Junior Boys' Singles • Round 2
L. Jones vs K. Feldbausch 11

Junior Boys' Singles • Round 2
A. Kim vs J. Mensik 4

Junior Boys' Doubles • Round 1
M. Batyutenko /G. Gandolfi vs G. Debru 3/K. Feldbausch 3

Junior Girls' Doubles • Round 1
M. Andreeva/M. Rowinska vs E. Khayrutdinova/A. Sagandikova

by Deuce You would think that at this stage of the tournament, they would space the matches out better.
There are likely to be 3 men's singles matches being played at the same time.
Not good.

by meganfernandez Not enjoying this Mertens-Collins match, for some reason. It feels joyless and tense.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:25 am Not enjoying this Mertens-Collins match, for some reason. It feels joyless and tense.
Because... Danielle Collins is in it? She makes Giorgi looks positively radiant when playing.
It is a bit flat, though. Very tempted to switch to KC Vs Buf.

by ti-amie Comms asking if Collins is fully healthy. She keeps grabbing at her back. Still she's up 3-0 in the second set just like she was in the first set.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:27 am
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:25 am Not enjoying this Mertens-Collins match, for some reason. It feels joyless and tense.
Because... Danielle Collins is in it? She makes Giorgi looks positively radiant when playing.
It is a bit flat, though. Very tempted to switch to KC Vs Buf.
That was too easy. :) I actually like her (for now), so that''s not it. Flat's a good word for it. I also can't grasp how Mertens wins so many matches. It aggravates me when I can't read a match. I think Collins isn't defending very well, so Mertens doesn't have to do anything special to win points, and Mertens's own defense is pretty good. And maybe Mertens is ultra consistent and just aggressive enough.
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:29 am Comms asking if Collins is fully healthy. She keeps grabbing at her back. Still she's up 3-0 in the second set just like she was in the first set.
Yeah, if nothing else, she's just really tired and sore.

by dryrunguy
Looking for joy during a Collins match is a lot like looking for a vegan dish on the menu while dining at a steakhouse.

by Deuce What an extreme contrast in personalities this match is... Collins, the brash, loud, unapologetic, in-your-face player vs. Mertens, the quiet, unassuming, polite player.

First set was odd - all Collins, then all Mertens.
Second set more balanced - I'm surprised Mertens faded.
Should be an interesting third.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:08 am What an extreme contrast in personalities this match is... Collins, the brash, loud, unapologetic, in-your-face player vs. Mertens, the quiet, unassuming, polite player.

What's your read on the tactics/matchup? What's shaping the match?

by Deuce
dryrunguy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:45 am
Looking for joy during a Collins match is a lot like looking for a vegan dish on the menu while dining at a steakhouse.
Why are you afraid of veganism? I've been doing it since I was 15 years old, and not only do I love the taste, but I'm also healthier than most others my age.
It's been proven many, many times to be significantly healthier for the planet and for the well-being of the individual person than meat - and with enormously less cruelty.

In the end, I simply prefer to respect animals than to torture and/or exploit them.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:13 am
Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:08 am What an extreme contrast in personalities this match is... Collins, the brash, loud, unapologetic, in-your-face player vs. Mertens, the quiet, unassuming, polite player.

What's your read on the tactics/matchup? What's shaping the match?
^ Nothing.
It's entirely unpredictable as each player alternates between Jekyll and Hyde... and you never know how long they'll be playing well or poorly - maybe 5 minutes, maybe 30 minutes...
This is a total toss-up.

by ponchi101 Not only is Collins really sad looking on court, there is one voice off court that is rooting for her that really makes it hard not to hope she loses.

by meganfernandez Oof, Mertens double-faulted on match point to lose. She was down 15-40 in the game and at 30-40, hit an incredible 2nd serve to get to deuce. Then that double... So sad! Collins into the quarterfinal, somehow.

by Deuce Yeah - that second serve on the 2nd match point was great - and incredibly gutsy. Unfortunately, I think it also led to the double fault that ended the match. As she set up for that final second serve, she was very likely thinking about the great second serve that she had just hit, and debating with herself whether she should go for it again. I think that internal psychological debate unsettled her and took some focus away.

