D. Krawczyk 1/J. Salisbury 1 vs G. Olmos/M. Arevalo

Women's Doubles • Round 2
A. Friedsam/R. Olaru vs Y. Xu 14/Z. Yang 14

Men's Doubles • Round 2
D. Altmaier A/T. Monteiro A vs W. Koolhof 10/N. Skupski 10

Day session - Not before 11:00pm EST

Women's Doubles • Round 2
T. Martincova/M. Vondrousova vs A. Danilina/B. Haddad Maia

by ashkor87 Keys Wang should tell us a lot about Keys...Wang is capable of absorbing and redirecting power..
Does Keys have other arrows in her quiver? If yes, she could even win this tournament...we have all waited for years for her to break through...

by ponchi101 I say the only thing Maddie has to do is keep the UE's down. She basically has all the tools, and the power is there. If she can hold pulling the trigger on just a few shots, she can win the whole thing.

by Liamvalid
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 pm I say the only thing Maddie has to do is keep the UE's down. She basically has all the tools, and the power is there. If she can hold pulling the trigger on just a few shots, she can win the whole thing.
This is what I used to say about Ostapenko. I have given up on that now though

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 pm I say the only thing Maddie has to do is keep the UE's down. She basically has all the tools, and the power is there. If she can hold pulling the trigger on just a few shots, she can win the whole thing.
Sure. That's mental and she hasn't improved much since 2017. Doesn't mean she can't, at least long enough to win a big title. But I wouldn't count on it.
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:26 am Keys Wang should tell us a lot about Keys...Wang is capable of absorbing and redirecting power..
Does Keys have other arrows in her quiver? If yes, she could even win this tournament...we have all waited for years for her to break through...
Been waiting for her to truly believe.

by Suliso Some really interesting matches tomorrow. Pretty much the entire day on Rod Laver + Osaka vs Anisimova and Keys vs Wang

by JazzNU Hope it's not too late to reunite with Andrew Bettles...

by ponchi101 Svitolina showing how little power she has. I was expecting her to lose, as I took her in the SP early, but not this bad.
Meanwhile, Pegula is losing to Parrilla Dias (who is this girl?). The SP will be over for me soon.

by ti-amie I'm so used to Svitolina flailing at crucial points during a tournament I usually don't even blink but Elina, excuse me?

by ponchi101 And it is not as if Vika played a monster of a match. It was well played but it was simply Elina not having anything. Until that last game, which was fun.

by JazzNU Outside of that very competitive final game, that was nothing but a good old-fashioned drubbing. Executed her game plan the entire time, looked like vintage Vika in many ways. I think the commentators got it right when they said, it's a shame that the match didn't start at Noon instead of 11 AM because Elina just had nothing until an hour in. Nice that Vika went over and said something to Elina at the end.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:41 am Svitolina showing how little power she has. I was expecting her to lose, as I took her in the SP early, but not this bad.
Meanwhile, Pegula is losing to Parrilla Dias (who is this girl?). The SP will be over for me soon.
YE of little Pegula faith. We fellow Pegula pickers are amused at your fear. (AND, as if these matches over and over again don't end up as nutty, with a zillion twists and turns.) ;)

by JazzNU I definitely missed that Laura Robson was doing commentary.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 am ...

YE of little Pegula faith. We fellow Pegula pickers are amused at your fear. (AND, as if these matches over and over again don't end up as nutty, with a zillion twists and turns.) ;)
Very seriously here, I always sell her short. Last year in Predictions I bet against her every time, and got burned accordingly.

by ponchi101 How I would love to see Alone win another slam, and prove a lot of people, me included, wrong about being a one slam wonder.

by ti-amie The score right now is surprising with Aljona up a set.

by ti-amie Badosa won her first set.

by martini4me
JazzNU wrote:I definitely missed that Laura Robson was doing commentary.
I've already heard far too much of her this week. She seems to be constantly on the second channel here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote:Badosa won her first set.
Easily… she’s doing hardly anything wrong these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by martini4me Sonego's fans banging on the side boards after every point are super obnoxious. As is Sonego's extended grunting on every hit.

Badosa seemed to be cruising at 4-2 in the second set, then suddenly lost her first serve, and four of the next five games.

by JazzNU You guys talked Badosa up to much this match. Kostyuk with excellent fight in the second set, frustration with her play minimized as she started hitting her shots as Badosa started struggling a bit more with her serve.

