Women's Singles • Round 2
M. Vondrousova 31 vs L. Samsonova

Men's Singles • Round 2
A. Molcan vs P. Andujar

Women's Doubles • Round 1
D. Jurak Schreiber 7/A. Klepac 7 vs T. Martincova/M. Vondrousova

Men's Doubles • Round 1
P. Andujar/P. Martinez vs D. Lajovic/I. Sabanov

by ashkor87 Kyrgios Medvedev! Awesome match..feel sorry for the balls, though, they will take a beating ..

by meganfernandez Murray could have trouble with Taro Daniel. Daniel has improved his serve and hasn't lost a set in 4 matches (3 qualifying and R1). Won 3 matches in Adelaide and barely lost to Tommy Paul. So he should have some confidence. Sven Groenfeld is his coach. I don't know anything about the matchup, but on paper he's a tough opponent, esp if Andy is tired.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:29 am Kyrgios Medvedev! Awesome match..feel sorry for the balls, though, they will take a beating ..
At least the points probably won't be long. Would love to see this but it's on at 3 am here.

by meganfernandez Are we overlooking Cilic and .... Monfils? Cilic has a decent draw except Medvedev in R4. Almost won a warmup tournament. And Monfils has a great draw, in Djokovic/Berrettini section, and he looked good vs Bublik. He'd get Rafa/Sascha in the semis.

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 pm Are we overlooking Cilic and .... Monfils? Cilic has a decent draw except Medvedev in R4. Almost won a warmup tournament. And Monfils has a great draw, in Djokovic/Berrettini section, and he looked good vs Bublik. He'd get Rafa/Sascha in the semis.
I’m not overlooking Monfils, I’ve picked him in my Skan. He recently won Adelaide without dropping a set, and said something about Svitolina giving him a renewed love of tennis or something

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:12 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 pm Are we overlooking Cilic and .... Monfils? Cilic has a decent draw except Medvedev in R4. Almost won a warmup tournament. And Monfils has a great draw, in Djokovic/Berrettini section, and he looked good vs Bublik. He'd get Rafa/Sascha in the semis.
I’m not overlooking Monfils, I’ve picked him in my Skan. He recently won Adelaide without dropping a set, and said something about Svitolina giving him a renewed love of tennis or something
Yeah, I HOPE he is dangerous. :) Monfils winning or making the finals would be the palette-cleanser we all deserve from Melbourne.

by jazzyg I think Monfils will make the quarterfinals. After thst, he would have to buck his own history of never having beaten a big opponent in a Slam before.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:44 pm I think Monfils will make the quarterfinals. After thst, he would have to buck his own history of never having beaten a big opponent in a Slam before.
If Berrettini doesn't lose before then. I don't think he's 100% but maybe I'm wrong. Looking at Alcaraz to beat him in the next round.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:51 pm
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:44 pm I think Monfils will make the quarterfinals. After thst, he would have to buck his own history of never having beaten a big opponent in a Slam before.
If Berrettini doesn't lose before then. I don't think he's 100% but maybe I'm wrong. Looking at Alcaraz to beat him in the next round.
Agree...

by texasniteowl hmm...I'm not watching (no espn+ or whatever) but I'm surprised to see Tauson take the 1st from Kontaveit?

by New England Nitemare Muguruza just lost the 1st set to Cornet....

by meganfernandez
texasniteowl wrote:hmm...I'm not watching (no espn+ or whatever) but I'm surprised to see Tauson take the 1st from Kontaveit?
Nice, might flip over from this depressing Muguruza-Cornet match. Cornet won the first set 6-3. Muguruza faced break points on every service game, several from 0-40. She saved a bunch but everything is a struggle. She’s a bit slow and unsure. Cornet being her best aggravating self.

Mugu held to open the first set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by martini4me Yes, Tauson rolled over Kontaviet 6-2 in the first set. But Kontaveit just broke to go up 3-1 in the second.

by texasniteowl and now Tauson is back on top, serving for the match at 5-4.