Collins spoke after the match about the people in her 'box' encouraging her and firing her up... but to me, it seemed the opposite - Collins was constantly yelling at her 'box', seemingly encouraging them to be more animated.
Collins and Andy Murray are the only two players I can think of who fire their 'box' up more than their 'box' fires them up.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:16 am Yeah - that second serve on the 2nd match point was great - and incredibly gutsy. Unfortunately, I think it also led to the double fault that ended the match. As she set up for that final second serve, she was very likely thinking about the great second serve that she had just hit, and debating with herself whether she should go for it again. I think that internal psychological debate unsettled her and took some focus away.
This crossed my mind. She shoulda just made her first serve.

by MJ2004 Halep looks like she stepped out on court with no game plan whatsoever. Guess we're seeing the effects of losing Cahill.

by meganfernandez
MJ2004 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:16 am Halep looks like she stepped out on court with no game plan whatsoever. Guess we're seeing the effects of losing Cahill.
Right now she is about dead. Flashbacks of 2018. Yet she just broke back in the second. Insane.

by ponchi101 I don't know what quality they can bring for a third set. They are melting on court. Way too hot.

by martini4me Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed this a couple of days ago while looking at her WTA page.

Alize Cornet has never been past the round of 16 at a major. This is the sixth time she's gotten that far. Doesn't that strike you as very surprising? She's been a top 60 player for 15 years now, and finished the year in the top 20 twice, six years apart. There have been a lot of random players that have gotten to the round of 16, or further in that time, and she's never gotten there once?

And just as I was typing this, were the commentators talking about how often she had collapsed late after having a lead (I wasn't paying close attention)? Maybe they just explained what puzzled me.

by meganfernandez
martini4me wrote:Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed this a couple of days ago while looking at her WTA page.

Alize Cornet has never been past the round of 16 at a major. This is the sixth time she's gotten that far. Doesn't that strike you as very surprising? She's been a top 60 player for 15 years now, and finished the year in the top 20 twice, six years apart. There have been a lot of random players that have gotten to the round of 16, or further in that time, and she's never gotten there once?

And just as I was typing this, were the commentators talking about how often she had collapsed late after having a lead (I wasn't paying close attention)? Maybe they just explained what puzzled me.
Yeah I thought she would have made a quarterfinal with her longevity and the people she had beaten. I want her to win this match just to cross that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by MJ2004 Yeah, Cornet definitely let Halep back in. Halep is playing smarter now.
Heat seems to be a factor for both players, but more so when they're behind, respectively. Make of that what you will.

by Deuce I'm watching Felix-Cilic, where Felix saved a set point against in the 2nd set tiebreak, and converted on his 2nd set point. One set each.

Also watching Medvedev-Cressy, which is now into a 2nd set tiebreak after Medvedev won the opening set. Medvedev saved a set point against with a great shot.
Cressy has played a really good 2nd set, putting the pressure on Medvedev.

Will switch to watch the end of Halep-Cornet after Medvedev-Cressy tiebreak.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:I'm watching Felix-Cilic, where Felix saved a set point against in the 2nd set tiebreak, and converted on his 2nd set point. One set each.

Also watching Medvedev-Cressy, which is now into a 2nd set tiebreak after Medvedev won the opening set. Medvedev saved a set point against with a great shot.

So much better than yesterday already.

by martini4me How is ESPN serving anybody by showing two tie-breakers at once on one screen? Even with a large TV, it's tough to follow the ball, and then there's the added distraction of hearing the sound (ball strikes, footsteps, crowd noise) from the other court. Just choose one match to show us, and then switch over to show us the other match on replay when the first tie-breaker is over.

by meganfernandez Just incredible effort from Cornet (and Halep, for that matter). So happy for her. Wasn’t she one of the first players to speak out about Peng Shuai?

by dmforever I really enjoyed both of the women's singles matches today. They were really good, dramatic matches given the heat. And Collins vs Cornet for the semis. They can both win that match. And Cornet was super lovely in her talk with Jelena Dokic. This is the best of sport. :)

Kevin

by meganfernandez
dmforever wrote:I really enjoyed both of the women's singles matches today. They were really good, dramatic matches given the heat. And Collins vs Cornet for the semis. They can both win that match. And Cornet was super lovely in her talk with Jelena Dokic. This is the best of sport. :)

Kevin
It was a great match. So dramatic. The nostalgia at the end was so sweet!

I thought Collins might pull out of dubs, but no. She’s playing now. Might regret this.

by jazzyg That was one of the worst losses of Halep's career.

