B. Van De Zandschulp vs J. Struff

Women's Singles • Round 1
H. Baptiste Q vs C. Garcia

Women's Singles • Round 1
T. Zidansek 29 vs A. Rus

Men's Singles • Round 1
F. Tiafoe vs M. Trungelliti Q

by Deuce Tough 1st round for Felix.
So much for the advantage of being in the top 10...

by JazzNU If you aren't a NFL fan, just a heads up - there is no way in hell there's a moment of tennis on TV (except for DirecTV) before the playoff game ends tonight. I haven't looked at the schedule, but I'm saying, doesn't matter, literally no way. Prepare accordingly.

by ponchi101 Any news or inside info on Kvitova? Losing badly to Sorana.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:09 am Any news or inside info on Kvitova? Losing badly to Sorana.
Nope, only that Cirstea beat Kvitova at the Australian last year in 3 sets.

by ponchi101 Well, not even that close this time. 2&2, Sorana. That's a beating.
Telling that nobody picked Petra in the SP, although maybe it was because it is early.

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez Botic def Struff routinely. Probably Humbert next. Popcorn, that one.

by ti-amie Botic was down early but came back to win the first set and that was it.

by ti-amie When it comes to Slams I'm an outer court person. I'm watching Baptiste vs Garcia right now after watching a bit of Rublev vs Mager.

by atlpam I’m watching Inglis - Fernandez. Megan would like Inglis’ kit - she’s wearing shorts.

by ti-amie I like Inglis kit too. I'm glad to see more and more women opting for shorts.

As Deuce has said Leylah's serve is wonky. I'm not sure if it's windy or if she's just over hitting. She looks invincible one minute and like she just wandered from the stands onto the court the next.

by ti-amie 5 doubles and 19 UFE's from Leylah. Inglis takes the first set 6-4.

by ashkor87 Have a feeling Sabalenka will go down today...the crowd will support Sanders and Sabalenka could go mad...

by ti-amie Has anyone here ever seen Inglis before? Leylah is busy handing her the match 4-6, 0-3.

by atlpam Fernandez looking lost out there - it’s an error fest coming off her racket.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 am Have a feeling Sabalenka will go down today...the crowd will support Sanders and Sabalenka could go mad...
The way Aryna played the last two weeks, she could be playing in downtown Minsk and I would still expect her to lose.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:48 am Has anyone here ever seen Inglis before? Leylah is busy handing her the match 4-6, 0-3.
Yes, she's been around. But I personally find it very hard to tell what is expected and when from Aussie players. They seem high on so many, with seemingly very few making a push to the upper echelons. And very few seem to be 18 when you start hearing more about them, sort of like Storm Sanders last year.

by Deuce Leylah is not looking good. And I don't like her body language - which is a first for me. She seems confused and annoyed, as if thinking "Hey - I'm supposed to win this match routinely, what's going on?"
I hate to say it, but I think she'd be winning this match if she hadn't done what she did at the U.S. Open. She's young, and, as genuinely humble as she is, there is a part of her that thinks she's better than she is right now - and that comes from what happened in New York 4 months ago.
Consider this a reality check.

Leylah has only played 2 matches pre-Aussie Open - lost to Swiatek in the second. Then pulled out of doubles and pulled out of Sydney. That shouldn't be an excuse for losing in the first round, though.

Her dad told me last year that when she beat Bencic at Fed Cup in 2020, she got 'kind of a big head about it', and it affected her performances for a while. Leylah's not the arrogant or obnoxious type at all - so her 'big head' would be more of a semi-conscious internal feeling.
She's still young - these things happen - it's all a learning process. As one of the commentators of this match said about 20 minutes ago (paraphrasing) "Often, learning experiences are only realized after the fact. While it's happening, you're not learning - but you learn from it when reflecting on it afterwards."

I've seen Inglis play live a couple of times in Challengers (I saw Leylah beat her in one of them). She is playing really well tonight - but she's very emotional and unpredictable - her game can suddenly go south at any moment. But thus far, she's been very steady.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 5 months later, and that USO final keeps getting weirder.
Let's see how Emma fares later.

by Deuce Leylah losing early will take some of the pressure off of Emma.
Because of Leylah's loss, I think Emma has a better chance to beat Sloane than she had before Leylah lost.

Inglis has a really nice smile (though I'd have preferred to not see it tonight :P ).