And Cornet is up a break in the 2nd too!

by Suliso I've been praising Tauson for some time now. Only a bit annoyed that her big breakthrough had to be against Kontaveit whom I like too...

by meganfernandez
texasniteowl wrote:and now Tauson is back on top, serving for the match at 5-4.

And Cornet is up a break in the 2nd too!
Kontaveit handed it to Tauson in the last game with errors. Nice result for Clara.

by JazzNU Two of my faves going down in one day always sucks. Oh well.

by martini4me
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 am I've been praising Tauson for some time now. Only a bit annoyed that her big breakthrough had to be against Kontaveit whom I like too...
100% agree.

Muguruza had eight unforced errors (including her first two double faults of the set) to throw away the last two games of the match. One ball was about 10 feet wide.

by Suliso Even more surprised about Muguruza losing so lamely. I thought she was among title favorites...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Even more surprised about Muguruza losing so lamely. I thought she was among title favorites...
People always pick her but she is so streaky. When she’s off, she does not win. Today she didn’t seem focused at all. Wonder if Cornet is in her head or what.

by Deuce Nice win for one of the kids (Tauson).
It was rather decisive, too. And over a player who's been among the best in the past few months.

It would be nice to see her do well here. But not too well - not like Emma and Leylah a few months ago, as that kind of 'meteoric' success often does more harm than good in the long run.
Slow and steady wins the race.

by JazzNU Oh dear. Sabalenka has 9 double faults in 2 service games to start the match...

by meganfernandez Sabalenka has double-faulted 9 times I. Her first 2 service games. Down 0-3. Maybe this is why ESPN2 keeps pushing back the air time. Was 9, then 9:08, then 9:15, now 9:25…

by martini4me It took eight minutes for Sabalenka to get broken in the first game of the match, much more quickly in her second service game. They showed a stat on the screen: she's had 117 second serve points this year, and faulted on 57 of them. Almost 50%!! And that was before at least two more double faults. She's looking predictably anguished on court.

by nelslus *Last year, John and I saw Tauson beat Raducanu in what was the lowest-level of the 3 Chicago tennis tournaments. We were really impressed with both- most especially Tauson- who at that time I recognized had a ton potenntial. OF course, at that time, as I so often do, I said to John (AKA baby nelslus), "WELL, we certainly aren't seeing the US Open finalists with THIS match." :shock: (....I mean, every other time when I've been snotty this way, I've been right. So there.) It was already so stunning to actually then SEE Raducanu win the US Open. And, it's be amazing to see Tauson win a Slam title (or multiple Slam titles.) Very much looking forward to seeing both of them with their careers.

*Monfils winning this or any Slam IMO would be an abomination. So incredibly talented, and such a clown. I never have and never will sign up for his "WOW, did you see THAT shot" crap. GO away.

*I've said it before, and I'll say it again: While of course Kvitova and Muguruza have won great championships- IMO, for this era, they will both end up as the biggest disappointments career-wise. AND I hope this won't come off as cruel concerning Kvitova, with all she has been through- and I remain a fan of hers. But, before that horrendous incident, her career had started slipping. Very ironically, she came back swinging- but just could not win another Big Title- similar to Monica, albeit at least Monica got an Aussie title after her horrendous incident. IN any case, IMO, Kvitova and Muguruza will end up being the biggest disappointments among the champion players of this era. They both have always had such amazing skills, abilities and power. They could have ruled over the tour- but just could not figure out how to do this, and perhaps get the best team to maximize their potentials. I mean, hell- LOL, maybe they're better-rounded, healthier and happier than the likes of Navratilova, Evert, Graf, etc.? Still as a selfish tennis fan- it's been disappointing for me.

by Deuce And Mark Philippoussis and Cliff Drysdale thought the problem with Sabalenka's serve was technical?? :roll:

by dmforever Anyone think Dmitri Tursunuv might be out of a job soon (like in 5 games)? ;)

Kevin

by dryrunguy The Tiafoe/Fritz match will end somewhere around 5 a.m. I'm just not sure which U.S. time zone.