She fought well, but she could not hit a volley to save her life, and a butchered one at 30-0 in the game she was broken in the third set ultimately led to her doom.

The heat really got to her--she once had to default against Makarova in Washington when it was hotter than 100 degrees and she was staggering around the court-but I'm not sure why. I knew Cornet would come back strong in the third set because she always throws in horrid patches in her matches, but a top player needs to win that one. It reminded me of Halep's loss to Townsend at the U.S. Open a few years ago when Townsend played fantastic but Halep had plenty of chances to beat here in the third set, just like in this one,

by Deuce I only saw bits and pieces of the first 2 sets of Cornet-Halep, then saw all of the last half hour or so.
Though I didn't see the entire match, it was clear from the last half hour that the heat was oppressive during the match. Watching them fight and run and come up with shot after shot was mightily impressive.
It was one of those matches where it's really unfortunate that one of them had to lose. Both players did themselves proud.

Felix is now up 2 sets to 1 over Cilic.
Medvedev and Cressy are 5-5 in the 3rd, with Cressy cramping in his legs. Medvedev up 2 sets to love.

by Deuce Cressy took the 3rd set tiebreak.
I'm very impressed with Cressy. He's played 2 great tiebreaks vs. arguably the best player on tour right now. He came back after being 2 sets to love down - most players would be resigned to defeat down 2 sets to love vs. Medvedev. But he hung in there.

Not only is it great to see the serve & volley game back in tennis, but Cressy is also blasting some returns back. His timing is impressive. He'll even throw in a chip & charge once in a while - which is something he was doing more in previous matches, but it's admittedly tougher to do vs. Medvedev.

Cressy also reads his little note book of hand written notes on changeovers. This guy is straight out of the '80s.
And in addition to all that, he's great fun to watch. Great hands at the net, great timing, and great hand-eye co-ordination. His ranking will be up to 59 if he loses this match - he's been climbing up the rankings ladder quickly in the past few months. If he continues playing like this, he's definitely a solid top 30 player - maybe top 20.

by jazzyg Yes, very impressed by Cressy. He got into Medvedev's head and turned him into Fognini, spewing how he was hitting lucky shots repeatedly. Unfortunately for Cressy, Medvedev does not have Fognini's game.

Very entertaining match.

by Suliso Will be interesting to see if Cressy can reach the top 20 this year. If he can keep this level consistently chances are good.

by Deuce 7-5 Medvedev in the 4th to win the match.
But Cressy won even more fans - both among the crowd and among the commentators, the latter of which were praising him and saying how enjoyable it is to watch him.

And he frustrated Medvedev. At one point, Medvedev screamed "THIS IS SO BORING!"
No, Daniil, it is not boring at all. Just because the points are over more quickly in no way means it's boring. Quite the opposite. A serve & volley player playing a baseline player is actually significantly more exciting and enjoyable than is watching two baseliners hit the ball back & forth infinitely - which is what we've been subjected to for the past 20 years or so. Variety is good, and the contrast of serve & volley and baseline is much more interesting than yet more baseline vs baseline.

by mick1303 Don't put much stock in what the player shouts in the heat of the moment. I'm sure he was just venting frustration. When he will calm down after the match he will think differently.

by Deuce
mick1303 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 am Don't put much stock in what the player shouts in the heat of the moment. I'm sure he was just venting frustration. When he will calm down after the match he will think differently.
^ Yes, of course...

But sometimes, spontaneous exclamations during a match are a window into a player's psyche...
Case in point :D :o :
"A Nymphomaniac is Also a Nun"...

by Liamvalid Happy for Cornet, she’s played some entertaining matches over the years and is a quirky personality. It emphasises recent posts about mentality versus talent-she has shown the talent many times that she could possibly win a slam and be a top 20 mainstay, but she just doesn’t have the mentality to play that way consistently. It’s a great story for her to break her duck here at 32 years old.

by Suliso It would be funny if after all the talk about the imminent collapse of Sabalenka she would go on to win the title.

by Liamvalid Medvedev still complaining about his match:
"I don't know what I should do to play on centre courts in Slams," he said.

"I won the last Grand Slam, I'm highest seed here. To play against Maxime would be easier on Rod Laver, more space."

"When you play on a smaller court it's tougher to play somebody who does serve and volley than on a bigger court," added Medvedev, who was beaten by Novak Djokovic in last year's Melbourne final.

"It's like same in Wimbledon, I haven't even played on Centre, because I don't count the fifth set which I played after the rain, after being put on court two."