It's not easy to encourage someone who's done what Leylah did at the U.S. Open to have confidence in her own ability, but to also realize that she's not as good as her run at the U.S. Open; that one tournament does not make a career; that she has to both gain confidence from the U.S. Open, and also forget it completely. It's a very difficult and delicate balance.

In my mind, this (link below) is a significant part of the reason Leylah lost (remember that she also got crushed by Swiatek a couple of weeks ago)... It's a typical case of 'too much too soon'. Personally, I'd have advised her to stay away from the sponsorships for now - maybe do one, but do it very quietly and subtly - no more than one...

When you're doing marketing and commercials for companies, and they're telling you how much they 'love' you, etc. - it has a strong tendency to go to a young person's head. That is a distraction to your tennis focus. Rather than simply a tennis player, you start viewing yourself as a tennis player AND 'media star'.

When Leylah was 15 years old, and I was just starting to watch her, I said to her older sister "Please don't let her take the same path as Genie." She said "No, don't worry - our dad won't let that happen."
Indeed, when I had my first conversation with her dad right after that, I mentioned the path that Genie had taken, and that I'd been told he wouldn't allow Leylah to go that way. He said that he gave Leylah a choice - she can work on her ass like Genie, or work on her tennis. He said that Leylah, not surprisingly, chose to work on her tennis.
I'm actually quite surprised that her dad approved of the marketing stuff - especially since it all came out in public right before the first Major of the year.
I'd rather see her concentrate only on her tennis at this point, and forget about the external activities like doing marketing shoots. I feel it would be better for her in the long run.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/leylah- ... alian-open

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:49 am When it comes to Slams I'm an outer court person. I'm watching Baptiste vs Garcia right now after watching a bit of Rublev vs Mager.
AND after, I believe, Hailey had been down 3-6, 3-5 to Garcia, she ended up winning 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3. We watched the match in bits and pieces- a matter of, at important times, big serving, and weathering the storm when Caroline hit her usual hot streaks. Hailey had been up 4-0 in the third set, Caroline played lights-out for three games (I don't think Hailey won a point during those three games), Hailey then played a solid service game, and, as is predictable- Caroline then played a stinker service game. :) In any case, great result for Hailey.

by meganfernandez
atlpam wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 am I’m watching Inglis - Fernandez. Megan would like Inglis’ kit - she’s wearing shorts.
Yay, shorts! So much more common these days. :)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:50 am
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 am Have a feeling Sabalenka will go down today...the crowd will support Sanders and Sabalenka could go mad...
The way Aryna played the last two weeks, she could be playing in downtown Minsk and I would still expect her to lose.
:D

by Deuce Felix came from behind to win the 1st set vs. Ruusuvuori... but he's giving the 2nd set away (0-4)...

by ti-amie Sherif takes the second set from Watson 7-5 after a game (#11) lasted about 20m.

by JazzNU Rybakina got real lucky to force that to a 3rd set. Probably should've lost it in 2 after she failed to break Diyas' serve with three break points at 0-40 that would've given Elena a chance to serve for the 2nd set.

by Suliso Just switched on my laptop early in the morning (working from home)... Some mildly surprising results, particularly Fernandez losing, but nothing completely shocking. Rybakina escaped. Her losing to Diyas would have been a surprise of the day for me.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Just switched on my laptop early in the morning (working from home)... Some mildly surprising results, particularly Fernandez losing, but nothing completely shocking. Rybakina escaped. Her losing to Diyas would have been a surprise of the day for me.
Rybakina got some treatment on her knee midmatch. Didn’t look 100% but who knows. She saved match point, played a dominating TB and didn’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:33 am Rybakina got some treatment on her knee midmatch. Didn’t look 100% but who knows. She saved match point, played a dominating TB and didn’t look back.
I think there was actual discomfort, but she favored the one leg the most in the 2nd set the when she was down. She didn't seem to have nearly as many issues with it when she wasn't angry about missing her shots. And she got treatment at critical points. Maybe she had problems with her knee later in the 3rd, I had turned to another match after it seemed safe for her, but her main issue during the match was blisters on her foot, not her knee.

by JazzNU Great win for Ana Konjuh.

Less than surprising loss for Shelby Rogers, though she definitely battled hard. I personally don't think it's that bad of a loss, but definitely one she should've won on paper.

by Suliso
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:12 am Great win for Ana Konjuh.