EDIT: Okay. Maybe not. A lot has changed since the middle of the first set.

by ashkor87
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:06 am Nice win for one of the kids (Tauson).
It was rather decisive, too. And over a player who's been among the best in the past few months.

It would be nice to see her do well here. But not too well - not like Emma and Leylah a few months ago, as that kind of 'meteoric' success often does more harm than good in the long run.
like Serena? Hingis? Unless you think times have changed?

by Deuce No, nothing has changed - quick, big success at a young age - and the attention and expectations, etc. that come with it - has hurt more people than it has helped.

by ashkor87

Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:19 am No, nothing has changed - quick, big success at a young age - and the attention and expectations, etc. that come with it - has hurt more people than it has helped.
I actually have the opposite concern about Gauff...she is progressing too slowly...she will be a regular in the top 10 but GOAT? That is her avowed goal...
I think the game has become too physical..and yes, the courts are also slowing down, young people just aren't strong enough ..

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:45 am Anyone think Dmitri Tursunuv might be out of a job soon (like in 5 games)? ;)

Kevin
Not even a little bit. Think he's probably got about the best job security on tour thru the end of this year at least.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Cressy progressed today too.. great to see! More power to the volleyers of the world!

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 am

Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:19 am No, nothing has changed - quick, big success at a young age - and the attention and expectations, etc. that come with it - has hurt more people than it has helped.
I actually have the opposite concern about Gauff...she is progressing too slowly...she will be a regular in the top 10 but GOAT? That is her avowed goal...
I think the game has become too physical..and yes, the courts are also slowing down, young people just aren't strong enough ..
and let us not forget Osaka either - a meteor who is clearly a star now (mixed metaphor maybe..)- she rose from nowhere and shines steadily now. Coco should have won a major by now, still far from that level.

by texasniteowl well, just getting back to this, but boy do I regret Muguruza on my skan team. she seemed to be in good form coming in but...yeah. 🤮

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 am

and let us not forget Osaka either - a meteor who is clearly a star now (mixed metaphor maybe..)- she rose from nowhere and shines steadily now. Coco should have won a major by now, still far from that level.
Yes - it's precisely that kind of pressure and ridiculous expectation that these youngsters DON'T need.
She's 17 years old, man! Regardless of the fact that the pro tennis world has known about her for 3 years or so, her brain has still spent only 17 years on this planet.
Think of any other 17 year old you know - think of how mature and experienced they are - in any field. Think of how you were when you were 17. 'Experienced' and 'mature' are not words that people use to describe 17 year olds. They are just barely beginning to understand human behaviour and how the world works.

Not legally old enough to do many things - there's a reason for that. And 'should have won a Major by now'? Seriously??
Is any other 17 year old kid expected to possess the maturity, experience, comprehension, and development to be the best in his/her field - any field - at that age?

Cori is evolving just fine.

by ponchi101
texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 am well, just getting back to this, but boy do I regret Muguruza on my skan team. she seemed to be in good form coming in but...yeah. 🤮
You regret having Mugu? Take a guess who had Mugu AND Annet... :cry:

by JazzNU This is due to the foot injury that was apparent in her last match. Clearly more than the blister she was verbally complaining about.

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:54 am
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:45 am Anyone think Dmitri Tursunuv might be out of a job soon (like in 5 games)? ;)

Kevin
Not even a little bit. Think he's probably got about the best job security on tour thru the end of this year at least.
I was a little premature tonight, but I don't have your confidence. But you probably have a more educated opinion. I hope you are right. :)

Kevin

by dmforever Just a few thoughts...

1. I will really miss Sam Stosur. I know that she hasn't been playing her best tennis for years, but I always loved watching her play.