"I've played harder matches but this was long. It wasn't easy," said Medvedev.

"The fourth set was crazy. Every time I had a break point he would have second serves and hit the line. I couldn't return them."

"I don't like trash talking. I sometimes can unfortunately roll into this, but I don't like it, I try almost never to do it, especially against other players.

"Again, today was borderline. I don't think I actually said anything bad about Maxime but yeah borderline, where I am not really happy about it."
full article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60108098

by Deuce Sabalenka actually won the 1st set for a change...
Then she lost the 2nd decidedly.
In the 3rd, she double faulted the game away at 4-4 (3 double faults, I believe). So - 5-4 Kanepi. Then Kanepi blew 4 match points on her serve - which included a double fault at the first deuce, immediately followed by an ace... finally blowing the game. So - tied 5-5. Incredible.

Then they both hold to bring it to a tiebreak (10 point tiebreak). Naturally, they play the tiebreak quite even, essentially trading points to 7-7.
Kanepi thinks she wins the match at 9-7 in the tiebreak - then realizes she must win one more point to win the match...
Is this stuff scripted and rehearsed?

Finally, Kanepi does win the next point when Sabalenka has an open court and nets an easy backhand.
Unreal.

by Suliso Unbelievable events - Kanepi collapsed serving at 5-7, 6-2, 5-4, 40-0 (4 MP's in total). I thought she's a toast after that, but surprisingly she won the match tiebreak anyway. Aryna double faulting like a madwoman no doubt helped.

So Kanepi joins the not so long list of women who have reached QF's or better at all Slams. Curiously never further than that. This will be her 7th try.

Overall I'll be very surprised if the ultimate winner comes from this half of the draw.

by Suliso Tsitsipas survived his match with Fritz even though he shouldn't have. Taylor has 15 break points, but could break only twice...

by jazzyg Before his descent into choke-ville two years ago, Tsitsipas was establishing himself as one of the toughest players on tour. There was that match against Federer when he saved every break point. He was extremely clutch against RBA that same tourney.

I did not see any of this match, but following the scoreline in the fifth set I always expected Tsitsipas to win.

by Suliso
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:47 pm I did not see any of this match, but following the scoreline in the fifth set I always expected Tsitsipas to win.
In the fifth I did as well, but Fritz could have won in four.

by Liamvalid After the way Fritz let Nole off the hook here last year, I have never trusted him to close out a match

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:29 am I'm watching Felix-Cilic, where Felix saved a set point against in the 2nd set tiebreak, and converted on his 2nd set point. One set each.

Cressy put up a great fight. Medvedev was just too good, too sharp. The set point he saved in the in the 2nd was incredible.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:10 pm Unbelievable events - Kanepi collapsed serving at 5-7, 6-2, 5-4, 40-0 (4 MP's in total). I thought she's a toast after that, but surprisingly she won the match tiebreak anyway. Aryna double faulting like a madwoman no doubt helped.

So Kanepi joins the not so long list of women who have reached QF's or better at all Slams. Curiously never further than that. This will be her 7th try.

Overall I'll be very surprised if the ultimate winner comes from this half of the draw.
Barty is the heavy favorite, I think. But I haven't seen Swiatek play yet. And Cornet seems perhaps destined. I know, it's just wishful thinking. But Barty could get tight. She did two years ago against Kenin in the semis. You just never know,

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:44 am Happy for Cornet, she’s played some entertaining matches over the years and is a quirky personality. It emphasises recent posts about mentality versus talent-she has shown the talent many times that she could possibly win a slam and be a top 20 mainstay, but she just doesn’t have the mentality to play that way consistently. It’s a great story for her to break her duck here at 32 years old.
Such a good story. I'd say most players don't have the mentality to play their best week in and week out, with all the factors. Those people are champions, and they are few and far between. Cornet isn't a champion but she has given a champion's performance so far in this tournament. I think she can get to the final, depending on Swiatek. I don't think she would beat Barty but who the heck knows. Maybe it would be Keys or Krejcikova.

by ponchi101 If Barty beat Keys, she takes the title. If Keys wins it, totally open for anybody. By now, I am rooting for Cornet.
ROOTING. I don't think she gets it.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:08 am That was one of the worst losses of Halep's career.

She fought well, but she could not hit a volley to save her life, and a butchered one at 30-0 in the game she was broken in the third set ultimately led to her doom.