A match deserving of a 3rd set.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:20 am
She definitely has a reputation. And her first set performance was a touch curious today.

by JazzNU Really appreciate Paula putting her hair in a quick bun mid-match. They are basically identical out there and any difference is welcome in trying to figure out who is hitting what.

by martini4me Look at the shoes! Badoda's are white, Kostyuk's are pink.

by ponchi101 The number of missed swinging volleys that I have seen, and the number of swinging volleys hit straight at the opponent for him/her to pass you must be at least at 50%. I wish somebody would come up with the proper stat.

by martini4me Why are Monfils and Garin both weary all black on a 30 degree Melbourne afternoon?

by ponchi101 That was a fantastic match. "Finesse? (expletive) that! Let's cream these balls!"
(Badosa - Kostyuk)

by JazzNU Amazing match tiebreak from Maddie. Really fought back nicely in that match being down a set and a break. So nice to see.

by nelslus LOL, Madison can be so maddening!!!! But, what a brilliant third-set tiebreaker. Watched most of the third set. Not Madison's best. If she can just keep her focus the way she played that tiebreaker....

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:23 am That was a fantastic match. "Finesse? (expletive) that! Let's cream these balls!"
(Badosa - Kostyuk)
Much of the Badosa and Krejčíková matches (I watched bits and pieces of both- we HAD to watch Project Runway.... :gorgeous: ) were great- until the end of the matches, which got really shaking- but still really compelling and dramatic.

by jazzyg That was a match Keys never would have won in the past, even when she was confident. She always has been either on or off, but after being off for a set and two games today, she got it together and played smart the rest of the way before that outstanding tiebreak.

What likely will get her at the end is her return of serve. She simply misses too many makable returns.

by ti-amie

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:27 am
NOW she truly has to prove that she will stick to this plan, day in and day out. She was going for too many impossible winners, and missed too many returns today.

by jazzyg Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

He is one of the very best on tour.

by nelslus
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 am Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

At least in the tennis world? Who's underrating a player as a competitor who's been in a Wimbledon final, a US Open SF, a Roland Garros QF, etc.? Who's ranked #7 in the world? Then they're fools.

Having said that...if you check his draws in these tournaments, he's also taken advantage of openings in the draws, and really hasn't had to play any of the big boys at these slams. I looked up his records against Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Tsitsipas. Medvedev and Zverev- and, he has only one win against Zverev (vs. 4 losses). He's not played the others much- which also says something (not getting to the places in the draws when he might play them more.)

I mean, I do love watching the guy and his game (and his extreme prettiness.) It's amazing that he won today, with his apparent stomach bug issues. With him being 25, there's time enough for the old boys to age out (which I think has already happened with Federer), he can still improve, we'll have to see how consistent the youngers guys are.....problem is, and I do of course think he's an excellent competitor- at Slams at least, he just tends to play LOONNNNNNGGGG and complicated matches- which doesn't help his cause to actually win the big titles (and how many other players can we say THAT about?) So- an excellent competitor- of course. A potential Slam champion? I'd still say doubtful, at best.

by mick1303
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 am
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 am Berettini is terminally underrated as a competitor.

At least in the tennis world? Who's underrating a player as a competitor who's been in a Wimbledon final, a US Open SF, a Roland Garros QF, etc.? Who's ranked #7 in the world? Then they're fools.

Having said that...if you check his draws in these tournaments, he's also taken advantage of openings in the draws, and really hasn't had to play any of the big boys at these slams. I looked up his records against Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Tsitsipas. Medvedev and Zverev- and, he has only one win against Zverev (vs. 4 losses). He's not played the others much- which also says something (not getting to the places in the draws when he might play them more.)

I mean, I do love watching the guy and his game (and his extreme prettiness.) It's amazing that he won today, with his apparent stomach bug issues. With him being 25, there's time enough for the old boys to age out (which I think has already happened with Federer), he can still improve, we'll have to see how consistent the youngers guys are.....problem is, and I do of course think he's an excellent competitor- at Slams at least, he just tends to play LOONNNNNNGGGG and complicated matches- which doesn't help his cause to actually win the big titles (and how many other players can we say THAT about?) So- an excellent competitor- of course. A potential Slam champion? I'd still say doubtful, at best.
I can say that chances of Djokovic (when in the draw), Nadal (on clay) , Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas to win the slam are higher than that of Berretini. But who else is clearly above him?

by Suliso
mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 am I can say that chances of Djokovic (when in the draw), Nadal (on clay) , Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas to win the slam are higher than that of Berretini. But who else is clearly above him?
Completely subjectively I would rate Sinner higher as well and after that a few about the same (Rublev, FAA etc).

by JTContinental The Osaka/Anisimova match is fire.

by Deuce Osaka and Anisimova are smacking the ball back and forth late in the third... Seems like it's one winner after another. Will the balls survive this?
Overall points in the match are just about dead even (I think Osaka is ahead by 1 or 2).
Good stuff.

by JTContinental Match of the tournament so far on the women's side. Barty has been a buzzsaw for her first three matches, but Anisimova looks very formidable.

by Suliso Wow, that's an amazing win by Anisimova. I was quite convinced before the match that Osaka would win in straight sets.