2. Sebastian Baez is really fun to watch. I'm very impressed. :)

Kevin

by ponchi101 About Stosur. Overachiever, underachiever, or just about right? I don't think she makes it to the HOF if only singles are counted.
I agree with you. I really liked watching her play. The serve was a beauty.

by ashkor87
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:23 am

Yes - it's precisely that kind of pressure and ridiculous expectation that these youngsters DON'T need.
She's 17 years old, man! Regardless of the fact that the pro tennis world has known about her for 3 years or so, her brain has still spent only 17 years on this planet.
Think of any other 17 year old you know - think of how mature and experienced they are - in any field. Think of how you were when you were 17. 'Experienced' and 'mature' are not words that people use to describe 17 year olds. They are just barely beginning to understand human behaviour and how the world works.

Not legally old enough to do many things - there's a reason for that. And 'should have won a Major by now'? Seriously??
Is any other 17 year old kid expected to possess the maturity, experience, comprehension, and development be the best in his/her field - any field - at that age?

all these are matters for her parents and family to worry about.. I am only focused on the tennis. I dont know her personally, neither, I suspect, do most of the people on this planet so I wouldnt want to comment on all these things.

by texasniteowl
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:57 am You regret having Mugu? Take a guess who had Mugu AND Annet... :cry:
🥂 you win!

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:52 am
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:23 am

Is any other 17 year old kid expected to possess the maturity, experience, comprehension, and development be the best in his/her field - any field - at that age?

all these are matters for her parents and family to worry about.. I am only focused on the tennis. I dont know her personally, neither, I suspect, do most of the people on this planet so I wouldnt want to comment on all these things.
Do you really believe that her character, behaviour, personality, life experience, maturity, and comprehension are completely unattached to her tennis?
Like she is a completely different person on the court from the person she is in the rest of her life?

It's all intertwined. Her tennis does not exist in a protective bubble or in a vacuum - it is simply one element of her; of her life, and so she carries who she is - her personality, life experience, level of maturity, knowledge, comprehension, etc. onto the court with her - as everyone does.

These players exist beyond the tennis court. They are complete human beings, not just tennis robots. And it's the complete human being who takes the court - with their emotions, perspectives, levels of experience, maturity, understanding, etc.

by Deuce Two interesting/exciting matches currently being played:
Benoit Paire is up 2 sets to 1 on Dimitrov, and was up 3-0 in the 4th - but Grigor is mounting a comeback. (6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 3-2)...

Felix and Davidovich look like they're going to play 5 tiebreak sets.
Right now, Felix is up 2 sets to 1, and on serve late in the 4th...

Meanwhile, Daniel took the 1st set 6-4 from Murray, just starting the 2nd.

by dmforever
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 am About Stosur. Overachiever, underachiever, or just about right? I don't think she makes it to the HOF if only singles are counted.
Maybe a slight underachiever in that she should have won the French. But maybe winning the US Open makes up for that. Anyway, I had forgotten that she's going to continue to play doubles for a few years, so I look forward to trying to catch her on the doubles court. :)

And I would say a big no on HoF. It's the Iva Majoli standard. :)

Kevin

by nelslus
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:02 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 am About Stosur. Overachiever, underachiever, or just about right? I don't think she makes it to the HOF if only singles are counted.
Maybe a slight underachiever in that she should have won the French. But maybe winning the US Open makes up for that. Anyway, I had forgotten that she's going to continue to play doubles for a few years, so I look forward to trying to catch her on the doubles court. :)

Kevin
Co-sign. Sam could have won 1-2 Roland Garros titles. Still, the problem will always remain, when you have the likes of Chang and Sabatini in the HOF....still, love Sam, and I'll continue to watch her doubles- but she does not belong in the HOF.

by Deuce Raducanu has a blister or two on her right hand which is hindering her topspin forehand. She has adapted by hitting lots of slice forehands - many of them being successful drop shots, as, even when they're not outright winners, Kovinic is a fish out of water at the net.
Raducanu lost the 1st set, but has been the better player in the second set, where she was ahead by a break - but just gave the break back.