The heat really got to her--she once had to default against Makarova in Washington when it was hotter than 100 degrees and she was staggering around the court-but I'm not sure why. I knew Cornet would come back strong in the third set because she always throws in horrid patches in her matches, but a top player needs to win that one. It reminded me of Halep's loss to Townsend at the U.S. Open a few years ago when Townsend played fantastic but Halep had plenty of chances to beat here in the third set, just like in this one,
I think Halep played her guts out again, like AO 2018. I thought the effort to win the second set, then the incredible shots she hit to fight off the first two match points, were a true champion's performance. For me, the effort defined the match more than the score or a few missed shots.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm If Barty beat Keys, she takes the title. If Keys wins it, totally open for anybody. By now, I am rooting for Cornet.
ROOTING. I don't think she gets it.
I thought Barty played Keys in the quarter, but no, it's Pegula. I think Krejcikova beats Keys. Maybe Barty has another stumble in the quarters like she did last year vs Muchova. Suspenseful!

by dmforever I saw a little of Cressy-Medvedev. People were saying that because of the new string and racket technology serve and volley tennis is not a viable option anymore. I think Max has proven that wrong. Here is the deal. He's a very good vollyer, but he's not an excellent vollyer like Edberg, or McEnroe, or Navratilova, or even Federer. And as a very good vollyer, he has played Rafa and Medvedev close. I think his success might open up the door in people's minds that S and V could work.

This AO has been a good one so far, IMHO. :)

Kevin

by Suliso It's not just Barty. Keys and Krejcikova are also favorites over anyone in the bottom half.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:13 pm It's not just Barty. Keys and Krejcikova are also favorites over anyone in the bottom half.
I think I'd take Cornet and Swiatek over Keys. Unless Cornet doesn't serve well.

by meganfernandez
dmforever wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:09 pm I saw a little of Cressy-Medvedev. People were saying that because of the new string and racket technology serve and volley tennis is not a viable option anymore. I think Max has proven that wrong. Here is the deal. He's a very good vollyer, but he's not an excellent vollyer like Edberg, or McEnroe, or Navratilova, or even Federer. And as a very good vollyer, he has played Rafa and Medvedev close. I think his success might open up the door in people's minds that S and V could work.

This AO has been a good one so far, IMHO. :)

Kevin
Yeah, the returns are so fast. But Mischa Zverev said the upside is that a lot of players don't know how to play a S&Ver because they never come up against it, and he has seen advantages for that reason. So it just depends on if the opponent can adjust.

I hope more people try to S&V! At least have it as an option. It puts so much pressure on the return.

by JazzNU Cirstea let that match get away, she was the better player thru a good portion of that match, looked very much like the special player she was once projected to be. But as she typically does, she got too frustrated and it really derailed her chances and Iga stayed steady despite her own frustrations and was the much better player and competitor in the 3rd set.

But I've been less than impressed with Iga off of clay in the last year (she was amazing at that post-Aussie Open tournament on hard courts). There are matches like this that she probably should lose, but gets by them that make her results look somewhat decent, but overall, you don't get that same feeling that you do about her play that you do when you watch her on clay. I'm not sure about this coaching change, like what it's brought, not sure what's changed about her game or her approach.

by JazzNU Medvedev's behavior on court during his match against Cressy was objectionable. Bush league and not a good look from the top seed. ATP has a real likability problem at the top of the sport. And he's seemingly always "not happy" with his behavior post-match, but then goes and repeats the same thing in another match or two.

by MJ2004
JazzNU wrote:ATP has a real likability problem at the top of the sport.
Yep.

by ponchi101 I was wrong. I thought Keys played Barty. I say Keys/Krejcikova is a good 50/50 match.
The explanation of why S&V tennis died is simple. For Borg or Connors to pass McEnroe at the net, they needed a full swing. The racquet would not give you enough power by itself.
With the new technology, you get Novax, and Nadal, and basically everybody able to "bunt" the ball with enough power to pass you. By now, I agree with those that say that people have forgotten how to S&V; it is not "serve and sprint to the net and get the volley". There is a rhythm to it, and you really need a serve that propels your forward.
Too many details stopped it being effective. But during the 80's, when everybody said that the servers were gettting too powerful (Becker was the prototype) everybody got it wrong. Agassi showed that a few years later, creaming returns with a very short swing. If he swung at all.