Not a lucky draw for her, though. Barty is next and playing very well.

by Liamvalid Sad for Osaka, I do feel that she would have beaten Barty in the next round, but I’m really impressed with Anisinova (she only just squeaked through in her first round match against someone I’ve never heard of?)

by jazzyg Wish I had been able to stay up for the Anisimova-Osaka match.

As for Berrettini, he absolutely can win Wimbledon. Not saying he will, but he certainly can. His movement and backhand will prevent him from winning on any other surface. The backhand works well on grass.

by meganfernandez

I took this comment to mean his competitive spirit, not his pure ability or talent. Good observation.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:41 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:27 am
NOW she truly has to prove that she will stick to this plan, day in and day out. She was going for too many impossible winners, and missed too many returns today.
Yeah, and I think that might be concentration. What a tiebreak. Her zone is just so small compared to others - I mean that place where she plays her best tennis freely. When she's in it, she's incredible. But it's Lichtenstein and Barty's is China.

by Deuce For anyone not already watching, Karatsev and Mannarino are currently starting the 4th set of a close, entertaining, and pretty high quality match...

by ponchi101 About Berrettini: I don't think he is underrated, but the backhand is not as solid a shot as desired. Only thing I would say would be: at #7, sure he is one of the best, but there is one more step to take.
---0---
Maybe Anisimova has taken the turn. Let's not forget: she lost her father a couple of years ago, and that hit her very hard. Maybe she is back in the space that was expected of her. I don't want her to beat Barty because it locks me in the SP, but if she does, I will be happy for her.
---0---
Mannarino. I have said it before. For us amateurs, we should look at Adrian Mannarino AND TRY TO PLAY LIKE HIM. The compact strokes, the un-spectacular, efficient movement, the playing within your abilities. We can and should admire Roger and Rafa and Novak. We should try to imitate Mannarino.

by Liamvalid I agree about Berrettini, you rarely see him complain or create drama, he maintains a positive body language, doesn’t dwell on bad misses etc. He seems to channel all his physical and mental energy into his game, which is why he has been so consistent

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:28 am
mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 am I can say that chances of Djokovic (when in the draw), Nadal (on clay) , Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas to win the slam are higher than that of Berretini. But who else is clearly above him?
Completely subjectively I would rate Sinner higher as well and after that a few about the same (Rublev, FAA etc).
Co-sign.

Mick1303- your post kind of proves my point, though. If you can name players who have better chances- AND, as suliso says, you can name plenty of other players (near future- Alcaraz- and, in fantasy scenarios, and if he ever truly gets better (he won't)- and if a LOT of players lost unexpectedly, and the draw opens up- I'd like Fed's chances to win another Slam... :shock: )- there's just too much that has to happen for Berrettini to win a Slam. AND, I'd have to somewhat disagree with jazzyg. While admittedly it's tough to judge since Berrettini has a relatively short history playing Slams- I do feel his making the Wimbledon has a good deal to do with the Draw Gods going his way- and, he only has 4th Round and 2nd Round results at Wimbledon. I'd give him a fairer shake at winning a Slam at the Aussie or US Opens. Of course, nutty slam results could still happen with the current Nutty Tennis Tours at present. Still- I think he may be more of today's ATP Pam Shriver. :gorgeous: (AND I'd be perfectly happy if he proves me wrong and wins this damned tournament and/or multiple Slams.)

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:19 pm

I took this comment to mean his competitive spirit, not his pure ability or talent. Good observation.
.....Except- where is he terminally underrated as a competitor?!?! I just don't see that. (*My MUCH shorter version here.) :ugeek:

by ti-amie I think Naomi needs matches. That said it seems Anisimova won the one match they played before last night/this morning.

by jazzyg I stand by what I wrote. Berrettini is one of the best competitors on tour. His backhand fell apart against Alcaraz, who basically dominated the last two sets, but Berrettini kept his conposure, played the big points well and was immaculate in the tiebreak.

He has never lost a match from two sets up and even though the run of play indicated that streak would end against Alcaraz, he dug deep and refused to let it happen.