Emma is smiling throughout and looking like she's having a great time despite the pain. She's not only hanging in there and battling, but she may learn from this experience how effective it is to hit off pace shots and mix things up - and will hopefully use that in the future to tip the momentum in her favour when it's not.
Fun to watch.

Meanwhile, Medvedev won the 1st set tiebreak easily over Kyrgios, who, as per usual, seems to not be on the court to win, but is content to be merely competitive and put on a decent show.
One one changeover, Kyrgios 'stole' a towel from Medvedev's bench - when Medvedev was standing 3 feet away. Somewhat sadly, Daniil didn't even react to the theft.

by Liamvalid That wasn’t a bad loss for Emma really, she played well considering the blisters, and she isn’t used to those high intensity 3 setters where you have to scrap for every point. Lots of positives for her to take away. Plus Kovinic played a lot better than I expected her to! Very entertaining match

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote:That wasn’t a bad loss for Emma really, she played well considering the blisters, and she isn’t used to those high intensity 3 setters where you have to scrap for every point. Lots of positives for her to take away. Plus Kovinic played a lot better than I expected her to! Very entertaining match
Agree from what little I saw. Emma competed well. The backhand was world-class.

by meganfernandez Medvedev and the crowd got into it a bit. They were booing or “sooing” between his first and second serves - probably a vocal minority of them. Then he gave them a classic Medvedev reaction right after match point. In interview on court, he chided them for the noise between his serves and for drowning out Jim Courier. He said, “Please, respect Courier, if you don’t respect anyone else at least Jim Courier. He won here.”

Kyrgios got a point penalty in the last game, for breaking a racket. Got earlier warnings for swearing. Started the game love-15. Ran out of gas, predictably.

Daniil played a thoroughly professional match, of course.

by atlpam I heard a commentator say that Kyrgios may only play one more year. Doubt that will surprise anyone on this board.

by meganfernandez
atlpam wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 pm I heard a commentator say that Kyrgios may only play one more year. Doubt that will surprise anyone on this board.
Yeah, there have been rumblings about that. Maybe this was his last AO. But who knows, he could sit out and come back in a few years with a different attitude. He'll turn 27 in a few months. Such a shame. Think this is the most untapped potential in tennis history?

by meganfernandez Gotta hand it to Sabalenka, toughing out another win with no serve. It has to be humiliating and intensely aggravating, but she's fighting though it. That's a competitor. A lot of heart.

by dmforever
nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:29 am

Kevin
Co-sign. Sam could have won 1-2 Roland Garros titles. Still, the problem will always remain, when you have the likes of Chang and Sabatini in the HOF....still, love Sam, and I'll continue to watch her doubles- but she does not belong in the HOF.
I didn't know Chang and Sabatini were in. I remember that Chang made it to another FO final, losing to Muster in 3, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember if Gaby ever made it to another final. I don't think either of them should be in, but if they are, then Stosur getting in isn't so hard to accept.

Kevin

by meganfernandez
dmforever wrote:

Kevin
I didn't know Chang and Sabatini were in. I remember that Chang made it to another FO final, losing to Muster in 3, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember if Gaby ever made it to another final. I don't think either of them should be in, but if they are, then Stosur getting in isn't so hard to accept.

Kevin
Chang also made the Australian and US Open finals in 1996.

by dmforever
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:24 pm
dmforever wrote:

Kevin

Thanks. I just looked it up. I guessed beforehand that one of them was against Sampras. I was not a fan and I probably didn't even watch that final. :)

by mick1303 Comparing mens and ladies draws: Men started with 4 grand slam champions and kept 3 of them after 2 rounds. Ladies started with 14 and left with 7.

by mick1303 Regarding Stosur - she has 7 (seven) Grand Slam titles in Doubles (3 of those - in mixed doubles). IMO this alone should put her in the HOF. But she also has that title and another final in singles.

by meganfernandez
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:32 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:24 pm
dmforever wrote: I didn't know Chang and Sabatini were in. I remember that Chang made it to another FO final, losing to Muster in 3, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember if Gaby ever made it to another final. I don't think either of them should be in, but if they are, then Stosur getting in isn't so hard to accept.

