B. Kuzuhara 1 vs J. Mensik 4

Night session - From 3:30am EST

Women's Singles • Final
A. Barty 1 vs D. Collins 27

Men's Doubles • Final
T. Kokkinakis WC/N. Kyrgios WC vs M. Ebden/M. Purcell

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by dmforever This is one of those matches where I want both of them to win. It's weird to have two strong rooting interests. :)

Kevin

by ashkor87 Barty will win 3 and 2, I predict..

by ashkor87 Barry's footwork a but off thus far...troubling sign

by ashkor87 Poor quality match! Wasn't expecting this...Barry's slice is not working at all today

by Deuce Barty won the 1st set 6-3.
Collins has played much better after her bracelet broke off her wrist. Probably just co-incidence :) .
Collins served for the 2nd set at 5-1, and was broken. Then Barty held...
Then Collins was broken again to get the set back on serve.
Collins seems to be blowing it. Nerves.
4-5 Barty serving now...

by texasniteowl wow. totally thought we were heading for a 3rd set but Barty is so tough. wow.

by skatingfan Congrats to Ash Barty

by Deuce She just took control at 1-5 in the 2nd set...

by Deuce Nice touch to have the wonderful ball girl who slyly grabbed Shapovalov's shattered racquet the other day be the ball kid selected to take part in the trophy presentation ceremony...

by Suliso How common is it to win AO without losing a set?

by texasniteowl I didn't realize the men's doubles final was all Aussie! I remembered that Kyrgios/Kokkinakis made the final, but hadn't realized Ebden/Purcell also did! Too bad it was on ESPN+ and I couldn't watch it. Place must be rockin' between Barty and Kokkinakis/Kyrgios!

by Deuce I had the start of the doubles final on my TV - just because I hadn't changed the channel after Barty's win... After 2 or 3 points of the doubles Final, I changed the channel, then got busy with other things while ignoring the TV completely (the tennis was not on the TV in any case)... and I completely forgot about the doubles Final.

I don't really mind, as I find Kyrgios and Kokkinakis rather obnoxious, plus Robbie Koenig and Brad Stine were doing the commentary. I deliberately avoided watching the men's doubles Semi because of this combination - so it's fine that I missed the Final. I would have liked to have seen how Kyrgios and Kokkinakis comported themselves in the trophy ceremony - but, honestly, that's not incredibly important, either.

by Liamvalid Outside the US Open it can’t be that common to have a doubles and singles champion at a home slam. The Brits had Murray and Watson in 2016 (I was there that day, rather drunk on Pimms!) Mary Pierce won singles and doubles at the 2000 French too. I wonder if there was a clean sweep ever at the US Open (might look it up on my break)

Edit: there was 4 or 5 occasions in the 70s and 80s where the mens singles and doubles, and ladies singles and doubles were won by Americans, but only one of the mixed doubles team was an American. But no time was there a clean sweep (in the Open Era anyways)

by Deuce
Liamvalid wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:54 pm Outside the US Open it can’t be that common to have a doubles and singles champion at a home slam. The Brits had Murray and Watson in 2016 (I was there that day, rather drunk on Pimms!) Mary Pierce won singles and doubles at the 2000 French too. I wonder if there was a clean sweep ever at the US Open (might look it up on my break)

Edit: there was 4 or 5 occasions in the 70s and 80s where the mens singles and doubles, and ladies singles and doubles were won by Americans, but only one of the mixed doubles team was an American. But no time was there a clean sweep (in the Open Era anyways)
Yeah - I would think that with McEnroe/Fleming and Navratilova/Shriver, that would be the case - after Navratilova 'became American'.

by ponchi101 A clean final. I went Barty in three because I thought the nerves would kick in sometime down the second, and they did, a bit. But she was able to get back in control.
Danielle will feel bad about losing that 5-1 lead, but I wonder if she is now in the conversation for a slam. Brady reached the final last year, and I would not put her in that conversation. Pavs too. Let's see how she does in the American summer tour.

by Suliso I think one needs more than one ramdom final to be in such a conversation.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:Poor quality match! Wasn't expecting this...Barry's slice is not working at all today
I think it was because Collins got down low and had good footwork. She handled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ashkor87 Yes but her slice was also flying out a lot initially..she didn't have control of it

by ashkor87 Looking ahead ro RG now, I am betting on Swiatek to win again..my reasoning is she did well on a surface that doesn't really suit her game, so when she gets to familiar clay, she will be formidable...all those spins will be very effective..

by ponchi101 I admire your bravery to predict the next RG even before the first clay court tournament has been played. I will stick to my favorite WTA player, Miss OTHER, to win RG. :)

by ashkor87 Yep, just like my prediction muguruza would win the AO..haha