am Meanwhile, the tournament has been hit with a spate of withdrawals - latest being Bencic (gastro trouble i gather - that will teach her to eat enchiladas on an empty stomach)
Enchiladas are always good!

by meganfernandez
Jeff from TX wrote:
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:24 am Meanwhile, the tournament has been hit with a spate of withdrawals - latest being Bencic (gastro trouble i gather - that will teach her to eat enchiladas on an empty stomach)
Enchiladas are always good!
Not with a side of Montezuma’s Revenge.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:04 pm Ostapenko should do well, assuming she cares enough!
She has never cared one way or another. She just goes there and blasts balls. if they land in, you lose, if they don't, she loses. It is a very simply equation.

by ti-amie Day 7 Order of Play

Estadio Akron de Tenis Starts at 01:00 PM

Quarter finals
CAN L. FERNANDEZ vs USA S. KENIN
Quarter finals
TBD vs FRA C. GARCIA (3)
Quarter finals
TBD vs USA C. DOLEHIDE
FOLLOWED BY
Quarter finals
COL E. ARANGO vs GRE M. SAKKARI (2)

Grandstand Caliente Starts at 01:00 PM

Quarter finals
NOR U. EIKERI/EST I. NEEL vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (3)
FOLLOWED BY
Quarter finals
TBD vs CHI A. GUARACHI/ROU M. NICULESCU
Quarter finals
ITA J. PAOLINI EGY M. SHERIF vs CAN L. FERNANDEZ/USA T. TOWNSEND (2)
Quarter finals
USA C. DOLEHIDE/USA A. MUHAMMAD vs JPN M. KATO/INA A. SUTJIADI (8)

by Owendonovan I'm digging Kenin being a threat again, at any tournament.

by ti-amie Day 8 Order of Play

Estadio Akron de Tenis Starts at 01:30 PM

Semifinal
CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (3) vs TBD
NOT BEFORE 4:00 PM
Semifinal
TBD vs USA S. KENIN
Semifinal
TBD vs TBD
Semifinal
AUS S. HUNTER/BEL E. MERTENS (1) vs TBD

by ashkor87 Some pretty astonishing results...wonder if it is just hangover of a Major? Slow surface at altitude? Absence of big names ?

by ashkor87
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:01 am I'm digging Kenin being a threat again, at any tournament.
She is up there with Sloane..subtle and undecipherable..a players' player..!

by JTContinental Now Kenin has a great chance to make the final

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:00 am Now Kenin has a great chance to make the final
And even win the title..she would be favorite in my book

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:06 am
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:01 am I'm digging Kenin being a threat again, at any tournament.
She is up there with Sloane..subtle and undecipherable..a players' player..!
I agree that she is up there with Sloane because their careers are so similar (one hard court slam, one RG final), but I think Kenin has been deciphered by players very well the last three years. Sure, there have been injuries but her annus mirabilis of 2020 seems a bit of an oddity, not her norm. Garbiñe can really look at that Aussie final and say "well, I let that one get away".
And Sloane... it is hard for me to see her and that game and not think she has underachieved. Should she have been the dominant player of the tour after she won her USO? Too much to ask for. Should she have been a factor in all tournaments she entered? I think that would have been a valid expectation.

by ashkor87 Garcia is back to her aggressive positioning inside the court to return.. makes good sense on a slow court, working well for her. she is a good volleyer so her forward positioning is not an empty threat..

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:27 pm And Sloane... it is hard for me to see her and that game and not think she has underachieved.
she did get to the finals of the French thereafter.. not bad. Yes, I agree she could have done more but as you have rightly observed many times here, courts are getting slower around the world and Sloane doesnt really have the big weapons, only defense and subtle variety.. hard for her to win on a slow court so I am not really surprised..

by JTContinental Caroline Dolehide is currently projected to move from 111 to 42 in the live rankings

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:50 pm Caroline Dolehide is currently projected to move from 111 to 42 in the live rankings
:shock:

by ti-amie Sakkari served Garcia a bagel in the second set!?

:o

by ashkor87 Not a fan of Sakkari but happy to see her doing well..she was shattered after the USO..that was sad to see..

by JTContinental Just read that Dolehide is only the second player outside of top 100 in a 1000 event since they switched format in 2009, and the other one was Kuznetsova with 2 slams in hand

by skatingfan
JTContinental wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:52 am Just read that Dolehide is only the second player outside of top 100 in a 1000 event since they switched format in 2009, and the other one was Kuznetsova with 2 slams in hand
That's too make the final, right? There were several players in this event that are outside the top 100.

by JTContinental
skatingfan wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:33 pm
JTContinental wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:52 am Just read that Dolehide is only the second player outside of top 100 in a 1000 event since they switched format in 2009, and the other one was Kuznetsova with 2 slams in hand
That's too make the final, right? There were several players in this event that are outside the top 100.
Lol yes I guess I omit important words at 4 am 😀

by ti-amie Day 9 Order of Play

Estadio Akron de Tenis

Starts at 03:30 PM

Final
AUS S. HUNTER/BEL E. MERTENS (1) vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (3)
Final
USA C. DOLEHIDE vs GRE M. SAKKARI (2)

by ashkor87 Redemption for Sakkari..wierd as this tournament is, it seems to be serving that purpose well..gave Pegula a similar fillip last year.

by ponchi101 I had her reaching the final, and losing to Alexandrova. But she should be the favorite for this final, and will maybe help her get out of this slump. Hope so.

by ti-amie

wta @WTA
a trophy, a sombrero and a happy Sakkari

by ti-amie

by ti-amie