Kevin

Thanks. I just looked it up. I guessed beforehand that one of them was against Sampras. I was not a fan and I probably didn't even watch that final. :)
Chang got to the semis of the USO the next year and had a great shot at the title - other semifinalists were Rafter, Rusedski, and Bjorkman. But he lost to Rafter.

by jazzyg Chang was a much more accomplished player than Stosur. I never pulled for him, but he was a top player for a long time before his body gave out and he fell like a rock. If Sampras had not saved a match point against Correjta with a second-serve ace when he was sick in the quarterfinals of the '96 U.S. Open, Chang would have cruised to the title and become No. 1 in the world, something he never did. Instead, he was a deer in the headlights after Sampras won a second-set tiebreak to even their final at a set apiece.

But Chang had no chance to win that '97 U.S. Open semi against Rafter, who played some of the best tennis in the history of the sport in that tournament and then repeated as champion the next year while not playing quite as well. I remember being dumbfounded when every CBS commentator picked Chang to beat Rafter in that semi. Anyone watching the way they were playing going into that match could have seen the beatdown coming on a very fast hard court. Chang's entourage sat in their box not moving for a long time at the conclusion because they bought into the idea he was due to win.

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:21 am

Kevin
I was a little premature tonight, but I don't have your confidence. But you probably have a more educated opinion. I hope you are right. :)

Kevin
Anett basically rose from relative tennis obscurity to stardom in a matter of 5 months. She's had this talent all along, but couldn't put all the pieces together on a consistent basis. The way that supposed tennis journalists would insult her on Twitter while seemingly thinking it was a compliment about her overall talent was rather embarrassing to see. She's no longer the joke that they were making her out to be. This has all happened under Dmitry, so I can't imagine her moving on after one bad showing at the Aussie Open. I feel like it would have to take repeated disappointments over several months before she's thinking it's time to make a change.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm Chang was a much more accomplished player than Stosur. I never pulled for him, but he was a top player for a long time before his body gave out and he fell like a rock. If Sampras had not saved a match point against Correjta with a second-serve ace when he was sick in the quarterfinals of the '96 U.S. Open, Chang would have cruised to the title and become No. 1 in the world, something he never did. Instead, he has was a deer in the headlights after Sampras won a second-set tiebreak to even their final at a set apiece.

But Chang had no chance to win that '97 U.S. Open semi against Rafter, who played some of the best tennis in the history of the sport in that tournament and then repeated as champion the next year while not playing quite as well. I remember being dumbfounded when every CBS commentator picked Chang to beat Rafter in that semi. Anyone watching the way they were playing go into that match could have seen the beatdown coming on a very fast hard court. Chang's entourage sat in their box not moving for a long time at the conclusion because they bought into the idea he was due to win.
Great recall! I just remember thinking it was a golden chance for Chang with Sampras out of the draw in 1997. Don't remember Rafter playing out of his mind. Yeah, Chang got stuck at #2 in the world.

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:58 pm
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:21 am

Kevin
Anett basically rose from relative tennis obscurity to stardom in a matter of 5 months. She's had this talent all along, but couldn't put all the pieces together on a consistent basis. The way that supposed tennis journalists would insult her on Twitter while seemingly thinking it was a compliment about her overall talent was rather embarrassing to see. She's no longer the joke that they were making her out to be. This has all happened under Dmitry, so I can't imagine her moving on after one bad showing at the Aussie Open. I feel like it would have to take repeated disappointments over several months before she's thinking it's time to make a change.
OOOpsss, my total bad. I'd forgotten that he wasn't with Sabalenka anymore. That's what I was referring to. Mea culpa and thanks for the correction. :)