Berrettini is not one of the 10 most talented players, but he is one win away from his fourth consecutive slam quarterfinal. It says a lot about his toughness.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:09 pm

.....Except- where is he terminally underrated as a competitor?!?! I just don't see that. (*My MUCH shorter version here.) :ugeek:
I think underrated means it's never mentioned, not that he has a reputation for being uncompetitive. Just by virtue of omission. People only talk about his power.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:00 pm I think Naomi needs matches. That said it seems Anisimova won the one match they played before last night/this morning.
You might be right. She pulled of the Adelaide semi thinking she had played enough - just two matches in. Didn't cite an injury. I thought that was weird and she should have tested herself against the best competition she could find, but I'm also always preaching that players and their coaches usually know better than fans when it comes to preparation and their schedules. This match was so close and they both played pretty well, maybe just one of those matches that could have gone either way, like the Muguruza quarter last year. Naomi did miss before Anisimova, though. Anisimova was just a little tougher and more consistent - maybe braver - in the end.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:03 pm

I think underrated means it's never mentioned, not that he has a reputation for being uncompetitive. Just by virtue of omission. People only talk about his power.
I just don't see it at all that he is underrated, and that a lot of folks don't see him as an excellent competitor, at least by those who have any kind of clue in the tennis world. ;)

by ponchi101 Remember how highly touted Anisimova was just a few years ago. Her father's death certainly took a huge toll on her, but this is what was expected of her. So this is not completely unexpected.
---0---
The sole thing people talk about Berrettini is his power? Really? ;)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm Remember how highly touted Anisimova was just a few years ago. Her father's death certainly took a huge toll on her, but this is what was expected of her. So this is not completely unexpected.
---0---
The sole thing people talk about Berrettini is his power? Really? ;)
Tennis-wise :)

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:10 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:03 pm

I just don't see it at all that he is underrated, and that a lot of folks don't see him as an excellent competitor, at least by those who have any kind of clue in the tennis world. ;)
That's fine. Just saying that's how I read jazzyg's comment, and it made me realize that I had never thought about him as a a standout competitor - as in, one of his weapons - and never heard anyone extol that particular part of his game - his heart, his fight, his will. But we all hear and absorb different things!

by jazzyg Everybody was picking Alcaraz to win. Everyone.

Until getting pushback on this thread, I had never heard anyone talk about Berrettini's competitiveness. And if you think he is better on hard courts than grass, his career record indicates otherwise. I raved about his natural affinity on grass three years ago on the old site, long before his Wimbledon final last year.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:Everybody was picking Alcaraz to win. Everyone.

Until getting pushback on this thread, I had never heard anyone talk about Berrettini's competitiveness. And if you think he is better on hard courts than grass, his career record indicates otherwise. I raved about his natural affinity on grass three years ago on the old site, long before his Wimbledon final last year.
I tipped Alcaraz for the possible upset (not here) only because Berrettini had an an injury in the ATP Cup and some gastrointestinal distress earlier this week. Wasn’t sure if he was in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by nelslus LOL, no everyone was NOT picking Alcaraz to win. Stomach upset or not- I had Berrettini winning the match- which, btw, he didn't win by much. I still think Alcaraz is still too young for a lot of great wins against the top players at Slams- for now.

As for grass vs. hard courts- I was just talking about Slams. In 4 US Opens- he's made a QF and a SF. He could certainly make waves here still, health permitting. However, I don't remember your analysis of his grass game. I am quite certain that you know his game and talents far better than me- so, I can respect your take that he's got a better shot at Wimbledon.

Truly- I just don't know where in the world is where everyone is doubting Berrettini- or why there is such a need for absolutes to make a point- everyone this, no one that. In any case, I suspect it's just best for me to bow out of The Great Berrettini debates. :)

by ponchi101 I was giving it a thought and: I don't consider him a mental giant nor a dwarf. But it certainly is not one quality that comes to mind when I think about him.
Then again, I despise the man. Can't root for a man that my GF openly tells me she would leave me for him, and I can't find one single good reason why not.

by dmforever Did anyone by chance see the end of Opelka's match? He served this really, really weird serve. I couldn't find it on Youtube. He tossed it low and to the right and out in front and then hit it with almost a flat racket face. BG noticed it too. It wasn't a bad toss. It was on purpose, and very very weird. It didn't go in, BTW.

Kevin

by meganfernandez
dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 am Did anyone by chance see the end of Opelka's match? He served this really, really weird serve. I couldn't find it on Youtube. He tossed it low and to the right and out in front and then hit it with almost a flat racket face. BG noticed it too. It wasn't a bad toss. It was on purpose, and very very weird. It didn't go in, BTW.

Kevin
Hmmm, no, but i'm gonna look it up on the replay.

by dmforever
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 am
dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 am Did anyone by chance see the end of Opelka's match? He served this really, really weird serve. I couldn't find it on Youtube. He tossed it low and to the right and out in front and then hit it with almost a flat racket face. BG noticed it too. It wasn't a bad toss. It was on purpose, and very very weird. It didn't go in, BTW.

Kevin
Hmmm, no, but i'm gonna look it up on the replay.
It's towards the end of the match. Maybe it was the last time or the second to the last time that he served. Let me know what you think.

Kevin