Less than surprising loss for Shelby Rogers, though she definitely battled hard. I personally don't think it's that bad of a loss, but definitely one she should've won on paper.
Happy for Ana. She has had a difficult time with injuries and adapting to early success on tour.

by Deuce Serve and Volleyer Maxime Cressy impressively beat Isner in 5 (3 tiebreaks). a little surprising, as you'd usually go with the veteran when it goes 5.
See more information on Cressy in the 'Tennis Random' thread here...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43&p=38145#p38145

Felix came from 2 sets to 1 down to beat Ruusuvuori, also in 5. When Felix came from behind to win the 1st set, I figured this one would likely go 5. Felix had to overcome... himself to win it.

Sabalenka looked like she was well on her way to blowing another match, losing the 1st set to Storm Sanders amid a bunch of double faults and other unforced errors and appearing lost and confused and frustrated as she so often does. The 2nd set was more of the same, with Sabalenka beating herself... until Sanders decided that she wasn't going to let Sabalenka have all the fun - she was going to start beating HERself, as well.
Sanders couldn't handle the mere thought of beating Sabalenka, and so she has made sure that wasn't going to happen. At 3-3 in the 2nd, Sanders gave the rest of the set to Sabalenka on a silver platter.
As I write this, Sanders still can't hit a shot, and Sabalenka is up 4-0 in the 3rd.
A high quality match, this has not been.

by ashkor87 Whew...Saba woke up in time....it will do her good..

by Suliso I doubt it will do her much good if Deuce's assessment of how it was achieved is true...

by ashkor87 Kanepi beating Kerber is a good example of how power pays off on a slow surface..Kerber cannot generate her own pace..do you think it is a coincidence that she has never done much at Roland Garros?

by Deuce A 6-0, 17 minute 1st set for Raducanu over Stephens is exactly what Emma needed for her confidence.
I hope the 2nd set is more competitive - because if she wins that easily, as well, she might think that she didn't have to do anything to win. In order for her to come out of this match with more confidence, Stephens will have to provide some degree of competition.

by Suliso Is there something with Raducanu which makes her play better at Slams?

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Is there something with Raducanu which makes her play better at Slams?
Who knows. Pretty small sample size right now. Maybe she feeds off the excitement. There were a lot of good rallies in the half I saw (last half). She played her heart out. Good win.

by Deuce That was a bizarre scoreline... and a bizarre match.

Stephens upped her game in the 2nd set, and Emma's level declined. A rather convincing advantage to Sloane in the 6-2 set.

Then Sloane inexplicably disappeared for the 3rd set. And missed some easy, easy shots where there was no pressure at all. Was she afraid she may win and would - gasp - have to play another match? Emma got back to the aggressive level she played in the opening set - but Sloane just looked like she had no focus or drive. 6-1 Raducanu.

Stephens really needs to find some enduring intensity if she wants to get back to anywhere near the top 20, even. She displayed some intensity in the 2nd set - she looked like she actually cared. And she won the set.
She's tough to figure out.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 pm That was a bizarre scoreline... and a bizarre match.

Stephens upped her game in the 2nd set, and Emma's level declined. A rather convincing advantage to Sloane in the 6-2 set.

Then Sloane inexplicably disappeared for the 3rd set. And missed some easy, easy shots where there was no pressure at all. Was she afraid she may win and would - gasp - have to play another match? Emma got back to the aggressive level she played in the opening set - but Sloane just looked like she had no focus or drive. 6-1 Raducanu.

Stephens really needs to find some enduring intensity if she wants to get back to anywhere near the top 20, even. She displayed some intensity in the 2nd set - she looked like she actually cared. And she won the set.
She's tough to figure out.
i have a different take on the 3rd set... Sloane did miss a few seemingly easy volleys, but Emma was scrambling her tail off and putting pressure on her. One of them, Emma got right down to Sloane's feet and made the shot difficult. Raducanu played with more intensity, but then Sloane doesn't play with intensity usually - she's more smooth. She made too many errors in some long rallies, though I wouldn't call it an error-fest. They had really good rallies. I thought Emma had to step up and win the match. Good start for her first match ever in Melbourne!

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 pm
Suliso wrote:Is there something with Raducanu which makes her play better at Slams?
Who knows. Pretty small sample size right now. Maybe she feeds off the excitement. There were a lot of good rallies in the half I saw (last half). She played her heart out. Good win.