Kevin

by JazzNU
Underachiever in Singles. Full Stop. Do you guys remember how many finals she's played in? And remember how few titles she actually has? I watched so many of them and she was the better player many of those times and just couldn't get it done much more often than not. Very disappointing. I think I'd still feel she underachieved in her career even if she had won the French Open that year she was played so well, beat all the major contenders, and couldn't get the title, but obviously not quite as much. Because when I think of her on tour, I know it was a disappointment, I know she could've and should've had more success. She doesn't have any Masters/1000 level titles to my knowledge, which is fairly insane to say of a player of her caliber I think. So it's the Grand Slam and then other titles that aren't as impressive.

Although, and I've said this before, I enjoyed watching her play and I will say to my dying day, that despite that US Open title, the best I ever saw her play was at the Family Circle Cup/Volvo Open in I think it was 2009 or 2010 (whatever year she should've won the French Open). She was on fire that entire week and it's a tournament that always has a great field of players. Just played phenomenal tennis. And that Final was damn near flawless. Zvonareva had what I consider to be her most epic racquet smash, which is saying something for her, because she was so damn frustrated in that match, there was no stopping Sam's dominance that day, it was a master class.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen nearly enough for Sam in finals.

All that being said, I'd be very surprised if she didn't get into the HOF eventually once Doubles are taken into account. I don't believe she has automatic qualification, but I think her name recognition in Singles will help considerably with a fan vote.

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:03 pm
Underachiever in Singles. Full Stop. Do you guys remember how many finals she's played in? And remember how few titles she actually has? I watched so many of them and she was the better player many of those times and just couldn't get it done much more often than not. Very disappointing. I think I'd still feel she underachieved in her career even if she had won the French Open that year she was played so well, beat all the major contenders, and couldn't get the title, but obviously not quite as much. Because when I think of her on tour, I know it was a disappointment, I know she could've and should've had more success. She doesn't have any Masters/1000 level titles to my knowledge, which is fairly insane to say of a player of her caliber I think. So it's the Grand Slam and then other titles that aren't as impressive.

Although, and I've said this before, I enjoyed watching her play and I will say to my dying day, that despite that US Open title, the best I ever saw her play was at the Family Circle Cup/Volvo Open in I think it was 2009 or 2010 (whatever year she should've won the French Open). She was on fire that entire week and it's a tournament that always has a great field of players. Just played phenomenal tennis. And that Final was damn near flawless. Zvonareva had what I consider to be her most epic racquet smash, which is saying something for her, because she was so damn frustrated in that match, there was no stopping Sam's dominance that day, it was a master class.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen nearly enough for Sam in finals.

All that being said, I'd be very surprised if she didn't get into the HOF eventually once Doubles are taken into account. I don't believe she has automatic qualification, but I think her name recognition in Singles will help considerably with a fan vote.
I saw that match with Vera too. She started crying during the match if I remember correctly. And didn't they have couches for players to sit on on the changeovers? Good call!

Kevin

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:08 pm
I saw that match with Vera too. She started crying during the match if I remember correctly. And didn't they have couches for players to sit on on the changeovers? Good call!

Kevin
Totally! It was a long drawn out kind of frustrated rant that involved an extended racquet smash, she killed that thing til it was dead, flopped down on the couch/bench, was sulking, was crying. It was something to see. I remember Pam Shriver was part of the commentary for that match and just had to say, something like "I mean, well done, that had everything."

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 pm
dmforever wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:08 pm

Kevin
Totally! It was a long drawn out kind of frustrated rant that involved an extended racquet smash, she killed that thing til it was dead, flopped down on the couch/bench, was sulking, was crying. It was something to see. I remember Pam Shriver was part of the commentary for that match and just had to say, something like "I mean, well done, that had everything."
Jazz, I just KNOW you want to relive this.. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01BO-an2Mso

Kevin