Agree it is a small sample, but since last year, she has 17 wins at tour/WTA level (including today) and of those, 11 are at Slams (3W, 7USO, 1AO). So maybe she plays better at Slams, after all.
Her streakiness is, at least, odd.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:14 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 pm

Agree it is a small sample, but since last year, she has 17 wins at tour/WTA level (including today) and of those, 11 are at Slams (3W, 7USO, 1AO). So maybe she plays better at Slams, after all.
Her streakiness is, at least, odd.
I don't consider her streaky, personally. I don't consider her anything yet except a young champion with a lot of potential to have a terrific career. I think the circumstances between Sept and now are too unusual to mean much. And people lose matches. It's normal. We make too much of it and tend to grasp for meaning. :)

by meganfernandez 6 minutes into his interview

by ponchi101 And lost amid yesterday, Kerber lost her first round. I would say she is homing on retirement soon, too.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm And lost amid yesterday, Kerber lost her first round. I would say she is homing on retirement soon, too.
Ashkor mentioned it ... said the slow-ish court speed didn't help her generate pace against Kanepi. But you'd think Kanepi would have given Kerber all the pace she needed. Oh well, we'll see.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:36 pm ...

Ashkor mentioned it ... said the slow-ish court speed didn't help her generate pace against Kanepi. But you'd think Kanepi would have given Kerber all the pace she needed. Oh well, we'll see.
Now that you say it, indeed he did.
I never saw Kerber as a hard hitter, although I was corrected. The problem is not losing, it was the score. That looks very humdrum for Kanepi, and it is not as if she is a newcomer to the tour that caught her by surprise. So first round on a hard court and you go out 4 &3? Does not look good.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:36 pm ...

Now that you say it, indeed he did.
I never saw Kerber as a hard hitter, although I was corrected. The problem is not losing, it was the score. That looks very humdrum for Kanepi, and it is not as if she is a newcomer to the tour that caught her by surprise. So first round on a hard court and you go out 4 &3? Does not look good.
I've always thought Kerber is definitely more defensive but she redirects pace really well and that’s her offensive weapon, IMO. This match sounds routine but it’s one break per set. :) Sometimes the score tells the story, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it would surprise me a bit if she retires soon since she has had good results lately and her ranking isn’t in danger of plummeting. But who knows.

by ti-amie I agree with Megan. Kerber wants her opponent to give her pace which she then uses against her. Maybe she's become less adept at doing that or her opponents more adept at playing her?

by ti-amie I dragged Heather Watson but she came back to win her match vs Sherif.

I said elsewhere that the Raducanu/Stephens match would depend on which version of Sloane showed up. I set myself up to watch the match and slept through the entire thing.

I was talking with someone about the match this morning and she said that Sloane hasn't done anything to improve or fine tune her game, that she has been playing the same game for a few years now. I didn't see the match so I'm asking what you guys think of her observation?

by Suliso
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:14 pm I agree with Megan. Kerber wants her opponent to give her pace which she then uses against her. Maybe she's become less adept at doing that or her opponents more adept at playing her?
Perhaps has become slower with age?

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:17 pm I dragged Heather Watson but she came back to win her match vs Sherif.

I said elsewhere that the Raducanu/Stephens match would depend on which version of Sloane showed up. I set myself up to watch the match and slept through the entire thing.

I was talking with someone about the match this morning and she said that Sloane hasn't done anything to improve or fine tune her game, that she has been playing the same game for a few years now. I didn't see the match so I'm asking what you guys think of her observation?
Saw the last set. If Sloane has been playing the "same game", and we assume that was the "same game" that took her to a USO title and a RG final, she would not be losing in the first round of the Aussie. Agree, Emma is also a slam champion, but I can't see how the same game that took you to a slam drops you all the way to #87. The women's game has gotten better, indeed, but not by THAT much.
I could really not say what happened to her today. But in the last set, they were engaging in some long rallies and Emma came on top of that game. She did not look very pressured by Sloane.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:14 pm I agree with Megan. Kerber wants her opponent to give her pace which she then uses against her. Maybe she's become less adept at doing that or her opponents more adept at playing her?
Perhaps has become slower with age?
could be... she has to track down a lot of balls. Back in 2019, 2020, my German tennis friend said she was struggling to get much pace on the ball.

by jazzyg Kerber has become a one-surface player--grass--because a lot of power players aren't comfortable moving on it and with the lower bounces, though they are nowhere near as low as they used to be.

She gets overpowered quite a bit on hard courts now. Danielle Collins beat her in 56 minutes at the Aussie Open three years ago. It was a drubbing.